• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For March 2017 [Up2: Year to date charts, platform specific charts]

Can we unpack that number a bit because I'm confused at how that was supposed to be 2 week sell through. Doesnt really match up with these NPD results. I could just be dumb though.

What does NPD(U.S. only) have to do with worldwide sales? Also NPD does not include digital for Sony exclusives. There is no conflict here.

Highest selling Bomberman history up to 2006:
>40k
Code:
N64 Bomberman 64 417,000
N64 Bomberman Hero 230,000
GC Bomberman Generations 129,000
GBA Bomberman MAX2 95,000
GBA Bomberman Tournament 83,000
GBA Bomberman Classic 82,000
SNES Super Bomberman 2 74,000
GEN Mega Bomberman 69,000
PSX Bomberman Party Ed 56,000+
PSX Bomberman World 46,000
GC Bomberman Jetters 40,000

So its likely to end up the 2nd best selling bomberman eventually?

So it sold double Killzone 2? Or it was double Shadow Fall but that was erroneously labeled the previous best selling game for Guerilla?

It's definitely appreciated. Getting more rankings helps us see more of the industry (especially with several perennial games in the top 10).

more than double Killzone 2

Celine

I feel Bomberman is one of those titles that greatly benefited from being a launch title. Especially as Switch had pretty barren launch line up.
Surely but Bomberman is also a good fit for Switch target audience:
Cherished legacy franchise + local multiplayer.
Same reason Capcom is realeasing a rehashed version of SFII.

EDIT:
SquareEnix too, with the release of Seiken Densetsu Collection.
The Mana series wasn't picked up randomly by Square:
It's their legacy multiplayer RPG series.

jmaine_ph

A lot to unpack here. MS Including digital starting next month caught my eye the most. Are they the first of the big 3 to do so?

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Just wow. It doesn't need help. No sure what kind of standards some of you are using.

While I'm sure that post is most likely a joke, in Australia at least, Horizon is being bundled with everything at the moment.

I say that because I was waiting for ages for a bundle and gave in 2 weeks ago and just bought Horizon on its own. 1 week later, they started bundling it like crazy. So pissed.

Fdkn

taking the Zelda on switch number given by Nintendo last week and the one given by NPD tonight, Zelda on NSW had ~25k digital sales.

That's a ~2% digital ratio

"March 2017 will go down in history books as the month Nintendo broke records.The Nintendo Switch had the biggest hardware launch for a Nintendo platform and the second biggest launch for any video game platform since 1995, the time NPD began tracking this category."

So Switch is number 2 to PS4's number 1 or did something launch in the 90s that was bigger? I don't know why this is confusing to me. The wording is throwing me for a loop.

mejin

An excellent month for Sony and PS4.

9 out of 10....17 out of 20...the number of games that can be played on PS4. Insane.

Dystify

taking the Zelda on switch number given by Nintendo last week and the one given by NPD tonight, Zelda on NSW had ~25k digital sales.

Not unexpected to go physical at a console launch. I doubt the digital ratio will stay like that.

LordKano

Highest selling Bomberman history up to 2006:
>40k
Code:
N64 Bomberman 64 417,000
N64 Bomberman Hero 230,000
GC Bomberman Generations 129,000
GBA Bomberman MAX2 95,000
GBA Bomberman Tournament 83,000
GBA Bomberman Classic 82,000
SNES Super Bomberman 2 74,000
GEN Mega Bomberman 69,000
PSX Bomberman Party Ed 56,000+
PSX Bomberman World 46,000
GC Bomberman Jetters 40,000

Thanks a lot.
It's assuredly at least the third best selling game. It could potentially take the second place if it has decent legs. So far, amazing result for Konami.

FelipeMGM

yeah, that what I was thinking

But is that 900k NPD gave is for Zelda Switch only or includes Wii U too?

Why I'm sure that post is most likely a joke, in Australia at least, Horizon is being bundled with everything at the moment.

I say that because I was waiting for ages for a bundle and gave in 2 weeks ago and just bought Horizon on its own. 1 week later, they started bundling it like crazy. So pissed.

I don't think it was a joke going from previous history, but yes Horizon is definitely the prime candidate to be the next value bundle. I don't expect it to the main bundle for the Fall like Uncharted 4 was with games like Destiny, COD WWII and Battlefront 2 on the horizon though(no pun intended).

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Those are ok numbers for horizon. I just don't understand why Sony exclusives can't hit a million in NA. Last gen gow3 was the only Sony game that sold over a million in its first month. Uncharted 3 topped out at 700k and tlou was at 950k iirc.

Those are respectable numbers for a single sku game but MS AAA exclusives like halo sold over 3 million until halo 5 bombed and sold just over a million copies. Gears last gen used to sell 2 million in NA alone.

I thought with Sony being in the lead this gen that trend would shift in Sony's favor but none of their big exclusives have managed to hit a million in first month sales so far.

Good to see nier and MLB sell well but man horizon was supposed to be Sony's biggest game of the year. I remember watching adverts for it late last year.

Welfare

So Switch is number 2 to PS4's number 1 or did something launch in the 90s that was bigger? I don't know why this is confusing to me. The wording is throwing me for a loop.

PS4 was the biggest launch at 1.1M units.

Xbox One is #3 now as it was 909K but now has been adjusted somewhere below 906K.

Phamit

So NPD says Switch + Wii U is over 900k

Nintendo says it's over 1,3 million

So about 400k Digital between Wii U and Switch ?

watdaeff4

Taking a moment to really look at the charts here are some of my takeaways:

Ubisoft really knows right now how to handle the current market: The Division last year, and now For Honor and Ghost Recon. Also Rainbow Six just keeps delivering.

On that note, GTAV, CoD and NBA just keep delivering also.

Not to take anything at all away from Ghost Recon, but I wonder if it got a boost in sales because it is the type of game that many of the XBox core base will go for (online multiplayer shooter) and frankly there hasn't been a lot of new headline software for that console since the holidays.

Suprised that Nier made the top 10. That's great news, it was my first game in that series (including Drakengard) and I loved it. Well-deserved.

Let me tell you about a little thing called online engagement...

Tell me maybe?

I don't really trust MS online engagement numbers when one of my friends always show up as playing FFXIV on my friends list. If MS is counting those hours for their online engagement that is stretching it to say the least.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

More like 2,7%. But yes, extremely tiny digital share for Zelda: as ZhugeEx said on Twitter, everyone went for retail copies since it was the launch month. That actually gives a clearer context to Zelda being quite low in eShop charts in spite of its retail sales. As time goes by, the digital share for retail titles should improve considerably. Still, I hope we get something about the early eShop status next week, at Nintendo's investor meeting.

Nanashrew

Banned
A little surprised Mass Effect outsold Horizon.

Horizon had a full month. Mass Effect had 1 week.

Not a great look. At least Horizon will be bundle fodder for the foreseeable future so I expect that to help it long term.

Not sure if parody... I see this same exact stuff in Switch threads. Horizon performed really well for a new IP. I fully expect to see a sequel.

hatchx

Banned
Surely but Bomberman is also a good fit for Switch target audience:
Cherished legacy franchise + local multiplayer.
Same reason Capcom is realeasing a rehashed version of SFII.

I'm surprised 3rd parties aren't rushing to port games to this thing while the lineup was still so barren. It couldn't be hard to port RE4, or Wolfenstein, or COD4, or basically any PS3/360 game worth a damn.

The fact that Nintendo, Konami, and soon Capcom will walk away with money in their pockets from overpriced and cheaply-developed games should show them the risk isn't as high as they originally thought.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
oh hi there Oli !

yeah - maybe

Heh....well, I was worred before, but now....

$

Those are ok numbers for horizon. I just don't understand why Sony exclusives can't hit a million in NA. Last gen gow3 was the only Sony game that sold over a million in its first month. Uncharted 3 topped out at 700k and tlou was at 950k iirc.

Those are respectable numbers for a single sku game but MS AAA exclusives like halo sold over 3 million until halo 5 bombed and sold just over a million copies. Gears last gen used to sell 2 million in NA alone.

I thought with Sony being in the lead this gen that trend would shift in Sony's favor but none of their big exclusives have managed to hit a million in first month sales so far.

Good to see nier and MLB sell well but man horizon was supposed to be Sony's biggest game of the year. I remember watching adverts for it late last year.

It launched the same month as two fairly big AAA IPs in Mass Effect and Clancy. A lot of more casual/mass market buyers don't by multiple big games per month and are probably going to gravitate towards the brands they know. I think word of mouth will help Horizon. For a brand new IP launching in a crowded release window, it's off to a fantastic start.

LordKano

What in the world ?

I simply don't get how you could call a new IP, from a not very well reputed studio, tackling a genre that has seen a lot of heavy hitters recently (and even in this very month), being both a critical and commercial success, just doing "ok". From what I've seen so far, Horizon should be a model for a lot of game devs studios, especially those who don't want to invest in the game service area ala Ubisoft.
Yes, it's not selling as well as Halo. No shit. It was never meant to.

Does it really matter where the games sold as long as they sold? I would think 2.6 million sold in less than 2 weeks would be enough evidence that the game was a major success, but apparently NPD matters more....think about how that makes no sense. That means that the US market accounted for less than a third of HZD's first month sales. PlayStation has never been as reliant on the US market for sales compares to Xbox in hardware or software and that hasn't changed this generation.

It makes relative sense as it is rather inconvenient to wait for your game to download after setting it up and it is pretty easy to either ship Zelda alongside the Switch/ grab it in stores when picking up the switch. A lot of digital sales come from digital preorder and later digital store sales. Tie in relative distrust in Nintendo's online and there you go

While I'm sure that post is most likely a joke, in Australia at least, Horizon is being bundled with everything at the moment.

Where is it being bundled everywhere? There is none in North America. It's not being bundled like crazy...at all. Seems like a way to try to downplay its success to me.

Top Bottom