• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 18 EASHL (PS4) Famous Yet Nameless

13thStep

Sorry for being so tentative and indecisive tonight. Not sure what my issue was. Could be just me, but everything just seems faster this year and I'm getting caught overthinking what to do. I need to simplify my game more, go back to setting up for the one timer or the tap in (whichever side I'm on).

I also want to point out we lost every game I scored a goal in tonight...whatever that means lol.

Sorry for being so tentative and indecisive tonight. Not sure what my issue was. Could be just me, but everything just seems faster this year and I'm getting caught overthinking what to do. I need to simplify my game more, go back to setting up for the one timer or the tap in (whichever side I'm on).

I also want to point out we lost every game I scored a goal in tonight...whatever that means lol.

No need to apologize or beat yourself up. There is a learning curve to figuring out how to deal with this years changes that you are still working thru. Pay attention to what our other forwards have done that has been successful and try to use their tactics.

Instead of rushing you need to try to be more composed when you have the puck and trust what you are seeing on the screen. If you get stuck on the wing its generally an easy decision. Is the D-man there below me and open? If so, pass it down to him otherwise send it up behind the net for the opposite winger or d-man.

Without the puck you need to be constantly moving trying to give the puck carrier a pass option. Usually like you said it should be trying to setup cross crease but you have to be clever with your movement by faking one way and moving in the opposite direction constantly as its easy for a mediocre defender to defend an obvious cross crease attempt, you have to make the defenders work and create the open passing lane yourself. If you are open across or behind the net no harm in calling it out on the mic.

When Stat and I are telling people to shoot or calling other things out its meant to help you make a good decision since without the puck we are seeing more than whoever has the puck as they sometimes get tunnel vision, dont take it as us not thinking you know how to play the game. At the same time you do have a lot to learn in this game to take your game to the next level so continue being open to suggestions or constructive criticism.

On defense it seems like you got on the same page with the wingers responsibilities. You primarily have the defenseman on your side but should help out on the wall and in your corner. The 2 dmen and the center are responsible for the crease and high slot and you should only help out there if there is an obvious open guy or on powerplays where everyone needs to tighten up and be in the middle.

Lastly, you need to try to have fun with this shit, that is ultimately the goal of why we are playing. You get frustrated at stuff that you need to learn to brush off your shoulders. This shit is not that serious. There is no need for you to be seething all game long over your mistakes no matter how big. Play to enjoy it and just try to learn from your mistakes to get better so it becomes more enjoyable.

Milly79

Damn, well said.

The game itself has been a pretty frustrating experience so far for me. Right now, I can't even connect the PS4 to the internet after tweaking some settings to try and resolve my lag. PSN is up, but it keeps getting hung on checking that.

Regardless I'm still seeing the same issues that we've had in the past which is not moving the puck well enough. Refusal to dump it in, constantly trying to force, people not moving, etc. And that goes for me as well and what I said in a previous post still stands: I do not understand how these guys move so well. I guess they're more aware in not running into everything in sight, but they also don't seem to have any issues in stopping/starting and are constantly moving without hindrance.

I'm gonna hit up Walmart later today and hopefully they have a long enough cable that isn't overly expensive.

13thStep

I never want to be the reason we lose a game, that is why I get so angry with myself. If we lose bc of someone else's mistakes, so be it. I just never want it to be bc of me. And when my mistake leads to a goal, I get super upset with myself. I know it's only a game, but I'm my own worst critic. When I fuck up, believe me I know. When I get called out on it, I've already crucified myself internally, hard.

I will do a better job of accepting critique. It's not really being mad at you or stat for doing so, it's hating myself for a mistake or bad decision. Hope that makes sense lol

Milly let me know if u need any help configuring your router or ps4 network settings. Id guess your problems are just spotty wifi and running a cable despite it being a shitty solution will solve most of it. Before you spend money u might wanna try setting your ps4 up close to you router and see if running a short wire makes any difference before going and buying a long cable (do u have one going into a pc or laptop?). The cables should be pretty cheap regardless. As for the game and movement the skating is different than in the past so you prob just need to get more used to it.

Mercy you just have to get past this anger at yourself and relax. Its hard for a winger to be the reason we lose a game. That pressure falls on the defenseman usually (which is why I play back there). If you fuck up u can say a quick "sorry", make a mental note for what not to do next time in that situation and just move on. The same shit I said to Stat before our first game of NHL 18 applies to you and everyone else. Winning and losing is not that damn important in this video game. The sooner you accept this the more fun you will start having and that usually results in you playing better. Take the weight off your shoulders man, its not worth it.

Thing is it's maybe 20 ft from the router.

Wifi isnt 100% reliable regardless of the range. You may have the strongest signal strength and still get intermittent packet loss or variable speeds

The NHL game has a network performance option in the menu during online games. If u can get connected you should jump into a dropin game and take a look and what the info in that menu option says.

Milly79

Yeah I have been. Lowest is 20ms and it'd spike over 100. I got a cable tho. Hopefully it'll do the trick.

Games today?

Stat!

Will the Giant and Dolphin fans be okay? Should we send help?

--

Just want to echo everything Viz said including the part about winning/losing. Do you know what our record was last year? I don't. Doesn't matter. We're a good team, we win more than we lose. Its just about getting better and having fun.

So Mercy, no worries. And Im never meant to criticize. Its more like "hey, sometimes we get lost in our own tunnel vision".

For me personally (dont want to speak for others), if you screw up, just say sorry and move on. I'd rather someone admit their own faults than it never be their fault. We all make mistakes. But dont worry about it, its just a game.

13thStep

Will the Giant and Dolphin fans be okay? Should we send help?

--

Just want to echo everything Viz said including the part about winning/losing. Do you know what our record was last year? I don't. Doesn't matter. We're a good team, we win more than we lose. Its just about getting better and having fun.

So Mercy, no worries. And Im never meant to criticize. Its more like "hey, sometimes we get lost in our own tunnel vision".

For me personally (dont want to speak for others), if you screw up, just say sorry and move on. I'd rather someone admit their own faults than it never be their fault. We all make mistakes. But dont worry about it, its just a game.

I'm at a loss for words about the Dolphins. Never did I think it would be this bad.

Yeah, I know. It's my own issue. I feel if I mess up and we lose b/c of me, I have basically wasted everyone else's time. I have to get over that myself. I will try to relax more, I promise. :)

Sorry for being snippy the other night. My frustration with myself was boiling over. Hey, at least I didn't flip the puck out over the boards for once lol

Delryk

Damn, well said.

The game itself has been a pretty frustrating experience so far for me. Right now, I can't even connect the PS4 to the internet after tweaking some settings to try and resolve my lag. PSN is up, but it keeps getting hung on checking that.

Regardless I'm still seeing the same issues that we've had in the past which is not moving the puck well enough. Refusal to dump it in, constantly trying to force, people not moving, etc. And that goes for me as well and what I said in a previous post still stands: I do not understand how these guys move so well. I guess they're more aware in not running into everything in sight, but they also don't seem to have any issues in stopping/starting and are constantly moving without hindrance.

I'm gonna hit up Walmart later today and hopefully they have a long enough cable that isn't overly expensive.

just get one from monoprice.com if they're too expensive at walmart

PS4 has the worse wireless technology.. wouldn't work correctly on the PS3, and still using cable over wireless on the PS4.. can't hit over 30mpbs wirelessly (though, that wouldn't give any lag in NHL18 anyway). But with cable i get my max speed no problem..

Milly79

I think my fav part of the night was when that guy scored that disallowed goal against us and Delly says "well he is autistic"
because of his in game name before someone reports my post

GGs

zsswimmer

Thing is it's maybe 20 ft from the router.
Ive been having the same problem and itll keep booting me from psn and logging back on and my routers probably 15 ft at the most from my ps4. But I live in a huge apartment/condo complex so there's so many sources of interferences that it makes sense.

May try to figure out a way to wire it to the router in a way to not just look janky as fuck with a wire from room to the next. Plus the cats would fuck it up. Gonna have to get crafty. I havent even gotten to play more than 3 or 4 drop ins I'd say, it's that bad

Ive been having the same problem and itll keep booting me from psn and logging back on and my routers probably 15 ft at the most from my ps4. But I live in a huge apartment/condo complex so there's so many sources of interferences that it makes sense.

May try to figure out a way to wire it to the router in a way to not just look janky as fuck with a wire from room to the next. Plus the cats would fuck it up. Gonna have to get crafty. I havent even gotten to play more than 3 or 4 drop ins I'd say, it's that bad
If running a wire is a no go 've read stuff that you can also try to find another channel on your router that is getting less interference. https://lifehacker.com/5580636/change-your-wi-fi-routers-broadcast-channel-for-a-stronger-connection

Felt so good to actually contribute tonight!

wwef_1222248883_th_65.jpg

Milly79

There are these boxes you can buy that plug straight into your outlets and provide an Ethernet port if you don't want a long wire. Check Amazon.

Stat!

Ive heard good things about Mad Max. Especially for $5.

But Im swamped between Destiny, NHL, Golf Story, and Stardew Valley Switch.

Might get back into Isaac and I want to get Cuphead. Too many games.

Anyone up for games tonight.

Top Bottom