• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |MarApr17| Brought to you by Arby's and Old Spice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seda

I liked 2nd GIG but the ending is a bit of a let down. Kinda feels too coincidental and convenient. Laughing man is in general a little more interesting too.

She hacked him :lol

I don't think she hacked him, Batou just couldn't bring himself to punch a woman and made it a bit theatrical.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
oh god, is next week the GitS episode where it's literally "sit around & summarize the plot via VR chat room"? I remember finding that episode so boring, but I was also around 14-15 at the time, so hopefully now I'll be able to tolerate it now.

cntr

Banned
Yeah I definitely like the 2nd GiG outfit more, from what I've seen of it. And I got the impression that Batou was hacked into punching himself there.

Pretty good week. Later!

Xe4

Banned
2nd Gig breh

tumblr_inline_ntwoqjpBYl1s11isf_500.png

tumblr_inline_ntwp59QUsR1s11isf_500.png

Also has the much better (as in Top 5 all-time) opening.

You're not wrong (though if I remember correctly, I still need to finish the second season). Also, I think both openings are pretty good.

Anyhow, night ya'll. See you next week and stuff!

ckohler

oh god, is next week the GitS episode where it's literally "sit around & summarize the plot via VR chat room"? I remember finding that episode so boring, but I was also around 14-15 at the time, so hopefully now I'll be able to tolerate it now.
I've actually been looking forward to that episode. Yeah, it's all just talking but I kinda dug its take on cybernetic chat rooms. Also, it's about the Laughing Man.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

I consider it a GREAT episode. One of the best in the series. Yes, it's entirely sitting around and talking.

cntr

Banned
One of my favorite episodes of Patlabor is where the two main characters sit around and talk in a car during the rain, so that sounds right up my alley

kinda surprised that so many people haven't watched 2nd gig, but hey it'll be fun to have new people other than me

BBboy20

I've said it many times before, but this is very tame in comparison to the original manga (& I guess the movie, but the nudity there was meant to be more "symbolic" & stuff).

I still get why it can seem distracting/out of place, but it doesn't bother me as much when I know the source material + mangaka is much more fanservicey.
I always called this animated representation as an Michael Mann production since a lot of the stuff he's directed and created does kind of takes personal drama at the back burner. If you had dramatic scenes that are suppose to evoke emotions from the main cast all the time, yeah, it can be a problem but a lot of what the Major is involved with most of the time is really exposition dumps and often not really the focus of the episode.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yeah, I'm enjoying the series MUCH more now considering I'm older & have the better mind set, plus watching it with you guys. I'm sure my impressions of the next episode will be much more positive compared to when I was younger, when I wanted "less talk, more action".

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I consider it a GREAT episode. One of the best in the series. Yes, it's entirely sitting around and talking.

Completely agree. I think I was more of a passive SAC fan until that ep, and then I actively started looking forward to new episodes.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Really now.

SAC has aired on AS/Toonami enough times I'd figure everyone has watched it but it's rather interesting that we are still talking about it now.

Happy birthday, Hell.

Last time it aired we had maybe half a dozen newbies who had never seen it.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
My general breakdown on GITS:SAC is that the first season has the better main story and stand alones that range from okay to great while the 2nd Gig has a disappointing main story and outstanding stand alone episodes.

cntr

Banned
Heh.

I'm sometimes unsure how much of what Man God says is trolling and how much is what he actually thinks

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Heh.

I'm sometimes unsure how much of what Man God says is trolling and how much is what he actually thinks

Hint: I pretty much never troll about Gundam, One Piece, Naruto, GITS, or DBZ. Jim Jam and HxH (Crap Puka edition) are fair game.

I do honestly love Hamon and find Stands a bit boring but I can see why they went that way.

cntr

Banned
oh my god the old kai's monologue

that was probably the lewdest piece of dialogue in all Dragonball

...that sand whale and me sketch tho

Raxus

I see the amount of effort you put into the sand whale sketch is about the same amount of time they put into writing the entirety of Sand Whale and Me.

cntr

Banned
You know, the daughters of Aku thought that the deer was a minion of Aku because of the antlers.

The green horseman that Jack constantly has visions of prominently features antlers on his helmet.

Hmmmmm.

People who can recognize foreshadowing, symbolism, or potential (perhaps this one may go hand-in-hand with either) and whatnot within stories seem to be my type of people.

Now this is key! I remember some of us (along with me) thinking the wolf from the second episode was dead, lol
Edit: Old Spice, huh? I remember those commercials playing a lot back when I was getting through season 1 of Space☆Dandy's initial airing

You know, the daughters of Aku thought that the deer was a minion of Aku because of the antlers.

The green horseman that Jack constantly has visions of prominently features antlers on his helmet.

Hmmmmm.

This is why I thought it represented Aku in the first episode but the second episode gave me doubts. I don't remember what happened with it in the second episode though that made me skeptical

Regiruler

So I'm catching up on Super, and I only just noticed they cleverly hid the SSG transformation in the opening, kinda like how jojo ops hide stuff.

caliph95

Hint: I pretty much never troll about Gundam, One Piece, Naruto, GITS, or DBZ. Jim Jam and HxH (Crap Puka edition) are fair game.

I do honestly love Hamon and find Stands a bit boring but I can see why they went that way.
I honestly didn't care for them because i got too used to harmon and thought it was go the typical bullshit powers i got sick after Bleach, but i loved it after watching part 4

Moaradin

I love late dragon ball, early dbz art. I always preferred the more rounded looking characters over the angular style he goes for later on.

cntr

Banned
I should reread the original manga, it's been so long that I've forgotten most of it

...man I just remembered how DB and DBZ ran alongside each other on Toonami when I was a kid, and I think I preferred Dragonball over DBZ even then.

caliph95

I should reread the original manga, it's been so long that I've forgotten most of it

...man I just remembered how DB and DBZ ran alongside each other on Toonami when I was a kid, and I think I preferred Dragonball over DBZ even then.
I feel i watch at as a kid more Dragon ball and Gt as a kid with two different episodes of the android saga. I remember being creeped out by cell absorbing people, my first i act i semi follow was Piccolo junior act because it happened to be on the anime channel. Funny enough most of my knowledge of Z was from video games

cntr

Banned
The earliest episode of Dragonball I remember watching was the one where Goku tries to cross Snake Way, kid me thought that was really fun and imaginative (and well, it is!)

I don't remember anything about DBZ other than Rock the Dragon, so I don't think it left much of an impression on me, lol

caliph95

Yeah Rock the Dragon was the most memorable thing for me as a kid lol. First episode of dragon ball for me i think is when Goku was looking for roshi and fought some big dude that acted like he was goku before getting a gut punch.

Imagine how confused i saw episodes of Tien and Picollo being villains and Yamcha doing something before i knew how useless he was.

It took me a while to get into OG Dragon Ball as a kid, but I definitely ended up warming up to it. It's certainly aged better than Z.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom