• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Yoshi title announced for Wii U! (Looks like Yoshi: Epic Yarn)

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
This. game. looks. GLORIOUS.

If nothing else, this Nintendo Direct was just amazing for artstyles alone. This, X, and WWHD (for me, personally -- I get that not everyone likes it), is just too much T_T

I'm literally cruising the vistas.
Ehh. Imagine an updated, HD successor using the Yoshi's Island art style. That would be vastly more appealing to me. The art style they're using isn't bad, but the fact that some of it is ripped straight from Kirby's Epic Yarn, and the fact that they have an amazing (ane original!) aesthetic to work from in the original Yoshi's Island makes their decision more than a little disappointing to me.

Alex

I love the visuals, I just want it to be a more substantial game. Kirby was really, really underwhelming, even for a Kirby game it was...soft...hah! I'm actually starting to get a little spent on 2D platformers, the resurgance was great and all but it's wearing on me now. I was kinda hopin' this would be 3D although I never expected it.

I think the only 2D platformer I'd really get truly excited for now would be another Klonoa game along the lines of Lunatea's Veil.

Ehh. Imagine an updated, HD successor using the Yoshi's Island art style. That would be vastly more appealing to me. The art style they're using isn't bad, but the fact that some of it is ripped straight from Kirby's Epic Yarn, and the fact that they have an amazing (ane original!) aesthetic to work from in the original Yoshi's Island makes their decision more than a little disappointing to me.

I don't think any bodies are ready for an HD successor to YI.

I think it fits Yoshi as a character better than anyone else in Nintendo's stable. And confession: I dug Epic Yarn's artstyle a lot so I don't mind the similarities/straight rips. Granted, would be better if they were just placeholder for the time being.

Hell, I'm just happy there are vibrant games out there still. Muddled/dark colours wear thin after a while.

I love the visuals, I just want it to be a more substantial game. Kirby was really, really underwhelming, even for a Kirby game it was...soft...hah! I'm actually starting to get a little spent on 2D platformers, the resurgance was great and all but it's wearing on me now. I was kinda hopin' this would be 3D although I never expected it.

I think the only 2D platformer I'd really get truly excited for now would be another Klonoa game along the lines of Lunatea's Veil.
Have you tried the Rayman Legends demo?

Alex

I think it fits Yoshi as a character better than anyone else in Nintendo's stable. And confession: I dug Epic Yarn's artstyle a lot so I don't mind the similarities/straight rips. Granted, would be better if they were just placeholder for the time being.

Hell, I'm just happy there are vibrant games out there still. Muddled/dark colours wear thin after a while.

There have never been any shortage of vibrant games on any platform, where you people get this nonsense from is beyond me. You'd swear the only thing ever released each year was one Call of Duty game and one Battlefield game by some of the weird posts I've seen today!

Have you tried the Rayman Legends demo?

Oh yes, I liked it quite a bit too, good demo. Loved origins, even Jungle Run was fairly great. Legends won't be a day one for me, but I will totally get it when I have more time/money freed up, 3DS has also chosen a poor time to get particularly awesome. I probably wouldn't have even let Ni No Kuni ship if it weren't the pre-order discount and people going gaga over it.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah, I loved Epic Yarn's art style! I just don't want to see it transfered over to Yoshi when the Yoshi's Island aesthetic (and it's fans) is crying out for a revisit.

DJMicLuv

Looks good. Kirby's Epic Yarn was easy but I had a very enjoyable time playing through it. It was full of really unique touches and a lot of diverse play styles. Visually it was creative and beautiful to look at as well so I can't really find a bad word to say about the game apart from it's ease which didn't really bother me too much as I don't always play games for a challenge, sometimes it's just for the sort of charming fun that Epic Yarn delivered.

I also loved Yoshi's Story. It was very different to Yoshi's Island but I think it stood up as a game on it's own merit and had great replayability. I enjoyed it in much the same way I enjoyed Epic Yarn though it was more of a challenge, particularly melon collecting.

I don't have a Wii yet but this, Rayman Legends and Wonderful 101 might get me to buy one.

DJMicLuv

Yeah, I loved Epic Yarn's art style! I just don't want to see it transfered over to Yoshi when the Yoshi's Island aesthetic (and it's fans) is crying out for a revisit.

You got Yoshi's Island on DS though, which was the same art and play style, and that wasn't particularly well received as far as I can remember.

guek

Banned
I almost forgot about this game. I skipped out on epic yarn but I'm going to try to avoid that same mistake this time. However, I hope this game isn't a cakewalk like kirby reportedly was

Emitan

Please play like Yoshi's Island.

My biggest complaint with Epic Yarn is that it feels like another game with Kirby slapped on. Well that is actually what it is, and it shows.

I want the flutter jump, I want to throw eggs. Give me this and I'm on board.

@MUWANdo

Banned
You got Yoshi's Island on DS though, which was the same art and play style, and that wasn't particularly well received as far as I can remember.

The art style isn't really the same--the new graphics are too clean and they look especially bad against all the original sprites they "borrowed" from the original game.

watershed

Banned
I wonder if its gonna be a mix of Epic Yarn style and the more LBP like style. Maybe they are going to keep the story gimmick of being transported to a yarn world as its own series. Maybe Donkey Kong's Epic Yarn or Ice Climbers Epic Yarn is next!

Nintendo is finally getting smarter.
This and the other great IPS from the SNES (Super Famicom):
F-Zero
Super Mario World (alreay a classic game), and please NO WII MARIO.
Super Metroid
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars

Then maybe I will get a WII U

Nintendo is finally getting smarter.
This and the other great IPS from the SNES (Super Famicom):
F-Zero
Super Mario World (alreay a classic game), and please NO WII MARIO.
Super Metroid
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars

Then maybe I will get a WII U

I guess by "Wii Mario" you mean "New Super Mario Bros. Wii"?
Because Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 were fantastic.

2 games = milking to death

Nah... look at the Celda art style: great-looking, and they just couldn't help reusing it over and over again.

I like the look of this, just like I loved the look of Epic Yarn, but I would prefer they come up with a new idea instead. I don't want to see this "yarn" look replicated across other IPs. That's lazy.

Fox Mulder

Please play like Yoshi's Island.

My biggest complaint with Epic Yarn is that it feels like another game with Kirby slapped on. Well that is actually what it is, and it shows.

I want the flutter jump, I want to throw eggs. Give me this and I'm on board.

I never got to play yoshi's island, but figured nintendo would release it on the VC someday. I guess they never got around to it, and the cart is around $25 on ebay.

I wonder if its gonna be a mix of Epic Yarn style and the more LBP like style. Maybe they are going to keep the story gimmick of being transported to a yarn world as its own series. Maybe Donkey Kong's Epic Yarn or Ice Climbers Epic Yarn is next!

I don't think I'd mind if Epic Yarn became it's own little meta-franchise. Have a reappearance from Yin-Yan, Prince Fluff, the hotel...
Then apply the Epic Yarn mechanics (collection-based, no-death) to different old-school Nintendo franchises.

Mista Koo

Epic Yarn was supposed to be a Yoshi game. But making Epic Yarn 2 a Yoshi game doesn't work at all.

I liked the other parts, but that one left a bad taste in my mouth.

Piers

Not to discount Tezuka at all, but he was supervisor on Yoshi's Island DS just like he is here.
Yoshi's Island DS is probably one of the best examples of a game developed with Nintendo sensibility (alright, directly ripping it off) but without the polish. Perhaps he's more involved this time though considering they thought it important enough to mention.

From what I've seen of Iwata Asks, his supervising role in most games basically amounts to trying the game and complaining it's too hard.

I have absolutely no doubt that the main game in this will be boring easiness for ages 1-6. Just hoping the real challenges aren't relegated to some stupid 100%/Eat only this/Don't get hurt criterea. Actual difficult stages would be nice like in Yoshi's Island. (Although again, not having to 100% prior stages would be a big improvement imo)

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Some of the later levels in YI:DS could have easily been in those 'crazy mario' custom levels on YouTube!

Indeed. The extra levels in YI:DS were really challenging. I enjoyed the game more than most I guess. I'd take YI:DS and Super Princess Peach over NSMB any day.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
48E4Ygt.jpg

^^
That effect is a high-res texture of knitted fabric, which is ok... but on Xbox 720 it would instead be rendered out of thousands of individual fibers, each with self-shadowing.

*sigh*

NotLiquid

Not digging the footage showing how it's basically Epic Yarn 2, but the screenshots give me hope. I'm loving the perspectives on the screenshots showing some weightier 3D modeled levels.

Part of me is mostly hoping it's a game that shifts in various art styles that way. Would be awesome going between Yoshi's Island and Epic Yarn styles among others. I guess I can dream.

.la1n

what little gameplay was shown looks far too sterile. The images give me hope they will go all out on the stages. Hopefully that gameplay was just from early code before the fleshed the level design out more.

Nah... look at the Celda art style: great-looking, and they just couldn't help reusing it over and over again.

I like the look of this, just like I loved the look of Epic Yarn, but I would prefer they come up with a new idea instead. I don't want to see this "yarn" look replicated across other IPs. That's lazy.

Now that they've changed to Yoshi, I feel the opposite and I'd love to see this become a bigger series. Give me my Metroidvania Yarn next.

The Boat

We're not talking about Zelda. Not to mention that there's nothing wrong with reusing an art style if it's good.in fact, dramatically changing the art style in a series with each iteration sounds like a bad idea. Now I'm talking about Zelda :p

Fox Mulder

Would buy

I only started the club Nintendo stuff since buying the WiiU, but I don't get how people have so many coins each year. I registered a WiiU deluxe, a wii I got my parents a few years go, and like 8 or 9 games. Still not platinum and that's almost $1k of stuff.

AniHawk

kirby: epic yarn started off as a new ip by good-feel, and nintendo thought it would be a good idea to turn it into a kirby game. so prince fluff, the original main character, became the second character.

going from what we can see, this is probably nintendo's way of doing a sequel to epic yarn without actually making it kirby: epic yarn 2. there has been sort of a kirby overload in the last three years.

BowieZ

Banned
48E4Ygt.jpg

^^
That effect is a high-res texture of knitted fabric, which is ok... but on Xbox 720 it would instead be rendered out of thousands of individual fibers, each with self-shadowing.

*sigh*
So? Maybe it'll be just as fun?

Oh and it's not gonna be on 720 ;)

bon

48E4Ygt.jpg

^^

*sigh*

And it would look exactly the same and cost way more to do...

zroid

Banned
Remember those listings at Best Buy and Future Shop for "Yoshi's Land" that were taken down?

Well... they're back :p

I've just realised that not only will this game likely have the continuation of Epic Yarn's soundtrack style but also Yoshi's Island Athletic might pop up in said style, i'll prepare my money for that alone.

BowieZ

Banned
I've just realised that not only will this game likely have the continuation of Epic Yarn's soundtrack style but also Yoshi's Island Athletic might pop up in said style, i'll prepare my money for that alone.
I don't think it's likely. The teaser we saw was likely just a way of saying Yoshi is evolving from the yarn style to the plush 2.5D style, due to the same developer.

Top Bottom