• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soulcalibur V |OT| Go home and be a salary man!

Kurod

Banned
Thanks for popping my online cheery, Ferrior, Q, and Spider. I need to get my attack timing down and stop being as predictable. Hopefully the lag won't be so bad next time around.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Thanks for popping my online cheery, Ferrior, Q, and Spider. I need to get my attack timing down and stop being as predictable. Hopefully the lag won't be so bad next time around.

Yeah, it's annoying when I drop an AAB chain.*as in only 1 or 2 hits of it come out* How is that even possible? XD

At Evo instead of a tournament they should just play against Nightmare on Hard difficulty and see who wins first.

I swear to fuck. That is the first and last time I fight Nightmare in Arcade mode on Hard difficulty.
Someone needs to go to Namco and explain to them that there is more to a learning curve than going from normal difficulty to batshit fucking insane.

A funny thing I noticed though, is if you stick to one throw for a long time, then go to another throw, he will not break out of your other throw for a while. So if you only throw with A+G for a few matches and then switch to B+G, he won't break out of the B+G throws for a few matches. It's weird. It's like he's learning, then forgets. If you mix in some specials or normals he'll start to counter everything well. And the motherfucker will ring you out PURPOSELY any chance he can get. You can't bait ring outs like in SCIV, he rings you out instead.

Christ, I thought SNK bosses were tough. At least you can cheese them when you find the right tactics.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
At Evo instead of a tournament they should just play against Nightmare on Hard difficulty and see who wins first.

I swear to fuck. That is the first and last time I fight Nightmare in Arcade mode on Hard difficulty.
Someone needs to go to Namco and explain to them that there is more to a learning curve than going from normal difficulty to batshit fucking insane.

A funny thing I noticed though, is if you stick to one throw for a long time, then go to another throw, he will not break out of your other throw for a while. So if you only throw with A+G for a few matches and then switch to B+G, he won't break out of the B+G throws for a few matches. It's weird. It's like he's learning, then forgets. If you mix in some specials or normals he'll start to counter everything well. And the motherfucker will ring you out PURPOSELY any chance he can get. You can't bait ring outs like in SCIV, he rings you out instead.

Christ, I thought SNK bosses were tough. At least you can cheese them when you find the right tactics.

Try Legendary Souls. :D

soakrates

Thanks, all. Hates was actually trolling me a bit with Nightmare. I was actually a little flattered when he switched to Astaroth after the third game, hahah

But yeah, Hates' Asta is pretty horrific to fight. Way too solid. I need to play some more sessions with him to get a sense of how to approach that matchup.

Not bad for my first SC5 tourney though. Bought a burrito with my winnings. Good times.

frequency

So... I just realized I can actually side step an attack easier if I just walk to the side instead of double tap. I'm having a much easier time against people who just spam one attack now.

I'm dumb. And slow.

I need a faster low attack. My non-multi-button low attacks are all so slow. I need some way to get a hit in on people on the ground before they get back up.
I also need to learn to use Guard Impact. But I suck so much at timing.
And I need to learn to use my meter more. I rarely use it. I need to use Brave Edges more.

Ahah!

I knew that was a SEN thing. Always fought naked thong trolls in SC IV every time I tried the past year.

What's a SEN?

The CaS has gotten better as the night went on. I haven't seen a penis in like an hour. I'll try to not play during busy hours on weekends anymore.

frequency

Only one way to solve this. Chairs match.

PSN's been renamed by Sony to SEN.

Live, the big thing is to have the fighters in boxer shorts.

Oh, I don't follow that stuff. SEN eh. It's certainly easier to vocalize than PSN.
I don't mind silly looking characters. I just don't want to see penises.

Kurod

Banned
Unless kurod is in alaska too I doubt it.

Nah my internets are Tennessean. Might be Comcast. For the most part my connections with everyone were at 3bars though once in a while they dipped hard. The lag really threw off my juggles making me miss my c3a.

DTJAAAAM

Trying to finish off the last two achievements (the damn walking and maximum level ones) so I can "retire" the game before Kingdoms of Amalur gets here. I'd say this installment definitely has my favorite battle mechanics and I had a lot of fun going through every opponent in Quick Battle. No major lag issues with the online mode either, and I only got two pieces of hate mail this time! :D

If they keep this up and bring back the character endings and missing characters/styles in an upgraded version or SCVI, I'll be happy.

Hellix

I just bought this game brand new on eBay for $47. Hopefully I don't regret my purchase! :D

Dang, I'd really liked to get this game if I could find it for under $50. But, I doubt that will happen any time soon unless I get it used (or find something on eBay like you).

Dueck

Banned
Dang, I'd really liked to get this game if I could find it for under $50. But, I doubt that will happen any time soon unless I get it used (or find something on eBay like you).

I don't know if the same thing is going on where you live, but I traded in AC: Brotherhood and AC: Revelations for $50 due to a promo at EB Games. Along with another $5 from ACII, I ended up only spending like $25 cash for the SCV CE.

(EDIT: it doesn't have to AC, it's just got to be 2 games over $8 in value each to get the $50)

Hellix

I don't know if the same thing is going on where you live, but I traded in AC: Brotherhood and AC: Revelations for $50 due to a promo at EB Games. Along with another $5 from ACII, I ended up only spending like $25 cash for the SCV CE.

(EDIT: it doesn't have to AC, it's just got to be 2 games over $8 in value each to get the $50)

I'm not much of a fan of trading-in games. Out of the ~20 PS3 games I own, I don't think there is any I would want to trade-in anyway.

I was hoping Newegg would throw a $48 promo close to release date, but alas, they didn't.

frequency

Does player level affect match making? Or is it just rank?

I want to unlock more CaS stuff. I feel my options are so limited right now. But I don't want the game to think I'm any good because I have a high player level.

I made an Anubis Polnareff from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure using ZWEI as a base :)

9K and his 3-hit Ein attack are totally Polnareff moves, too ^_^

lfs53.jpg

ZWEI is so much fun, just got the game in the mail today. I beat story mode in 2 hours -_-

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Does player level affect match making? Or is it just rank?

I want to unlock more CaS stuff. I feel my options are so limited right now. But I don't want the game to think I'm any good because I have a high player level.

Pretty sure player level just has to do with unlocking stuff and has no relevance to matchmaking at all.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Bleh, dropped to 20-10 on ranked going for the 10 wins with Ezio. Now that I'm done with that I'll focus on Xiba and secondary Algol most likely.

Did they give Algol a lot of new tricks in V or was I just sleeping on how fun he was in IV?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Picked up Tira today. Rough start with her but I'm starting to get the hang of her. Having to manage her mood stances is interesting. "Oh shit I'm at 50% health, I better blow one of my CEs and go back into shitty mood stance"
While I mainly played Cassie and Xianghua in 2 and 3, I started dabbling with Tira back in 3 and with Cassie gone I'm going to pick up where I left off. I think due to the non-guaranteed nature of her stance changes you can't be too particular about which one you currently have. Gotta love her easy hitconfirms into super, though.

Picked up SC5 yesterday and I absolutely love it so far. First SC game I bought since SC on Dreamcast. Brings back good memories man. Just started the story mode. Been mostly playing Arcade battles getting used to what characters I like so far. I'm not so good, and I can't find a match to play online so far. Keeps giving me a connection error when I try to go to the global colesium part.

kiryogi

Banned
Gah, don't think I'll be on tonight Q. Sorry! Ended up going out for a drink after work and just got home. Super tired D: Gonna go lie down, but maybe if it ends up being a power nap instead and you're still around later then we can go at it. Otherwise, tomorrow night!

Care to explain? I am a sucker for guides xD

Best fighting game guide ever.

luffeN

Gah, don't think I'll be on tonight Q. Sorry! Ended up going out for a drink after work and just got home. Super tired D: Gonna go lie down, but maybe if it ends up being a power nap instead and you're still around later then we can go at it. Otherwise, tomorrow night!

Best fighting game guide ever.

Amazon.de is out of stock or something like that. Gonna have to wait!

Edit: Ordered @ Zavvi for 17 Euros.

shiroryu

Why is Story Mode bad? I've gotten thru some of it (chapter 18) and it seems to get the job done for a fighting game story (Japanese VA, btw). Were people expecting to play as all of the major cast members, like MK9?

Trying out a few characters, and Natsu is dope, like a Taki on steroids. Viola's playstyle is interesting, but that Ease of Use stat couldn't get any lower.

noodalls

I did some investigations for JG. My findings are

JG can be held for up to 4frames
You must release JG 1-6F before the attack hits.
The earliest you can repeat JG is 29F after the last time you pressed guard.
JG gives and extra -5F of block disadvantage (for the one move I tested) --> now six moves, all the same.
JG does not change the blocking character's recovery.
GI window is F2-11.

Full thread at
http://8wayrun.com/threads/noodalls-investigates-jg-and-some-gi.10645/

noodalls

ATP Review of the Soul Calibur 5 Players Guide by Future Press

Mine still hasn't shipped from Amazon and I placed my order weeks ago. =(

I was the person to post first about this on 8wayrun, and hadn't seen any other threads/mentions about this before mine. I put in my order pretty much the same time as I did this.

Hello,

We regret to inform you that your order will take longer to fulfill than originally estimated. Our supplier has notified us that there is a delay obtaining stock for the following items you ordered on January 08 2012.

Alx

Did he really call Zwei "Zee-Way" ? :D

Why is Story Mode bad? I've gotten thru some of it (chapter 18) and it seems to get the job done for a fighting game story (Japanese VA, btw). Were people expecting to play as all of the major cast members, like MK9?

I thought it was pointless, as in it doesn't give you anything special compared to a quickmatch. In older SC episodes, the solo modes added special rules to each fight, which added diversity (poisoned weapons, characters sinking into the ground, opponents that could be hurt with only certain types of moves...). Other fighting games give you a small backstory for each character you play (which is sort of pointless too, but it adds a small something).
Story mode in SC5 is just there. I finished it once, but I don't think I'll play it ever again.

The story mode has lots of potential but just doesn't have enough content. If they had different routes where you control different groups of characters instead of just three, I think it would of been a lot better. (I'm not a huge fan of the art style that was used either. Too much reliance of the still images, and a lot of them weren't that great.)

There's really no reason why Leixia, Maxi, Natsu and Xiba's group couldn't of had their own scenario. (And maybe find out more about Kilik's current state.) Plus, why couldn't we see what Schwarzwind was doing while not with Pat? (And maybe give Viola more than three lines. She had zero interaction with Raphael.)

Why was Voldo helping Dumas? Do Hilde & Siegfried have a relationship? Did Mitsurugi and Algol ever get to finish their duel? Where's Cervantes & Aeon? Is Dampierre even doing anything canon?

All of these questions could of been answered with an story mode that included everyone, or at least if the game had endings for every character. Instead we got an extremely short story that only really focused on 20% of the cast.

V_Arnold

I think that it is reasonable to accept that finally, Soul Calibur "story" really IS about Soul Calibur and Soul Edge, not all the fighters themselves. This story reflected that.

If a still ending was made to everyone, some chars would have had "and he did nothing. He practiced though..." as an ending, and I think leaving it open is better than that.

I think that it is reasonable to accept that finally, Soul Calibur "story" really IS about Soul Calibur and Soul Edge, not all the fighters themselves. This story reflected that.

If a still ending was made to everyone, some chars would have had "and he did nothing. He practiced though..." as an ending, and I think leaving it open is better than that.

Their endings don't have to be related to the Soul Calibur/Edge. Mitsurugi, for example, usually has zero relevance to main plot, but he does have his own story. Same goes for a bunch of other characters.

Almost every fighting game has characters that are more integral to the central plot and outlining characters that have their own stuff going on, that doesn't mean they should be ignored.

Alx

I always thought that endings were confusing in fighting games anyway, since in the end everybody gets to beat the final boss / win the tournament. I usually consider each one as an "alternate universe" thing, but it looks like Soulcalibur tries to make a consistent story involving everybody.

Sectus

I'd prefer to see them throw away the story completely, it isn't good now and it never was good. Give me something like weapon master mode instead and I'll be happy.

shiroryu

Yeah, that's what struck me too. Instead of trying to tie it all together, they went for the swords as they are the major players in each story. They focused on the relation between the sword wielders and the swords.

Wonder how much sway CyberConnect had in making the mode. Did they just make it per the SCV team's rules or did they exert some form of creative control?

Maybe they should have had Arcade Mode have endings for each character. Or do it like Broken Destiny, where the character you choose tags along with characters integral to the story (nonsensical story, but I liked it) and newbies can learn the ropes at the same time.

VerTiGo

Banned
This is my first Soul Calibur since SC2. I am a Capcom fighter kind of guy. Getting ready to play SFxTekken seriously but until then been trying to branch out. KoF was a let down IMO and I just couldn't get into it so trying to get in 3D fighters again after years of ignoring them. Liking the game definitely.

Noaloha

Can anyone with deep knowledge (perhaps with the guide?) explain to me what a 'Break Attack' property is?

Some cursory Googling tells me that it's different to whatever the term meant in SCIV; other than that, Google's drawing a blank. And the 'help' function in the game's movelist is a little faux-helpful: 'BREAK ATTACK [BA] -- moves with a Break Attack property'. Thanks game!

I'm just curious is all. I've found a few simple set-ups with ZWEI that appear to make use of this BA thing - I'm seeing larger-than-expected numbers pop up on the damage flash, but I have no idea exactly why.

One example I'm looking at is ZWEI's B+K(BE)~214B, 1A. Those first two parts do more damage when comboed than if you look at their individual values, which I assume has something to do with the Break Attack property.

remz

Can anyone with deep knowledge (perhaps with the guide?) explain to me what a 'Break Attack' property is?

Some cursory Googling tells me that it's different to whatever the term meant in SCIV; other than that, Google's drawing a blank. And the 'help' function in the game's movelist is a little faux-helpful: 'BREAK ATTACK [BA] -- moves with a Break Attack property'. Thanks game!

I'm just curious is all. I've found a few simple set-ups with ZWEI that appear to make use of this BA thing - I'm seeing larger-than-expected numbers pop up on the damage flash, but I have no idea exactly why.

One example I'm looking at is ZWEI's B+K(BE)~214B, 1A. Those first two parts do more damage when comboed than if you look at their individual values, which I assume has something to do with the Break Attack property.

Those are the attacks that break people's guard (ie it makes them recoil and stop blocking) as far as I know

CPS2

I did some investigations for JG. My findings are

JG can be held for up to 4frames
You must release JG 1-6F before the attack hits.
The earliest you can repeat JG is 29F after the last time you pressed guard.
JG gives and extra -5F of block disadvantage (for the one move I tested)
JG does not change the blocking character's recovery.
GI window is F2-11.

Full thread at
http://8wayrun.com/threads/noodalls-investigates-jg-and-some-gi.10645/

Can you option select JG with a normal G if you release and then hold G within 6F of the attack hitting? They seemed to be demonstrating that in an ATP video but does it actually work?

Just so it's clear what I'm saying, quickly double tapping G is pointless right? The 2nd tap will make it so that you've voided your JG input completely? To JG properly you have to make sure you're not pressing anything at all when the attack hits right?

Noaloha

Those are the attacks that break people's guard (ie it makes them recoil and stop blocking) as far as I know

Looks about yeah, thanks. I set the dummy to all-block and it ploughs right through it. That odd extra damage (and it's only a small amount, nothing eye-opening in itself) probably comes from being in the brief recoil state I assume.

I realised that, if they do block the first hit, the 1A at the end of that combo can be Ukemi'd out with a backroll (not side), leaving me asking for a punish. Finishing with 2K instead combos consistently though in that situation. The 1A seems to unUkemiable if the first hit lands. No idea why. Oh, for a brain that could react in time to hit-confirm options.

Top Bottom