• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tips for using NeoGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Protip: Blamespace is secretly Tyler as indicated by the bananas and therefore supremeleader.

A lot of people don't seem to realize that mobile GAF has these useful settings.

Go to m.neogaf.com
Click on the square in the top-right corner, click 'preferences'

From here, you can switch to the dark theme.
You can also change the function of the right arrow on threads from 'go to last page' to 'go to last unread reply' (which is probably more useful).

Fat4all

Banned
Fat for all right?

tumblr_mpht1qbWZE1rjdxtio1_500.gif

How is fat for all an improvement?

it's not

but it is for everyone

Avixph

LOL!

But real tip, if you pay close enough attention most veteran posters will hold back from commenting when a thread is around X99 comments. They don't want their comment buried deep on the page and then immediately put a page back when someone else comments.
WTF that ain't true.

Radec

A lot of people don't seem to realize that mobile GAF has these useful settings.

Go to m.neogaf.com
Click on the square in the top-right corner, click 'preferences'

From here, you can switch to the dark theme.
You can also change the function of the right arrow on threads from 'go to last page' to 'go to last unread reply' (which is probably more useful).

You can also disable images from showing to save mobile data.

Media

Dark theme is best theme

Also, don't get gaf famous*. It never ends well, even if you get it for good reasons.

*unless you are blamespace who is somehow immune.

Beartruck

Huh?

image.php

Right click on avatar, save image location, click image radio button and paste or throw the tags around it yourself.
[/QUOTE]
[IMG]https://assets-neogafllc.netdna-ssl.com/forum/image.php?u=51131&dateline=1490511037

Sweet, I did it. Thanks!

Not

Banned
Dark theme is best theme

Also, don't get gaf famous. It never ends well, even if you get it for good reasons.

You know those people who openly campaign for things Sean Young-style?

Don't they always get what they want?

TIME TO PROVE YOU ALL WRONG

compo

Banned
What's the record for the longest time to go from junior member to member? I think I have a pretty good pace going to place high in that competition.

Kayhan

Dark theme is best theme

Also, don't get gaf famous*. It never ends well, even if you get it for good reasons.

*unless you are blamespace who is somehow immune.

Famous gaffers have a target on their back.

Light theme is torture theme.

Kisaya

I've been shit posting for years and the only advice I have to give is just to be an decent person. Don't bother being a persona. Like... it's so easy.

Griss

Here's a question... The 'Your Posts' section only goes back 1,500 pages. How do people find their posts that are older than that?

Like if I want to know what I was predicting the Switch to be or whatnot, do I just need to do a google site search with my username and 'Nintendo nx' involved or whatnot? I'm terrible at searching online.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I made this and drop it in these things whenever I see them:

1. Don't troll, regardless of who else is doing it. Some of them have a license to do so, some of them know how to do it appropriately, and some of them know how to make it funny. You don't have the clearance, you don't know how to do it appropriately, and you're not funny. Don't try it.

2. Gaming side is a minefield but can be fun if you know what you're doing. It's probably best for you to stick to topics that you're familiar with, games you intend on playing, or systems/games you already own. If you enter a topic outside of your familiarity, refer back to #1.

3. Memes are best avoided. Enjoy them while they last and laugh all you want, but they're all eventually banned.

4. Off-Topic is a more relaxed atmosphere but can be dangerous if you suck at posting. In a weird paradox, OT has fewer stupid posters which makes it easier for mods to patrol the area. A good rule of thumb is to post to threads you like. Basically, don't troll and don't go into topics you're not interested in.

5. Challenge Mods at your own risk. Some of them are fantastic at the back-and-forth debate while others leave zero room for discussion. The best strategy is to be respectful of all of them at all times, regardless of their current behavior. Everything they post is an opinion but should be treated like a fact that only the boldest and most confident posters with evidence should challenge. In any situation where their behavior is being questioned, they are correct and the topic should be avoided.

6. No matter the topic, if you make a blanket statement--especially criticism--back it up with evidence. You won't always get banned for not doing so, but it's always a good practice and will go a long way towards building your recognition and respect.

7. If you want a tag, join and become a regular contributor to one of the -ages. It can take a long time and usually requires some memorable contribution. Remember though, there's a hairline difference between a tag and a permaban, so be careful. Best bets for tags are Sales-Age, PC-Age, AV-Age, SportsGAF, PoliGAF. Most of the time they're given for being stupid, so it's not some mark of glory but usually a mark of shame. Some can be a source of pride, though.

8. Don't be dumb when starting a new thread. Search before you post! If it's news and happened more than 30 minutes ago, it's probably old. If it's sales-age, you or the source are probably misinterpreting the evidence. If it's girl-age, you're probably going to be embarrassed. If it's PoliGAF, you're probably going to show how little you know. If it's about your culture, religion, country, language, philosophy, or any preference, be prepared to defend your beliefs. If it's about sports, there's four sticky threads at the top of the OT that probably covers it. And whatever you do, don't start a thread with a link with a comment that says, "discuss." If you have nothing to say about the topic, don't post it.

9. Correct people's grammar/spelling at your own risk. Not only did you probably make a similar typo on the exact same page, but we have many foreign and non-native English speakers here on GAF, so you're probably just making an ass out of yourself.

10. Last piece of advice: Treat people like they're in the same room with you. If you wouldn't say it to somebody's face, it's a 50/50 chance that you're saying something offensive and bannable. Other than that, it's just a good policy for approaching internet discussion and culture.

Other things to remember:
Read the FAQs; don't ask for tags; make sure your avatar is the right size and completely work safe; never post NSFW stuff; never talk about, ask about, or refer to piracy; no console-wars bullshit; don't be a bigot (racist, sexist, classist, et al); rants are fun but dangerous and often embarassing; be nice and don't be stupid.

Note from the author:
It's taken some years and several bans to learn all of these unwritten rules, and there's probably some that still need to be added. It's possible that one could follow this and still be banned, but this should be a handy guide that will assist you in your junior journey.

-PL

originally posted in Ban-Age: Unwritten rules of NeoGAF:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=381926

If you are tripping balls, make sure you put a little more effort into your OP to get some discussion going so Mod Bot doesnt trip out and close the thread and make you feel bad and kill your high and potentially give you a bad trip.

besada

Banned
Stop and think about the best way to convey your idea, and if that best way really involves sarcasm. Sarcasm is cheap and easy, doesn't make you look particularly clever, and on a forum causes all sorts of problems. Nothing wrong with the occasional quip, but if sarcasm is your primary mode of communication, you're doing neither yourself, nor the rest of us any favors.

Don't pre shit up threads. Just because you're sure someone is going to come in and say something stupid doesn't mean you need to come in and say it sarcastically first. This is irritating as shit, and shit posting, so you court a ban when you do it.

Have something to say. That seems so obvious, but about thirty percent of all posts in a thread are basically content free. If you don't have anything to say that hasn't already been said a dozen times, just don't post. It's okay not to post sometimes.

Don't try to manage threads or other posters. PM a mod if someone is being an asshole or a thread is going off the rails.

Which leads me to: Don't imagine that we're seeing every thread. We aren't. There aren't enough of us, and some threads we just don't want to go in, because we know they'll be horrible. Don't post in a thread wondering why no mods are doing anything. PM us instead, because we're probably unaware of whatever it is driving you crazy.

Don't complain about the existence of threads. If you don't think something is thread worthy, don't post in it. If people agree, that thread falls right off the front page and into oblivion. Posting "This is a dumb thread," not only bumps the thread to the top of the first page, we will absolutely ban you for it if we see it. Same thing with "Cool story, bro", "Who cares", "whatever", etc. If you're there to dismiss the conversation, you done already fucked up.

Have fun, try not to be jerks to each other, and try to say something interesting and real. That's basically what we're looking for.

And, like speeding, just because you don't get caught, doesn't mean it's not illegal. Just means we didn't catch you yet. And if you get popped, but some other guy doesn't, it doesn't mean we hate you, it means we didn't see the other guy. You'll be much happier if you don't go out of your way to impute the worst possible motive to everyone.

PantherLotus said:
10. Last piece of advice: Treat people like they're in the same room with you. If you wouldn't say it to somebody's face, it's a 50/50 chance that you're saying something offensive and bannable. Other than that, it's just a good policy for approaching internet discussion and culture.
This is good advice.

Seda

I'm not sure if this has been said already, I skimmed the thread but didn't see it. This seems obvious but I think it's worth saying anyway.

If you want to link to a particular post within a thread (not a direct post link), click the post number to get to a direct post link, and then click the thread title on the upper right of that page. It'll open the thread, starting at that post.

Way more useful than linking to a page which will behave differently for 50ppp and 100ppp users.

Numb

I'm not sure if this has been said already, I skimmed the thread but didn't see it. This seems obvious but I think it's worth saying anyway.

If you want to link to a particular post within a thread (not a direct post link), click the post number to get to a direct post link, and then click the thread title on the upper right of that page. It'll open the thread, starting at that post.

Way more useful than linking to a page which will behave differently for 50ppp and 100ppp users.
Indeed
Took me a long time to figure this out
Realised after someone posted a link of one

Seda

Here's a question... The 'Your Posts' section only goes back 1,500 pages. How do people find their posts that are older than that?

Like if I want to know what I was predicting the Switch to be or whatnot, do I just need to do a google site search with my username and 'Nintendo nx' involved or whatnot? I'm terrible at searching online.

You can use advanced search.

Search >> Advanced Search >> Enter your username and whatever keyword you want >> make sure "Find posts by user" and "Exact name" and "Search entire posts" are set. Show Results as posts.

Any search is limited to 1500 results, if you need to narrow it down from there without using a better keyword, you can use the "Find Posts from" and "Sort Results by" and "Search in Forum(s)" to help.

Aces&Eights

Would be nice if "Mobile Warning" was mandatory when creating a heavy .gif OT . Most do it but I've browsed a couple threads at work on my phone only to have it catch fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom