• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First look of Metro: Last Light on PS4

Getting a game to 60fps 1080p isn't hard. Getting it to 1080p 60fps with good visuals is. As they never say what the equivalent settings to PC the games are running at, saying it's 1080p 60fps is meaningless. This could be on PC equivalent low settings, and they'd still get praised for getting it to 60fps...

Okay....
Metro-Last-Light-4k-gallery-thumb-5.jpg

Exactly. And the 60 frames tell me they had to turn down lot of the good stuff. I personally hoped for 1080p and 30 frames with great textures.

Not again... We already have Second Son that looks basically better on ps4 than any pc game and still run at more than 30 fps so of course it's possible. And that's just the start. Ac4 or kz run great too.

Consoles are not pc, when will you understand that? You gain a massive boost by optimizing for a single hardware and you have low level api, plus pc gets shitty ports anyway since devs don't care about pc. So of course you get more for your money in hardware on consoles...

This will be a very long gen for pc elitists.

Like I said, I would love to be proven wrong because I mainly play on console. Just being realistic that's all.

I didn't even know what Vines are until today. Another silly social media thing.
Not a good way to show off your game. Off screen cam'd it looks awful.
I've already played it, but I wouldn't mind replaying on PS4 at a decent price.

Shredderi

Seems like there is something else to this than just what we are expecting. Really hope it is something cool and unexpected. Should it turn out to be something cool then I would gladly support these devs and by the PS4 version.

StuBurns

Banned
Plenty? Last time I checked 5GB total memory (3Gb reserved for OS) isn't a lot when it's also the VRAM.
Nvidia believe so.
Ordinarily, this level of detail would require gigabytes of system memory and GPU VRAM, but thanks to a highly efficient streaming system Last Light’s world uses less than 4GB of memory, and less than 2GB of VRAM, even at 2560x1440 with every setting enabled and maxed out.

Leb

Ordinarily, this level of detail would require gigabytes of system memory and GPU VRAM, but thanks to a highly efficient streaming system Last Light’s world uses less than 4GB of memory, and less than 2GB of VRAM, even at 2560x1440 with every setting enabled and maxed out.

Yeah, the game ran ridiculously well on a 680 with a paltry 2 GB VRAM. The downside to the streaming system, however, was the texture pop-in, which was regrettably fairly noticeable even on a system with a beefy CPU, GPU and SSD.

Readingaid

Neo Member
My daily intake of GAF has severely dwindled due to the PC master race coming up with all sorts odd and obscure arguments to back up their investments in threads that literally have nothing to do with PC

maneil99

I remember them saying they were working on a stand alone MP. Maybe that will be included and sold separately on PSN/Steam?

ref

Shame some visual sacrifices are going to need to be made to get this 1080p @ 60. No way it's near maxed out settings... but who knows, I wonder how it would run with Advanced DOF off, Physx off and instead of MSAA/SS, some form of SMAA or FXAA. I'd be alright with that, lower settings though... might as well play it on PC if you have a good enough computer.

I actually own both on PC, but have not played LL yet. I'd like to pick it up for PS4 since I need stuff to play on it.

LordOfChaos

Hot dog. I'm sure there will have to be visual compromises, but even targetting 60FPS for such an advanced game on a console is pretty neat.

Not again... We already have Second Son that looks basically better on ps4 than any pc game and still run at more than 30 fps so of course it's possible. And that's just the start. Ac4 or kz run great too.

Consoles are not pc, when will you understand that? You gain a massive boost by optimizing for a single hardware and you have low level api, plus pc gets shitty ports anyway since devs don't care about pc. So of course you get more for your money in hardware on consoles...

This will be a very long gen for pc elitists.

code to the metal am i righht bro

I played the shit out of this game on PC...it was just so fun. I literally re-played a few encounters in the game over 50+ times going at them different ways just because it was so fun.

MaLDo

If you compare optimization between pc version of 2033 and last ligth, difference is incredible. Since LL, 4A worked in a new set of tweaks. All those optimizations in the last engine version will be available for both games in the redux edition. For ng platforms and pc, so I guess will be a similar case than Tomb raider where they cut here and there where is hardly visible for regular eyes but add some fancy new effects with great performance. I think 2033 redux edition on pc will have a lot higher framerate than original version with better visuals (using some low precision shaders, I guess).

coastel

So far these remakes are working out nice for me as i have not played any of the metros, well kinda of but was on psn and didn't want to play it knowing at the time the remakes was coming, Also never played the last of us and tomb raider.
60fps is great regardless of small cut backs to resolution or detail (if there is which is highly likely).

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I'm currently playing this game on the PS3 and I've watched several video of it running on high end PCs and I still can't quite put my finger on how people are fooled into believing this is a graphical masterpiece. The graphics are good but not incredible. Perhaps it's the complexity of the environments that fools people into thinking the graphics are great? The presentation is pretty interesting though and definitely makes me want to finish it. I haven't got a clue why people sell this game because of it's graphics though ... very odd.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I'm currently playing this game on the PS3 and I've watched several video of it running on high end PCs and I still can't quite put my finger on how people are fooled into believing this is a graphical masterpiece. The graphics are good but not incredible. Perhaps it's the complexity of the environments that fools people into thinking the graphics are great? The presentation is pretty interesting though and definitely makes me want to finish it. I haven't got a clue why people sell this game because of it's graphics though ... very odd.
Watching a video of the game on a high-end PC isn't the same as seeing on a high-end PC in person. No one is being fooled into thinking the graphics are great.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Watching a video of the game on a high-end PC isn't the same as seeing on a high-end PC in person. No one is being fooled into thinking the graphics are great.

Yes it is. Playing the game on the PS3 shows me it's not a graphical showcase too. It doesn't matter how high the resolution is, you can still tell when a game has great graphics. It's good, yes, but other games blow it away.

Professor Pew

Neo Member
One thing I want to know though why that (MATURE) thing in the Twit?

There are specific ESRB guidelines for using Vines to promote video games, so we had to insert the [MATURE] bit in the text of each tweet for that reason. Just using our own voice to shout "PROBABLY RATED M FOR MATURE" in each Vine, while holding up a makeshit ESRB sign, was sadly not an option.

This is also why you sometimes see "[M]" in YouTube trailer tweets from, say, @xbox: https://twitter.com/Xbox/status/468786988423065600

Video games!

Wray

Does the PC version have Global Illumination?

I'm curious as to what other effects could be implemented that the PC version didn't have? TressFX? Particle Lighting? Weather?

Does the PC version have Global Illumination?
I'm curious as to what other effects could be implemented that the PC version didn't have? TressFX? Particle Lighting? Weather?

The original game has a dynamic global illumination system on PC that is activated through an .ini.

Beyond that, no... just hand placed arist lights.

They will in all likelihood not add "new graphical effects" to the PS4 version. That is to metro LL... metro 2033 is probably getting the engine overhaul and will look and run fantastic.

Kimppis

When was this announced!? The first next/current-gen announcement that I've missed. OMFG... My copy of Metro 2033 is still unplayed and a while ago I was wondering should I get the 360 or PS3 version of Last Light. Well, PS4 it is then, lol.

EDIT: So 2033 is (probably) going to be included too? It's getting even better.

Danneee

Just started Last Light on PC and it's soooo much better than the first! One of the best shooters of the last decade imo.

Shin

Banned
This is a bit old, but a very touching story and my heart and support goes out to these guys.There was also a EuroGamer interview a while back where they explained some technical stuff that was really awesome to read.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...etro-last-light-is-the-triumph-of-an-underdog

On top of that they delivered 2 great games in the Metro series so far, so I'm definitely going to buy this for the PS4 (double dipping) as well.
Metro is such a unique experience, graphically, atmosphere, story...it all comes nicely together IMO.

Them achieving 60fps is rather impressive, but what can you expect from a bunch of skilled developers that live and breath gaming.
Awesome stuff A4Games, keep them coming!

Raptor

There are specific ESRB guidelines for using Vines to promote video games, so we had to insert the [MATURE] bit in the text of each tweet for that reason. Just using our own voice to shout "PROBABLY RATED M FOR MATURE" in each Vine, while holding up a makeshit ESRB sign, was sadly not an option.

This is also why you sometimes see "[M]" in YouTube trailer tweets from, say, @xbox: https://twitter.com/Xbox/status/468786988423065600

Video games!

Thank you!

:)

Top Bottom