• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the "R-slur" becoming more accepted in Trump's America?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mesoian

It is a word that I still have to actively try not to use. It slips out every once in a while.

I'm also from Boston so...you know...EVERYONE says it up here.

Using "retard" is some elementary school shit

And

Dylann Roof had a black friend too. There will always be people so desperate for acceptance that they let people shit on them so they can pretend to have friends.

I get it. I just don't agree with the need for it.

For the record, I feel you and I agree in some ways. I think there's an argument to be made that for being disabled to be a negative, it's that not being able to do certain things makes a person less, which I don't think is inherently true. For example, if someone is paralyzed and in a wheel chair, they undoubtedly have less ability than able bodied people and to assert that there is something "wrong" about being disabled is kind of backhanded to certain people in that regard.

If that makes sense.

It is a word that I still have to actively try not to use. It slips out every once in a while.

I'm also from Boston so...you know...EVERYONE says it up here.

Lol I can just imagine with the accent right? "Retahhhded". I have a close friend who lives in Everett, just outside Boston so I can imagine it pretty well.

I thought it evolved into "autistic" and "cuck".

What I'm interested in is if people observe a difference in severity between "retarded" and "autistic" in terms of being synonyms for stupid. To me the latter is many orders of magnitudes more severe no doubt in my mind. But I guess to the more socially evolved they may both be the same amount of deplorable. If you're in that group of people, do you still recognize that there are people like me who see a difference? Or are we just completely blind?

IDK, language is interesting.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
we've banged.

congration-you-done-it.jpg

Xe4

Banned
The dictionary also says ketchup is spicy. When's the last time you heard someone say "bad weather retarded our progress" or any variant of that usage?

I think retarded is a dumb insult that hurts the mental health community, but I'd like to point out that retard, as in impeding something is actually pretty commonly used, particularly in the sciences.

To give one example, any electrical engineer or physicist can explain what a retarded potential is and why it is important.

Words matter, but context matters too. Not every use of the word retard or retarded is meant as an insult, and one should not take it to be that way.

Pizza

Yes, it certainly is. It's very hurtful to neurodivergent people such as myself.

Idk why this is so hard to get.

It took me until my second special education course to permanently switch to person-first descriptions of people with disabilities and I sincerely don't understand how or why people use retard or autistic as slurs.

Like yeah those are people living with a disability but you're using it to negatively describe someone (likely neurotypical, maybe not)

"Dumbass" is generally the word they're reaching for. There are so many other things to call someone who is fucking up somehow.

I knew someone that started dropping "autistic" constantly. My sister has an LD and my best friends kid brother has autism (and was bullied constantly for being different)

I think people just mostly suck

I think retarded is a dumb insult that hurts the mental health community, but I'd like to point out that retard, as in impeding something is actually pretty commonly used, particularly in the sciences.

To give one example, any electrical engineer or physicist can explain what a retarded potential is and why it is important.

Words matter, but context matters too. Not every use of the word retard or retarded is meant as an insult, and one should not take it to be that way.
Yeah, I believe you. I find it hard to believe it's being used in the context that I'm discussing in this thread though--in fact I wouldn't have made a thread if that was the context I heard it the majority of the time

What I'm interested in is if people observe a difference in severity between "retarded" and "autistic" in terms of being synonyms for stupid. To me the latter is many orders of magnitudes more severe no doubt in my mind. But I guess to the more socially evolved they may both be the same amount of deplorable. If you're in that group of people, do you still recognize that there are people like me who see a difference? Or are we just completely blind?

IDK, language is interesting.

No I get it, as I mentioned earlier ITT, autistic is an actual specific, and an actual clinical term presently being used to describe people in modern day. It's a decidedly more intentional slur on the part of the people that picked it up.

Xe4

Banned
Yeah, I believe you. I find it hard to believe it's being used in the context that I'm discussing in this thread though--in fact I wouldn't have made a thread if that was the context I heard it the majority of the time

Well sure, the use as an insult far outstrips the use as a non-insult. You won't hear any disagreement from me on that point. I just wanted to point out that retarded as a word indeed has uses aside from an insult, far more than words such as fag (in America at least), gay, queer, bitch, etc.

It's definitely not a nice word but calling retarded "the R-word" when it's an actual term is pretty ridiculous. Getting offended by its use is one thing, but censoring it like it's an f-bomb is another.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I'm surprised at the amount of people who think saying "that's gay" is so juvenile/homophobic/offensive/whatever but are okay with "that's retarded"...I've seen plenty of it online. "Retarded" is much more accepted nowadays than I'd have thought it to be.

It's definitely not a nice word but calling retarded "the R-word" when it's an actual term is pretty ridiculous. Getting offended by its use is one thing, but censoring it like it's an f-bomb is another.
Self censorship is dumb. IMO, say the word or dont. If you say it with context it wont be offensive to anyone. Aside from that "Fuck" is a fun word.

Saying gay and retard were fine growing up. Then in hs there was this huge push to stop the word from being said and same for saying anything lame as gay or calling someone a faggot. I agree with this, it's just toxic to say. It makes it a negative to be gay.

This has also made a comeback. I've heard "fag" more times in the last 6-8 months than in the 10 years prior. Like you, calling someone a fag, or gay, or retarded was a common insult term back in the day as well as games like "smear the queer". But then we all (well some of us) hit middle school and realized that shit wasn't cool and was bullshit. It faded out of common usage pretty quickly and it was easy if you were mindful of what the words meant and the way you were using them. That's why whenever an old person uses racial slurs and someone tries to excuse it its fucking bullshit and I want to punch them in the face. "oh that's just how they were brought up, it was different." If 10 year old boys can decide on their own to stop using homophobic slurs over the course of a few months than your old ass should have been able to cut that shit out in the last 60 years.

bah this is long and rambly but i'm not goin to fix it. Bottom line, in this day and age everyone knows what these terms mean and the connotations behind them and anyone using them is doing so purposely negative way and is in fact an asshole.

Armaros

The only R word that exists in Trumps America is calling someone Racist.

Because that is the most heinous thing possible.

/s

I get it. I just don't agree with the need for it.

I mean, who really cares about your opinion here, though? It already exists and is in widespread use amongst the communities in question, and it kind of suggests you don't fully "get it" if you don't recognize how that demonstrates the value and utility of the concept.

For the record, I feel you and I agree in some ways. I think there's an argument to be made that for being disabled to be a negative, it's that not being able to do certain things makes a person less, which I don't think is inherently true.

"Disabled" is actually far and away the preferred term amongst people in the disability community (both physical and mental/neurological) these days. "Differently abled" is some silly 80s shit mostly proposed by people who were not in fact disabled, and I don't think almost anyone would actually suggest it today.

It took me until my second special education course to permanently switch to person-first descriptions of people with disabilities

FWIW, while there isn't universal consensus on this, most neurodivergent activists are opposed to people-first language, as it suggests (for example) that a "person with autism" is entirely separable from the condition, vs "autistic person" that more correctly suggests that autism is a fundamental part of the person's personality and experience.

depths20XX

It's a word I'm trying to use less. It sometimes slips out when I refer to a situation as "this is fucking retarded". Can't say I've used it towards people really. I also don't really think it's a "Trump's America" thing really when you have pretty liberal people like Destiny using it on the regular. Honestly, I've always heard the term used quite often. It hasn't really died off like calling things "gay".

Chumley

Banned
It's a word I'm trying to use less. It sometimes slips out when I refer to a situation as "this is fucking retarded". Can't say I've used it towards people really. I also don't really think it's a "Trump's America" thing really when you have pretty liberal people like Destiny using it on the regular. Honestly, I've always heard the term used quite often. It hasn't really died off like calling things "gay".

Even "liberal" people don't necessarily think about or care much about the disabled community. Most people never even think about them if they don't know anyone on the spectrum, it literally just never occurs to them that that word can be easily interpreted as a pejorative.

And people who make their living streaming video games are especially in a bubble where they'd never meet people in that world, if they never have to leave their room.

wildfire

Banned
Nah, it's never not been a thing, you've just noticed it more.

I would also not call Neogaf a progressive haven.

I've received a temp ban for using the term the OP is talking about and I've seen one other person get a temp ban as well.

This place is a progressive haven in context of this topic.

spootime

Its something I've worked really hard on not using it anymore. I've got it mostly eliminated from my vocabulary but it slips out with my close friends that I grew up with. Overall I think I hear it less and less these days but I'm at a very liberal school.

I do think I hear more and more casual racism playing video games these days though.

Nah, it's never not been a thing, you've just noticed it more.

I would also not call Neogaf a progressive haven.

This is the most socially liberal forum that I'm aware of.

depths20XX

Even "liberal" people don't necessarily think about or care much about the disabled community. Most people never even think about them if they don't know anyone on the spectrum, it literally just never occurs to them that that word can be easily interpreted as a pejorative.

Yeah, I agree. I never thought much about it until I dated a girl who worked with children with disabilities. I corrected myself after saying it one time and asked her if the term bothered her and she told me it did. That's when I started avoiding the term.

Probably, yes. He is a bully. He excites bullies everywhere. He empowers people to be more boorish and obscene. All the morons in this country see this as their big chance to behave more idiotically.

It's always been thrown around, even by those that consider themselves 'progressives'. I'm just as guilty, it's one of the last subconscious defaults and it ought to be completely unacceptable.

I haven't noticed an actual upswing in its usage, but I still hear people use the word all the time. Liberals, conservatives, doesn't matter.

I've tried to stop using it myself. My dad has always been sensitive to it as his sister was disabled and died young. He'll often say she was retarded when talking about her (since that was the medical term at the time), it's using it as an insult that bothers him.

It pisses me off whenever people get on their soapbox about "oh well this word used to mean something else," bullshit. You live in the here and now, and it's a word that hurts people. Stop being a dick. You don't need that word.

This post is funny because "idiot" and "moron" used to mean the same thing retard did.

Not sure why we draw the line at retard. Seems like using it a lot would rob it of any power it has, just like idiot and moron.
...aaaaand case in point.

"Idiot" and "moron" became inoffensive words in a time when mocking the disabled was itself inoffensive. Had awareness and understanding been half of what it is today (which still isn't great by the way!), you probably would have seen similar outrage at those words.

Just try to put yourself in someone else's shoes for a moment. The way people talk around disabled people like they're not even in the room and casually throw around words like "retard" is incredibly degrading. I consider myself neurotypical but I also grew up very quiet and shy, and this is absolutely how people in my family talked about me and it was incredibly uncomfortable.

DocSeuss

According to google trends, the word "retard" dropped significantly in March of 2016 and hasn't really recovered. It's used most often in North African countries and France. Related topics apparently include Tropic Thunder and Ann Coulter.

Probably, yes. He is a bully. He excites bullies everywhere. He empowers people to be more boorish and obscene. All the morons in this country see this as their big chance to behave more idiotically.

This post is funny because "idiot" and "moron" used to mean the same thing retard did.

Not sure why we draw the line at retard. Seems like using it a lot would rob it of any power it has, just like idiot and moron.

Chumley

Banned
According to google trends, the word "retard" dropped significantly in March of 2016 and hasn't really recovered. It's used most often in North African countries and France. Related topics apparently include Tropic Thunder and Ann Coulter.

This is deliberately obtuse. You'd have to go back to the 30's and 40's for when idiot and moron more specifically referred to mentally handicapped people, but back then they barely even understood what actual mental disability even was. Just that some people were "slow". Autism wasn't even an official disorder until 1987. Down's Syndrome didn't become an accepted term until the 70's.

Dumb/idiot/moron are antiquated in ways that "retarded" are not. We are much farther removed from those being terms with any meaning beyond their colloquial ones than we are with retarded.

Further, speaking as someone who has a low-functioning autistic brother, who many people have referred to as being a "retard" for the sake of harming him through out his life, I'm gonna go ahead and tell you to stop it with this bullshit.

It took me awhile to get that out of my lexicon. But even at my last job - which was working primarily in schools for special needs students - I would hear it every so often.

Not sure why we draw the line at retard.

Because "retard" came into use as a slur for the intellectually disabled in pretty recent memory and was still in wide use when English-speaking society generally decided it was wrong to insult and belittle people for mental disability, while "idiot" had already long since softened to a less specific and less harsh meaning.

DocSeuss

Because "retard" came into use as a slur for the intellectually disabled in pretty recent memory and was still in wide use when English-speaking society generally decided it was wrong to insult and belittle people for mental disability, while "idiot" had already long since softened to a less specific and less harsh meaning.

I'd rather see the word robbed of its power so people stop being derogatory assholes, personally.

EDIT: I don't use "retard" in my own vocabulary, but I do think that it's important that we make compelling arguments for our positions, so for the sake of playing the devil's advocate and seeing if I can't get you to make a stronger argument, I'm gonna take the position that it's good use.

I find your argument about the word's temporal presence lacking because no matter when "idiot" was used, it was still a slur. If disabled people were hurt by that, and I presume they were, it was still discourteous and offensive. It's always a good thing with an offensive word loses its offensive power; then people can't be hurt by it. Just because we have another word for the same thing and have decided it is offensive doesn't make it somehow worse than previously used words. As language evolves, certain words lose their potency; it's unfeasible to argue for the arrested development of the English language. Sure, it's a dick move to be derogatory, but most of the people using "retard" or "that's retarded" already use it just like they did with idiot and moron. Going "hey, that used to mean something derogatory, so you shouldn't use it now" is just trying to slow down a word that was already evolving into harmlessness.

I'd rather see the word robbed of its power so people stop being derogatory assholes, personally.

I mean if someone magically invents the way to do that I'm sure there's people who'd be interested to hear about it. Reclaiming slurs is incredibly difficult, arguably "queer" is the closest anyone's gotten to doing it thoroughly and it takes years of dedicated effort by a united political movement and a network of allies who help in recontextualizing the meaning. Whether or not there was a point where that was a plausible direction for "retard," it's not on the table today.

I find your argument about the word's temporal presence lacking because no matter when "idiot" was used, it was still a slur. If disabled people were hurt by that, and I presume they were, it was still discourteous and offensive.

Yes, but nobody alive today experienced being demeaned and disparaged by the word "idiot" in the same way and severity that many, many, many people did with the word "retard."

DocSeuss

That is the same argument that edgy white boy YouTubers make for wanting to be allowed to drop the n-word
Your passive aggression doesn't bother me.

I mean if someone magically invents the way to do that I'm sure there's people who'd be interested to hear about it. Reclaiming slurs is incredibly difficult, arguably "queer" is the closest anyone's gotten to doing it thoroughly and it takes years of dedicated effort by a united political movement and a network of allies who help in recontextualizing the meaning. Whether or not there was a point where that was a plausible direction for "retard," it's not on the table today.

I'd argue it was actually headed that way until a bunch of people decided it wasn't okay to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom