• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOE trademark H1Z1

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
the Z probably stands for zombie.
TI793.gif

Syf

Banned
I'm interested because they claim it's supposed to be a spiritual successor to SWG, my favourite MMO. But I'm not terribly excited to hear it's probably a zombie game.

If they manage to bring over the same awesome sandbox features and crafting of SWG I'll be all over it.

I know you're trying to be funny, but the current zombie games aren't really doing much yet. There's a lot of potential. I'll find one of the many posts I made for examples of what no games are doing when it comes to zombies.

EDIT: Too lazy to find them, i'll just write it up.

Here's what I want from my dream zombie game:
1. Limited resources- I want to have to think about using my weapons and have to worry about finding more of them.
2. Good A.I and animations- Both of these are needed to signifcantly enhance the experience. I want to feel like I have to worry about where I am whenever I encounter a zombie.
3. Open world game and the ability to go into nearly every building (schools as well)- running into a building and rooms to search for players or resources and finding out a zombies are waiting there forcing you to quickly react in what could be a narrow environment would be amazing.
4. MMO-like in terms of the amount of players you can randomly run into- A good amount of players would make the experience so much better. The constant thought of "I can team up with this person or kill them" in a game like that really is the driving point for long lasting gameplay.

If you ever saw the High School of the Dead anime and I don't really remember much from the Resident Evil movies but I'll assume it's in the direction as well, those are examples of what I want to see.

You just described DayZ.

Syf

Banned
One thing from SWG that could work really well in a zombie MMO is the player-created towns and cities. Not just static towns that players can occupy but the ability to establish your own community and place buildings as your group chooses. I hope they're including that possibility.

Codeblew

SOE DayZ variant? I'm ok with it.

This would be awesome. Add an even bigger map and a very high player limit like Planetside. If too many people congregate in one area (which would hurt gfx/network performance), the server could auto disperse the crowd like Asheron's Call did.

Pop

I guess we'll find out tomorrow. I like the news of new games coming but hate that it will probably be fall 2015 until we see it.

Sounds interesting. Would like to see SOE attempt this genre, but with the polish and finesse they've recently become known for. However, are they taking on too much at the moment? We're still waiting on PlanetSide 2 PS4 (and I assume there's continued development on that game on PC?) and they're still developing EQN, as well as they've heavily implied it will be coming to PS4 as well.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
We're getting there.

iEnPXs8gdTuWk.gif

Now just the AI.
To be fair, that single reload animation is not representative of the Arma 2 or even Arma 3 engine's animation.

Nobody confuses DayZ's animations for a Naughty Dog, Rockstar or Ubisoft Montreal game.

Overdoziz

Banned
To be fair, that single reload animation is not representative of the Arma 2 or even Arma 3 engine's animation.

Nobody confuses DayZ's animations for a Naughty Dog, Rockstar or Ubisoft Montreal game.
What I'm saying is that they're really working on improving the animations in the DayZ standalone. The weapon reload animations look way better than anything Arma has done animation-wise which is a good sign of things to come.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
What I'm saying that they're really working on improving the animations in the DayZ standalone. The weapon reload animations look way better than anything Arma has done animation-wise which is a good sign of things to come.
Yeah, sure. Every little bit helps.

Resident Evil 4 and Dark Souls 1 both have what I consider very good animation standalone animation, but they do not come together like games from the aforementioned studios.

Not that I think this game will even come close to the industry leaders, but wouldn't it be nice if they got at least up to the level of a Killzone game. That's also a more apt comparison because both are FPS.

H1N1 is better known as bird flu, there was a hoax that it had mutated to H1Z1 a couple of years ago.

H1N1 was the swine flu, the one that hit in 2009.

H5N1 is the bird flu.

H1Z1 is clearly piggy
lol
backing off the H1N1 name, with the Z standing for zombie.

Basically it's going to by a high budget DayZ.

Kind of excited to see more of this

Have yet to play a DayZ style game (was waiting for it to hit Ps4) so this looks like it will fit the bill for me

LtOrange

I have been waiting for a big publisher to get in on the Day-Z concepts for awhile now. I love the ideas behind Day-Z, but the bugginess and clunkiness has always been a huge turnoff. I really hope a PS4 version is in the cards.

Doesn't SOE have an announced PS4/PC game?

supposedly yes, http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/04...me-will-show-it-off-tomorrow-at-5-pm-pacific/

Following Smedley’s previous hints, word on the street is that the title will be a post-apocalyptic survival horror sandbox MMORPG with plenty of zombies to slaughter.

EDIT:

now i'm interested. haven't played a good zombie game online since L4D2. here's to hoping this game has a either a set retail price or doesn't rely on a subscription service. that'd kill all my interest. not willing to sub anything on PS4. just give me a set price or offer it as F2P.

Salex_

Really excited to see what this is. I've been waiting for a big publisher to jump on the DREAM (and CORRECT) zombie format.

Good AI, good animations, and proper hit detection are the key elements. Everything else can easily be improved.

So what went wrong with DayZ - is it still a case of the retail release lacking in features and the actual mod itself being more comprehensive? I thought it was really well regarded?

Top Bottom