• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Superhot VR is the showcase game that can turn skeptics into believers

wondermega

People need to stop being so easily offended when people challenge something they don't like. I'd rather have someone else's (likely uninformed) different opinion on something voiced in a thread like this, rather than a bunch of me-too's all repeating the same line "it's so great everyone should just buy this thing." That's just uninteresting conversation.. and to be frank, it's sad but a little controversy and hot air are what will ultimately give VR topics any visibility on this forum these days. Without it, this thread would honestly have dried up several days and pages ago.
I'm not gonna sit here and preach about how people should talk, but if a lot of people are still uninterested in VR or just interested in talking shit about it - maybe this is a really good opportunity to think about why that is, and what really needs to happen to change those attitudes.

People need to stop being so easily offended when people challenge something they don't like. I'd rather have someone else's (likely uninformed) different opinion on something voiced in a thread like this, rather than a bunch of me-too's all repeating the same line "it's so great everyone should just buy this thing." That's just uninteresting conversation.. and to be frank, it's sad but a little controversy and hot air are what will ultimately give VR topics any visibility on this forum these days. Without it, this thread would honestly have dried up several days and pages ago.
I'm not gonna sit here and preach about how people should talk, but if a lot of people are still uninterested in VR or just interested in talking shit about it - maybe this is a really good opportunity to think about why that is, and what really needs to happen to change those attitudes.

no no, he's a little VR hater in every single thread

MultiCore

o_O

If that's what you got out of it, I don't know what to tell you, except play the game, the reread his posts.

fvng

Sorry I would rather hear an informed contradictary opinion than an uninformed opposing opinion. Not sure why you are assigning value to uninformed opinions

magnumpy

Sorry I would rather hear an informed contradictary opinion than an uninformed opposing opinion. Not sure why you are assigning value to uninformed opinions

I would rather have them both: both uninformed and the informed opinions

seeing as that's inherently a judgement call. who decides what is an informed opinion and what isn't? I'd rather be presented with both and be allowed to make up my own mind.

Shifty

seeing as that's inherently a judgement call. who decides what is an informed opinion and what isn't? I'd rather be presented with both and be allowed to make up my own mind.

Knowing what you're talking about is pretty quantifiable if you think about it.

fvng

I would rather have them both: both uninformed and the informed opinions

Would you read/listen to a movie review from someone who didn't watch the movie? That's uninformed. Sorry there is no value in that

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
That was his point and a better library comment is very debatable.

I wouldn't say its debatable at all. Its not a stretch to say for every big PSVR title, there are at least 2 equally big titles on HTC Vive and Oculus Rift.

magnumpy

Would you read/listen to a movie review from someone who didn't watch the movie? That's uninformed. Sorry there is no value in that

you are entitled to your opinion, and I am entitled to mine. even an opinion that you deem to be valueless has value. maybe not to you, but to people other than you. the world is a very large place, with 7.5+ billion people. makes your lone opinion seem rather irrelevant if it's you vs. the world. I'll be on the worlds side, but you're free to join the other 7.5+ billion of us at any time :)

MultiCore

you are entitled to your opinion, and I am entitled to mine. even an opinion that you deem to be valueless has value. maybe not to you, but to people other than you. the world is a very large place, with 7.5+ billion people. makes your lone opinion seem rather irrelevant if it's you vs. the world. I'll be on the worlds side, but you're free to join the other 7.5+ billion of us at any time :)
There's a line between being open minded, and being a thoughtless fool. It's ok to analyze things. Otherwise, all media is a 10/10, shut down GAF, Reset, Metacritic and Rotten Tomatoes.

I dispute your claim that every opinion has inherent value. The interest of a third party doesn't give it value either.

PSVR has problems. There's even a post in this thread that points out the most accurate criticism to be had of this game on PSVR. Bangs made none of those points, he went off the rails about how it's a trash adaptation of a pre-existing title, and that "using your arms somehow is more immersive, lmfao".

You don't have to love VR, or even PSVR. But if you start making inaccurate posts about the failings of any other type of game, you better expect to be called out on it. You'll get people posting video, running tests, showing screenshots, providing whatever form of evidence necessary to call you out on your BS.

PSVR is no different. Like I said, the platform isn't perfect. But Superhot is a great title on the platform, and on Rift and Vive. It's not the same game as the flat version, and it's not a cheap cash in.

Bangs' posts about this game don't add value to the thread.
You're not being accepting or wise or open minded by trying to defend him.

If his posts have value, any pretense of moderation, cultured, civil discussion with well thought out arguments backed up by facts are gone. We just as well get Horse_ebooks on here and call it a day.

fvng

Someone's opinion on something that they haven't experienced holds zero value. Maybe you should start a book review publication that only judges books by the cover let me know how that goes k?

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Whats the comfort level like on this game?

(People who never experience sickness and discomfort in VR need not answer, you are lucky)

Shifty

the world is a very large place, with 7.5+ billion people. makes your lone opinion seem rather irrelevant if it's you vs. the world. I'll be on the worlds side, but you're free to join the other 7.5+ billion of us at any time :)

Oof, argumentum ad populum. Talk about posting in bad faith.

You know these 7.5bn+ people personally then yeah? See them down the pub on the weekend?

Or perhaps your opinion too is small and irrelevant in comparison to the number of people on this planet, just like everybody else's. Get over yourself.

BANGS

Banned
Knowing what you're talking about is pretty quantifiable if you think about it.

Well take my example. I have plenty of experience with the base game, I have plenty of experience with VR, but I don't know what I'm talking about because I didn't play this specific VR version of this specific game...

Then the allegations of "He's never played VR!" and "He's just hating to troll!" come up. If you label me, you negate me, and that's exactly what they're doing to dissenting opinions...

So it's a double edged sword, take that as you will, I've said my peace...

Keihart

After playing Robo Recall is pretty hard for me to get exited with similar games (wave VR shooters) because the amount of freedom Robo Recall gives to you mechanically is basically unmatched yet. Still can't find a VR game that let's me spin revolvers on the air yet tho. My point is that, if super hot VR seemed amazing to you , you really need to try Robor Recall.

And yes, VR is amazing beyond just a gimmick, we are in the Atari like era of it tho, so arcade like experimental games is where we are at. The next 2 gens might be pretty crazy.

Paracelsus

I tried VR today for the first time, oculus with the classic rollercoaster.

I would be sold if it wasn't for the abominable resolution, jaggies and muddy textures really ruin the whole experience.

Keihart

IQ is not amazing on VR but also depends a lot on the game how good the res avaible looks on the HMD.
For example there are some recommendations that not every games follow, like the native res, using msaa and using textures that look good with it and avoiding white text in black backgrounds. Also super sampling, this makes a huge difference if your rig can handle it.

Getting a good focus on the rift is tricky too, since is designed so you have to move the HMD up or down to do it.

I find the IQ of games like Robo Recall, Lone Echo, Wilson's Heart or Super Hot VR to be pretty good but i was never really bothered by most games IQ on regular screens so that might be why.

fvng

I tried VR today for the first time, oculus with the classic rollercoaster.

I would be sold if it wasn't for the abominable resolution, jaggies and muddy textures really ruin the whole experience.

Try better games and get back to us. Those are gimmicky VR demos

magnumpy

There's a line between being open minded, and being a thoughtless fool. It's ok to analyze things. Otherwise, all media is a 10/10, shut down GAF, Reset, Metacritic and Rotten Tomatoes.

I dispute your claim that every opinion has inherent value. The interest of a third party doesn't give it value either.

PSVR has problems. There's even a post in this thread that points out the most accurate criticism to be had of this game on PSVR. Bangs made none of those points, he went off the rails about how it's a trash adaptation of a pre-existing title, and that "using your arms somehow is more immersive, lmfao".

You don't have to love VR, or even PSVR. But if you start making inaccurate posts about the failings of any other type of game, you better expect to be called out on it. You'll get people posting video, running tests, showing screenshots, providing whatever form of evidence necessary to call you out on your BS.

PSVR is no different. Like I said, the platform isn't perfect. But Superhot is a great title on the platform, and on Rift and Vive. It's not the same game as the flat version, and it's not a cheap cash in.

Bangs' posts about this game don't add value to the thread.
You're not being accepting or wise or open minded by trying to defend him.

If his posts have value, any pretense of moderation, cultured, civil discussion with well thought out arguments backed up by facts are gone. We just as well get Horse_ebooks on here and call it a day.

damn you didn't have to write all that. just for the record I do love VR, in all its various platforms and devices. it's a cool idea, I've owned many of these devices, from google cardboard to PSVR and oculus rift and HTC vive and on and on...

Top Bottom