• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

Unicorn

I guess I'm just fairly averse to grind. I think I'm poorer than most people who have been playing since launch simply because I don't want to spend an hour of my gaming time shooting rocks or tending to literal farms. In Pathfinder I was trying to force myself to mine rocks in order to buy a freighter and finally burnt out. Maybe in 1.3 with the trading improvements it might be possible to make money in early game without farming rocks, but it just doesn't seem like it would be worth it for me to do all that over.

Having a 40+ slot ship right away sounds a bit insane, and almost overpowered. I'm still rocking my C-class 19 slot fighter, though it feels inadequate now. The biggest cost/grind was not the ship itself, but all the weapon and warp upgrades I installed. I'll be sad to sell this sweet BSG Viper. The ole gal got me through a lot of scrapes.
I know it's a lot to do, but I highly suggest investing into the base-building quests to get a basic farm set up. Getting the fungus, cactus, and mordite up will get you liquid explosives that are 1million each sold. Cargo slots are borked now anyway, so attempting to do true trader style isn't possible, really.

You can do the new story content without starting over. But you'll have to do the base building quests over again, I think because some of the recipes they give you have changed. And those are a bit glitched when using an existing save. If you do continue with your current save and already have a base, be sure to redo the base quests on your existing base or it will break things.

Thanks, my save is from before the base building stuff, so this willl be no problem.

I know it's a lot to do, but I highly suggest investing into the base-building quests to get a basic farm set up. Getting the fungus, cactus, and mordite up will get you liquid explosives that are 1million each sold. Cargo slots are borked now anyway, so attempting to do true trader style isn't possible, really.

Well, in 1.2 my farm quest was bugged so I couldn't even finish that. That was part of the reason I wanted a freighter, to try to get the quest to work. Now that I'm having to do all the base quests over (which is a bit irritating), hopefully the farm questline will work.

Regardless, as I said before, I don't want to farm. That's even more micromanagement than shooting rocks. That is not the kind of NMS experience I want. I'll try to continue to be a space trader (with occasional mining), and if that means Sean "I love the grind" Murray never allows me to buy a freighter, so be it.

I bet HG will probably adjust the freighter prices though, as in terms of a player's return on investment they aren't really worth the current prices.

BradleyUK

My weird base.
3JPr94M.jpg

XQlHLGN.jpg

Grinchy

Banned
lol I went back and landed at my base after collecting something and it saved as I got out but my body fell through the map. I just quickly loaded the previous save, so no big deal, but it was funny to see.

Sarcasm

I haven't got my preorder ship yet, I should do that before I install a hyper drive correct?

I need to go down to the planet first?

I did it and the quest to build hyperdrive is gone and I can't build one at all, there is no blueprint even.

Cess007

I don't know how much QoL improvements the latest patch has, but I'm really liking some of them like fueling the ship or your multi-tool without having to open the menu each time, and the more fleshed tutorial.

I've just made my first warp between systems, so I hope the game keeps surprising me again.
Watching and landing near the first wrecked Freighter was an amazing moment

Strange...
Is it possible that the game reset my Atlas path progress?
I'm sure I finished it. I also collected
8(?) of these stone plate artefacts and kept them in my inventory for ages to have them at the 'last' station
and found out the 'secret' of Atlas.

Now after I started the game yesterday, I get the 'you feel the call of Atlas, do you accept it'-message.
I accepted and now I'm on the quest again to find an Atlas station...
Isn't this how the Atlas path started?

Last time I played was after the first round of patches, before the content updates.

Lom1lo

This game will never come to xbox right ? Would love to double dip, dont know why but I dont like gaming on my pc :D

Anyone else noticing weird grow times ? Those cactus things take forever and those mushroom things are three times as fast (I think)

Yeah, this waypoint bug is still super irritating, it's activly getting in the way of navigation now.
Waypoints clogging up the HUD has always been an issue, and one that I can't wrap my head around HG's indifference for. I love the game a lot, even before 1.3 but it's a change that would drastically improve my experience playing.

I setup my first and only base on a planet in creative mode back when the Foundation update came out. I went exploring for quite a while and then decided to return to it though the teleport on one of the space stations. When I returned however, the planet is totally different and I don't recognise it at all. Can planets drastically change?

I setup my first and only base on a planet in creative mode back when the Foundation update came out. I went exploring for quite a while and then decided to return to it though the teleport on one of the space stations. When I returned however, the planet is totally different and I don't recognise it at all. Can planets drastically change?

Are you saying when you continued your save in 1.3, your base planet hadn't changed, but you went out and came back to a different planet? 1.3 did regenerate all the planets in order to improve the terrain and add new biomes, so that's expected to happen, but it should've happened the first time you saw it in 1.3.

Are you saying when you continued your save in 1.3, your base planet hadn't changed, but you went out and came back to a different planet? 1.3 did regenerate all the planets in order to improve the terrain and add new biomes, so that's expected to happen, but it should've happened the first time you saw it in 1.3.

Correction. I know now, it was after Pathfinder that I started a creative game file. A week or so in I found a planet I liked and made home in one of the bases. I didn't modify it, I just moved in and made connection through a space station teleport. Like Bilbo Baggins, I then went on an adventure and travelled quit a bit, at random just looking for other lush planets. Then I got bored and dropped the game for a month or two.

I picked it up again earlier this week to see what's new and wasn't finding anything exciting. So tonight I thought I'd take a teleport back to the only base I've ever chosen. What I was returned to I've never seen before. I took screenshots I'll try and get off my Pro.

Above is the planet I adopted, and with good reason I wished to return to.

This is what I came home to.

Correction. I know now, it was after Pathfinder that I started a creative game file. A week or so in I found a planet I liked and made home in one of the bases. I didn't modify it, I just moved in and made connection through a space station teleport. Like Bilbo Baggins, I then went on an adventure and travelled quit a bit, at random just looking for other lush planets. Then I got bored and dropped the game for a month or two.

I picked it up again earlier this week to see what's new and wasn't finding anything exciting. So tonight I thought I'd take a teleport back to the only base I've ever chosen. What I was returned to I've never seen before. I took screenshots I'll try and get off my Pro.

Yup, this happened to everyone. Because the universe is procedurally generated, when HG change the algorithms to improve or add things, they have to press the reset button on the whole thing. Because all the algorithms are interrelated, they've said that changing color palettes etc. can have big knock-on effects. And because they added new biomes to the game, they probably just completely changed the distribution of biomes.

My verdant, chill home world is now a toxic hellhole. But that's okay because I know there's better ones to find out there, and the improvements to the terrain and the new biomes were completely worth it.

i'm even more dumb, i thought i had a base and it disappeared i forgot i have a creative mode save that i actually built a base in. Man never needed so much iron til now and home planet isn't that full of it, has a lot of multi-element iron spots that give tiny amounts

Yup, this happened to everyone. Because the universe is procedurally generated, when HG change the algorithms to improve or add things, they have to press the reset button on the whole thing. Because all the algorithms are interrelated, they've said that changing color palettes etc. can have big knock-on effects. And because they added new biomes to the game, they probably just completely changed the distribution of biomes.

My verdant, chill home world is now a toxic hellhole. But that's okay because I know there's better ones to find out there, and the improvements to the terrain and the new biomes were completely worth it.

Damn, that planet was really the only paradise I've found. Time to move on then.

Grinchy

Banned
I'm new to the game after the newest patch, but I find that it's quite good. I don't know what you launch owners went through, but this is a game worthy of some praise at this point.

Minamu

When you move your base, some of the material gets wasted yeah? How do you know which material you miss out on? I have a hundred active plants etc, I don't want to lose a thing :lol

Speaking of which, can I free up some complexity in my base by deleting my npc stations once their quests are done? I can't interact with either of them anyway.

When you move your base, some of the material gets wasted yeah? How do you know which material you miss out on? I have a hundred active plants etc, I don't want to lose a thing :lol

Speaking of which, can I free up some complexity in my base by deleting my npc stations once their quests are done? I can't interact with either of them anyway.

Yeah get rid of the npcs. For the base move the way to go is to leave a beacon at your new site and go back to the old one and delete everything manually and store things either in the storage boxes or your ship/suit. Especially your crops. You will lose so much otherwise. When I moved a base the lazy way I only got enough materials back to replant 1/3 of my old farm at the new base.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
finally got a phase beam! so glad i don't need to get out my ship and stand there mining huge rocks of stuff. now i can just sit in my ship and fire away :D

i'm only about 8 hours in. i have just under 1m units. i'm heading towards an atlas station right now. just going with the flow and seeing what happens. desperately need more inventory space though.

Minamu

Yeah get rid of the npcs. For the base move the way to go is to leave a beacon at your new site and go back to the old one and delete everything manually and store things either in the storage boxes or your ship/suit. Especially your crops. You will lose so much otherwise. When I moved a base the lazy way I only got enough materials back to replant 1/3 of my old farm at the new base.
Thanks, that's a clever idea! Now to find a suitable planet..

i'm only about 8 hours in. i have just under 1m units. i'm heading towards an atlas station right now. just going with the flow and seeing what happens. desperately need more inventory space though.
Plant a signal booster (dpad up) and search for 2-3 drop pods. The early inv slots are relatively cheap iirc. Then repeat if needed.

mokeyjoe

Outside of difficulty, does playing on Survival offer anything unique?

If you get shot down in space in Survival you crash land on a planet and have to go trekking across the surface to find your ship. Also, graves aren't a thing. With that said, I tend to just reload my save...

Other than that it's just a bigger resource grind, and stuff dies more damage. Still prefer it though.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
If you get shot down in space in Survival you crash land on a planet and have to go trekking across the surface to find your ship. Also, graves aren't a thing. With that said, I tend to just reload my save...

Other than that it's just a bigger resource grind, and stuff dies more damage. Still prefer it though.

I decided to just play Normal. My 3 attempts at Survival all ended with me more frustrated than anything, ha.

I landed on my second planet finally. These things are everywhere and it's wonderful.

FixC5b8l.jpg

After scouring the planet, I found a "distress beacon" that I was told to hit up. I went to fix the piston arm or whatever and it said I needed Iron. So I went and got some iron and tried to interact with the arm again...No luck. I'm assuming it's a bug where an interactable stops being interactable sometimes?

Also, is there a "trick" to finding the last species on a planet? I have been at 7/8 for what feels like forever on my current location and it's pissing me off.

Also, is there a "trick" to finding the last species on a planet? I have been at 7/8 for what feels like forever on my current location and it's pissing me off.

No trick but some tips.

Check the caves.
Water species will spawn in a puddle sometimes so if the planet has even a tiny amount of water showing it probably spawns life.
Check the high ground. Mega fauna seems to like it up there plus it seems to make the birds spawn in more often if you are higher up.
Mostly search in daylight. Far higher spawn rate.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i found a new ship! i am so happy. more inventory space :D however i went from ~1m units to about just under 100k from repairing it.

the game is starting to click for me now :D

I finally found the last creature on my pre-1.3 base planet last night. I had seen it briefly back in Foundation when flying in boost mode, but couldn't find it when I came back. Last night I was in the buggy exocraft and got about 6 minutes away from my base and there it was, a giant floating crab thing.

So my tip would be to use the higher-speed exocraft to cover more terrain.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
No trick but some tips.

Check the caves.
Water species will spawn in a puddle sometimes so if the planet has even a tiny amount of water showing it probably spawns life.
Check the high ground. Mega fauna seems to like it up there plus it seems to make the birds spawn in more often if you are higher up.
Mostly search in daylight. Far higher spawn rate.

Thanks - I need to go spelunking I guess!

I finally found the last creature on my pre-1.3 base planet last night. I had seen it briefly back in Foundation when flying in boost mode, but couldn't find it when I came back. Last night I was in the buggy exocraft and got about 6 minutes away from my base and there it was, a giant floating crab thing.

So my tip would be to use the higher-speed exocraft to cover more terrain.

How do I build an exocraft????

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I wish there was a way to better map out a planet as you discover it, and see what points you've been to already and what hasnt been visited.

Unless there's something I missed?

How do I build an exocraft????

You need to go through the base building quests first, and you'll be given the blueprints to make each of the exocraft spawn terminals.

I wish there was a way to better map out a planet as you discover it, and see what points you've been to already and what hasnt been visited.

Unless there's something I missed?

A top-down terrain map would be pretty cool, but no, nothing like that exists. Maybe you should submit a suggestion about it to HG.

Unicorn

At any point am I able to automate resource collection? NMS noob here.
Not really. There are some automated units you can plug onto resource deposits, but they have low holding and require you to locate and interface with them to collect. They are pretty pricey resource wise as well.

If you can set them up near your base they become pretty close to automated... in so far as you have to let 1 hour in-game time pass and then manually collect/re-charge every hour.

They're damn expensive to build though.... Building a good farm first is a must IMO if you wanna set up a bunch of mining units near your base. It would take days to require all the gamma root and solanum by hand QQ

You'd make a lot more money using the mats to craft items to sell though haha but once you set up the mining units they only require a bit of Silicate (e.g. Heridium).

IMO they're most a roleplay thing. They're not very practical, cost efficient, or good at making money.

But in theory, you can sort have a 'mining farm' that operates the same as a regular farm. I'm in the process of building one right now hehe got a pretty big new farm dedicated just to making the materials for the mining units. So we'll see if I can make it work out or not. So far it feels about as shitty as my solo weed farm in GTAO haha.

Roussow

The ๖ۜBronx;246337832 said:
Waypoints clogging up the HUD has always been an issue, and one that I can't wrap my head around HG's indifference for. I love the game a lot, even before 1.3 but it's a change that would drastically improve my experience playing.

Specifically these white circular waypoints.

I don't remember them hanging around on my screen when I played substantially around original release, or when I briefly returned to the game when the base building update dropped.
I hear they're apparently marked when you scan stuff, not sure whether that's by the actual scanner or analyzing structures, although they seem to just show up, resolution scaled way the fuck up, and don't go away until you exit the game or the system you're occupying, where the process will just repeat itself, and they stack like crazy, for practically every structure you look I ended up, I end up with like 4 or 5 of them onscreen within a half hour, at which point I basically just quit.
I think I'll patiently wait on a bug fix for this one.

I hear they're apparently marked when you scan stuff, not sure whether that's by the actual scanner or analyzing structures, although they seem to just show up, resolution scaled way the fuck up, and don't go away until you exit the game or the system you're occupying, where the process will just repeat itself, and they stack like crazy, for practically every structure you look I ended up, I end up with like 4 or 5 of them onscreen within a half hour, at which point I basically just quit.
I think I'll patiently wait on a bug fix for this one.

I think it was meant to be a feature -- scan something (like an outpost, mineral, etc) and it'll show you more of that around you -- but because it doesn't clear when you scan something new it becomes a mess.

Still trying to decide if I'm going to start again or continue my save game from launch on normal mode. The thing I'm worried about if I don't start again is if I will miss out on any part of the new story. It seems my current save game only has the Atlas part of the story where as my new save game on survival has the Awakenings part of the story. Is this normal and will I miss out on parts of the story mode if I continue my normal save game from launch?

Still trying to decide if I'm going to start again or continue my save game from launch on normal mode. The thing I'm worried about if I don't start again is if I will miss out on any part of the new story. It seems my current save game only has the Atlas part of the story where as my new save game on survival has the Awakenings part of the story. Is this normal and will I miss out on parts of the story mode if I continue my normal save game from launch?

I continued my launch day game save and got the Awakenings storyline. The trailhead to that storyline is a signal you receive in space.

This whole update (despite bugs) has been a massive success for the game in more ways than one. I am glad this is the case. But there is also one thing worrying me.

Resets. In order to significantly improve terrain generation in the future, we can certainly expect it will require further universe reseeding. While I doubt they would do it immediately next update, it presents a real question - how often will it happen?

I think everyone here would like nothing more than the game to continue improving. However, this game is not just about discovery and travel. It's also about documentation and leaving a small imprint of yourself in a large universe. If there is constantly a danger of reseting the seed at some set intervals (no matter what improvements it brings), doesn't that impact the gameplay and the "drive" a huge amount? Especially for HUBs! Imagine, coming together, spending a huge amount of time and effort to document and claim a small part of the galaxy and then have it all wiped after half a year or a year.

I am not sure how I would solve such a dilemma in HG's place.

E92 M3

This whole update (despite bugs) has been a massive success for the game in more ways than one. I am glad this is the case. But there is also one thing worrying me.

Resets. In order to significantly improve terrain generation in the future, we can certainly expect it will require further universe reseeding. While I doubt they would do it immediately next update, it presents a real question - how often will it happen?

I think everyone here would like nothing more than the game to continue improving. However, this game is not just about discovery and travel. It's also about documentation and leaving a small imprint of yourself in a large universe. If there is constantly a danger of reseting the seed at some set intervals (no matter what improvements it brings), doesn't that impact the gameplay and the "drive" a huge amount? Especially for HUBs! Imagine, coming together, spending a huge amount of time and effort to document and claim a small part of the galaxy and then have it all wiped after half a year or a year.

I am not sure how I would solve such a dilemma in HG's place.

I'm all for reseeding. Planets are so cool now. I'm constantly being wowed.

It'll hurt for me if they do it again... I've spent nearly 300 hours in basically a 300LY range, so I like the way my neighbourhood looks. I'm rather attached to systems and planets, and especially attached to my home planet. I got lucky in that in 1.3 it didn't really change but had it changed it would probably turn me off quite a lot. It kinda sucks that my starter planet was changed, and most of my Discoveries all have inaccurate POI photos now.

Hopefully they never regenerate again and if they want to improve biomes, just improve them -- don't reseed, too. So if you want to improve the types of desert biomes, then just have current desert biome 'change' into one of the new ones. Why randomly reseed it into a toxic planet? Or if planets get multiple biomes, they keep the current biome as the dominant at least. Gotta be a better way to improve biomes without randomly turning people's home planets into something totally different.

I mean, it's not a big deal, and if there's no other way and benefits are worth it, then I guess. But it's also a pretty big negative for people attached to their home planets and with vested months -- and tens of millions of units -- into those existing planets.

Top Bottom