• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do Nazis get free speech apologetics while BLM gets finger wags?

norm9

That's because some black people are killing some other black people in Chicago. Not sure how that makes sense, but white people use that a lot in any sort of discussion. Even if its about the weather.

because moderates are cowards who have to justify their lack of action against actual nazis by calling for a reasoned debate instead, so they can try and use their logical powers to smite the nazis without any risk because they're too scared to take to the streets to actually protest against the fascists

Privilege.jpg

Kelsdesu

Funny how for months cars ramming into people in Europe by terrorists was seen as the next big fear by the West, but as soon as a Nazi does it in Virginia and it becomes a Facebook meme in America.

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

I wonder how long that video stayed up on Youtube and Facebook, but when a nazi gets punched in the mouth.....

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

Well-meaning question, I guess, but...come on. The ability to ask this question means that you already know the answer.

Honestly, it would be interesting if someone actually had a well thought out, non-racist reasoning for why they support free speech for those advocating racial genocide but not for those advocating for fair treatment by the state.

If such a thing were possible

danm999

Same reason there's a huge list of things you can't do whilst black and not get shot. Same reason after a natural disaster white people "find" supplies and black people "loot" supplies.

Huge amounts of white people are scared and/or prejudiced against black people so they'll wag the finger when they protest to not be shot by cops but champion lofty ideals when some wannabe Goebbels rolls around.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Are there not cases where process is outcome, depending on one's philosophical priorities? I philosophically value freedom and lack of paternalism (were I a lawyer, I would basically be an ACLU type), so I support both the message and the methods of much of BLM fighting for an end to systemic forms of oppression as well as the freedom of reprehensible assholes to assemble and disseminate their ideas, with the confidence there are means to curb the actual appeal and spread of their message, and their ability to gather and consolidate power, that do not necessitate the curtailing of First Amendment rights as they are currently constituted.

I don't really have a desire to adjudicate whether I think you personally belong to the class of people who is utilizing motivated reasoning or if your beliefs are sincere, and I find it hard to believe that you actually want me to. Of course an invincible defence against a claim of motivated reasoning is to claim "No it's not, I really believe this".

No one thinks they're making an insincere argument, no one thinks they personally are using motivated reasoning, and yet we all know motivated reasoning occurs, and that to some extent the more knowledgeable and educated people are the worse they suffer from it.

I don't really get the point of this thread to be honest.
The people pulling the free speech argument for those rallies are racists, so of course they don't like the idea of black people themselves protesting.

No not because white people, it's because racists.

To be honest a more pertinent thread would be: why is it so common on GAF to make these statements about "white people"?

If someone said "because black people" they'd be annihilated from orbit (and rightly so).
So what's with this double standard?

Like how the fuck is this a thing someone can say?
Ill swap you mean spirited comments any day of the week for a society where the basic humanity of my community has NOT been a widely debated question for the last 400 years.

When you let speech go on, it spreads. Obviously BLM is the bad guy here. Hate speech doesn't really affect me ya know. Hell I may wanna do it too as a joke.

What gets me is people cape for the bigots and swear they so liberal they pray to Ed bagley Jr every night. But be silent when margelized people are hurt. Like who you think you are fooling?

Not a damn soul, but it's funny how they keep going with the act anyways. Might as well wear an arm band in middle of an intersection at this point, or a hood.

What gets me is people cape for the bigots and swear they so liberal they pray to Ed bagley Jr every night. But be silent when margelized people are hurt. Like who you think you are fooling?

whenever someone describes themselves as a centrist or moderate, i already know which way they lean, if not just straight up being a right winger in disguise

zeemumu

Because BLM make them feel guilty and it has nothing to do with free speech. Plus turning a blind eye to Nazis probably takes less effort than working to not be racist.

Why do self proclaimed lovers and protectors of the US Constitution make villains of citizens who only want their 14th Amendment rights upheld?

Why do the self proclaimed patriots of the United States of America support emblems, memorials, and commemorations of an anti-American rebellion that sought to destroy the United States?

This is one of the things that frustrates me the most and I can't stand much of the criticism directed at the BLM movement. A lot of conservatives talk about "All Lives Matter" in the context of the detrimental affects of identity politics and divisiveness caused by BLM.

This is a game that many conservatives play to frame the conversation in a manner to favor their political agenda. Identity politics like the "Southern Strategy" are divisive and have negative effects on societal health because they activate base prejudices and usher people into insulated political corners. They are intentionally manipulative and surreptitious; cloaking the racist and bigoted sentiments they play to under the guise of procedure, states rights, religion, and other lofty ideals. Modern identity politics came out of George Wallace, Lee Atwater, Barry Goldwater, and the conservative movement post desegregation.

BLM != the "Southern Strategy". It's a conflation that fails to acknowledge that BLM is a reaction in response the societal injustices against a specific minority group. It is not an activist movement seeking a privileged status, only equal consideration in society. BLM is similar to identity politics only in the sense that you are required to talked about an identity whenever minority rights are concerned. Further equating BLM to identity politics is dishonest or ignorant.

As far as various reactions, I think the difference in some liberals' reactions is a matter of disagreement over tactics. I do not think it is much about personal inconvenience than it is about not losing the moral high ground. I think that there is a large number of liberals that see themselves as MLK or Guandi at their highest aspiration. However, there is a new generation of liberals that are more militant and would rather get down in the trenches to fight fire with fire. I am in my mid 30s and see myself closer to the former cast of liberal, but also feel that no movement should die with a commitment to one approach. Every situation is contextual and requires flexibility. I am not saying my preferred approach is correct, only that I see an increasing resistance to debate over what is the appropriate tactic. I think that maybe that is where some of the more intelligent criticism may come from.

Also, there are plenty of racists and ignorant people that muddy the conversation.

Why do self proclaimed lovers and protectors of the US Constitution make villains of citizens who only want their 14th Amendment rights upheld?

Why do the self proclaimed patriots of the United States of America support emblems, memorials, and commemorations of an anti-American rebellion that sought to destroy the United States?

Now that, is the truly the million dollar question. It already has an answer, you just won't hear that answer from those so called "moderates" and "liberals" who use the free speech defense or outright stan for FUCKING NAZIS!!!

Salamando

Seems simple to me. People only really give a shit about their own little bubble. Nazis protesting states away affects it none. Blocking traffic, well, now they're late for work and pissed off.

HeatBoost

Because stupid racist people can't even realize when their dumb asses are racist

I honestly think for every one Nazi ass psycho who freely admits "I believe in the superiority of the white race and that all others should be subservient" there are about 100 people who think that shit subconsciously, but never put it into words because 1) They'd get rebuked with both outrage (both genuine and performative) and logic and 2) They're just not capable of that level of self-examination

How many people have you seen go "Now I'm not racist, but Obama is a Muslim terrorist from Afghanistan?" Or "I'm not racist, but the idea of interracial relationships makes my skin crawl and it should be illegal"? Or "I'm not racist, but all rap music sounds exactly the same, which is to say it sounds like the war drums of rapist criminals"?

these clowns can't see the forest for the trees that they wanna lynch folks from and it's yet another magnificent illustration of how fucking stupid racism is

Not

Banned
Look at that poor Nazi, he's basically me, if I didn't know how to keep my racism bottled up. :'( Poor young man.

He doesn't know that you're not supposed to kill all of the Jews yet. You're only supposed to be suspicious of everything they do and say.

Meanwhile, that black will never be me. Because my empathy for another human being begins and ends with their melanin count. If he got shot he was a criminal. Yeah, 11 year-olds can be criminals, dumbass. It's just the most likely thing. Listen, stupid, use your brain. Black on black crime. There's a reason they're poor. I met a black person once and I could tell he was dumb.

Wait, don't punch me, free speech free speech free speech free sp--!

(The Nazi gets up and goes home. The police ignore him forever)

(The next day, a black woman says the wrong thing on TV and is fired)

Look at that poor Nazi, he's basically me, if I didn't know how to keep my racism bottled up. :'( Poor young man.

He doesn't know that you're not supposed to kill all of the Jews yet. You're only supposed to be suspicious of everything they do and say.

Meanwhile, that black will never be me. Because my empathy for another human being begins and ends with their melanin count. If he got shot he was a criminal. Yeah, 11 year-olds can be criminals, dumbass. It's just the most likely thing. Listen, stupid, use your brain. Black on black crime. There's a reason they're poor. I met a black person once and I could tell he was dumb.

Wait, don't punch me, free speech free speech free speech free sp--!

(The Nazi gets up and goes home. The police ignore him forever)

(The next day, a black woman says the wrong thing on TV and is fired)

And that's America in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

Top Bottom