• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Gamer: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries hands-on & screens

As someone who'd never played mechwarrior but loves mechs, when I tried MWO, my main complaint (besides pay to win stuff) was the UI. I think the whole fun of first person mech stuff is having as much of the UI stuff in the actual physical cockpit as possible. I wanna feel like I'm IN the mech

So looking at those screens it seems they still have a lot of floating game HUD stuff. Hope that gets tidied up or at least has an option to make it in cockpit only

StereoVsn

As someone who'd never played mechwarrior but loves mechs, when I tried MWO, my main complaint (besides pay to win stuff) was the UI. I think the whole fun of first person mech stuff is having as much of the UI stuff in the actual physical cockpit as possible. I wanna feel like I'm IN the mech

So looking at those screens it seems they still have a lot of floating game HUD stuff. Hope that gets tidied up or at least has an option to make it in cockpit only
Plus the benefit of the HUD being in the cockpit would show up even more in VR. I am somewhat concerned about the lack of a central storyline though so I guess we will know once this gets at least into beta.

Lt-47

As much as I would love to have functional screen I wouldn't expect much in that regard. The MWO mech cockpit (that both game seems to share along with most mech assets ) were design to look cool not for usability. Most of them would probably be pretty terrible to use.

And I can't imagine such a small studio redoing all 60 of those cockpit unless they really had to.

Laiza

I really hope you can leg people in this game and they really go all out with the physics for the game when it comes to the environment, etc.

That was something I hated about Mechwarrior Online, it legit felt like a step back compared to the older single player games because you couldn't even do dmg like you could in those games.
The article does mention they're going to be pretty gung-ho when it comes to environmental destructibility (including being able to waltz through buildings and the like).

Sounds like a major improvement over MWO if true.

joecanada

I really hope they pull this off.. Mechwarrior 2 was one of the first games I played endlessly on PC in the 90s.

I hope this game gets VR Support too.

Me too played MechWarrior and death track endlessly.... Sounds almost too sim or rpg though ... Every bullet counts ? I mean I like maths like front mission but let's not go overboard otherwise I hope they have a quick play option

Laiza

Me too played MechWarrior and death track endlessly.... Sounds almost too sim or rpg though ... Every bullet counts ? I mean I like maths like front mission but let's not go overboard otherwise I hope they have a quick play option
That's just the way Battletech works.

You only have so much tonnage and you can only devote so much of that tonnage to ammunition. If you don't like dealing with the eventuality of running out of ammo, you (thankfully) have the option of relying on backup energy weapons instead - or even just eschewing ballistics and missiles entirely if you're so inclined.

In addition, ammunition costs money, so every shot quite literally counts. You have to weigh that against considerations like how many energy hard points you have available, how much space you can devote to heat sinks vs ammo, how much you value the particular properties of the weapons you're eyeing (AC/20s, for example, will have a very different appeal vs SRM6s or large lasers), and so on and so forth. It's just how the game rolls. Expect to spend a decent amount of time in the mech lab weighing these considerations.

It's not going to be MWO-level, however. Don't expect to freely swap out engines or switch to endosteel structure or whatnot like you can in there. Not that you'd understand any of what I just said if you haven't played MWO, but eh, it's still worth noting. They explicitly state in the article they're limiting the customization a bit compared to MWO to ensure folks regularly churn through equipment and buy into the free market.

Either way, it shouldn't be too much of an issue. You'll eventually get a feel for how much you can get away with and whether or not you need to put more tonnage into ammo or if you'd really rather just energy boat things as much as possible. You shouldn't ever run into a situation where you're completely out of ammo and you have nothing you can swap to in the mean time.

I wish they'd stop using Mercenaries as the subtitle... It was great for Mechwarrior 2, was a nice callback for 4, but now it's just unoriginal.

joecanada

That's just the way Battletech works.

You only have so much tonnage and you can only devote so much of that tonnage to ammunition. If you don't like dealing with the eventuality of running out of ammo, you (thankfully) have the option of relying on backup energy weapons instead - or even just eschewing ballistics and missiles entirely if you're so inclined.

In addition, ammunition costs money, so every shot quite literally counts. You have to weigh that against considerations like how many energy hard points you have available, how much space you can devote to heat sinks vs ammo, how much you value the particular properties of the weapons you're eyeing (AC/20s, for example, will have a very different appeal vs SRM6s or large lasers), and so on and so forth. It's just how the game rolls. Expect to spend a decent amount of time in the mech lab weighing these considerations.

It's not going to be MWO-level, however. Don't expect to freely swap out engines or switch to endosteel structure or whatnot like you can in there. Not that you'd understand any of what I just said if you haven't played MWO, but eh, it's still worth noting. They explicitly state in the article they're limiting the customization a bit compared to MWO to ensure folks regularly churn through equipment and buy into the free market.

Either way, it shouldn't be too much of an issue. You'll eventually get a feel for how much you can get away with and whether or not you need to put more tonnage into ammo or if you'd really rather just energy boat things as much as possible. You shouldn't ever run into a situation where you're completely out of ammo and you have nothing you can swap to in the mean time.

Yeah I've played battletech but even back in the paper days my friend wrote a program to calculate tonnage . What I mean is youre playing a computer game with giant robots so I expect the game to calculate the maths for you in most cases, I find it odd when users have to create massive spreadsheets for these games you know? Like you pilot a giant robot but it doesn't calculate odds or math for you. Meh I'll enjoy it either way...

Laiza

Yeah I've played battletech but even back in the paper days my friend wrote a program to calculate tonnage . What I mean is youre playing a computer game with giant robots so I expect the game to calculate the maths for you in most cases, I find it odd when users have to create massive spreadsheets for these games you know? Like you pilot a giant robot but it doesn't calculate odds or math for you. Meh I'll enjoy it either way...
Oh, don't worry about that. The game does indeed calculate everything for you. What you need to look out for are just tonnage, heat management (really just number of heatsinks vs the heat generated by your weapons), ammo, and firepower. Getting a decent build down is just something you'll likely figure out with experience, and the game is going to be heavy on stock builds anyway.
I wish they'd stop using Mercenaries as the subtitle... It was great for Mechwarrior 2, was a nice callback for 4, but now it's just unoriginal.
The mercenary subtitle is used to denote a specific style of play. It's too useful to be dropped in this case.

bchan555

Group fire engaged
Heat level critical
Shutdown sequence initiated
Shutdown sequence overridden
Internal ammo explosion detected

Worth it.

Scrub. Group fire all lasers while standing in a pool of water. Instant reactor shutdown and instant reactor reboot. Repeat.

joecanada

Oh, don't worry about that. The game does indeed calculate everything for you. What you need to look out for are just tonnage, heat management (really just number of heatsinks vs the heat generated by your weapons), ammo, and firepower. Getting a decent build down is just something you'll likely figure out with experience, and the game is going to be heavy on stock builds anyway.

The mercenary subtitle is used to denote a specific style of play. It's too useful to be dropped in this case.

Ah yeah that's good makes it all an asset really trying new builds will be fun like how do I fit this Gauss rifle on here ?

Vasili2K38

I think the gameplay foundation from MWO is pretty solid, and if they nail the mains apects of the SP campaign, it will be a great game. As a fan of Battletech, with a lot of memories playing with my brothers and friends the tabletop game, I can't believe we have this game and the Battletech one from Harebrained schemes in development.

Khoryos

I could be off-base here, it's been a while, but... Doesn't setting this before the Clan invasion heavily limit the amount of customisation available? No Clans means No Omnis.

I could be off-base here, it's been a while, but... Doesn't setting this before the Clan invasion heavily limit the amount of customisation available? No Clans means No Omnis.

It will include the clans... but they won't be in the early game as it'll move forward with the timeline.
Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries was the same.

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
KWl6pqT.jpg

Please be good please be good please be good

Nete

So was it IGP or PGI who we blame for it all.. can't remember anymore.. but the grudge is real!

Both :p, to each its own. IGP started a shitshow and everything was beter once they were gone, but that doesn't cover PGI incompetence and lies before and after IGP departure.

Laiza

Pls have tanks and infantry and VTOL's!!!! Plsplsplsplsplsplsplspls!
I mean, it's right there in the article:
Enemy mechs won’t be the only thing melting under your alpha-strikes either. MechWarrior 5's battles will feature combined arms of infantry, artillery, and both land and air vehicles. During my demo, flyers swarmed above me, whittling away my armour while I focused down the more dangerous mechs. Meanwhile stationary turrets tracked me as I trudged through a copse of trees, their shots quickly obliterating my cover with each salvo. When you consider that your own lance of mechs will accompany you into battle, I'm excited to see how MechWarrior 5’s missions will turn into frenetic firefights as both sides whittle away the other.

Mupod

Except the part that it's being made by PGI. Fuck those incompetent liars.

I wasn't going to go quite that far but yeah. Are those saying they're hyped for this aware of what a dumpster fire MWO was (I have no idea if it still is)?

Part of me hopes that ditching cryengine and starting over will result in a quality game. But it's really, really hard to be optimistic no matter how badly I want to.

AYF 001

I stopped playing MWO years ago after my friends got tired of the delays for adding new multiplayer components. Hopefully dropping their publisher and changing engines will allow them to stick more closely to their schedule.

llien

MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Will Have Four Player Co-Op & Full Mod Support

Piranha Games announced tonight at Mech_Con that the upcoming and highly anticipated MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries will feature four-player co-op and full modding and Steam Workshop support, and during the keynote speech at the event revealed all-new gameplay footage showcasing a variety of 'Mechs in combat on a selection of biomes to be featured in the final game, set to launch in late 2018.

MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries features intense PvE 'Mech combat in an immersive, career-based Mercenary campaign driven by player choice. Featuring an advancing timeline starting in the year 3015, players will adopt the role of a new MechWarrior mercenary thrust into leadership of a mercenary squad as the Third Succession War continues to fracture the Inner Sphere; the vast region of colonized space surrounding Earth. Victory, prestige, and profit will not only require skill on the battlefield, but in the maintenance and enhancement of your BattleMechs.

Piranha Games announced tonight at Mech_Con that the upcoming and highly anticipated MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries will feature four-player co-op and full modding and Steam Workshop support, and during the keynote speech at the event revealed all-new gameplay footage showcasing a variety of 'Mechs in combat on a selection of biomes to be featured in the final game, set to launch in late 2018.

MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries features intense PvE 'Mech combat in an immersive, career-based Mercenary campaign driven by player choice. Featuring an advancing timeline starting in the year 3015, players will adopt the role of a new MechWarrior mercenary thrust into leadership of a mercenary squad as the Third Succession War continues to fracture the Inner Sphere; the vast region of colonized space surrounding Earth. Victory, prestige, and profit will not only require skill on the battlefield, but in the maintenance and enhancement of your BattleMechs.

FKGKaWH.png

0IX2Ts5.png

6KCRFY8.png

FUNdlJQ.png

Source

NOTE: "late 2018" is an euphemism for December the 14th 2018.

Top Bottom