• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Controller to Be Named "Move." Bye bye Gem? truly outrageous

Sony's PS3 Motion Controller Might be called Arc, or Something far less Bodacious

Engadget said:
Remember that retooled controller that Sony seemed darn well inclined to bring to the masses with its PlayStation 3? Some might say that was the original Arc, but given that just about everyone laughed the design off and forced the company's hand with the conventional SIXAXIS, there seems to be a distinct possibility that the suits are about to get their revenge. According to "a concrete source speaking under conditions of strict anonymity," VG247 has it that Sony's forthcoming PS3 motion controller will be labeled Arc when it hits retail shelves sometime "this year." If you'll recall, we knew that the device was called Gem (or was it Sphere?) during its internal production, but this is first time we've been notified of a proper name for those "on the outside." 'Course, only time (and high-ranking marketers) will tell whether the moniker will stick, but we find ourselves strangely attracted -- who knows, maybe we're just sympathetic.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/19/sonys-ps3-motion-controller-might-be-called-arc-or-something-f/

bodacious
Main Entry: bo·da·cious
Pronunciation: \bō-ˈdā-shəs\
Function: adjective
Etymology: probably blend of bold and audacious
Date: 1832

1 Southern & Midland : outright, unmistakable
2 : remarkable, noteworthy <a bodacious bargain>
3 : sexy, voluptuous <bodacious babes>

Forgive if already posted, did a search.

I would also suggest a look at the first couple pages of the following thread, when the Wii name was first announced. Pretty interesting to look at what people said about the name when it first surfaced.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97127&highlight=named+wii

What's with all these fucking stupid names?

Sphere, Gem and now Arc!?

EDIT: Clearly I'm wrong and "Arc" is a fantastic name.

Arc is a far better name, and has far better marketing potential in relation to "movement". So yeah, I hope thats it (and also that leaked patent of interchangeable buttons and analogue sticks is in).

Artadius

HUELEN10 said:
The hell? That's the shittiest reason for doing/not doing something. A rose by any other name dude...

As for the name, LOVE it.

Has it been that long since the Wii name reveal? I think that's what he was getting at...

Artadius said:
Has it been that long since the Wii name reveal? I think that's what he was getting at...
"Wii" wasn't a word. As much as we hated it, it still had some snaziness to it. Although "Arc" is an existing word and is somewhat dull. Also, we're talking about an add-on here, not a console.

"Can I have a Playstation 3, please? With a, erm... Arc."

Far better than Sphere or Gem. I can already see a glossy gray logo (with one of the letters shaped like a stylized parabola or semi-circle) with thin tech-styled font.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
It will always be Gem on my heart.

Biff

I though Sphere worked well, but Playstation Sphere is quite the tongue twister, whereas Playstation Arc can easily be said 50-60 times in a press conference by Tretton, or better yet, Kaz.

"It's Arc! Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrc!"

137_1.jpg

I imagine he likes the new name!

anonymousAversa said:
bodacious
Main Entry: bo·da·cious
Pronunciation: \b&#333;-&#712;d&#257;-sh&#601;s\
Function: adjective
Etymology: probably blend of bold and audacious
Date: 1832

1 Southern & Midland : outright, unmistakable
2 : remarkable, noteworthy <a bodacious bargain>
3 : sexy, voluptuous <bodacious babes>

I kinda want the Playstation Bodacious now...

HUELEN10

DennisK4 said:
Arc is just fine.

Remember how you guys thought Wii was the most retarded name ever? Yeah, you remember.
I wasn't here back then. Did people dislike the Wii name on GAF at first? I thought the media overblew it that day, but any mocking ended pretty soon.

EDIT: Read the linked thread. :lol

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Arc is by far the best of the names I've seen proposed so far.

Gem is a little...off. Doesn't really make sense too much. I can see why 'gem' was suggested (i.e. seeing the light-up bit as a 'sparkly gem' but...hmm...)

'Wand' is just too generic.

Sphere is too boring/obvious and codenamey.

Arc is short, simple and less obvious but still related to the product. I could see the marketing for it, the controller rotating to carve an arc...that being it's visual signature in marketing (ala the two is in Wii that bow in ads etc.) IMO it could work a lot better than the other names...my favourite so far anyway.

(Watch it now actually be named Gem :|)

gerg

Oni Jazar said:
Why can't it just be "Wand"? Tells you everything you need to know.

As others have said, "Arc" is much better than "Wand". Wand sounds feminine, whereas Arc can be both more universal and also more masculine and "edgey" at the same time.

DennisK4 said:
Arc is just fine.

Remember how you guys thought Wii was the most retarded name ever? Yeah, you remember.

The Wii name is still pretty stupid... we are just used to it now. You can get used to anything in life and still not like it.

theBishop

Banned
"Arc" sounds a little intimidating if the plan is a grab for the Wii audience. Obviously, I'd prefer something a bit more mature.

It would have been really ambitious if Heavy Rain was the "Arc" launch title. The Newsweek/Time Magazine story looks better if it's "Sony's motion control play is something different" rather than a clear knock off.

Alej

Banned
Arc in french means bow, like a bow, arrows... Oh well.
So, je veux un arc s'il vous plait!

(i'm french, that's my coming out)

gofreak said:
Arc is by far the best of the names I've seen proposed so far.

Gem is a little...off. Doesn't really make sense too much. I can see why 'gem' was suggested (i.e. seeing the light-up bit as a 'sparkly gem' but...hmm...)

'Wand' is just too generic.

Sphere is too boring/obvious and codenamey.

Arc is short, simple and less obvious but still related to the product. I could see the marketing for it, the controller rotating to carve an arc...that being it's visual signature in marketing (ala the two is in Wii that bow in ads etc.) IMO it could work a lot better than the other names...my favourite so far anyway.

(Watch it now actually be named Gem :|)

Good Reasoning. I'm sure that if it is going to be named Arc, this was the thinking behind the name.

Ranger X

Alej said:
Arc in french means bow, like a bow, arrows... Oh well.
So, je veux un arc s'il vous plait!

(i'm french, that's my coming out)

Moi Sony vont se le arker en quelque part! :lol

(Sony can arc them it up their butt... makes more sense in french)

Top Bottom