• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Artist spotlighted by NYT and Vice is plagairizing anime and manga

Nothing really wrong with tracing in general, lots of professional artists do it. It's just kind of shitty that this person does a 1:1 copy

Although I don't really think it's that big a deal if they're collaging multiple pieces together. More egregious things have been done in the past. The original artists should get credit and probably a portion of the sales too though.

Herr is being completely disengenous in this thread.

Probably because she's pretty. He did start out with posting a picture of her.

Yeah, nice one dude. I quoted the picture from someone else in the thread. And I was loling because it looked like the definition of hipster on instagram. I don't subscribe to that shit at all. I don't find her attractive.

I don't see what her appearance has to do with the actual conversation at all, but maybe you do, and every other poster saying stuff like "white knighting" and also bringing up the gender of what's going on.

And people became apparently "appalled" when I said this kind of feels like gamergate. "It's about ethics in giving props on instagram".

Ostrava

Neo Member
No integrity, I can't believe people would actually defend this practice at the very least they could give credit to the original artist.

Yeah, nice one dude. I quoted the picture from someone else in the thread. And I was loling because it looked like the definition of hipster on instagram. I don't subscribe to that shit at all. I don't find her attractive.

I don't see what her appearance has to do with the actual conversation at all, but maybe you do, and every other poster saying stuff like "white knighting" and also bringing up the gender of what's going on.

And people became apparently "appalled" when I said this kind of feels like gamergate. "It's about ethics in giving props on instagram".

It's a stupid killer argument and a cheap attempt of whiteknighting a talentless hack because some people aren't nice to her or her works.

Ozigizo

It's cute that you just "happen" to keep missing posts in this thread where she was selling other people's art.

I'm sure it's time for you move your goalposts again.

El Sloth

Banned
Yeah, it's pretty art-school amateur behaviour. She found a marketable stick "the internet is mine", found people wanting to give her the PR and now something something profit.

The 1:1 traces and reposts will then be written about in art journals with terms like post-internet and digital native and exploring notions of ownership which will then drive her market price up, some banker bros will buy one of her things for like 100k and ship it of to an art freezer in a Freeport somewhere and the art PR interns at whatever lifestyle magazine wrote "spotlights" about her get upgraded to staff. Also, probably some insider trading mixed in for good measure (gallery paying for art spotlight).

Pretty usual art world day-2-day. It's very corrupt, cynical and delightfully unregulated. The Art these guys stand for is merely a luxury market without regulation plus a vehicle for gentrification.
Within that system whoever is tracing really is the least problematic person.
Well, that's rather all very depressing.

And interesting. Would you happen to know of any longform articles that delves into the "inside baseball" aspect of art and the art world?

Armaros

Now there is evidence she is directly selling other people's work as her own.

What new goalpost/excuse do you have now?

Wait a minute, you're telling me someone who is white has taken something done by a person of colour and passed it off as their own? I'd never have believed it. Has this ever happened before.

Also that gallery response is utter bullshit. Appropriation in artwork doesn't mean you copy something exactly the same and pass off as your ow original. Be right back, going to trace the Mona Lisa and just say it's mine.

Wait

Wat

Kenstar

check out what I've been slaving away at in mspaint guys
vqNaugK.jpg

WHOA WHOA WHOA I NEVER SAID IT WAS 'MINE' WITH MY HAND ON THE BIBLE IN A COURT OF LAW

It's cute that you just "happen" to keep missing posts in this thread where she was selling other people's art.

I'm sure it's time for you move your goalposts again.

But I have addressed her selling other peoples art.

At first I thought she's literally just taking peoples art, and just selling it digitally.

But she's using oil painting on canvas right? Transforming the medium and actually painting it.

And going by her storefront, I'm saying it, some of it pops! You can definitely see the references, and like I had already posted, the stuff on her storefront has accredited to Sailor Moon etc.

I mean, I'd imagine it must be OK to do, otherwise they would of slapped her with lawsuits already, right? Cease and desist?

I can even do this in reverse for you all. Look at this talented pixel artist, and for only 300 bucks it can be yours too!

Making sure you steal from the right people.

AKA: people no one cares about.

That's the line.
People freaked out about LHOOQ but now it's considered an important piece of art.

Doesn't matter if all you do is draw a dick in Adam's hand on The Creation of Adam. You've transformed the work and it's now new and now yours.

Madness

If that is a true story, I would be salty af.

Kind of tragic too.

I literally linked the comic panel referenced here that Roy stole from and made millions off earlier.

400px-Roy_Lichtenstein_Whamm_Original_and_Lichtenstein_Derivative.gif

_65981357_lichtenstein_whaam!!_1963(3).jpg

The 2nd is Roy's copy that became famous and had tones of sales and prints.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
People freaked out about LHOOQ but now it's considered an important piece of art.
I think there's a difference between purposefully defacing a famous work of art and taking stuff from people that aren't (as) famous and hoping no one notices.

Even from the collage, I would have assumed that everything that wasn't recognizable (Bart, Hello Kitty, Gundam) was something that she drew herself.

Lichtenstein is ok because he reproduced images of people nobody cared about.

its more then that. He took the context away from the art.
recreated it in a different medium, and gave it more context.

Its not any different that soup cans.

He should have at least bought that guy a drink though. At least warhols art drove sales of those cans pretty hard. no one was going around trying to buy the comic that guy drew.

Ozigizo

But I have addressed her selling other peoples art.

At first I thought she's literally just taking peoples art, and just selling it digitally.

But she's using oil painting on canvas right? Transforming the medium and actually painting it.

And going by her storefront, I'm saying it, some of it pops! You can definitely see the references, and like I had already posted, the stuff on her storefront has accredited to Sailor Moon etc.

I mean, I'd imagine it must be OK to do, otherwise they would of slapped her with lawsuits already, right? Cease and desist?

No, she's not. In the screenshot provided, it was a copy-paste of the artwork with brighter contrast.

Do you know how much lawsuits cost? Your average artist doesn't have the money to fight her theft. And if you assume she comes from money (which is most likely the case, as features cost money) than there's a high chance she has a team of lawyers ready to tie up the courts and cost thousands.

chekhonte

its more then that. He took the context away from the art.
recreated it in a different medium, and gave it more context.

Its not any different that soup cans.

He should have at least bought that guy a drink though. At least warhols art drove sales of those cans pretty hard. no one was going around trying to buy the comic that guy drew.

I was sarcastically referencing somebody else's post. Or as this thread would say I stole somebody else's post with out reference.

Armaros

I was sarcastically referencing somebody else's post. Or as this thread would say I stole somebody else's post with out reference.

Yes because all the context is the same. Especially since the person in question has stated that everything on the internet is fair game for her to copy.

Now nice of you do not directly address me tho.

Stellar arguments

Doukou

I think this somewhat exonerates her, unless you're also mad at Warhol for ripping off Campbell's. But what even is this? Tracing a bunch of random works and throwing them all together? I don't know much about art, but this just strikes me as shit. It offers no commentary, it's just "hey, here's Bart Simpson and Gundam and the Wikipedia logo. ART!"

I think the problem is that Bart,Gundam and Wiki are pop stuff. Mixing it with obscure paintings makes it more dishonest, like how am I suppose to know what the girl using white space as hair in the top left is from.

Well, that's rather all very depressing.

And interesting. Would you happen to know of any longform articles that delves into the "inside baseball" aspect of art and the art world?

Yeah, pretty dire. Hito Steyerl, a German artist, writes quite a lot about art + corruption. Here's a long article about art as a currency: http://www.e-flux.com/journal/76/69...art-contemporary-art-and-derivative-fascisms/

A little bit off-topic. But still kind of a plea to not hate the player, hate the game :)

No, she's not. In the screenshot provided, it was a copy-paste of the artwork with brighter contrast.

Do you know how much lawsuits cost? Your average artist doesn't have the money to fight her theft. And if you assume she comes from money (which is most likely the case, as features cost money) than there's a high chance she has a team of lawyers ready to tie up the courts and cost thousands.

Everything she does on her gallery seems to be oil paintings at this point. I thought on that message chain that i saw the picture of the messaged said "i want to paint this"

If it's not an oil painting she done herself. And she just printed it onto a canvas. Hells yeah that's a problem. because that's grafting. That's not re-rendering it using your skill as an artist.

chekhonte

Yes because all the context is the same. Especially since the person in the OP has stated that everything on the internet is fair game for her to copy.

Now nice of you do not directly address me tho.

Stellar arguments

Everything posted on the internet is fair game to appropriate. That goes for anything displayed in public or reproduced to begin with like art you see in a museum, art reproduced in a poster you saw or art reproduced in a manga or comic and everything you've ever seen reproduced by a computer or photograph. This is how it should be. Nobody should own the idea of a specific image.

Ozigizo

Everything she does on her gallery seems to be oil paintings at this point. I thought on that message chain that i saw the picture of the messaged said "i want to paint this"

If it's not an oil painting she done herself. And she just printed it onto a canvas. Hells yeah that's a problem. because that's grafting. That's not re-rendering it using your skill as an artist.

Jesus Christ.

At this point, I see little to no point in continuing this discussion, as you have again moved the goalposts. Have fun, I guess.

I think there's a difference between purposefully defacing a famous work of art and taking stuff from people that aren't (as) famous and hoping no one notices.

Even from the collage, I would have assumed that everything that wasn't recognizable (Bart, Hello Kitty, Gundam) was something that she drew herself.
I disagree. Art, once released into the wild is fair game for transformation. Regardless of how popular it is or who made it.

I disagree. Art, once released into the wild is fair game for transformation. Regardless of how popular it is or who made it.

But when you copy Bart Simpson, it's clear to the viewer what is happening. No one would think that you are trying to pass off Bart Simpson as your original idea. That doesn't apply when what you're copying is so obscure that no one else would recognize it.

Ozigizo

You understand there's a difference between printing something out, to actually painting it yourself, right?

You seem to have, again, forgotten the screenshot of her selling a copy-paste of another artists work. Can you prove that she painted it? That it wasn't just a print?

Axass

Warhol could do it because he was basically the first one doing it and wanted to give a message through his work: in the age of reproducibility the old notion of art is dead, art is now a consumable product. These guys are just in for a quick buck.

Did you look at that link?

http://samrolfes.tumblr.com/post/90487103391/look-at-this-shit-hayes-ripping-off-hillock

L7NceND.jpg

She actually did take someones art from Instagram and then sold it without even notifying the artist

By the way, that's Escaping Criticism by Pere Borell del Caso, a famous trompe l'oeil painting (1874):

220px-Escaping_criticism-by_pere_borrel_del_caso.png

But when you copy Bart Simpson, it's clear the viewer what is happening. No one would think that you are trying to pass off Bart Simpson as your original idea. That doesn't apply when what you're copying is so obscure that no one else would recognize it.
I don't think it's the transformer's responsibility to be concerned about the popularity or lack-there-of of the art they transform.

Morally and ideally in today's world they would include a statement of recognition for the original art they transformed, but I don't believe that they would be doing anything wrong by transforming it in the first place.

But when you copy Bart Simpson, it's clear the viewer what is happening. No one would think that you are trying to pass off Bart Simpson as your original idea. That doesn't apply when what you're copying is so obscure that no one else would recognize it.

That's true, but when your entire body of work as an artist, has been to copy other peoples art and transform it into oil painting.

Like if that's what your known for. I think it'd be a fair bet the buyer is going to view anything the artist has done as "done before". In some medium or another.

As that's her operating procedure in everything she's done it seems. And for £5k a painting I'd assume you'd want to know about the artist before you buy. It seems pretty apparent.

You seem to have, again, forgotten the screenshot of her selling a copy-paste of another artists work. Can you prove that she painted it? That it wasn't just a print?

No I can't prove it wasn't just a print. Which is why I said, if it was just a print out of someone else's work, that'd be clearly wrong. I don't have a problem saying that, because it would be.

But going by all the oil painting she seems to be known for doing (all of her storefront is oil painting on canvas) and going by the her message saying "can i paint this" I just assumed it was a painting...

Why, can you prove it was a straight print? Because if you can, sure that's hella wrong!

I would be in total agreement, if this person is just reselling peoples art directly, copy pasting it, and printing it onto a canvas digitally. That'd be some shameful shit.

She's transforming digital art into oil paintings though by the looks, which is different in my mind anyway.

Hell no. Not without giving credit. You use something by someone else, you give credit.

Transformation is great. I've done it myself. But when I do I give credit to the originals. Attribution is what separates a tribute from plagiarism.

ultracal31

You don't get to bring friends.

I think the logic will be "well she said she painted it, do you know how hard it is to copy oil painting?"

Then move on to the next goal post

Top Bottom