• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Los Angeles |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the Universe

Puddles

Banned
The Block, fuck.

I'm drunk.

I just went shopping at the fucking Grove for Christmas, which makes it even more retarded.

Doomsayer

Huh, weird. Lived/worked in downtown and didn't really see that. But yeah, Alhambra is pretty lol. Almost got rear ended by a guy who was clearly under the influence of something a few months ago at Poplar/Fremont, who then proceeded to do a hit and run in front of me (and proceeded to get chased by the dude he hit, oh Alhambra)

I used to work nights, I would get off at midnight and see it constantly.

Fremont and Garfield are the two main offenders for accidents. There is way too much congestion in those areas and people generally give less than two fucks about others.

Zyzyxxz

San Gabriel Valley here,

So we doing a meetup or what biatches? We could always be hipsters and go to Wurstkuche... lol I kid, I kid.

But in all seriousness I love the diversity of the city but getting around is such a pain, not sure if I want to move away but having spent most of my life here I have my "avoid freeways time schedule" etched in blood.

I think Downtown is really changing nicely but it's happening too slow, there needs to be more affordable lofts for wannabe hipsters like me who are actually broke. Supposedly some projects in Chinatown may happen in the near future, one is breaking ground so that could be good for the area. If I had my choice I'd probably want to live in Little Tokyo though since from there I am still close to SGV but I can get to West Side on weekends easily as well.

okay LA GAF. Name me some of the best pizza places? I've always been disappointed with pizza here. always.

And if you say CPK...

800 Degrees, from the guys that brought you Umami Burger, so far reviews are pretty damn stellar. You are getting a brick oven, open fired pizza for less than $10 and it's about 12-14". It basically combines fast casual concepts while taking notes from fine dining. You won't probably approach Pizzeria Mozza levels but you are paying half the price for a lot more pizza as well.

NoRéN

Huh, weird. Lived/worked in downtown and didn't really see that. But yeah, Alhambra is pretty lol. Almost got rear ended by a guy who was clearly under the influence of something a few months ago at Poplar/Fremont, who then proceeded to do a hit and run in front of me (and proceeded to get chased by the dude he hit, oh Alhambra)
And that's why I don't miss Alhambra. Had some idiot bump my cutlass the got mad at me despite him running the red. Well, not that San Gabriel is any better.

Black mamba, I alway see Petrillos in San Gabriel get praise. Don't know if you're familiar with it.

i met AC slater as a kid while he was doing Saved By The Bell. Signed something for me! hah

edit: heard of Petrillo's, never tried it. Now I'm thinking I should.

Zhengi

there used to be a place in chinatown in la called ABC seafoods.
dim sum carts rolling around. so good.
but its no more :(

If you want dim sum, best place is at New Capital in San Gabriel on Valley and Del Mar. It's in Focus Plaza. Avoid during the weekends as it gets super crowded.

Also, some of the best Chinese food ever can be found on Valley stretching from Alhambra all the way to San Gabriel.

If you want dim sum, best place is at New Capital in San Gabriel on Valley and Del Mar. It's in Focus Plaza. Avoid during the weekends as it gets super crowded.

Also, some of the best Chinese food ever can be found on Valley stretching from Alhambra all the way to San Gabriel.
Thanks brother. I go in that area quite a few times!

NoRéN

The fact that I've lived in that area for the last 5 years yet not tried any place makes me sad.

Joe Peep's is one of the absolute worst pizzas I've ever had. And I've tried it 5 years apart at least 3 times. Terrible every single time. That place is ass.

I don't understand how it's always busy. It is a disgrace to pizza.

RobbieNick

Can anyone recommend me the best used game store in So Cal?

Also, why does everyone else in the U.S. love our In-and-Out so much. I've had thier burgers and I just don't get the appeal.

Doomsayer

NoRéN;34389342 said:
The fact that I've lived in that area for the last 5 years yet not tried any place makes me sad.

I think NBC seafood is pretty amazing for dim sum, its on Atlantic and... I want to say Harding. It's always crowded though. Hot Pot Hot Pot, used to be called Little Sheep, is also very good on Atlantic and Garvey.

So many good sushi places, Yoshino is god-tier.

I really miss the food out in Monterey Park/Alhambra.

NoRéN

I think NBC seafood is pretty amazing for dim sum, its on Atlantic and... I want to say Harding. It's always crowded though. Hot Pot Hot Pot, used to be called Little Sheep, is also very good on Atlantic and Garvey.

So many good sushi places, Yoshino is god-tier.

I really miss the food out in Monterey Park/Alhambra.
Hot pot I recall seeing quite clearly. I'll have to try it.

Top Bottom