• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft convinced second-screen gaming is the future

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
It's cool, but for the most part, I don't really care. I could take it or leave it.

What he's talking about is easily accomplished on a Wii U because every Wii U comes with the gamepad.

Zero PS4s will come with a tablet.

I understand that you mean a portable device rather than one that has to be within range, but if he's basically saying that they want to explore that option, then why not work with the Wii U and the 3DS?

How can it make more sense to do this with the PS4 and X1 but not with the Wii U?
I thought my post was quite clear. See Nirolak's comment above.

It's not about one person concurrently using a tablet within a controller.

It's about a game being played on a tablet screen or a TV screen independently by multiple people. Or the same game being played by the same person on the go via devices they already have.

What he's talking about could be accomplished on the Wii U if every system came with a separate controller sure, and had the processing power to run a separate game "instance" on the touch screen, while someone played the game, and/or as a companion app just like for the PS4 and XB1.

Why not explore interaction with the 3DS? Because there are over a billion smart devices out there, compared to the tens of millions of 3DS.

Burai

shitonmychest57
Dear Ubisoft, this makes the most sense on the Wii U, the system that actually had the foresight to merge tablet and controller together.

Dear Shard,

We've already released seven games for the Wii U. Do you know how many Nintendo released? Six. Fucking six. It's not like we haven't done our bit.

If Nintendo maybe gave as much of a fuck about the second screen as we did perhaps they wouldn't be in this mess.

Suck my balls,

Yves Guillemot.

TheD

The Detective
Nobody cares about second screen gaming. Seriously, that´s one of the dumbest ideas gaming companies had so far. And they keep going and going although a complete lack of interest has be shown by consumers over and over agan.

Yeah, it looks like a stupid fad (hopeful) to me.

If someone else is playing a game with you in the same room they would be unlikely to want to play a secondary role on a tablet instead of just playing the real game with you, no one that does not play console or PC games is going to get a tablet game that is based around interacting with a console or PC game, that pretty much just leaves one person trying to use both at the same time (which is fucking stupid) or being forced to buy both to get the full game experience.

Darmik

When they said they're not thinking about what they're doing for the WiiU's second screen they meant more for the online interactive tablet apps like what we saw on The Division. Obviously stuff like maps, hotkeys or anything used by the one player will work on the WiiU fine but playing on your tablet and interacting with your friends game isn't. That's all they meant. They weren't crapping on the WiiU but I really don't see why it couldn't support this feature as well.

I'm totally open to companion apps. Mass Effect 3 had something similar with iOS correct? Like you would recieve emails from your squadmates? Stuff like that is interesting to me. Stuff like creating /customizing characters or levels on the tablet, ready to play when I got home sound the most exciting possibility out of this to me. Or reading all of the boring lore bits that I might not be bothered to do if I was sitting down playing the game. There's a lot of possibilties here.

Just slapping a map, scoreboard, inventory management etc on the tablet is pointless and wouldn't feel anywhere near as natural as it does on WiiU. ZombiU is still something that would only work best on the WiiU as it's built around the second screen. If they're wanting to go for companion apps/tablet second screen it either needs to be a completely unique and seperate experience to the console game or an extension of the game that feels natural. I'm interested to see what they come up with.

Wouldn't the lack of success for the Wii U suggest that no one cares about second screen gaming?

Ubisoft seems really to be talking about tablet versions of their games or tablet extensions of said games. That's not really second screen, is it? I mean I just don't see myself playing a game and using my tablet at the exact same time. The DS works because the two screens share the same visual field.

At the end of the day, if companies really want to experiment with this, they need committed hardware (so they can make compelling software that any user can experience) and right now that is only the Wii U.

Please don't start with the PS4/Vita. It's going to be niche at best. When was the last time a $200 peripheral took off?

We've already released seven games for the Wii U. Do you know how many Nintendo released? Six. Fucking six. It's not like we haven't done our bit.

If Nintendo maybe gave as much of a fuck about the second screen as we did perhaps they wouldn't be in this mess.

Suck my balls,

Yves Guillemot.

Somewhere between ether and truth lies this post.

Perkel

Banned
People won't use it, simple as that. They don't fucking care about companion aps.

If i have to move my hand to do something and do not look at my tv then this is no go.

sakipon

They should've said optional portable companion apps are the future if that's what they meant. What they are describing is not using a second screen.

And I respectfully have to disagree about those kind of apps becoming important.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Well, if it makes that much sense and this is the future I guess we will see an Ubisoft companion app on 3ds, right? Right? Because the sales are there.

What I actually hope we will get as standard somewhere in the future is online multiplayer available for all the consoles and PC (even tablets - asynchronous), not fragmented.

Dear Shard,

Suck my balls,

Yves Guillemot.
Ouch...

Sounds like a waste of resources. With 50 people they could just make a complete game(s). Then again this is the company using 1000 people for AC4.

Edit: Wow at that Burai post!

Zaventem

I'm not going on some ipad/smartphone to play extra shit. I saw them already pushing it in wach dogs and division. They can fuck off.

dezzy8

If only Nintendo actually made a "Next-Gen" console these publishers wouldn't shit on them so much.

I just hope that they release these companion apps for the Vita also since that can be used with the PS4.

KeRaSh

I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.
If they really integrate this as an optional experience for a second person I don't mind it. I'd love to support my brother while he's playing or the other way around. It might be a fun experience.

-Currently they're focusing on PS4/XB1 with this, but will consider the Wii U if it makes sense. They said working on AC3's Wii U features was a big help in learning how to do this though.

Seeing as the Wii U was designed with a second screen as the core experience, the above comment is a massive contradiction. Perhaps they left out the word 'financial' before sense.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I like the idea for some games, but are people really so desperate to play multiplayer together that they need to be able to dial in from an ipad in an airport lounge?

why not just say there are areas where it can add some nice complimentary experiences and be done with it? Why the need for constant hyperbole.

and you do yourselves no favours saying tablets can use next gen engines. Hey, lets put people off buying expensive new games that we spend millions on

Second screen gaming in my eyes is what the WiiU is doing.

The example Ubisoft showed at E3 with the division is more like asymmetric local multiplayer.

It's awesome if it works. Having someone controlling a little drone whilst you're engaging in a firefight would be pretty rad. It's a clever way of doing local coop without having to tax the console HW with having to render two separate POVs.

Hope it does work though.

Edit:
Also mobile platforms will take 5 years to catch up to current gen consoles (in terms of raw computing performance - especially in CPU). It will take more than two decades on top of that, combined with revolutionary new battery technologies (i.e. perennially 10 years away) to have mobile platforms hit the kind of peak compute performance of XB1 and PS4. Mobile platforms even have the benefit of the latest and greatest manufacturing technologies too, but as has already been said many times will hit the same performance walls as consoles, given the diminishing returns of moving to lower and lower process nodes from here on out.

The_Monk

I saw some focus on using Tablets on the upcoming gen, but for some games, won't the PS Vita or just a Laptop will work for some of those actions?

Or is it really a Tablet only thing fellow GAFfers?

Sirius

They said working on AC3's Wii U features was a big help in learning how to do this though.

I have AC3 on Wii U. Want to know what they did to make use of the GamePad's features? Let me give you a clue:

its-fucking-nothing-spongebob-gif.gif

fabprems

Frankly, PR BS is maybe the only reason I look forward to the next gen, cause in the last few years, PR people were getting kind of boring, you have to admit it.

"With Assassin's Creed III, we were involved on the Wii U version. The Wii U was kind of the pioneer of the connected tablet interface. This gave us some ideas for the first iteration of tablets connected with console games," said Rioux.
(...)
"It's not confirmed yet, but if it's possible to do it and it makes sense, yes we will provide some kind of experience on the Wii U. Our focus is on the new generation of Microsoft and Sony consoles," explained Rioux.

Simply beautiful.

Top Bottom