• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Double Toasted team AKA the best film reviewers out there

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I really don't get what Korey is going on and on about in the Justice League video.
Keeps talking about how DC compared to Marvel is missing characters in favor of other characters nobody cares for, Martin proves him wrong mentioning how Antman was dropped(and Wasp as well)
Korey just blows it off and keeps going.

Cyborg is the only character that doesn't belong, who else is he even talking about?

I think since Korey has more of a animation knowledge base for the characters he expects it to look more like the Justice League animated series. Martin, on the other hand, is deep into the comics so he's more aware of how fluid these team lineups are.

Korey does have a good point that DC is sorta working backwards. I wonder how it'll play out in the film, cause the only ones we really know are Wonder Woman and Batman. It's a tall order, for sure.

LionPride

Banned
I really don't get what Korey is going on and on about in the Justice League video.
Keeps talking about how DC compared to Marvel is missing characters in favor of other characters nobody cares for, Martin proves him wrong mentioning how Antman was dropped(and Wasp as well)

Cyborg is the only character that doesn't belong, who else is he even talking about?
Korey says a lotta shit sometimes

Most of it doesn't make sense

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

There have only been movies introducing the most popular characters. Marvel had what, 5 full solo movies before the Avengers came out? DC has had two and a combo/ensemble trainwreck. If Flash and Aquaman had movies before the Justice League I doubt he'd be complaining that we don't know any of the group.

Maybe not though, because he was weirdly hung up on the idea that Green Lantern and Martian Manhunter are bigger than Flash and Aquaman.

Spinluck

I kind of get what Korey is saying, but then I kind of don't.

He just might not be as invested in JL as he is in the Marvel stuff. Which is understandable, the trailer was ok, but they kind of rushed this thing together. I don't mind it, but it sucks that WW was the only good film leading up to it.

I get what he's saying, I think.

It sounds like he feels this entire thing is incomplete, from characters he feels are missing to a lack of build up for other characters. Sounds like he just wants more time to learn about the individual heroes similar to the Marvel Films, before committing to an entire team.

I think he did relent to Martin's point about Ant-Man, but he did mention that Ant-Man still got his solo film before he was brought in with the group, which is still related to his main point.

kewlmyc

I'm new and have watched a few videos..... What is the deal with the white guy? He just weirdly sits slightly behind the main host and laughs at his jokes and barely says anything.
Girtz? He's talkative, but he's usually the comedy man. For his opinions he usually just waits his turn to give his piece for the movie, unlike the main host Korey C who has a habit of interrupting others. Also Girtz is the newest edition so that might be why he isn't super talkative as the Koreys yet.

When they're showing clips of Green Lantern, I wonder if they realize Ryan Reynold's nerd friend in that movie is the director of Thor Ragnarok.

I think since Korey has more of a animation knowledge base for the characters he expects it to look more like the Justice League animated series. Martin, on the other hand, is deep into the comics so he's more aware of how fluid these team lineups are.

Korey does have a good point that DC is sorta working backwards. I wonder how it'll play out in the film, cause the only ones we really know are Wonder Woman and Batman. It's a tall order, for sure.

There have only been movies introducing the most popular characters. Marvel had what, 5 full solo movies before the Avengers came out? DC has had two and a combo/ensemble trainwreck. If Flash and Aquaman had movies before the Justice League I doubt he'd be complaining that we don't know any of the group.

Maybe not though, because he was weirdly hung up on the idea that Green Lantern and Martian Manhunter are bigger than Flash and Aquaman.

I get the whole backwards and rushed angle,
I just didn't get his character selection point, I see wanting/needing more but he keeps comparing them back of the others which Cyborg is the only one I get.
You certainly can't drop Flash and Aquaman is a far more solid pick after the GL movie failure.

Korey is the DC fan who likes the Teen Titans cartoon and is confused as shit why the comic isn't like the cartoon. Funny thing is the JL movie looks like the first story arc to New 52 JL and I remember Martin really liked that story, which is probably why he's also liking the new trailer.

LionPride

Banned
We all know the Thor review will start with him complaining about the aestheic and then praising the everloving fuck outta that movie

Fury451

Banned
I get what he's saying, I think.

It sounds like he feels this entire thing is incomplete, from characters he feels are missing to a lack of build up for other characters. Sounds like he just wants more time to learn about the individual heroes similar to the Marvel Films, before committing to an entire team.

I think he did relent to Martin's point about Ant-Man, but he did mention that Ant-Man still got his solo film before he was brought in with the group, which is still related to his main point.

Yeah, his point was pretty clear but a bit mangled and delivery. I think he was saying that it doesn't feel like the team has enough members to be the epic Justice League: Doom it obviously we all know superman is in it, but if he wasn't you would have 2/3 of the Trinity, Flash, Aqua man who most people think is a joke because they haven't read a comic book in 30 years or seen anything cool with aqua man since the justice friends cartoon, and what amounts to a third string quarterback. From the minor leagues.

It does feel weird not having Green Lantern, and while most of the traditional heavy hitters are present, it seems like the team is not quite fleshed out for some reason. Probably won't reflect that in the movie, but from the trailers I've had similar thoughts.

Mediking

I'm so glad these guys have such a big following on Gaf. Their opinions on movies are the only ones I value, to be honest

I've clicked on random videos of theirs and one guy says a joke and forced laughter comes from the other guy. It happens everytime... lol I'm just sitting here thinking... that wasn't funny at all.

vio

When he started talking about how superhero movie formula is cracked... such a facepalm moment. Clearly a MCU fan, i can't take him serious at all as a critic. Have enough of that here on GAF and i don't need it in video form.

When he started talking about how superhero movie formula is cracked... such a facepalm moment. Clearly a MCU fan, i can't take him serious at all as a critic. Have enough of that here on GAF and i don't need it in video form.

He gets checks from Marvel/Disney.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

Martin? He's just a comic fan. I think he's right though. Marvel has made 16 movies and none of them were disasters on par with Suicide Squad. I mean, I could name 6 off the top of my head that I have no desire to ever watch again but they've all been well received. The big criticism against Marvel is that the movies are safe and formulaic. They know what works and then tweak it just enough to be different when people are tired of the status quo. DC will get there, but they're having growing pains after launching out of Man of Steel..I fucking love comics but I sure as hell didn't want a Man of Steel universe

A critic having a preference doesn't mean you shouldn't take them seriously. A critic is supposed to have a preference for things. It's part of their job. The only critic you shouldn't take seriously are ones who act contrarian just to be contrarian like Armond White.

Harmen

With that he probably means Marvel knows how to stay away from trainwrecks and have a solid control over the quality of their ouput. It is the reason why Marvel can make a film about an obscure hero and make a success out of it, people like them, the brand is strong. That doesn't means you have to love or even like their films yourself, but with the amount of superhero blockbusters they put out, I don't see how a critic can't make the observation that Marvel knows what they are doing to a larger extent than a lot of other studios out there.

With that he probably means Marvel knows how to stay away from trainwrecks and have a solid control over the quality of their ouput. It is the reason why Marvel can make a film about an obscure hero and make a success out of it, people like them, the brand is strong. That doesn't means you have to love or even like their films yourself, but with the amount of superhero blockbusters they put out, I don't see how a critic can't make the observation that Marvel knows what they are doing to a larger extent than a lot of other studios out there.

Pretty much.

LewieP

Yeah, I don't like all the Marvel movies, but none of them have been a total trainwreck. Even Thor: The Dark World was just a waste of potential, and boring and forgettable.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch

The issue with Korey is, once he digs his teeth into an issue. A single fault or something positive, he doesn't let go.

I've been listening to some of the old ones and he won't really listen, even when he is flat out wrong. Blair Witch was another, similar to Dunkirk. He sort of just hand waves it and moves on.

Unlike the other three too, he's highly defensive too about his position as seen with DC where every single review is, "You all gonna hate me, you all gonna say but Korey" many times throughout. It actually gets pretty annoying, since he dominates the conversation so much.

Sai

I know Korey mentioned Sammy telling him he had to talk about it on a recent show. Maybe the Sunday Service?... Don't recall him or Martin showing all that much interest. Maybe if it was a slower week, Korey would've dedicated a segment for it. Wouldn't be the first time they didn't discuss a celebrity death at length due to time 'n other priorities.

Would be funny if after saying all that, they bring it up on tonight's show.

vio

I've been going through some of their older reviews. Korey's opinions on Alien series? How he defends Ridley Scott on Prometheus and Alien Covenant? That was really poor. He seems weakest of the bunch as a reviewer, yet he is most loud.

I do like their kind of humour, and non review stuff. Will keep watching.

wanders

Are they doing a drunk review of the Emoji Movie 🍻🍻🍻😂😂😂💯💯💯

Top Bottom