• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF turns modern games into PSOne-era classics!

Malyse

tumblr_mzaulslUOU1rvga34o1_400.gif

http://grogfella.tumblr.com/post/73118494043

While the intention is good, neighbour scaling a modern game to 320x240 doesn't exactly make it a PSone game. You forget the texture and model limitations of that thing.

Dunkley

While the intention is good, neighbour scaling a modern game to 320x240 doesn't exactly make it a PSone game. You forget the texture and model limitations of that thing.

Feel free to correct me, but wasn't 256x224 the standard resolution for the PS1?

I know some games ran on higher resolutions than that, but I remember reading somewhere that 256x224 was the standard res for most PSOne games.

Parsnip

Feel free to correct me, but wasn't 256x224 the standard resolution for the PS1?

I know some games ran on higher resolutions than that, but I remember reading somewhere that 256x224 was the standard res for most PSOne games.

Here's what pSX emulator author said about it a while ago.
The PS1 hardware supports several different modes, the width can be one of: 256, 320, 384, 512 or 640. The height can be 240 or 480(interlaced) for NTSC, PAL supports 256 or 512(interlaced).

Modes with width=256 are very rare in PS1 games, but I know of at least one game that uses it (Dragon Warrior 7). The others are quite common, with 320 being probably the most common (a lot of games use 512 or 640 for their menu screens though).

The way the PS1 GPU works means that games have to draw the entire frame buffer in interlaced modes, so pSX displays these as if they were progressive scan (this is not true for PS2 where apps can request the GPU to only draw the lines for the next field).

Nibel

Not sure if I have posted this here yet

iR1rmdFIQKXxL.png

The Phantom Pain. Why do I scale down the amount of polygons and details? Because I try to keep the sense of scale and game content.

Nibel

Another great demake, how do you make these?

Basically, I take screenshots from the actual games, cut out parts of textures in the worst way possible, lower the color amount, pixelize it and then transform the piece with the worst interpolation (CTRL + K in Photoshop) to get that PSX look and no blur etc.. That way I create the level, add other elements like trees/bushes and use different layers of white to create a draw distance.

Afterwards, I create characters: first, I create edged silhouettes that resemble the characters, then I do the same as above: I take parts of official screenshots, transform them with pixelated transformation and put them on the silhouettes. Repeat until done and then you are basically done.

The last part would be a pixelated UI. I either create that from zero as well or just pixelate exisiting UIs. Done!

vato_loco

I just wanted to tell you guys that I made a GAF account only so I could post this:

You guys ROCK. These are just so amazing!!!!

Blakynt

Banned
There's a PS1 rhythm game that looks like this wonderful work here and I'm stumped. He looks just like the two on the cover.

VAGRANT SOULS: TWO GREAT TASTES THAT TASTE GREAT TOGETHER!

that's soul river, not vagrant story. It is indeed very good selection of game, very classy

Malyse

http://the-regressor.tumblr.com/post/95323248996/mirrors-edge-64-fake-description

tumblr_nam5szx4FS1rqz5qko1_r1_1280.jpg

“Mirror’s Edge 64 was to be a revolutionary first person game well ahead of its time. Taking advantage of the awkward 64 controller, developers intended to give the players the most realistic immersion possible on the 64. The control set-up allowed for independent control not only the head and body, but also manually aim faiths eyes for greater range of view.

The character model of Faith too was an achievement in itself as well: she had real time articulated and animated fingers! Sadly, due to too many technical and financial constraints, Mirror’s Edge 64 was scrapped.”

the-regressor

Neo Member
let's just call it a stylistic choice, cause it doesn't look too bad with flat textures lol

It actually was a stylistic choice. I was going for something similar to how the cut scenes in mirrors edge looked, minimal detail.

Also, wow, neogafs finally approve my registration after 3 months :/

Malyse

It actually was a stylistic choice. I was going for something similar to how the cut scenes in mirrors edge looked, minimal detail.

Welcome aboard. Mine took like a year. Only got in when Jeff Cannata bitched them out on Weekend Confirmed.

Amir0x

Banned

your first post and you wasted it quoting me. i feel for you bro ;)

nah, but your Mirror's Edge stuff was great work man.

JordanN

Banned
With one day still left, I wanted to do something special for the 20th anniversary of Playstation.

So, I recreated the original Playstation, complete with all its jagged and low resolution glory!
ibmyG8g2vcyKNU.jpg

iYBfB2UJHF6rL.jpg

im7gY2sSDrcig.jpg

iI8HXiQebyZlO.jpg

I always wanted to make an entire PS1 theme level, though it wont be ready till next year. All I can show for now is one car.

ifoijShL19vyz.jpg

With one day still left, I wanted to do something special for the 20th anniversary of Playstation.

So, I recreated the original Playstation, complete with all its jagged and low resolution glory!
ibmyG8g2vcyKNU.jpg

iYBfB2UJHF6rL.jpg

im7gY2sSDrcig.jpg

iI8HXiQebyZlO.jpg

I always wanted to make an entire PS1 theme level, though it wont be ready till next year. All I can show for now is one car.

ifoijShL19vyz.jpg
Very authentic looking. How cool!

Top Bottom