• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

MCD

im talking about like, practice range doing drills, and like other programs for practicing aiming.

I feel like comp is the best test. I don't get the thrill from custom matches with my friend or practice range.

As Tracer the best joy I get is from chasing and successfully killing Mercy. Of course I fail most of the time thanks to her zig zag like flying.

I feel like comp is the best test. I don't get the thrill from custom matches with my friend or practice range.

As Tracer the best joy I get is from chasing and successfully killing Mercy. Of course I fail most of the time thanks to her zig zag like flying.

thats the thing, practicing isn't a thrill. even in sports. no one likes to practice.

but practice makes perfect.

trust me, i get what you mean. But try some tracer practicing about (aim techniques and drills) an hour a day in range or 30 min in range and 30 min in another aiming app) and I bet you become more consistent.

What's the deal with d.va players existing solely to eat shit? Is that the gameplay they seek? Do people actually enjoy playing the character?

LiK

Yeah, what is that exactly? I'm late so I adjust and then I'm early. I lead too much and I correct, but now I'm behind. Why is hard to dial in some days?

Not a huge deal, I don't have to play Zen when DVa and Winston are easier, no-aim options, but it has always befuddled me. I just want to put my balls on people's faces, why is that so hard some days?

Yea, it's weird. Sometimes I wonder if I'm tired or the aiming is just a bit off on it's own. Although I feel I always get it adjusted better if I get into practice range and just warm up my hands first. But today, I was tired and just playing whatever. Felt good to not play too seriously even tho we ended up against some truly tryhard stacks. Those dudes wanted to win real bad.

Speaking of aiming, my second SCUF right paddle button isn't as responsive and it's affecting my jumps. I wonder if I should bother asking for them to repair it. Don't feel like missing out during the Destiny 2 Beta and potentially when Doomfist drops. But I think I'm done with SCUF now, their paddle buttons wear out too quickly. Once I completely wear it down, I'm gonna just buy an adapter for the Elite controller. That thing is super solid and I haven't used it much cuz I play PS4 a lot more. Shame cuz I like everything else about the SCUF.

I'd rather see a torb hammering a turret than the usual mercy potg.

There are some cool mercy potg every now and then but the majority of them are so damn boring.

Nazo

Every play of the game for the past week has been nothing but Mercy. So much skill needed.

They really should change it so it doesn't go through walls and it works by line of sight. Y'know like every other Support ult.

Except for Sym's but she's a special case.

Speaking of aiming, my second SCUF right paddle button isn't as responsive and it's affecting my jumps. I wonder if I should bother asking for them to repair it. Don't feel like missing out during the Destiny 2 Beta and potentially when Doomfist drops. But I think I'm done with SCUF now, their paddle buttons wear out too quickly. Once I completely wear it down, I'm gonna just buy an adapter for the Elite controller. That thing is super solid and I haven't used it much cuz I play PS4 a lot more. Shame cuz I like everything else about the SCUF.

Wait, is there a PS4 adaptor for the Elite? Or do you mean PC? I would like to use an Elite on a PS4.

Owzers

POTG, a Mercy hiding behind a wall no where near the fight ressing 4 people, fucking shit character and ability.
You're speaking ill of my third best character. What if mercys save all their potgs and it's a collection of the best times they hid?

Yea, it's weird. Sometimes I wonder if I'm tired or the aiming is just a bit off on it's own. Although I feel I always get it adjusted better if I get into practice range and just warm up my hands first. But today, I was tired and just playing whatever. Felt good to not play too seriously even tho we ended up against some truly tryhard stacks. Those dudes wanted to win real bad.

And, now that I think about it, if I have a small hitbox group of enemies (Symm seems to be the worst offender) in my first few matches, my aim is off for the day. I always warm up, but I think that may skew my perception of my aiming, and I over-compensate.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'd rather see a torb hammering a turret than the usual mercy potg.

There are some cool mercy potg every now and then but the majority of them are so damn boring.

Torb POTGs are the best POTGs because it's a variety

is it

a) torb putting in work murdering everyones shins
b) torb hammering people to death
c) torb at spawn
d) torb ragdolling

torb is literally the top tier of POTG

https://youtu.be/Xw9xY1uoPpo

This has been my Overwatch comp experience for the last 2 weeks. Almost every game a thrower or a leaver on my team.

Wish bliz would do something about this shit.

Jesus. Yeah, Blizz should do something, anything about that.

On the other hand, you do know your team has a better chance winning a 5v6 than a 4v6, right? I know it sucks, but I would be in there fighting with my team. But then I'm a try-hard, so what I say is to be taken with a grain of salt.

On the other hand, you do know your team has a better chance winning a 5v6 than a 4v6, right? I know it sucks, but I would be in there fighting with my team. But then I'm a try-hard, so what I say is to be taken with a grain of salt.

I get you, I usually don't notice the throwers until you see them chilling in spawn.

I only started recording this game because the game before I had another deranked diamond player on my team who was also throwing as Torb on Nepal. And as soon as that Torb killed himself our Rein switched to Widow lol

When I saw this guy, another diamond player at like 2300 SR, pick Torb, I decided to see if he was bullshiting or not.

I get you, I usually don't notice the throwers until you see them chilling in spawn.

I only started recording this game because the game before I had another deranked diamond player on my team who was also throwing as Torb on Nepal. And as soon as that Torb killed himself our Rein switched to Widow lol

When I saw this guy, another diamond player at like 2300 SR, pick Torb, I decided to see if he was bullshiting or not.

Gotcha, perfectly understandable. It makes me sad this kind of shit still happens and is basically never addressed.

Ramirez

I climbed over 100 SR tonight thanks to people picking stupid characters and a quitter in the last match. Seriously, had two matches (R66 and Gibraltar) where my team didn't hit the first CP. But the enemy team decides to run Junkrat/Hanzo/Widow/Sombra instead of collecting their easy win, lol.

Tomorrow the opposite will happen and I'll be back where I started. 😂

Geneijin

Makes you wonder if one of the reasons Torbjorn OTPs get so much SR in this system because there are tonnes of people that throw with him.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Golden Diamond player sees two of our teammates lock in Hanzo and Junkrat and automatically assumes they're throwing, locks in Widow and costs us the match.

Just hopping in and out of diamond with this circus.

It's bullshit that you lose anything if a member of your team leaves.

I've seen the argument that groups would just use a fall guy to take the hit if they're losing, which is why competitive mode really needs solo queues only.

Simple solution...if you're in a group and someone from your group leaves, you take the SR hit.

If you're not, you don't.

I'm still thinking about how to approach the placement matches. Should I just stick as the hero I can handle the best for all of them? When I am concerned about winning, I will always pick Mercy. Half because I still suck at aiming, half because nobody else ever bothers with picking a healer (unless it's Ana) and it is what usually decides if there is a chance of victory.

I have upgraded to a mechanical keyboard and wristrest, and due to switching to arm aiming, an arm sleeve to avoid friction during the summer. The 144hz screen will have to wait, though (sick again, bills :) )

I'm sorry if this isn't the most appropriate thread for the question, but I recently received the PS4 version of Overwatch in a console bundle. While I've heard the game is fantastic, and the gameplay videos of it look phenomenal, I'm slightly hesitant to open it (rather than simply trade it in unopened for a different game) given that it's been out for quite a long time now and I'm worried there would be quite a high skill-gap to catch up on if I were to jump in now.

How accessible is Overwatch to new players? It seems like it has quite an astonishing amount of depth to it just based on some of the online discussion and online videos about the game, but is it too late to jump in or does it get a pretty steady influx of new players?

Blues1990

I'm sorry if this isn't the most appropriate thread for the question, but I recently received the PS4 version of Overwatch in a console bundle. While I've heard the game is fantastic, and the gameplay videos of it look phenomenal, I'm slightly hesitant to open it (rather than simply trade it in unopened for a different game) given that it's been out for quite a long time now and I'm worried there would be quite a high skill-gap to catch up on if I were to jump in now.

How accessible is Overwatch to new players? It seems like it has quite an astonishing amount of depth to it just based on some of the online discussion and online videos about the game, but is it too late to jump in or does it get a pretty steady influx of new players?

Quite honestly, the game is quite accessible. Even if you don't have much experience with playing First-Person Shooters, there are a solid 25 heroes to choose from, and the game has a tutorial that can show you the ropes. Even if you don't want to touch Quick Play, there is a Player VS. A.I. mode that can get your feet wet until you feel more comfortable with the games mechanics.

Honestly, I’d suggest starting with support types before graduating onto more offensive characters, because support heroes can contribute while keeping some distance from the action. This is a good way to familiarize yourself with map layout, and to safely observe how other characters play/interact with each other without having to repeatedly die over and over again.

There is also a healthy community of PS4 users on the OT, so feel free to ask them if you could join with them.

I'm still thinking about how to approach the placement matches. Should I just stick as the hero I can handle the best for all of them? When I am concerned about winning, I will always pick Mercy. Half because I still suck at aiming, half because nobody else ever bothers with picking a healer (unless it's Ana) and it is what usually decides if there is a chance of victory.

Probably the best way of handling this situation is to rate the heroes you play. If you play a lot of Mercy, maybe try and flex pick the Lucio when you see it is fit. If not just only play Mercy through your placements. Focus on surviving and not dying often. The less that you die as Mercy, especially when you have res, the increased chance of your team winning.

MCD

I know we hate Mercy and her bullshit hide 4 man rez but I love having one on my team.

Hypocrite but it's all for that win bro.

HMD

My aim with Tracer is weird.

I can wipe out an entire team with her in some days. I had like 26 kill streak two days ago with her.

Other days I have like...5 eliminations top.

What the shit?

I clocked 60 hours into tracer trying to minimize that inconsistency factor but the only thing that changed is that when I'm having a good game now, I'm having a really fucking good one. The bad games still happen.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Am I missing something, why are there so many Insta-Pick Genjis all of a sudden

I'm doing my placements, 5 out of the 6 on my team Insta-lock Genji

Even though the Enemy team mostly has a Winston to shut him down

This is like over 2 weeks, I play 2-3 placement games like every week, so it wasn't same player

Never switched

I stopped trying to be a OTP with Pharah/Soldier, moved to Support with Zenyatta or Symmetra or Tank with D.Va but good grief do people want to rush into fight at a huge disadvantage

Me being Zen I stay more cautious now and see how crazy some of the attackers get, like GG Soldier, go sprint into the other teams defense bypassing our D.Va and Rein while we're setting up how to break their defense
Thank fuck we had an awesome Tracer who flanked so perfect and destroyed their healers we overtook them real quick

Playing other classes shows you how crazy some players go wreckless and think others should follow to their death

Owzers

I know we hate Mercy and her bullshit hide 4 man rez but I love having one on my team.

Hypocrite but it's all for that win bro.
She's the only healer that can keep me alive when I do reckless fun things as Rein, and then revive me after I do even more reckless things.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Torb POTGs are the best POTGs because it's a variety

is it

a) torb putting in work murdering everyones shins
b) torb hammering people to death
c) torb at spawn
d) torb ragdolling

torb is literally the top tier of POTG

I had one yesterday where I was basically emoting while my turret was doing work. Saved it for posterity.

Fugu

Simple solution...if you're in a group and someone from your group leaves, you take the SR hit.

If you're not, you don't.
This introduces two new potential problems, depending on how you handle the other team.

If you still give the winning team their normal SR, you've created a situation where the sum of the SR changes for the game is significantly greater than 0. This isn't a problem every once in awhile, but because leavers aren't really all that rare this will inevitably cause fairly quick elo creep -- in other words, as the season goes on, SR will become more and more inflated. Yes, you could just deflate SR at the end of every season by placing people lower than they would have been, but it already makes people mad when Blizzard does this and we don't even have an elo creep problem now.

If you don't give the winning team SR, then you introduce the possibility of a team being punished for winning so much that they convinced a player on the other team to leave. Limiting their gains would have the same effect, although obviously the less you limit it the less severe it gets.

I think the current system of handling leavers is not as bad as its reputation seems to suggest it is but it could be better. I wouldn't mind seeing them:
- Reduce the gains and losses for winners and losers of games with uneven teams, maybe by a third or a half (as if you'd lost/won a game that the SR system had predicted you were likely to lose/win anyway).
- Reduce the SR penalty for extremely occasional leavers -- 50 SR is frankly ridiculous for a disconnect when I gain less than 20 for a game and have disconnected maybe five times since the game came out -- but increase it for people who leave multiple times in the same season

GraveRobberX

All of a sudden?

Insta-lock Genji, Hanzo and Widow.

Always and forever.

In Competitive, should've put that in

QP I know the Hanzo and Widow mains that roam that mode

Genji in Diamond around 3200+ SR as I stated was picked first and locked in, no regards for team make up or what other teams make up was

LiK

In Competitive, should've put that in

QP I know the Hanzo and Widow mains that roam that mode

Genji in Diamond around 3200+ SR as I stated was picked first and locked in, no regards for team make up or what other teams make up was

No one cares about Placements cuz it doesn't really affect your SR and Comp is a real mess this season.

GraveRobberX

No one cares about Placements cuz it doesn't really affect your SR and Comp is a real mess this season.

I haven't kept up to date with OW for a little bit, just found it odd that's all

Reading a few pages back on gaming side about Comp and the SR mess up and Mercy hate got me playing again lol

Shahadan

I had one yesterday where I was basically emoting while my turret was doing work. Saved it for posterity.

I think I've seen one POTG in video where the Torb is just looking at widow's ass the whole time and the turret keeps killing everyone

Can't beat that

Edit: beaten

LiK

I haven't kept up to date with OW for a little bit, just found it odd that's all

Reading a few pages back on gaming side about Comp and the SR mess up and Mercy hate got me playing again lol

So far it's been pretty miserable this season especially if you solo q. Looking forward to D2 Beta.

_Legacy_

Yeah comp has been poor this season. I don't see the next one being any better either, unless Blizz make some changes to greater penalise throwers/leavers. Also some sort of balancing to make help ensure people are playing in games that aren't too high above their actual skill level.

Top Bottom