• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crash Bandicoot: N.Sane Trilogy |OT| N.Teresting and N.Tertaining N.Fographics With-N

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I now only have The Lab to get gold on. Juat finished a run of it. Saphire. Ok there's a few places I can shave time off if I'm less careful lets take a look at the requirement. 56 SECONDS?! I'm nowhere near.

Sullichin

Got Road To Nowhere relic...I can get High Road.
Got Lost City.... I can get Sunset Vista.
Got Temple Ruins... I can get Jaws of Darkness.

Arghhhhh

I now only have The Lab to get gold on. Juat finished a run of it. Saphire. Ok there's a few places I can shave time off if I'm less careful lets take a look at the requirement. 56 SECONDS?! I'm nowhere near.

Yeah I was fucking way off there too. This one seems insanely tight.

theaface

Main tip - hit the scientist through the door so that he blows up the TNT. That way you don't have to trigger it,m and wait before you can activate the switch.

Skikkiks

My strategy when i was going for the High Road relic was to play the level normally and quick until i see a turtle (unless you can ignore the turtle and make the jump like the first two turtles) and then carefully jump on the ropes and go from there.

Basically use shitty ropes to avoid shitty turtles, but when it's just normal bridge jumps it's easier to play the level normally.

ThisOne

Just beat Crash 1. No desire to go back and get gems or relics or whatever. Some of those levels are just infuriating. Hoping Crash 2 is better. Overall, I liked Crash 1 but the physics definitely feel a bit off and unpredictable.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Just did Eggpus Rex...way to mess up the level as it used to be the best level to rack up 99 lives as you get the time trial clock and still collect the fruit as they wouldn't fly off but nope not in the remaster version where the fly off after getting the clock.

So Eggpus Rex is now a pointless boring level with zero value of worth.

Also the Motorbike levels still suck and completely drag the game down as if you suck at them then you aren't getting any further.

My strategy when i was going for the High Road relic was to play the level normally and quick until i see a turtle (unless you can ignore the turtle and make the jump like the first two turtles) and then carefully jump on the ropes and go from there.

Basically use shitty ropes to avoid shitty turtles, but when it's just normal bridge jumps it's easier to play the level normally.

Yeah thanks man, going to really sink my teeth in. It's the hardest relic right? I'd rather a thousand Slippery climbs over this :(

Wow, the jetski stages are misery. Something about Coco's handling feels way off. Like she accelerates too quickly and slows down too abruptly. I feel like I used to handle the tighter movement in the original PSX by tapping the accelerator and adjusting my direction on the fly. Now she accelerates so quickly, I'm missing entire rows of boxes completely. I mean don't get me wrong, I hated the original Jetski levels too, but the handling in this version feels so off that it's even harder to traverse and collect tiny boxes than it was originally.

Just did Eggpus Rex...way to mess up the level as it used to be the best level to rack up 99 lives as you get the time trial clock and still collect the fruit as they wouldn't fly off but nope not in the remaster version where the fly off after getting the clock.

Also the Motorbike levels still suck and completely drag the game down as if you suck at them then you aren't getting any further.

Aren't fruit flying off a standard behavior for relics? And if Eggpus Rex didn't do this in the original, it sounds more like an oversight that VV corrected over a feature they forgot.

*Splinter

Aren't fruit flying off a standard behavior for relics? And if Eggpus Rex didn't do this in the original, it sounds more like an oversight that VV corrected over a feature they forgot.
I thought the fruit always flew away, but I just checked this level on the original (on yt) and the fruit stayed. Maybe it's an exception as you said.

The first tiger riding level is best for lives anyway though.

Tsunamo

I'm quite suprised playing backwards for time trials that Crash 1 actually seems to be the most difficult to Gold on.

It's not so much the lack of abilitys, so much as the times feel extremely close to eachother between Gold/Saphire relics. Good fun though, unlike 2 and 3 I don't have to second guess whether I could use the run/slide button at a specific point or walk it.

guyssorry

The controls feel weird in these games---too stiff, maybe? IDK. Anyway, Crash 1 was an exercise in frustration. Levels (many) in which you can't really tell where Crash is in relation to his surroundings (i.e. depth issues), difficulty is all over the place (some of which is 10/10 difficult) and can feel unfair at times, etc. I didn't enjoy the game at all. I'm playing Crash 2 now, and it is immensely more enjoyable and varied. I hope 3 is even better. Overall, though, I am not enjoying these games as much as I thought I would, but I don't necessarily regret the purchase.

Yukinari

Yeah it seems like the only reliable way to grind lives in crash 3 is to enter Sphynxinator, collect the lives on the left path, quit and reload your auto save and repeat.

And with how long the load times are its the slowest of the trilogy to get 99 lives on.

Gulz1992

Welp, finally completed Crash 1. All gems, 20 gold and 6 platinum relics. I guess I feel satisfied that I finally did it, but I don't ever plan on playing through this game again.

*Splinter

The dance? There's nothing wrong with that.
They made it so that he poses for the screenshot you get when you earn a trophy. It's a clever little change imo, but the poster you're responding complained about travelling left to right on the second island of Crash 1 sooooo... anything that isn't a 1:1 copy is gonna get called out.

Ash735

For people grinding lives on Crash 3, just load Level 3, Orient Express, the level can be done in under 30 seconds and easily can pick up 4/5 lives at a time.

RiggyRob

Just beat Crash 1. No desire to go back and get gems or relics or whatever. Some of those levels are just infuriating. Hoping Crash 2 is better. Overall, I liked Crash 1 but the physics definitely feel a bit off and unpredictable.

We just finished Crash 1 as well, and I feel the same way at some of those levels! Getting the no-death gems is going to be a nightmare.

I think Crash 2 is better, it feels faster plus the slide jump gives you a lot more manoeuvrability too.

wiibomb

each relic in crash 1 requires to go through all the level without dying, right?

that is the most frustrating part, passing all levels perfectly is really damn hard.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Crash 3 is ridiculously easy to speed run compared to the other 2.

You're right and that's a good thing.

Also glad that Vicarious Visions kept the difficulty of each game, as well as the different moves in each and different handling in 1 compared to 2 and Warped.

Crash 3 is ridiculously easy to speed run compared to the other 2.
It was actually designed with speed runs in mind

And there's no high road level

I'm kind of surprised that Crash 1's time trials were as fun as they were. The parts that demand really specific maneuvers were (mostly) satisfying to get through.

You're right and that's a good thing.

Also glad that Vicarious Visions kept the difficulty of each game, as well as the different moves in each and different handling in 1 compared to 2 and Warped.

I guess. I do think 1 and 2 are a little too hard, but 3 is just really easy. I think if they could have found a difficulty in between 1/2 and 3, that would be perfect.

Sullichin

They made it so that he poses for the screenshot you get when you earn a trophy. It's a clever little change imo, but the poster you're responding complained about travelling left to right on the second island of Crash 1 sooooo... anything that isn't a 1:1 copy is gonna get called out.

You can rotate the map with square and circle and travel either way ;)

Gold relic on Native Fortress get!

That took a while lol.

Edit: I know what I have to do to shed a few seconds off and get Platinum, but screw it. Sticking with Gold.

ghibli99

Making my way through Crash 2... not even bothering with the TTs until I finish the game. This might be crazy talk, but I think I might like 1 more so far (about halfway through the second world).

Making my way through Crash 2... not even bothering with the TTs until I finish the game. This might be crazy talk, but I think I might like 1 more so far (about halfway through the second world).

1 for me is absolutely the best of the 3 by far. Pure platforming, without any extra unnecessary moves (sliding, double jump, etc.) The levels are challenging. And the world map has a bit more life to it than the warp rooms.

goldenpp72

I finally finished what I expected to finish, a platinum trophy for all 3 games, and all platinum relics outside of the original, where it's a mix of Gold (mostly) and Platinum. Had a great time and figured i'd share some thoughts.

Crash Bandicoot

I actually did not like this game as a kid, and always viewed the real beginning of the series to be the sequel. However with age and some enhancements in the remake, it's actually a fun, very focused platformer that has a bit of flakey collision detection and in my mind, not as well balanced relic trials considering the sort of levels and duration they often run for. Obviously the game was not made with them in mind, but I found it the most frustrating due to it, and did not bother going for perfect runs. Overall, I'd give it a 7.5

Crash Bandicoot 2

As usual, this is my favorite and nothing has changed here, everything people complain about is something that just doesn't bug me in this, sans the ice controls on a few levels. I love that there something like 25 levels of pure platforming goodness with tight controls, much expanded moveset, a much better story presentation, better music, and overall a more interesting tone. While it doesn't beat the original in every way, it's a far more consistent game with a much greater feeling of evolution. If not for the notable input lag (especially in the riding segments) and a couple wonky things in the remake, it would be a near perfect game for my taste. The relics are also fantastic in the majority of the levels, being even better than the game they originated from in many instances. I'd go with a 9.2 or so, with a bit of an upgrade if they ever patch it a bit.

Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped

This is a game I enjoyed a lot as a kid, and with the introduction of relics, I guess I felt I got enough of what I wanted with it, however unfortunately it is more obviously a mixed bag for me now. While I enjoy the new themes, new move sets, and what I consider often superior level designs and concepts to even Crash 2, the sheer amount of gimmick levels is just astonishing. There are really around 30 levels total if you include the 2 hidden ones, and not even half of them I believe are actually on foot, and even less so are just normal platforming levels. While I understand them feeling the need to spice it up and experiment, it just leads to an experience where you will spend more time using vehicles, being under water, or whatever, then you do just playing normal Crash. I personally enjoyed the water levels, the riding levels and the chase levels enough to not mind them continuing to be parts of the series, but there are still 4 jet ski levels, 4 motorbike levels, I think 3 plane levels, meaning over 1/3 of the game isn't really especially great, just inoffensive (sans the bike levels which are just not good)

What you have here is a game that is superior to Crash 2 when it is actually focusing on what Crash 2 does, and I would say an upgrade in the animal riding levels and chase levels too, the addition of water levels was interesting, but the rest just had no real right to be there. The fact the entire final secret world does not have a single non vehicle level (and rather, just 2 'alternate route' spots for 2 existing levels, is just outright gross. The final levels (from the real level 30, to the secret level 32, etc) are also all gimmick levels. When going for relics, i'm pretty sure I spent a lot more time using vehicles, then using Crash. Still, it's a fun game that is just very inconsistent, I would hope if they make another that they leave the mechanical vehicles behind. I'll give it an 8 since most of it is still fun, with only the bike being particularly offensive.

Overall the whole trilogy set is still really compelling, I enjoyed Crash 1 a lot more than I thought, still love 2, and 3 is amazingly fun while being dull as well. A great remake effort on a set of games that have their ups and downs.

I also have uploaded 2 different playlist for platinum relic runs for Crash 2 and 3, so feel free to have a look if you need help or are bored.

Crash 1 (didn't do videos for this since I didn't do platinums)

DEqN5UFVwAAkk1E.jpg

Crash 2 Platinum runs

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBtoFv_OkauifcKE77ng8vffXKZQBgmK1

DD6X0hXXkAElk_z.jpg

Crash 3 Platinum runs

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBtoFv_OkaugV-4FE34yT84nAoZf84iup

DEqCYfFV0AEK1ip.jpg

BetaM

So, I saw the powered-up spinning attack used as a speedrun tech in Warped...

How does it work?

Slide-spin, then during that start the tornado spin by pressing spin a second time, jump, then mash square until the end. You get some speed if you manage to land it.

Qwark

Hmm, I got the secret ending in Crash 1 and I think I got all of the gems, but my save file still says 25... Is there something I'm missing or did I glitch it somehow?

Oh doy, I somehow missed Whole Hog, strange that I was still able to get the secret ending.

Sullichin

Hmm, I got the secret ending in Crash 1 and I think I got all of the gems, but my save file still says 25... Is there something I'm missing or did I glitch it somehow?

I think the colored gems count toward the gem path in the great hall now so it's possible you still missed one. Maybe Fumbling in the Dark or Whole Hog?

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Finished Crash 2 last night, started Crash 3 judt after.

Oh God, those boring underwater levels.
Fuck those jet ski levels, they control worse than a drunken whore in a shopping cart with three wheels going downhill.
Goddamn tiger riding levels are kinda bleh too.
And still have those motorcycle levels to do..

-_-

farisr

I have done a few relic runs while naturally progressing through the game. but right now for the remainder, I want to do the toughest ones first before tackling the others. I just did:

The Lab
Jaws of Darkness
Slippery Climb
The High Road

Is Sunset Vista the next hardest one?

Top Bottom