• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How would you react to a Metroid reboot w/ a black Samus

You play as a taciturn character wearing a mechanical Power Suit and arm cannon who jumps and shoots through a cramped maze-like alien environment, searching for suit upgrades that grant new abilities and allow her to access new areas. These power-ups include missiles, different beams, the Space Jump, the Screw Attack, the Speed Booster, and the Morph Ball.

After you beat the final boss, the hero removes her armor and you see she's got dark skin.

"Clearly this can't be Samus"

This will depend on how the game is created. If it's a DmC-type reboot where clearly, it's an alternate universe take on an established character, then yeah, why not. That's why creators make alternate universes when they want to explore other alternatives to characters that won't make sense in an already established mytho. Again, it's why Miles Morales worked. It's why Nick Fury as a Samuel Jackson-expy black character worked.

In fact, having just finished DmC a couple of weeks ago, I didn't really have any issues with Donte. I know he's not Dante Prime. They could've made him an actual Spanish person and I wouldn't have cared.

Phu

Banned
If Samus turns black due to some space radiation voodoo then that literally does zero for diversity or representation because that'd make it canon that she's simply a white person with a weird affliction.

I'm not talking about the change in the color of Samus' leotard, I'm talking about the change to her skin color, so your green pants on Crash Bandicoot analogy doesn't follow.

I fail to see how it doesn't follow. Samus, the character, isn't actually being changed when you enter those codes. Canonically, she looks the same as she always does, the only difference is that her color palette has been altered to reference something.

Similarly, there's a Crash racing game where you can unlock multiple costumes for Crash, one of them being a "Evil Crash" costume based on a parallel universe Crash from Twinsanity who has dark red fur, and despite the costume coming with the red fur and all, Crash himself is still canonically orange.

Likewise, while on the note of Crash, I'd actually argue that due to his sierra (or whatever company) redesign that he's changed more then Samus, yet I fail to see how that would suddenly justify "Crash Kangaroo" in a hypothetical reboot.

Madame M

Banned
If Samus turns black due to some space radiation voodoo then that literally does zero for diversity or representation because that'd make it canon that she's simply a white person with a weird affliction.

A weird affliction that itself has a poor record for representation in the past.

I fail to see how it doesn't follow. Samus, the character, isn't actually being changed when you enter those codes. Canonically, she looks the same as she always does, the only difference is that her color palette has been altered to reference something.

Similarly, there's a Crash racing game where you can unlock multiple costumes for Crash, one of them being a "Evil Crash" costume based on a parallel universe Crash from Twinsanity who has dark red fur, and despite the costume coming with the red fur and all, Crash himself is still canonically orange.

Likewise, while on the note of Crash, I'd actually argue that due to his sierra (or whatever company) redesign that he's changed more then Samus, yet I fail to see how that would suddenly justify "Crash Kangaroo" in a hypothetical reboot.

Yes, and that "something" happens to be skin color.

zenspider

I don't understand what the dictionary definition is here for.

I think it's to express black as any person of color.

I think it'd be needlessly provocative, but hey, if it's done well and with purpose, why not? Shouldn't be Samus though. Like a Miles Morales thing would be better methinks.

Galang

Banned
I would love this a lot and welcome it. I'm always one to dislike changes to "classic" character designs, but I don't consider Samus (in human form) a classic design personally. Either way I would much rather see new IP with minorities as leads, but I also wouldn't mind if they took popular franchises and made the lead characters more diverse. In a case like Zelda where each Link is different they could easily get away with it imo. Thinking back on the whole female debate with that was so sad. Overall all forms of media could use more diversity and it's just nice for me to see certain conventions broken away from more often. Anyone that would complain about Samus being turned black honestly would need to get a life. It's a video game

Hau, Kiawe, and Olivia aren't black though. They're based off Polynesians. Hawaiians actually. Alola is based off Hawaii. Hau and Kiawe are Hawaiian names. Also Polynesians have very dark skin complexions. I'm from Hawaii btw.

That is true. However there are cases from games like Splatoon where people have argued dark skinned characters are anything but black. At times like these, people stretch for evidence to back up their claims.

Leunam

Then you are detached from reality.

You play as a taciturn character wearing a mechanical Power Suit and arm cannon who jumps and shoots through a cramped maze-like alien environment, searching for suit upgrades that grant new abilities and allow her to access new areas. These power-ups include missiles, different beams, the Space Jump, the Screw Attack, the Speed Booster, and the Morph Ball.

After you beat the final boss, the hero removes her armor and you see she's got dark skin.

"Clearly this can't be Samus"

Well put.

Kyle8497

It wouldn't make a difference, not only because skin color wouldn't matter, but Samus' character should remain silent like every game before the Death of Metroid (Other M).

AzureFlame

how about a new character instead and not touching our old beloved characters.

same thing when people asked for female Link, just make new character, no need to change the old ones.

Madame M

Banned
...and what exactly? I mean all you've proven to me with this is that there could be a future Metroid game in which a cheat code allows players to change Samus's canon/default white skin tone to black.

Nintendo making Samus black by default is more likely than "cheat codes" coming back my friend

how about a new character instead and not touching our old beloved characters.

Careful now, you might be called racist for a comment like this.
Nintendo making Samus black by default is more likely than "cheat codes" coming back my friend
Yeah, ok cool. It's also more likely that a future Metroid game will let us play as Anthony or something like Anthony's Daughter, then a "black Samus" ever will be reboot or not. Especially when you consider the sheer toll of rebranding the entire franchise just for a unnecessarily cumbersome change.

Way to upset the folks who don't know that they're racist yet. Just great.

Metroid is already a losing game if I can SEE Samus.

This.

Also, Nintendo just made Black Inklings.
I think they're still figuring this out.

I'd be fine with it, though. I mean, it means I get a new Metroid game.
It means I can be black in Smash Bros too.

...second thought, Nintendo shouldn't reboot anything. Just make new things.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Just make a new character, there are multiple bounty hunters in metroid lore. this way you can have them team up down the line or do a passing of the torch type thing

Either way I don't mind a black Samus or a Samus being kicked to the curb for a black bounty hunter. Just say Samus died or some shit.

I'd prefer a new character, because more is always better. But I'm​ honestly a little concerned Japan would be Japan and try to make her "act" black.

But seriously. Another chozo adoptee with similar abilities or her precursor/successor would be fantastic.

Your beloved character that you don't see for 99% of most Metroid games.
Funny how that measly 1% of the time is popular enough to have it's own action figures, name, amiibo, and spot in Smash, yet is so miniscule that it shouldn't matter to anyone.
i just don't like old characters to be treated as avatars or CC characters.
I agree, but going by the logic presented in the thread; watch your footing. ;P

Way to upset the folks who don't know that they're racist yet. Just great.

This.

Also, Nintendo just made Black Inklings.
I think they're still figuring this out.

I'd be fine with it, though. I mean, it means I get a new Metroid game.
It means I can be black in Smash Bros too.

...second thought, Nintendo shouldn't reboot anything. Just make new things.

Even with black Inklings, we had people trying their damndest to argue that they're not actually black — that they're clearly ganguro or South Asian. Unless a character looks like it came straight out of a minstrel show, some people don't want to call them black.

Madame M

Banned
Zero Suit Samus is a hell of a name, almost as creative as Samus Without A Suit.

Mario has a spot in Smash as a Doctor.

Get this: Mario doesn't even have a degree!

Funny how that measly 1% of the time is popular enough to have it's own action figures, name, amiibo, and spot in Smash, yet is so miniscule that it shouldn't matter to anyone.

I agree, but going by the logic presented in the thread; watch your footing. ;P

Then you wouldn't mind if she's black. Also people remember Samus in armor more than her Zero Suit form.

Madao

i'd rather see a Metroid reboot without Samus at all.

that could make a person of a different color easier to put into the series since it'd be a brand new character.

AdropOFvenom

Neo Member
Nah, that'd be bad to change the race of an established character for decades. It's kinda a similar thing to the Ghost in the Shell casting outrage, when a character has an established race, don't mess with it. It's just going to piss people off.

It's not a racism thing, I'm all for diverse representation in games, but that's a really poor way to do it. If your method of inserting diversity is to create race wars in the process, you're doing things wrong. You can introduce new characters into that universe, you could even do an entirely new Metroid sequel around a non-Samus character if you want, you can create new IPs that feature minority characters. There's lots of good ways to do it. Changing a character's race is not one of them. I thought the Twintelle reveal for ARMS was excellently done, for instance.

Nah, that'd be bad to change the race of an established character for decades. It's kinda a similar thing to the Ghost in the Shell casting outrage, when a character has an established race, don't mess with it. It's just going to piss people off.

It's not a racism thing, I'm all for diverse representation in games, but that's a really poor way to do it. If your method of inserting diversity is to create race wars in the process, you're doing things wrong. You can introduce new characters into that universe, you could even do an entirely new Metroid sequel around a non-Samus character if you want, you can create new IPs that feature minority characters. There's lots of good ways to do it. Changing a character's race is not one of them. I thought the Twintelle reveal for ARMS was excellently done, for instance.

Just to be clear, changing a white character into a black character is not the same as what GitS did. For future reference.

SalvaPot

I would personally not be offended but I'll have to ask myself "Huh, cool, but why?" Think about it for a few seconds, realize it doesn't matter at all and move on with my life.

But that is the thing, Samus is already a defined beloved character and her fanbase was burned with Other M and FF, so they are a bit sensitive, so a change so radical would probably confuse the players rather than make them think.

Of course, Samus is not defined by her blondiness (She was a redhead on the NES, right?), and had green hair in game, but if we start going that way then she doesn't need to be a woman, either, since her defining character trait is that she is a fearless bounty hunter.

And that means there is no point in making her black when she already has a recognizable design.

Hmm, but now that I think about it, it COULD be interesting if its played like with the original metroid. As in her race has no mention and no meaning in the game and its only revealed by the end of the game if you do well enough in a "You played as a black woman, ain't that cool?" kind of way. But in this era a spoiler like that would leak in seconds and make a splash on the internet, so the impact of experiencing that while playing will be gone for sure. So its, again, well, pretty pointless.

And if its done to make a political point, I just don't see Nintendo bothering with that at all. They are 100% allergic to controversy, as most corporations are, actually, but Nintendo takes it to an innocent degree. Why would they get in hot water for a character that already works as is.

My reaction would simply be "Cool, lets get on NeoGAF and see how many people got banned for their opinion on this already".

I for one welcome more diversity and would be more likely to go out of my way to play a game if I knew the developers were trying to be inclusive. But I'm not white, I believe representation matters, and I'm not one of those nerds who tries to dismiss diversity as a social justice warrior push or some bullshit. Fuck your "classic character" excuse. Samus being white, black, or asian doesn't matter in the slightest.

Fight me.

Samus being white has never played into her character. People keep saying over and over that it's been her established character for thirty years or whatever but I can't think of a single time when that came into play or was crucial to the story. So why people insist on hanging on to that is beyond me.

People really aren't insisting on that, you're arguing to people that mostly don't exist. What many have said is that they would like a completely new black character to be the lead. That would be awesome, it would be way better than just making Samus black. There's no rule saying that Samus must be the lead in these games and if everything about her is so interchangeable, why keep her name?

Shit fam, you got me!
Yes over two thousand hours within the series proper, two smash bros appearances, various manga appearances, various action figures, various cameos in other games, and all time people have collectively had to get to know the Samus under the mask, but let's burn all that to the ground, let's arbitrary rebrand Samus as black and spend tons of money trying to erase the previous Samus, all to appease Neogaf, because that's what Nintendo wants to do is take a series that already doesn't sell well and make what little brand awareness it has even more confusing, as opposed to just making a new character to star alongside Samus.
Fun fact: Different people have different skin colors
Except in the case of Zelda where most reoccurring characters are basically clones, or the case of Metroid where Samus has hardly changed over the years.

Hydrus

People will still argue these characters aren't black though. Whether it's because of the hairstyle or something else, there's almost always another excuse as to why these are just "tanned" characters or something other black. Nintendo is getting better, but they along with everyone else is still a way's off.

Who says they have to be black? Why does everyone gaf always assume everything has to be black to be diverse? Pokemon SM are the first games I've ever played that starred characters based on Hawaiians. In fact the whole game was Hawaii and Hawaiian inspired traditions. Zelda BOTW introduced a popular gay character, Bolson. A first for the series. This week Nintendo just introduced Twintelle for ARMS, a black girl that's already popular as hell (Maybe for certain reasons) and probably gonna end up being a huge character for the franchise and gonna end up in a future Smash bros. As I've said before, Nintendo is getting better at diversity. They still have a ways to go, but for a stubborn, conservative, Japanese game company in 2017, they are at least making progress. And the more positive feedback these new characters/ worlds get, the more they will pursue diversity in there games.

Madame M

Banned
Except in the case of Zelda where most reoccurring characters are basically clones, or the case of Metroid where Samus has hardly changed over the years.

Definitely not clones. In the NES Zelda, Link had brown hair, in Link to the Past he was pink haired, then for the most part he was blonde.

Zelda BOTW introduced a popular gay character, Bolson. A first for the series. .

I dunno the carpenters in Ocarina of Time were pretty gay.

Top Bottom