• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think Switch brings mutual perfection to a long-standing issue

So I wanted to bring something up that has long bugged me about gaming. I just recently got a Switch after being a holdout and noticed something I feel to be pretty huge.

For the longest time, I’ve had issues with where games were going. I would buy these $400 console expecting to use it to make the most of its technology, and we have been flooded by a bunch, albeit great, Indie games that appear to be better played on a handheld. Gosh how much I wanted to play Stardew Valley on like the Vita or 3DS when it came out for PS4 last year, but it was trapped on the TV (unless you get Remote Play working). Then you got console-grade handheld games that seemed to always get pressured into making console releases anyway, like Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, Resident Evil Revelations and Tearaway. It just felt like there were some cool technical marvels going on, but also some inefficiencies.

Then the Switch came along and as soon as I got it, it was like all that skepticism I had just melted away. I was playing Golf Story, and it just felt so good to play in my hands. And since Switch is strong enough to handle Unreal Engine 4 and games like NBA 2K18, it just feels like the perfect marriage between a console and a handheld I’ve never experienced before.

I call it mutual perfection, because what the Switch does is it bring games that are probably best for a handheld, like Golf Story and Stardew Valley, onto a system that is a handheld, but has the added bonus of being able to play it on TV.

Likewise, the Switch is getting console games with the added bonus of being able to play them in the go. It just feels like one of the best all-around systems I’ve ever had after playing games for nearly 30 years.

Just some thoughts I wanted to share in my early experience with the Switch.

TheExodu5

Banned
Yup, been a game changer for me.

So often I'd want to rebuy PC Indies on Vita for portability, but was faced with the issue of being permanently stuck with portable. Switch is just a no brainer for me at this point. Given equal technical performance, I'll go with the Switch over whatever the alternative is. Of course, equal technical performance is not always the case (grrr.... Overcooked), but more often than not, I've been very happy moving my indie purchases to Switch.

PS4 and Vita Cross-Buy/Cross-Save games offered nearly the same benefits, but they were incredibly rare. So many games were either Cross-Buy only (e.g. Undertale), or Cross-Save only (e.g. FF X/X-2).

It's a pretty incredible reinvention of how we play games. I find myself enjoying games more simply because of how flexible it is to play them.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Yep, no longer have to take up my TV. If I feel like playing 5 minutes, its just there.

Yep. I've been playing more games than I have since I was a kid, mostly because I've got more opportunities to sneak in game time with the Switch. Crazy how a few minutes here and there can add up so fast.

Edit: LOL Now I want a shirt with a Switch on the front and "Yep." written on the back.

Si2k78

It’s been quite the revelation for me. I was drifting away from gaming ever since getting the ps4. The switch has brought me back in a big way. And with the benefit of having Nintendo games, at least I know I’ll be able to enjoy gaming in its purest sense, i.e- properly tested games, and full games at retail. Day one patches, micro transactions, pay to play or pay to win scams have not been good for gaming... and one of the reasons why I was drifting away.

It's been quite the revelation for me. I was drifting away from gaming ever since getting the ps4. The switch has brought me back in a big way. And with the benefit of having Nintendo games, at least I know I'll be able to enjoy gaming in its purest sense, i.e- properly tested games, and full games at retail. Day one patches, micro transactions, pay to play or pay to win scams have not been good for gaming... and one of the reasons why I was drifting away.

I get what you're saying, but Nintendo is no stranger to the day one patch.

And they're already well versed in microtransactions, with their mobile offerings and some F2P titles on 3DS. So, that's an area they'll likely embrace on the Switch at some point.

OCD Guy

I love the Switch but I'm hoping the success of it makes Sony rethink making another portable device.

If I could access games on my PS4 library on a handheld I'd be in heaven.....(PS Vita remote play doesn't count)

Sony aside, I'm really pleased to see such a variety of games coming to the Switch, especially the more "mature" games. I'd love to get GTA V, and Dark Souls and it would be over.....

Coricus

Yep, the only synthesis of docked and portable gaming done right since the gaming laptop.

I feel like it does something a bit different than a gaming laptop.

A laptop doesn't have the button positioning to be used comfortably while standing up nor the proportions to readily be carried around anywhere or slipped into nearly as many bags. The Switch is far better at being portable at the cost of having a smaller feature set.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

And they're already well versed in microtransactions, with their mobile offerings and some F2P titles on 3DS. So, that's an area they'll likely embrace on the Switch at some point.

Don't forget Amiibo shit.

Peltz

Yep, the only synthesis of docked and portable gaming done right since the gaming laptop.

Yep, no longer have to take up my TV. If I feel like playing 5 minutes, its just there.

Yep, you can play games on the Switch.

Yep. I've been playing more games than I have since I was a kid, mostly because I've got more opportunities to sneak in game time with the Switch. Crazy how a few minutes here and there can add up so fast.

giphy.gif

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Agreed. I had my doubts, but it managed to change a 32 years old habit single handedly. And like hell I want to get back

Piscus

If I could access games on my PS4 library on a handheld I'd be in heaven.....(PS Vita remote play doesn't count).

I don't have a Vita, so out of curiosity, why doesn't it count? Isn't the PS4 library on a handheld exactly what PS Vita remote play does?

OCD Guy

I don't have a Vita, so out of curiosity, why doesn't it count? Isn't the PS4 library on a handheld exactly what PS Vita remote play does?

There's too many compromises. Firstly you need to be connected to a decent wi-fi, 60fps games play at half the framerate (well it did when I owned one, not sure if that's changed), there's buttons missing so you have to resort to makeshift replacements.

What I want is a portable device that has access to the same library the way the PS4 base model and Pro does, an evolution of Steam as it were, lot's of devices, one library.

Infact if I remember rightly I'm sure that was Nintendo's vision, didn't they have an image floating about showing something like that? Multiple devices in an eco system with access to the same library

edit: Damn there actually is 60fps remote play, well that's fucking big.

Juan

So many times while playing games on my Xbox I've been thinking: "Hey man, I want to keep playing, but I just to play anywhere else than in my living room".

The Switch was the answer I was looking for, and I actually can't wait to have more games on it (like 1st party games) like Smash Bros, Metroid, Pokémon and so on.

It's also a perfect consoles for indie games since I didn't gave much about indies on my Xbox/PC because I always thought those are great games, but games I want to play on the go, and sometimes on a TV. Now I can thanks to the Switch.

On another note, I enjoy my purchase of the Switch, but not as much as I was expecting it. Maybe I don't have enough games to really enjoy it for now, but I hope I will find arcade-games-like in a near future I would enjoy from anywhere.

Kureransu

I love the Switch but I'm hoping the success of it makes Sony rethink making another portable device.

If I could access games on my PS4 library on a handheld I'd be in heaven.....(PS Vita remote play doesn't count)

Sony aside, I'm really pleased to see such a variety of games coming to the Switch, especially the more "mature" games. I'd love to get GTA V, and Dark Souls and it would be over.....
I don't think the market allows for any company to support two platforms anymore, and they have a lock on the standard home console market (at least currently), do I don't think they'll venture to far from what currently works.

One think that hasn't been mentioned that really toes all this together is just how far you get into games with the switch. Especially if you're playing a single game. If you have five minutes to play, you literally lose 5 seconds (if you're suspended) of that five minutes losing the game up which is amazing.

Si2k78

There is a big difference. Even though I know BOTW will have story dlc. I feel completely satisfied with what is on my cartridge.

OCD Guy

I don't think the market allows for any company to support two platforms anymore, and they have a lock on the standard home console market (at least currently), do I don't think they'll venture to far from what currently works.

I agree with your comment about supporting two platforms, but only in the traditional way e.g the way Nintendo had a home console, and handheld with two different libraries. Having two different pieces of hardware with access to a single library is not an issue though. We're already there with consoles, and it's only a matter of time before a mobile device can match a base PS4.

phanphare

Banned
it's an amazing device, yes

as you said the flexibility is great. I think mutual perfection is a good way to put it. you've got lots of these perfect handheld experiences like many of the indie games coupled with lots of these perfect console/tv experiences but you're still free to play them however you want. there's a game you've been playing on the tv for hours but now you want to keep playing but don't have access to the tv at the moment? no problem. want to see what steamworld dig 2 looks like on the big screen? no problem

Triteon

I like my switch well enough but I don't understand everyone praise its portability, its fucking huge.

I used to carry my vita around when I was really into a game, and I did give this a go with the switch but its too bulky to slip in the front pocket of my bag like my vita (forget about a pocket, even cargo pants will have problems. Also its wide so playing it in cramped places (like trains) is a little awkward so I gave up.

The only time I've felt comfortable playing in transport was on a plane.

So my Switch doesn't really leave my house, which means portability is meaningless, so why not play with the more comfortable Pro controller on a big TV?

It might be good for people who only have one TV but how many households is that?

If the Switch is Nintnedo's proper portable successor I'm looking forward to a smaller revision.

Kureransu

I agree with your comment about supporting two platforms, but only in the traditional way e.g the way Nintendo had a home console, and handheld with two different libraries. Having two different pieces of hardware with access to a single library is not an issue though. We're already there with consoles, and it's only a matter of time before a mobile device can match a base PS4.
You currently have that with the ps4 and PS4 pro, but I think the productions line share enough parts that the cost of making them both is mitigated. The pro represents about 20% if PS4 sales these days. I don't know if they made a mobile version of the PS4 they would have to use a different media format for it or it be digital only which I don't know would be cost efficient.

That said, the next console would have to be gimped a but to be able to run on both in my opinion.

norm9

Agreed. There's times I wanna play my xbox but also watch some tv at the same time. Can't do that.

So my Switch doesn't really leave my house, which means portability is meaningless, so why not play with the more comfortable Pro controller on a big TV?

It might be good for people who only have one TV but how many households is that?

If the Switch is Nintnedo's proper portable successor I'm looking forward to a smaller revision.

I'm not facing the tv if I lay down on the couch. Switch solves my laziness.

OCD Guy

I like my switch well enough but I don't understand everyone praise its portability, its fucking huge.

I used to carry my vita around when I was really into a game, and I did give this a go with the switch but its too bulky to slip in the front pocket of my bag like my vita (forget about a pocket, even cargo pants will have problems. Also its wide so playing it in cramped places (like trains) is a little awkward so I gave up.

I get what you mean, but for me personally I'd liken the portability (and convenience) of the Switch to a Tablet. They're not "pocketable" but even around the house they make more sense to quickly browse the web, consume media etc than be tethered down to one spot i.e the tv, or in a tablet's case, a desktop pc.

I've seen the argument before about the Switch portability being meaningless if you don't take it out of the house, but I don't believe you need to take an Ipad out of the house to have any value out of it either. Infact you could ask why people bother using a 13" laptop when you can sit at a desk with a 32" 4k monitor?

If I'm honest I've not even used the dock, like at all, and if I was going to use my Switch connected to a tv I'd probably avoid certain games. Take Wolfenstein or Doom, why would I play the worst version on the TV when I could buy it on the Xbox One X? But playing those games on a portable device wherever I like makes a purchase worth it.

I think that's why games like Stardew valley make sense for many people. It's the type of game you can have a quick blast on, infront of the tv, even if it's only for 5 minutes. Whereas not many people would play a console for 5 minutes. Hell I do the same with Zelda, do a quick shrine while chilling infront of the tv. If I had to boot the console, load it up etc I wouldn't bother for 5 minutes.

The same principle applied to desktop pcs for the average consumer, e.g having to boot up the pc to check the web, when now you can do it instantly on a "portable" device.

Ultimately for me the Switch let's me game when I probably wouldn't be gaming.....

I have zero problems playing on the train, and i ride the crowded ass Lexington ave line in NYC.

PrimeBeef

Also its wide so playing it in cramped places (like trains) is a little awkward so I gave up.
Last time I checked the Switch is not wider than most peoples shoulders or waists. So I really don't buy this argument. Even id you are squeezed in shoulder to shoulder you have plenty of room.

ryushe

Same. The amount of games I've completed since I've gotten the Switch is insane. Before the Switch I used to complete two to four games a year. With the switch I've now completed at least a dozen. 5 minutes here and there really does add up. I mean, I have over 200 hours in Zelda. There's NO way that would've happened if I were tethered to a TV.

Man, I remember playing Persona 5 shortly after I completed Zelda and Jesus, was that rough.

There is a big difference. Even though I know BOTW will have story dlc. I feel completely satisfied with what is on my cartridge.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I'm incredibly satisfied with their offerings so far this gen.

But I do think Nintendo will start to implement more standard industry practices as time goes on this cycle. Hopefully it doesn't interfere too much with their flagship titles though.

Coricus

I use a glorified beach bag to carry around my stuff because the pockets on every pair of pants I have are so small that a wallet wouldn't even fit, let alone my base model DS/3DS that hang precariously out on the verge of falling when I'm just standing. The Switch lives. . .dinged up from bad storage prior to getting a case, but it gets use.

. . .Women's clothing industry apparently thinks practicality isn't feminine enough. But my gaming habits get the last laugh.

It doesn't fit in the front pocket of my fanny pack like the others, but as long as I'm not using my even bulkier case the main pocket works. I like. . .kinda need that case and my bag is more convenient, though.

The Switch is great for waiting at restaurants, doctor's appointments, the DMV, etc.

I get a bit carsick with it but eh.

Overall it's portable enough for me. It already gets more time outside on average than my DS and 3DS did.

Usobuko

Banned
The only kind of games I preferred on portable than big screens are

- Turn-based / Menu Command
- Top down view / Not 3D

forrest

formerly nacire
It's a great piece of kit and definitely has me trying and experiencing more indie sized games.

I would still like to see a more ergonomic portable mode as well as a dock that can boost performance. Would easily become the GOAT for me at that point.

Coricus

It's portable, but not portable portable. There's definitely a refresh in the pipeline in the next year.
The battery is almost as big as the system and the tech isn't really moving forward.

I'm not sure if it's even possible to compress it this gen, let alone within 18 months of release.

Top Bottom