• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

10 days into January and only now I get on my laptop to change my avatar, joys of mobile internet amirite?

This is a post Xand will read and will feel sad that he can't reply to it.

As a result, this post will make Over angry and will end up with him being mean to me on Twitter :p

Played some Halo 3 customs earlier in the week with a few Gaffers and non-Gaffers and I must say what a weird experience it was. The BR was quite nice and I was surprising myself with the sniper but wow, the feedback from getting kills wasn't as satisfying as Reach's implementation. I like both though, I was just surprised at how rose tinted glasses can skew things. Assist medals popping up in-game is the single greatest decision to grace Halo: Reach.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I know CES is not a gaming convention but when you bring the Xbox up there and mention no games and just show off an interactive TV program you can just go fuck off. Shit made me sick.
Well put. Seriously.

10 days into January and only now I get on my laptop to change my avatar, joys of mobile internet amirite?
Is that... a mandolin?

Homeboyd

I'm hiding from the OT atm.. shit scares me sometimes..

Anyways, I'm guessing nothing good came (giggity) from the CES so far? (I know it's in the gaming forum.. just didnt want to go through 35 pages or watch the conf after some of your comments).

ElRenoRaven

I'm hiding from the OT atm.. shit scares me sometimes..

Anyways, I'm guessing nothing good came (giggity) from the CES so far? (I know it's in the gaming forum.. just didnt want to go through 35 pages or watch the conf after some of your comments).

Nothing but them braging about all the video apps coming to 360 and about how you can use your kinect to bing for shit. Then they brought out the big guns. Interactive Sesame Street TV using kinect to interact with the program. Oh and had a blurb for kinect coming to pc. Major nelson posted link to preorder on amazon. Seems it's 250 dollars if you want the PC version of kinect.

Homeboyd

Nothing but them braging about all the video apps coming to 360 and about how you can use your kinect to bing for shit. Then they brought out the big guns. Interactive Sesame Street TV using kinect to interact with the program. Oh and had a blurb for kinect coming to pc. Major nelson posted link to preorder on amazon. Seems it's 250 dollars if you want the PC version of kinect.
wow.

Aww, not yours? I was hoping you could cover some of Duncan's Halo songs. :-D

I'd actually love to record some funny stuff like that. I have a keyboard and some other bits and bobs but my recording equipment (or lack thereof) means I'd have to resort to my terrible webcam :/ We'll see, in time.

Tawpgun

And you promised more but haven't delivered!

U reach?

Funny story.

No idea where my cap card is.

Also, I don't think I'll be able to top that one. I have an episode 2 that you should find through that video. But it was done sort of sloppy and put together really fast. But I'm open to new ideas I can pawn off as my own.

might give you credit in the credits.

vhfive

Funny story.

No idea where my cap card is.

Also, I don't think I'll be able to top that one. I have an episode 2 that you should find through that video. But it was done sort of sloppy and put together really fast. But I'm open to new ideas I can pawn off as my own.

might give you credit in the credits.

that was pretty funny (using this as an excuse to post a ot story)

I got pulled over in your home town. I had stopped drinking 2 hours ago and I knew I was sober but it was still scary as fuck. The cop made me get out of the car and do a bunch of tests (walk the line, follow the pen with your eyes ect...) Never been so scared in my life 0_0

Tawpgun

that was pretty funny (using this as an excuse to post a ot story)

I got pulled over in your home town. I had stopped drinking 2 hours ago and I knew I was sober but it was still scary as fuck. The cop made me get out of the car and do a bunch of tests (walk the line, follow the pen with your eyes ect...) Never been so scared in my life 0_0

Wilton cops are hit or miss. But most likely miss. Being a small town they don't get much action. So they'll reach to do anything.

My friend was pulled over because he passed another car illegally or something. Never knew something like that existed.

(P.S. if you drive up and down Route 7 you've passed my house.)

vhfive

Wilton cops are hit or miss. But most likely miss. Being a small town they don't get much action. So they'll reach to do anything.

My friend was pulled over because he passed another car illegally or something. Never knew something like that existed.

(P.S. if you drive up and down Route 7 you've passed my house.)

haha my friend's house is right next to the high school

This is a post Xand will read and will feel sad that he can't reply to it.

As a result, this post will make Over angry and will end up with him being mean to me on Twitter :p

Played some Halo 3 customs earlier in the week with a few Gaffers and non-Gaffers and I must say what a weird experience it was. The BR was quite nice and I was surprising myself with the sniper but wow, the feedback from getting kills wasn't as satisfying as Reach's implementation. I like both though, I was just surprised at how rose tinted glasses can skew things. Assist medals popping up in-game is the single greatest decision to grace Halo: Reach.

Do you mean feedback in terms of medals? If so I agree fully, it was bizzare going back to 3 and not seeing headshot medals pop up for BR kills. I mean before Reach I was content without that, but it is nice to have. Assist medals are awesome aswell but in Halo 3 they would have been popping up all the time. Might have even been annoying. With Reach I dare to say the assist system is broken and so finally getting them feels good.

The actual gameplay feedback from kills felt so much better in H3, Sniping someone felt more satisfying, the BR had a good kick to it, and in general the preset death animations in Reach just arent as fun as the ridiculous acrobatics you can make a H3 spartan do.

I only played that one Forge game with you though so I think we may be thinking of different things!

Havok

The actual gameplay feedback from kills felt so much better in H3, Sniping someone felt more satisfying, the BR had a good kick to it, and in general the preset death animations in Reach just arent as fun as the ridiculous acrobatics you can make a H3 spartan do.
The Halo 3 BR has about as much kick as a square of wet toilet paper. Doubly so when compared to the beefy sound that the DMR has with a nice setup.

Reach has, or had, an incredible feedback system that gave the player a ton of information. The shield pop from the fourth shot or first melee (regardless of whether that delimiter was a particularly good idea), as well as the shield strength being displayed by its brightness around the player model were all brilliant. To be fair, the medal popups do play a big role in this - its the reason I play campaign with Grunt Birthday Party enabled, to get more feedback for quick kills so I know that a followup shot isn't needed. I don't think that canned death animations show up as much as you seem to think - in general the bodies will ragdoll just as much as they did in 3. I would still argue that Reach has better feedback than 3 did because it needed to. Vehicle and player health needed to be better displayed than they had previously because they were more fragile than ever. Its one of the areas that I think Reach excelled at, and it is kind of a shame that it took such a hit with the TU (although I gladly traded it away for a more consistent experience than what either 3 or vanilla Reach had).

The Halo 3 BR has about as much kick as a square of wet toilet paper. Doubly so when compared to the beefy sound that the DMR has with a nice setup.

Reach has, or had, an incredible feedback system that gave the player a ton of information. The shield pop from the fourth shot or first melee (regardless of whether that delimiter was a particularly good idea), as well as the shield strength being displayed by its brightness around the player model were all brilliant. To be fair, the medal popups do play a big role in this - its the reason I play campaign with Grunt Birthday Party enabled, to get more feedback for quick kills so I know that a followup shot isn't needed. I don't think that canned death animations show up as much as you seem to think - in general the bodies will ragdoll just as much as they did in 3. I would still argue that Reach has better feedback than 3 did because it needed to. Vehicle and player health needed to be better displayed than they had previously because they were more fragile than ever. Its one of the areas that I think Reach excelled at, and it is kind of a shame that it took such a hit with the TU (although I gladly traded it away for a more consistent experience than what either 3 or vanilla Reach had).

As far as the BR goes, cant put my finger on why but I find it more satisfying to use than the DMR, even the no bloom DMR doesnt resonate well with me. Just doesnt feel as good to me man.

I dont like the whole shield pop before headshot thing, but H3 did do the Spartan lighting up thing. The LEDS over the spartan armour glowed to indicate different levels of shields. It was subtle but worked. Reach made it a lot more obvious, but H3's approach worked very well.

The canned death animations are what initially kick in when you headshot someone who is jumping for example, it switches to ragdoll after a collision, but im pretty sick of the flailing arms!

I agree 100% about the Grunt Bday party!

Tawpgun

As far as the BR goes, cant put my finger on why but I find it more satisfying to use than the DMR, even the no bloom DMR doesnt resonate well with me. Just doesnt feel as good to me man.

I dont like the whole shield pop before headshot thing, but H3 did do the Spartan lighting up thing. The LEDS over the spartan armour glowed to indicate different levels of shields. It was subtle but worked. Reach made it a lot more obvious, but H3's approach worked very well.

The canned death animations are what initially kick in when you headshot someone who is jumping for example, it switches to ragdoll after a collision, but im pretty sick of the flailing arms!

I agree 100% about the Grunt Bday party!

The BR is just more fun to shoot, but its also more forgiving. DMR is a much more skilled weapon. But I also prefer the BR for the fun of it.

Has this been mentioned? This man has some skill

http://www.artemstudios.com/2010/gallery/HaloReach.htm

Also my new computer is set up with:

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost)
8gb DDR3 Ram
2x EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 2GB GDDR5
And a gigabyte motherboard that I can remember the model number of, but the point being work is about to go down and my computer is going to be pushed.

Frankie, Ellis and Jessica need to take the stage 10 mins into microsofts E3 event and just tell everyone to shut up and that this is now a halo event.

Then proceed to drop insane amount of details on H4 campaign, matchmaking, customs, firefight, forge, theatre, sandbox just everything. 4 vidocs + 1 multiplayer beta release on that day aswell

Collectors edition news aswell

The BR is just more fun to shoot, but its also more forgiving. DMR is a much more skilled weapon. But I also prefer the BR for the fun of it.

The lack of movement in Reach means that its pretty hard to miss DMR shots. :p The BR could be frustratingly inconsistant and I think I would have prefered the DMR over it, if it was a 4 shot kill with the BR's rate of fire. Thats what I think felt better to me, the rythm of shots. The DMR is a more consistant weapon, but the lack of RoF hurts it in my eyes.

For some reason I find burst fire is something that 'feels' nicer, but a single shot weapon could be better for gameplay. Im conflicted as to which I actually prefer. I just hope whichever weapon is the main precision weapon H4 has a RoF rather than tries to use another mechanic like bloom.

theyes_block.jpg

Mother of all that is holy!

Top Bottom