• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| August 2017 | Gwenpool's milkshake brings all the boys to the yard

mreddie

So it's safe to say Metal #1 already blew Empire #1 out of the water?

I hate doing the Marvel vs. DC stuff but I'll take DC Megazord over HYDRA Cap Brock Lesnar anyday.

error4041

Royals #6 Ewing is basically grabbing every loose end and plot element related to the Inhumans and Space and trying it all together and it is great, Medusa was super-badass this issue, Maximus is a dick that quickly gets put in his place, Crystal and Gorgon get some nice character moments. More people need to be reading this book, so far it's a fantastic space journey/drama that moves at a brisk pace.

mreddie

Speaking of...

DHZActjU0AEbq6L.jpg

DHZActjU0AIewA4.jpg

Fuck me...

VanWinkle

Now, as cool as Hickman would be on Legion of Super-Heroes, the writer I'd want most on the team is Geoff Johns. Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes and Final Crisis: Legion of Three Worlds told me that he can NAIL the tone and drama and action of the team in a way that hearkens beautifully back to 80s Paul Levitz.

Messi

Al Ewing said on Twitter he didn't let the secret out that it was the last issue because some people stop buying the comic when they know in advance that it's ending.

Apparently Royals isn't solicited past #14 so it sounds like that could be ending too. Wonder if he's moving onto something else after the post-Legacy relaunch.

Royals hasn't been solicited past #9 which is the first issue of a new story arc. The reason it hasn't been solicited is because the November solicits aren't out yet.

Sandfox

Royals hasn't been solicited past #9 which is the first issue of a new story arc. The reason it hasn't been solicited is because the November solicits aren't out yet.
Based on the description for the third trade I would assume it's ending with 14. It looks like the story will wrap up though.

mreddie

Based on the description for the third trade I would assume it's ending with 14. It looks like the story will wrap up though.

Ewing on 4 series 4 months ago and now likely 1 and that maybe isn't lasting long by the end of the year either.

Geez.

I think Ewing should stop tying in his books to events.

Sandfox

Ewing on 4 series 4 months ago and now likely 1 and that maybe isn't lasting long by the end of the year either.

Geez.

The problem is that he likes to write stuff with niche appeal and he isn't a big enough name to get away with it in addition to linewide issues on Marvel's end. He needs a higher profile book.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Finally got around to reading Dark Days: The Forge, I hope this mystery has a cool conclusion 'cus Snyder did a pretty great job hyping it up in this issue.

Kurdel

Banned
Ultimates 100-Fuck yeah! Blue Marvel got the best line.

Yeah that was amazing

I will really miss Al Ewing, the entire Ultimates run has been my favorite Marvel comic. I don’t honestly don’t think it can get more epic than that, I wonder where the next writer will take it.

I started playing Marvel Super Heroes Omega

It's not very fun.
It's Wolverine. Same nonsense, different face. Hell, most of Wolverine's shtick makes more sense coming from Old Man Logan.

Agreed. As entertaining as Logan retiring his ways and becoming a principal is, that could only last so long. Old Man Logan being a cantankerous "Doing what I gotta do" bastard is great, and then Laura is the superhero. It just works.
Some Newsarama interviews:

Exclusive Cover/Solicitation Reveal: ”Detective Comics" #968

Anyone catch the callback?

He needs a new costume, though.

Tim looks a little older there, almost Nightwing age.
He looked like he got aged up at Rebirth regardless.

You mean you hope they don't turn out to be a bunch of jobbers like the Victim Syndicate.

The Victim Syndicate will return! Mark my words, they will!

8bit

Knows the Score

Geez.

I don't think he will have any say over his books being included in events, but they do seem to harm the flow of his stories.

Mafro

The problem is that he likes to write stuff with niche appeal and he isn't a big enough name to get away with it in addition to linewide issues on Marvel's end. He needs a higher profile book.
He would've been perfect for Fantastic Four.

I don't think he will have any say over his books being included in events, but they do seem to harm the flow of his stories.
The Civil War II tie-ins almost brought the flow to a complete halt. It was so annoying.

Metal was pretty fun

I think I may possibly be the only one who thought the beginning bit with
voltron JL was pretty stupid, but I get where they were going with it, the over top crazy Metal theme there going for

The rest of it I really enjoyed though, with stuff going back to Multiversity, Red Tornado, challengers of the unkown back, the batman/hawman stories tying together, plus you know the Batman riding with a dinosuar joke did make me laugh.

Makes me laugh how Snyder was saying before you wouldn't need to know any previous DC stuff to read it though. Unless you've read Casting, Forge and a lot of older DC stuff people will probably have no clue whats going on. I mean I've read both and know a bit of DC history but I still see loads of new stuff when I look at the explained guides online afterwards.

Makes me excited how deep the story seems to be going though, with the main Metal issues, the dark batmen issues, individual series tie ins, then a few seperate story issues later in the run (
batmen lost, hawkman found
). From the interviews sounds like some crazy stuff too
(each of the evil batmen having there own evil bat caves with there own dinosaurs ha)

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Thanks @Jordan for the post. Metal sounds great but if its another of these DC events I am gonna skip. No point in buying it when I have no idea what the fuck is going on.
Other people will get more out of it

Love this.
So, are the Ultimates back for real?

Thanks @Jordan for the post. Metal sounds great but if its another of these DC events I am gonna skip. No point in buying it when I have no idea what the fuck is going on.

I think if people read just the casting, the forge then into Metal they will be able to pick up the basics and enjoy it for the all out action and crazyness, but I think people who have a bit more knowledge of DC history or are willing to look at some of the Metal explained guides online will probably get the most out of it. It almost seems like Snyders love letter to the DC universe.

Happy Birthday, dude!

Can anyone tell me what Metal is about? I'm thinking about jumping on some DC stuff again.

I imagine some people on here would be able to explain things better than me, but the basic setup is Batman is investigating a conspiracy years old where various items across the DC universe are filled with a mystery energy (Dr Fates helmet, Hawkmans Mace etc). He finds that this energy is nothing of the known universe so investigating it leads him to hints of a dark multiverse. Almost a dark version of the dc multiverse, but whatever force is on this other side is trying to use Batman to cross over and invade the DC multiverse. Also on the dark multiverse side are other dark evil versions of batman based on the other justice league characters.

Also the whole series has a theme of full on Metal rock and roll, full of action and full of crazyness. Like I said seems to be Snyders love letter to the DC universe.

If my description above seems too spoilery someone please let me know and I'll spoiler tag stuff.

Mafro

Brief summary of what happens
The Maker brings back Ultimate Cap, Iron Man, Hulk, Giant Man and Wasp to fight the Ultimates2. When they are both fighting, the original Ultimates have flashbacks to their previous existence and stop fighting asking the Maker what's going on who then kills Ultimate Cap for questioning it. Monica kills the Maker, a bunch of other stuff happens and the original Ultimates remain (minus Cap) and go on a quest in the Multiverse to kill the other versions of the Maker left over after Secret Wars. No idea why Ultimate Thor wasn't there too but I guess it's because of all the stuff with Ultimate Mjolnir and Volstag

Shame the series is over but it was a really, really good finale.

tim1138

Loving the new avatar Tim, loved that panel in the issue

Thanks! It's such a perfect Plas moment.

What's the verdict on Metal? Looks like I might jump in.

It was great. Big, dumb fun that references most of the DCU and past continuity, but at the same time you don't really need to think too hard about it to enjoy it. Even I, someone who has never liked a Scott Snyder comic, enjoyed it!

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Brief summary of what happens
The Maker brings back Ultimate Cap, Iron Man, Hulk, Giant Man and Wasp to fight the Ultimates2. When they are both fighting, the original Ultimates have flashbacks to their previous existence and stop fighting asking the Maker what's going on who then kills Ultimate Cap for questioning it. Monica kills the Maker, a bunch of other stuff happens and the original Ultimates remain (minus Cap) and go on a quest in the Multiverse to kill the other versions of the Maker left over after Secret Wars. No idea why Ultimate Thor wasn't there too but I guess it's because of all the stuff with Ultimate Mjolnir and Volstag

Shame the series is over but it was a really, really good finale.

Maybe its going to be better when I read this, cause it reads a bit eh.

Vic_Viper

What is the best recent Legion book for someone that hasnt read much of the series? And what is the difference between the roster in Legion Lost (New 52) compared to the Levitz roster? I remember reading some of the Legion Lost book but had no idea who any of the characters were at the time lol. Did Abbnet and Lanning write a Legion book?

Surprised Morrison and Johns didnt use the Legion character more than they did.

Vic_Viper

Anyone that's a fan of Hickman's Fantastic Four/Avengers really needs to read the series if they haven't already because it's basically the next best thing.

I agree with this. I haven't read Ultimates2(squared) yet, but have read the first series and it's completely different from anything else Marvel is putting out currently. From what I've seen of the last few books and finale though leads me to think they will be doing a new book with characters from the Ultimate universe. Not positive but it sure seems like they are setting up the return of their world in some form.

Don't want an entire line of books again but it would be pretty neat to see a lot of characters back in the fold post Secret Wars. Especially Maker. I know he's had a few appearances since SW but nothing major. He seemed like one of the best new villains to come from Marvel in a long time.

Top Bottom