• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Blade Runner 2049' trailer #4

Guy.brush

New poster and TV spots:
dh9qvgauqaazana-jpg-large.jpg

3d-glasses.jpg

Needs this to shield the eyes.

JB1981

Scott is a known shittalker. He says shit to get a rise out of other people. In this case, Ford. I mean, the movie could come out, and there could be completely no evidence that he is or isn't a replicant, and people would still come back to this line and said "Scott said it, so it is fact!" and I think that's stupid.

It really doesn't read like he's talking shit there though. He developed the movie's premise with Hampton Fancher and he's clearly stating that the premise rests on Deckard being a replicant.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
the biggest advertising the atari logo has received in years..

edit: @bobby, when do we get to hear soundtrack samples??

Shanaynay

I've never seen the original Blade Runner but i'm thinking of watching it the evening before 2049 comes out and then go see that one a day later.

yuraya

Cannot wait for this movie.

2.5 hrs of Villeneuve and Blade Runner. Its unreal that we are actually getting something like this.

-Plasma Reus-

If that's the score, then that sounds perfectly Blade Runner-ish to me.

Chances are that's the new Hans Zimmer stuff.
Didn't Denis say he wanted for it to sound more like the original score and that's why he brought him in?

Simo

Definitely catch it on the big screen if you can

I'm salty that Imax is showing the Final Cut on only 6 screens across the US. I mean really? There's a few Imax screens here in Michigan as well as the big Henry Ford Imax.

:(

Wired posted a pretty in-depth article of the film:

https://www.wired.com/2017/09/behind-the-scenes-blade-runner-2049-sequel/

Some stuff from the article:

He doesn’t want his 2049 action sequences to be too noisy or audacious or, as he puts it, “too Marvel.” Instead, he says, “I want to bring them down as close as possible to the original Blade Runner: more simple, more brutal.” Which would make sense if the first film had been a hit and moviegoers had flocked to its chilly (and, yes, brutal) vision of a not-too-far-off future ravaged by ecological disaster and corporate corruption. But they didn’t, and even after the subsequent decades of mainstream discovery, critical reassessment, and massive cultural influence, Blade Runner 2049 remains the rarest of Hollywood propositions: an R-rated, $150 million sequel to a movie that not a lot of people liked (or even fully understood) when it first came out.

Then, a hitch. In 2014, Scott’s other directing commitment made it clear he wouldn’t be able to helm 2049. Instead he became an executive producer, and Johnson and Kosove approached Villeneuve. At that point, the director was still not quite a household name: He’d spent the past decade making a series of unyielding dramas that were freeze-grab gorgeous but gut-wallopingly tough, like 2010’s sweeping war drama Incendies (yikes), 2013’s abducted-kid downer Prisoners (oof), and 2015’s stark, almost suffocatingly tense drug-war thriller Sicario (hoo, boy). These were films in which violence acted as a pathogen, spreading through one person’s body or an entire country’s history with devastating, long-term effects—especially for the characters on the receiving end. And with last year’s Best Picture–nominated hit Arrival—about a linguist (Amy Adams) who communicates with a pair of octopus-like aliens—Villeneuve proved himself to be one of the few filmmakers who can make sci-fi that feels at once fantastical and utterly real. Kosove, who also produced Prisoners, believed that duality was necessary for 2049. “Blade Runner is always put in the sci-fi genre, but we really think it’s more of a noir movie,” he says. “And if you look at Prisoners and Sicario, you know there isn’t a filmmaker today doing better noir than Denis.”

In a nearby editing room, Villeneuve has just shown me a brief scene from 2049 in which a bloodied-up K pilots his spinner over a series of low, tightly packed houses, before heading toward a looming LAPD headquarters. Once inside, he’s placed in a white room and subjected to a post-trauma stress test in which an unseen authority figure grills him. He then pays a visit to downtown LA, which is being pelted with snow. Even on a small screen, the sequence is absorbing, elegant, inscrutable. It’s Blade Runner.

Pretty good read. I'm convinced they nailed the movie and that the marketing for this movie is trash.

I don't really think the marketing is trash. How do you market something like this to appeal to the masses?

You don't.

While I like the fact that they aren't revealing anything about the movie. It's the fact that they are marketing it like an action movie when it's most likely not one.

Davide

As someone who's still never seen the original I'm completely hyped for this even if based just on the visuals.

Sony Pictures India Twitter account shared a new video that's worth a look. Its a little NSFW for nudity because they show the giant Joi hologram in full. lol
https://twitter.com/SonyPicsIndia/status/910131116056616963

Hmm I wonder if that's also part of the actual score used in the video?

Happy to see Villeneuve didn't skimp on atmospheric vista/cityscape pans. I'm not a super fan of his, but the man knows how to construct a scene and set some mood. This is the first footage that's made me hopeful. Unfortunately I'm fully expecting an underperforming slow thriller that the masses find too ponderous to really embrace which will make studios even more hesitant to hand out these kinds of budgets to these kinds of movies. But we'll see.

On another note, Ana de Armas is just.... whew, fam.

Jarmel

Banned
Wired posted a pretty in-depth article of the film:

https://www.wired.com/2017/09/behind-the-scenes-blade-runner-2049-sequel/

Some stuff from the article:

Pretty good read. I'm convinced they nailed the movie and that the marketing for this movie is trash.

Later, I asked Scott what it was about Villeneuve that made him comfortable handing over the keys to his beloved Blade Runner.

“I wasn’t,” he says.

He wasn’t?

“No. But waiting for me to direct it would have only gotten in the way, and Denis was our best option, by far.” He smiles, before adding cryptically, “It takes one to see one.”

Have to admit that I love how blunt Scott is.

Cipherr

Im so fucking in for this. I don't care at all.

Everyone online is always so negative. Especially on anything that's an old franchise.

-Plasma Reus-

Happy to see Villeneuve didn't skimp on atmospheric vista/cityscape pans. I'm not a super fan of his, but the man knows how to construct a scene and set some mood. This is the first footage that's made me hopeful. Unfortunately I'm fully expecting an underperforming slow thriller that the masses find too ponderous to really embrace which will make studios even more hesitant to hand out these kinds of budgets to these kinds of movies. But we'll see.

On another note, Ana de Armas is just.... whew, fam.
Man, if this flops, I don't care. We got the sequel we wanted.

duckroll

Have to admit that I love how blunt Scott is.

I love watching his actual interviews rather than reading them if possible because he totally sounds and acts like a drunk old man in almost all of them these days. Especially when he's talking about some old franchise he helped create like Alien, and he has that Get Off My Lawn look in his eyes while saying the most ridiculous things. Love it.

Mr. Tibbs

Sony Pictures India Twitter account shared a new video that's worth a look. Its a little NSFW for nudity because they show the giant Joi hologram in full. lol
https://twitter.com/SonyPicsIndia/status/910131116056616963

Hmm I wonder if that's also part of the actual score used in the video?

Thanks for sharing these! Even though the early trailers didn't necessarily inspire confidence, since I'm the world's biggest Enemy fan, you couldn't pay me not to watch this film. The new video suggests the sequel will be something special.

Ashhong

Phew that Sony trailer is amazing. Don’t give a fuck if it’s not dirty like the first one. It’s been 30 years. Shit changes! Denis really is the perfect man for this imo, at least from what I can tell

overcast

Yeah that tweet by Sony is by far the best thing I've seen since the first trailer. For some reason I thought this movie was a November release.

Man, that last clip posted is by a huge margin the best one so far.

I can't lie, while watching it, I was all the time smiling :)

PS: Regarding the soundtrack, so far there have been so many "hands" involved in this that I'll refrain to make any statement until I watch the damn movie.

Simo

LOL, Ridley sounds indeed like an old grumpy drunk fella.

Read the Wired article posted above. Lol He seems non too pleased he had to give up directing to Denis.

Just saw the featurette I posted, seems like it shows the new opening text similar to the original film had?

Simo

The Art and Soul of Blade Runner 2049 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075NJ9RVJ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Did preorders open for this yet? If so, anywhere else I can buy it?

Nothing so far unless you're in the UK which Amazon UK and Forbidden Planet have it available for pre-order.

Amazon weirdly had 2 listings for it but deleted one of them.

Edit: book depository has it. Looks like the book originates from the UK so I guess that explains it.
https://www.bookdepository.com/The-...-Tany-Lapointe-Denis-Villeneuve/9781785657580

Top Bottom