• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, about the Wii U 50hz VC...

GlamFM

Banned
It is utterly baffling, and the reason why I won't be buying any VC games for affected systems on the Wii U (same was the case for the Wii), maybe with a few exceptions. Truly mindblowing that this still happens in the year 2013.

What he said

Ein Bear

I feel like this is alot of you being overly sensitive nerds complaining about notning
Take a breather, walk outside from your basements for 10 minutes then come back and realise that this isn't the end of the world. Nintendo is giving you balloon fight for free guys.

You've got to be kidding.

Eric C

This also extends to import PS1 games bought on European PSN stores as well. At least with PSN you can actually buy off the other regions stores...though if the game isn't out on those stores...

Victor Ireland worked with SCEE to fix that. So at least with imports they all can support 60hz.

We spent a LOT of time working with SCEE to fix the emulation problem of 50/60hz, since it should not affect the game refresh when they're displayed on modern tvs with progressive scan. It was a communication issue between SCEE and SCEI when these were emulated. After a lot of back and forth, they seem to be on the same page and Tombi/Alundra should be fixed already for Europe. Other Europeans have reported they're running properly now.

Confirmation of Arc I/II/III by a European would be nice. If it's NOT right yet, we can press on that until it's fixed, too. Since we pioneered it, this fix is open to ALL publishers who care enough to push for it.

netBuff

I feel like this is alot of you being overly sensitive nerds complaining about notning
Take a breather, walk outside from your basements for 10 minutes then come back and realise that this isn't the end of the world. Nintendo is giving you balloon fight for free guys.

Balloon Fight isn't free, it costs money - 30 Cents.

The people interested in retro games are, by definition, "nerds" - and we expect a good experience for our money. I'd rather load up bsnes if Nintendo doesn't provide proper 60Hz ROMs.

kitsuneyo

My guess, and it's just a guess because I'm not that technical, is it's because people still need to be able to play their Wii U through 50Hz PAL TVs. And it's easier for Nintendo just to give Europe the PAL version, instead of creating an option. Not a good reason, but maybe the reason.

I'm surprised people on miiverse even know this let alone notice it.

There are knowledgeable people on Miiverse!

It will be down to localisations. Nintendo need to support EFIGS for PAL games and NTSC versions will only have English in them. It would be lots of work to change this. They could offer an "English only 60hz version", but they don't.

EFIGS
English
French
Italian
German
Spanish

..for those that wondered :)

Seriously, if people want this changed we need to vocal to Nintendo about it.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
See this is why I bought a US console. There is no reason not to give us NTSC versions.

PetrCobra

I don't know where OP got his "drastic difference in gameplay speed and music" in "almost every console from the NES to the Dreamcast". I remember such a thing from one game (there were possibly others but they were rare). The game was the first Sonic the Hedgehog for Mega Drive, where the lazy PAL port features slowed down music. Sonic 2 and all later games in the series were fine though.

Anyone with enough knowledge care to clear this up?

I think there should be a Project Rainfall -style campaign to
let Nintendo know that this is a major issue. I for one didn't
buy a single unoptimized VC game for the Wii, and won't for Wii U
either. (alright, I may have made an exception with PSIV, but still).

Seriously, shitty PAL conversions should have brutally died in a fire
back in the 90s.

Nintendo obviously knows it's an issue. Otherwise they wouldn't
have bothered to (partially, at least) optimise SNES games. We just need
to let them know that it's an issue that could cost them a
significant number of potential sales.

Every PAL release on native hardware prior to the DC making an effort to address things ran 17.5% slower and had borders.

This isn't a big secret thing.

PAL native resolution is 576 not 480, and at 25fps not 30fps.

EDIT:
This doesn't just affect games btw, a lot of TV shows and movies dropped frames for PAL release, or had different running times.

netBuff

This doesn't just affect games btw, a lot of TV shows and movies dropped frames for PAL release, or had different running times.

Movies are affected by NTSC pulldown as well, which produces noticable judder. Neither format is optimal in their case. But retro games are heavily affected by bad PAL porting efforts.

One point of praise. That balloon fight video doesn't have borders. I guess scaling down the image on the GamePad would be ugly.

It's not about Balloon Fight? It's about the entire Virtual Console service. I guess we'll see how F-Zero is next month.
It requires more knowledge of F-Zero. You see the SNES sound processor was separate to the main CPU so the music played back at the same speed.

The Mega Drive didn't have the same fate. Though at least the pitch didn't increase when you speeded up music (like happens on the NES) but the speedup record was patchy (e.g. Phantasy Star II plays music fullspeed yet Sonic 1 released over a year later plays at 5/6 speed, tragically needing the speedboots to play at the correct speed).

Victor Ireland worked with SCEE to fix that. So at least with imports they all can support 60hz.
Thats good to hear.

My guess, and it's just a guess because I'm not that technical, is it's because people still need to be able to play their Wii U through 50Hz PAL TVs. And it's easier for Nintendo just to give Europe the PAL version, instead of creating an option. Not a good reason, but maybe the reason.
But thing is does the Wii U come with a composite cable? (I thought it was only a HDMI cable in the box) Is it even possible to get a new composite cable outside of buying direct off NOE (though I'd image is costs as much as RGB Scart or component so not work it).

It will be down to localisations. Nintendo need to support EFIGS for PAL games and NTSC versions will only have English in them. It would be lots of work to change this.
Its also some games being different in Europe. Contra > Probotector. River City Ransom > Street Gangs. Ninja Gaiden > Shadow warriors. Though in both those cases I'd image they run perfect in 60Hz.

Though for Ninja Gaiden they decided to release the US version (and btw, EU Wii VC lacks both Ninja Gaiden 2 and Shadow Warriors II: The Dark Sword of Chaos)

EDIT:
Movies tend to be 24 FPS and generally they are just played at 25 FPS so slightly faster...shortening their runtime.

Kikujiro

Take a breath, walk outside from your basements for 10 minutes then come back and realise that nobody is attacking your beloved corporation.

This problem is something PAL gamers have always lamented, from SNES/MegaDrive to PS1/PS2 game and it's a major issue.

Right, I've emailed Eurogamer to see if they could ask Nintendo directly about why they have chosen not to offer NTSC versions as an option etc. A large website like that certainly has more pull than one of us emailing Nintendo (which I've also done).

Neff

I think there should be a Project Rainfall -style campaign to
let Nintendo know that this is a major issue. I for one didn't
buy a single unoptimized VC game for the Wii, and won't for Wii U
either. (alright, I may have made an exception with PSIV, but still).

Seriously, shitty PAL conversions should have brutally died in a fire
back in the 90s.

Nintendo obviously knows it's an issue. Otherwise they wouldn't
have bothered to (partially, at least) optimise SNES games. We just need
to let them know that it's an issue that could cost them a
significant number of potential sales.

The issue gets no public attention, understanding or sympathy, and didn't even at its '90s peak. The European gamer's voice isn't very loud, and even then it's not exactly a mainstream problem. It's definitely something that anyone who is affected by it and feels dissatisfied by it needs to get behind. While it is a niche concern, it's one that will mostly irritate enthusiasts, and they're the ones Nintendo stands to make the most money from with classic re-releases.

We really shouldn't have to point out to them that they aren't selling us the product we want to buy, despite them having exactly the product we do want.

Spreading the word is definitely the right thing to do.

Neff

Were those games never originally release in Europe? If so then it's because Nintendo has no other option in those cases, besides creating a new 50Hz version which takes too much effort.

Interestingly in those cases they were games never released in Europe in the first place (yes that's right, we never had official PAL SNES releases of FFVI or Chrono Trigger), they just copied the games from the US store.

I don't see why they can't do that with other NTSC games.

nofi

Right, I've emailed Eurogamer to see if they could ask Nintendo directly about why they have chosen not to offer NTSC versions as an option etc. A large website like that certainly has more pull than one of us emailing Nintendo (which I've also done).

I've just emailed Nintendo too. Will post something if they respond.

Were those games never originally release in Europe? If so then it's because Nintendo has no other option in those cases, besides creating a new 50Hz version which takes too much effort.

Yeah, but if the issue was them not running on 50Hz TVs they would have carried on not selling them.

Rich!

One other major negative with 50hz games is the muted colours.

Playing Mario 64 in 60hz for the first time with no borders, a better framerate and brilliant vibrant colours was an absolute awe-inspiring moment.

Jazzem

I can't tell you how annoyed I am at this. Absolutely disgusting that this is still an issue so many years later.

Hopefully we can be heard on this, I've emailed Nintendo about it. Would be great if a site like eurogamer picked up on it.

I'm hoping that vocal complaints about this first trial game will cause Nintendo to come up with a solution.

They changed Wii VC to add component cable support really early on, so I'm hopeful.

Given that Nintendo talked about these initial games being a "Virtual Console Trial", it would not surprise me if this is exactly the kind of thing which will get fixed before the final proper releases. Kind of like how the initial 3DS Ambassador titles lacked certain features, and have been updated over time as those games have been released for sale to the public. Now I don't know if it was necessarily something they'd planned to change before now, but with the Miiverse clearly showing there's a strong demand for it from the players who are going to be early adopters of the Virtual Console (and effectively the Ambassadors encouraging others to try these games), this should spur them into action. It's one thing for them to ignore feedback being posted on random internet forums (which, no matter how large, aren't read by the majority of gamers who may be purchasing these things), but it's a whole different story when this feedback is coming to them through their own discussion platform.

Magnus

Almost all PAL games pre-2005 ran 17% slower than their NTSC counterparts? Am I reading this right?

Holy shit. What in the world. How...what...?

I knew the screen resize/border thing was an issue, but I'd never read about widespread speed issues in almost all games. What a hellish situation you've all been putting up with if so. Man. This last gen must have been a revelation to European gamers, lol.

Satchel

Banned
Now that I run all my SD/Retro consoles on a widescreen CRT, I love the PAL 50hz mode.

Sharper picture, and the full viewing mode doesn't stretch the image (noticeably) so I'm now playing all my old games in widescreen!

so looong suckers

Neff

Almost all PAL games pre-2005 ran 17% slower than their NTSC counterparts? Am I reading this right?

I knew the screen resize/border thing was an issue, but I'd never read about widespread speed issues in almost all games. What a hellish situation you've all been putting up with if so. Man. This last gen must have been a revelation to European gamers, lol.

Most people who knew about the difference imported. Once you've had it pointed out to you, and once you appreciate that you're not playing games the way they were created, you can never go back.

Now that I run all my SD/Retro consoles on a widescreen CRT, I love the PAL 50hz mode.

Sharper picture, and the full viewing mode doesn't stretch the image (noticeably) so I'm now playing all my old games in widescreen!

so looong suckers

jocondek.jpg

Arren

If you agree that this is a very crippling issue (which it is, for the many reasons already stated) and you happen to wander on Miiverse, please look for user Meggie's latest post in the Balloon Flight group.

He's trying to gather as many 'yeah' and comments as possible, in order to make it noticeable by Nintendo and spread awareness on the matter directly on the Miiverse boards.

dock

Hey look, there's me on the Miiverse image (third from top on the left).

Yeah, the Wii U using 50hz emulation is such a huge letdown. :(
The Wii itself was something of a mess between some games running at 60hz, and other weird combinations of stretching.

For a 'famicom' celebration and the launch of the service (albeit 'beta') it's really disappointing to see such a slow version of Balloon Fight.

Balloon Fight on the 3DS runs at full speed in Europe, right?

zoukka

2/10

Arren

Balloon Fight on the 3DS runs at full speed in Europe, right?

Yep, full speed and original pitch for the music! That's what makes it all the more disorienting, we already had an example of things going in the correct direction.

Number45

This also extends to import PS1 games bought on European PSN stores as well.
This isn't actually true for all of them. See this post by one of team responsible for localising Alundra.

We spent a LOT of time working with SCEE to fix the emulation problem of 50/60hz, since it should not affect the game refresh when they're displayed on modern tvs with progressive scan. It was a communication issue between SCEE and SCEI when these were emulated. After a lot of back and forth, they seem to be on the same page and Tombi/Alundra should be fixed already for Europe. Other Europeans have reported they're running properly now.

Confirmation of Arc I/II/III by a European would be nice. If it's NOT right yet, we can press on that until it's fixed, too. Since we pioneered it, this fix is open to ALL publishers who care enough to push for it.

EDIT: I see this has already been covered. :)

Number45

Well, if you don't see them side by side or haven't played the NTSC version you're blissfully ignorant. I only knew about it because Super Play would bring it up. Constantly. :p

mclem

I don't know where OP got his "drastic difference in gameplay speed and music" in "almost every console from the NES to the Dreamcast". I remember such a thing from one game (there were possibly others but they were rare). The game was the first Sonic the Hedgehog for Mega Drive, where the lazy PAL port features slowed down music. Sonic 2 and all later games in the series were fine though.

Depends on the games. It's quite possible to produce a perfectly acceptable speed-corrected 50Hz PAL port.

In simple terms, assuming a perfect framerate:

PAL at 50FPS = Each frame represents 20ms of time
NTSC at 60FPS = Each frame represents 16.6ms of time

The problems come about when they don't *account* for that change in the conversion, so the PAL version takes 20ms for 16.6ms of time to elapse.

It's quite possible to instead adjust the code on the assumption that 20ms elapses each frame rather then 16.6ms. That said, though, it's worth adding a mention that that's much easier in polygon-based games (where interpolating to find what it looks like in the interim is trivial) rather than in sprite-based games (where you have to choose one sprite frame or another to display, you can't get the interim one)

Ikaruga on the Gamecube is a good example of a game with heavy sprite usage with a 'good' 50Hz conversion but still notable flaws; that simply skips every sixth frame of each sprite. If you're looking for it it *is* noticeable, so it's not completely perfect, but it is acceptable and plays at a decent rate as a result.

In this day and age, though, offering both choices strikes me as completely acceptable. Nintendo aren't averse to offering NTSC 60Hz content for download as long as they pile in plenty of warnings, but they do seem a little reluctant to do that for PAL-released VC titles. I wonder if they're simply averse to (effectively) giving you two copies of the game?

mclem

The Mega Drive didn't have the same fate. Though at least the pitch didn't increase when you speeded up music (like happens on the NES) but the speedup record was patchy (e.g. Phantasy Star II plays music fullspeed yet Sonic 1 released over a year later plays at 5/6 speed, tragically needing the speedboots to play at the correct speed).

On the bright side, it's not *too* hard to build a 50/60Hz toggle switch for a Mega Drive; I've done it myself, and I'm terrible with a soldering iron.

Top Bottom