• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arkansas Teacher Allegedly Had Sex with 4 Students

cordy

Banned
These stories are scary. Just, we gotta warn our kids to look out for teachers now? Terrifying to think that teachers are our here doing that to children. It just makes me want to put my child in a homeschooling program but at the same time I'm worried about them potentially not experiencing public schooling. Fucking horrible.

How hard is it to keep your mouth shout and just keep fucking a hot teacher?

Woooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

This is even in the wording of the headlines for all of these articles.

"Teacher allegedly slept with 4 teen students, 2 in same night" should read "Serial rapist grooms four boys, rapes two of them in same night."

I can see that you have good intentions with such outlook at things, but I doubt this is the good way to deal with this. The casual definitions of rape aren't aligned with legal definitions of rape. There's a reason term "statutory rape" exists. And this does not mean you can't have this headline more negative; such stories used to run around here under "Teacher seduces students" which used to have very negative connotations. Some people would reject your hypothetical article as a work of a madman who does not know what word "rape" refers to (outside of legal documents), some would think that now the word refers to situations they don't find as negative at all. That's not getting into "serial" and "boys", which are not the topic here, but also have casual definitions not fitting here at all.

What you're advocating is speaking somewhat legal language to general audience. This is not the language they speak. Results may vary.

Dynasty

How hard is it to keep your mouth shout and just keep fucking a hot teacher?

WpvQMqt.gif

prag16

Banned
At a recent event I pointed her out to my wife, I assumed she saw it from the start as well as its painfully obvious and I meant it as a laugh. She went full Momma bear and walked up to the girl and asked how old she was and told her to think about her age. The penny clearly never dropped for my wife before this moment. This subject is always going to be super polarizing, to me it was a good chuckle from afar and my wife was pissed.

Dude think about this. If the genders were reversed how would you feel (16 year old daughter and early 20s dude creeping on her)...

cordy

Banned
Poor kids. And also we need to say...

jessie-lorene-goline-husband-093404.jpg

Poor guy man. Sad. He looked happy as far as we know.

I've also lived in Jonesboro and I've passed by Marked Tree a good amount of times on trips to Memphis, very small town. Horrible to know that people like this can be so damn close.

jph139

These boys are objectively still developing mentally and physically. They are "kids" in my book

Sure, but that's true of 20-somethings, too. Studies nowadays suggest that your brain continues to develop well into "adulthood."

Like, you have to draw a line somewhere, just to have a sensible society, but you have to remember that the placement of that line is somewhat arbitrary.

The issue here for me, more than the age gap, is the authority gap. Jailtime for having sex with a 17 year old is sort of whatever for me (it'd be legal where I live in most contexts), but for having sex with a student? Completely different story.

darscot

Dude think about this. If the genders were reversed how would you feel (16 year old daughter and early 20s dude creeping on her)...

Yeah I'm not into that whole physical genders can be reversed and it's a fair comparison. Men and women are different.

Just as an example the Canadian womens olympic hockey team would often play tune up games against 16-18 year old boys teams. By your logic it would be fair for the men to fucking hospitalize 16 year old girls teams.

Sure, but that's true of 20-somethings, too. Studies nowadays suggest that your brain continues to develop well into "adulthood."

Like, you have to draw a line somewhere, just to have a sensible society, but you have to remember that the placement of that line is somewhat arbitrary.

The issue here for me, more than the age gap, is the authority gap. Jailtime for having sex with a 17 year old is sort of whatever for me (it'd be legal where I live in most contexts), but for having sex with a student? Completely different story.

I can agree with that

Why does this keep happening?

Because it is still glorified in our culture as perfectly acceptable fantasy. Look at media like CW's Riverdale where the relationship is depicted as taboo yet doesn't stop it from happening. The demographic that is targeted at breeds another generation with that mind set and when life imitates art people shrug their shoulders and wonder why?

The teacher student thing is clearly offside and I'm not going to comment on that.

I will say my 16 year old son has had a girl in her early 20's very into him for a couple years now. It's not a school situation so the age gap is not as noticeable. I noticed right away how much she preened around him right from the start. It has slowly grown and she is more and more obvious about it. My son is not really there yet so he is kinda oblivious and this just makes her work that much harder. It has never bothered me in any way, it has also never progressed, that being said there is no doubt in my mind she would jump at the chance. At a recent event I pointed her out to my wife, I assumed she saw it from the start as well as its painfully obvious and I meant it as a laugh. She went full Momma bear and walked up to the girl and asked how old she was and told her to think about her age. The penny clearly never dropped for my wife before this moment. This subject is always going to be super polarizing, to me it was a good chuckle from afar and my wife was pissed.

This is in need of a thread...

Girl has problems. 16 to early 20s is a huge developmental gap.

Plus the whole "very into him for a couple years now" thing.
So she was into him when he was 14?... What?...

Aske

Very well said. The issue is less about age, and more about the abuse of a position of authority. A teacher who is placed in that position and exploits it for sex is far more problematic than a creepy adult who seduces a teen, because the teacher is in loco parentis. Age is still a huge factor, because the younger someone is, the more vulnerable to exploitation they are; but you're dead right that the betrayal of responsibility should be what we focus on.

Why do we need to specify that the teacher was female and the student was male? Does it matter? Would there be a different, more visceral reaction if it was the other way around?

Because that's how you properly report the news. It if it were the other way around, you should also report that.

rashbeep

Banned

truth

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
Why do we need to specify that the teacher was female and the student was male? Does it matter? Would there be a different, more visceral reaction if it was the other way around?
Being a male teacher in a highschool setting you have no idea how many eyes watch male teachers when most of the stories lately have been in fact female. At my old place of work which was a highschool the female teachers would be close to their students male and female, rub their shoulders, give hugs, even give out their cell numbers if their students make it to class etc. To make a point for ONE day i hugged my kids when they left class and wished them a good afternoon. I shit you not the very next day admin pulled me in the room and asked why i was hugging my kids. I told them i wouldnt do it again but did it to prove a point, why am i being watched like a hawk meanwhile the female teachers can do anything of the sort and not get in shit for it either. Nuff said i transferred to a different school which is wayyy more inclusive for both male and female teachers and treat both with respect.

Its weird how society perceives these sort of situation and I have to admit I've evolved on the matter myself. Some adult males think about how they would have loved to be in those kids shoes back when they were the same age. There's many reasons why that's a fucked up way to think aside from all the double-standards pitfalls that go along with that but what they completely miss is the sinister aspect, that's as clear as day which is, this is a predator that's preying on children from a position of trust, access and authority. She's using them for her own filthy goals and that's not fucking something that should be dismissed or softened with "they got something out of it so...".

That's probably because a lot of males when they were in high school had sexual thoughts about some of the teachers - after all some of the faculty stuff might be just a few years from university.
When you are 17 or 18 then someone who is 26 for example doesn't look like too much of an age gap.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Being a male teacher in a highschool setting you have no idea how many eyes watch male teachers when most of the stories lately have been in fact female. At my old place of work which was a highschool the female teachers would be close to their students male and female, rub their shoulders, give hugs, even give out their cell numbers if their students make it to class etc. To make a point for ONE day i hugged my kids when they left class and wished them a good afternoon. I shit you not the very next day admin pulled me in the room and asked why i was hugging my kids. I told them i wouldnt do it again but did it to prove a point, why am i being watched like a hawk meanwhile the female teachers can do anything of the sort and not get in shit for it either. Nuff said i transferred to a different school which is wayyy more inclusive for both male and female teachers and treat both with respect.

It's not just school. If I'm alone at a grocery store or in public passing kids I get looks. My wife sees it happen if we're separated briefly at a store. People immediately are suspicious of men by themselves.

kirblar

The teacher student thing is clearly offside and I'm not going to comment on that.

I will say my 16 year old son has had a girl in her early 20's very into him for a couple years now. It's not a school situation so the age gap is not as noticeable. I noticed right away how much she preened around him right from the start. It has slowly grown and she is more and more obvious about it. My son is not really there yet so he is kinda oblivious and this just makes her work that much harder. It has never bothered me in any way, it has also never progressed, that being said there is no doubt in my mind she would jump at the chance. At a recent event I pointed her out to my wife, I assumed she saw it from the start as well as its painfully obvious and I meant it as a laugh. She went full Momma bear and walked up to the girl and asked how old she was and told her to think about her age. The penny clearly never dropped for my wife before this moment. This subject is always going to be super polarizing, to me it was a good chuckle from afar and my wife was pissed.
It's funny to you because you don't view her as threatening. (I think your wife made the right call w/ the direct foot down here.)

Apparently this lady is married, has a fairly attractive husband, and seems really happy, with a FB filled with tons of family pics. So fucking weird.

darscot

This is in need of a thread...

Plus the whole "very into him for a couple years now" thing.
So she was into him when he was 14?... What?...

A couple years might be a bit of an exaggeration but they have known each other for a few years. She may have been into him more as a cute kid at the start. It is almost like it changed with his height. As soon as she started looking up at him it was obvious she was smitten by him. Now they are at the point that she can't stand and talk to him without flipping her hair or reaching out and touching him. She watches him from afar all the time. To be clear my son emotionally is not showing any interest in women yet, he goes to school, he works and he trains. That is his life. Him and this girl intersect as they are often at the same competitions and training camps. I am not in anyway concerned she is going to be able to force herself on him. If in the future when that switch flips and his physical desire kicks into gear, it would not surprise me at all if something happened between them. I also would not care, he is strong willed and independent if it happens it will be 100% mutual. I do not think there is anything wrong with her she just got hit by something in him.

These sorts of incidents have become a cause célèbre for MRAs, who use them as proof that feminists are engaged in some kind of wicked double standard or cover-up of female sexual assault.

In reality, as this thread has kindly demonstrated, the only people covering for female abusers are men who post "Niiiice" and "Where were these teachers when I was a kid?" and "Just keep your mouth shut!"

devilhawk

While I have not studied this, it does seem common that when the abuser is a female teacher they are younger and almost always married even younger. The married younger connection could be pretty interesting.

While I have not studied this, it does seem common that when the abuser is a female teacher they are younger and almost always married even younger. The married younger connection could be pretty interesting.

Hmm, I have never even entertained the idea that some of these women who have sex with their students could be pedophiles. Not in this case since 3 out of 4 were 18, but there are other "teacher fucks student" threads where the female teacher has sex with a 13-15 year old.

sphinx

the piano man
rt
banned for telling the truth smh

I can see the appeal of the teacher-student fantasy but comments like that promote illegal activity and mods probably have problem with that.

also, one 16 year old boy may enjoy fucking the teacher, another 16 year old boy may just feel raped.

and there really isn't anything funny if the later happens.

having common sense in discussion forums helps you avoid bannings.

I can see the appeal of the teacher-student fantasy but comments like that promote illegal activity and mods probably have problem with that.

also, one 16 year old boy may enjoy fucking the teacher, another 16 year old boy may just feel raped.

and there really isn't anything funny if the later happens.

having common sense in discussion forums helps you avoid bannings.

I would have felt raped probably. I was definitely a late bloomer when it came to sex. I remember turning down cute girls who asked to kiss me in HS. It wasn't until college that I discovered love, sexuality and all of that. But in HS I definitely had friends who would have probably loved to have sex with their 20 something teacher.

devilhawk

Hmm, I have never even entertained the idea that some of these women who have sex with their students could be pedophiles. Not in this case since 3 out of 4 were 18, but there are other "teacher fucks student" threads where the female teacher has sex with a 13-15 year old.
I meant that the teacher is younger and has usually married despite still being young.

besada

Banned
I meant that the teacher is younger and has usually married despite still being young.

Some of that is selection bias because the stories that show up here and are big in the media are the ones about attractive young women. If you go do a search for "slept with student" you'll generally see a different story, including much older women and many more men.

But we mostly get threads posted about attractive women teachers, because to many folks they seem baffling, and the punishment bias draws a lot of attention.

Why is it that there seems to be a trend of more women doing this? Is it just that they're over-reported?
Probably over reporting. NJ did an evaluation of their student teacher situations at it ran about 70%/30% Male/Female teachers. They did find that in the cases they evaluated women were 10% less likely to go to prison and those that did served 50% less time than men. I'm not sure anyone seriously disputes the disparity in sentencing in these cases, but the frequency of reporting on attractive women seems to be all of of proportion.
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2013/04/a_look_at_teacher-student_sex.html

devilhawk

Some of that is selection bias because the stories that show up here and are big in the media are the ones about attractive young women. If you go do a search for "slept with student" you'll generally see a different story, including much older women and many more men.

But we mostly get threads posted about attractive women teachers, because to many folks they seem baffling, and the punishment bias draws a lot of attention.
That's fair and likely very accurate.

That would still leave the fact that these young female teachers are all too often married at a higher clip than what would seem typical. It could be that young female teachers as a whole are married more often than same age women in other jobs though.

Why is it that there seems to be a trend of more women doing this? Is it just that they're over-reported?

It's more salacious tabloid fodder when it's an attractive woman doing it. Trashy news sites promote these kinds of stories because they want exactly the kind of reaction they're getting in this thread.

Hesh

It's more salacious tabloid fodder when it's an attractive woman doing it. Trashy news sites promote these kinds of stories because they want exactly the kind of reaction they're getting in this thread.

That horrid sidebar on the story has me wondering what sort of people read People. I always thought it was people that wanted to read about celebrities, but apparently the big ticket item is seriously fucked-up crimes of non-celebrities.

Top Bottom