• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: Thanks for your dedication to Xbox: Here is Killer Instinct for free

purg3

slept with Malkin
Didn't get anything yet. Had live since day one, 50K+ gamer score and I've had my Xbox one paid for the day the preorders opened. :(

Not too big of a deal but some free stuff would be nice lol. I've usually been pretty lucky with these offers too.

Bobb

I hope this is a start of a trend from MS. Do it like Sony where they spend a fraction of the cost to give away free stuff rather than spending hundreds of millions as a way to advertise your product. Positive word of mouth will spread through Facebook, Twitter, message boards etc. Much more effective IMO.

Razdek

Banned
Rejoice my friends, this is the new Microsoft.

Free consoles, free games, free chicks, champagne for everyone. 720p is not so bad after all.

PS4 preorder cancelled unless Sony gives us even more.

Bet you thought you were pretty clever when you wrote that didn't you?

Xbox 360 day one, 162K gamerscore, email for KI came in at 6:36 PST from xbox@engage.xbox.com
Damn. ;~; Why you no live me Microsoft.

>takes off Xbox One hoodie I made
>Throws away my Nokia 1020 Windows Phone
>Pulls off my Zune
>Smashes my Windows 8 Laptop and Desktop
>Cancel Xbox One Pre-Order

Haha no but seriously I feel unappreciated now. Apparently I'm not good enough to get free stuff from Microsoft. :(

I got nothin'~!

I've had live for 7 years, lots of points in Xbox Live Rewards, so much money spent(and hacked :( ), and 80k+ gamerscore. Hope I get something sometime :eek:

Troll

Banned

>Pulls off my Zune

Haha no but seriously I feel unappreciated now. Apparently I'm not good enough to get free stuff from Microsoft. :(

That's what they risk when they do stuff like this.

One Christmas, Xbox Live held $350 of mine hostage for months because of that account FIFA hacking thing. I didn't burn all of Redmond down, so that's kinda like dedication right?

39226-SjqQ1gif-BYVv.gif

lucky been with them since xbox but then changed my name on 360 so not sure if my chosenpredator account will get anything since im on silver currently.

That's what they risk when they do stuff like this.

My company has done stuff like this before, and... the reality is that there's always an aspect of randomness to it.

Either by judging various metrics across different segments of 'qualifications', or even worse, putting them through an auto-selector. Large companies are not going to filter each gamer one by one and carefully selecting winners with love, attention and care.

I don't know if MS does this, but what I've seen of FMCG marketing is that they also tend to occasionally randomly choose less qualified ones just to make it less of a 'only hardcores are appreciated, casual fans aren't.'

Monocle

I definitely deserve an email. XBL subscriber for nine years running. ~40K gamerscore. Stayed with Xbox through four (or was it five?) RRODs and a faulty disk drive. Loads of games bought at full price on launch day.

Haven't pre-ordered an XB1, though, because I can't think of anything besides far-off exclusives that would appeal to me more than what a PS4 can offer. That and no backward compatibility means I've gotta jump ship.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I definitely deserve an email. XBL subscriber for nine years running. ~40K gamerscore. Stayed with Xbox through four (or was it five?) RRODs and a faulty disk drive. Loads of games bought at full price on launch day.

you deserve nothing with a paltry 40k gamerscore brah. 80k appears to be a requirement

Kamal007

Neo Member
Day 1 xbox OG, xbox 360 and xbox one
over 5 million gamerpoints
actually liked perfect dark zero
Am Bill Gates

Still no email

Troll

Banned
There's no doubt that I feel that I deserve one. But If I don't get one I won't really feel too upset. I guess.

:(

e: anyone who has an achievement on windows phone should get an email automatically.

Gadirok

>Pulls off my Zune

Maybe you should have played more games and increased your gamerscore. They have a criteria for a reason. They clearly thought you weren't hardcore enough to deserve KI. But they do appreciate your business.

To those who haven't received emails, are you guys/gals signed up on rewards.xbox.com ?

I think this may be how they are handling freebies & extras. Got an email yesterday that to get the Freefall bonus map for CoD Ghosts from Games on Demand, I needed to be connected to the rewards program.

Yes, signed up when it started

Those 20 MS point surveys...

Got mine at 6:39AMPT this morning - XboxOne pre-ordered via MSFT Store, 85K+ Gamerscore, Gold sub since 2007, also signed up for Xbox Rewards whenever that launched.

I wonder if they're just rolling it out in waves for all those who have pre-orders?

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
I don't understand the strategy here. They already have the loyalists.

This will just make the multi-console gamer feel even less appreciated when nothing lands in their inbox.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
To those who haven't received emails, are you guys/gals signed up on rewards.xbox.com ?

I think this may be how they are handling freebies & extras. Got an email yesterday that to get the Freefall bonus map for CoD Ghosts from Games on Demand, I needed to be connected to the rewards program.

http://rewards.xbox.com/myrewards/#myrewards_offer_codghosts

yes.

20k GS, 11 years tenure, on rewards (champion), preordered through MS... On entire MS ecosystem (Xbox/Surface/Lumia) and nada

last time I got something free was the Xbox live starter kit in August 2002 and I got dinged with $120 customs lol

vg260

XBL member since the beta on the original Xbox and 50k+ gamerscore. No email. I've been wavering on keeping my pre-order. Not a good move, MS. Not good.

Perhaps they're giving them away to those they feel they are more likely to lose. Looking at your info, you might not look like someone on the edge to them.

That's preposterous. Time and money spent should have more weight than a silly number.

Unfortunately, unless you have something to distinguish yourself from the rest, we are all just statistics and numbers before the cogs of a corporation.

Numbers are how they judge you unless you have something more. Alas.

Thankfully the new Kinect will allow them to see the emotions of the player, and how invested they are in the Xbox brand, so maybe they'll be able to finally go beyond numbers when giving rewards!!! /s :p

Gadirok

That's preposterous. Time and money spent should have more weight than a silly number. Anyone can farm achievements.

If it were some silly rewards program maybe.

Time spent with XBL and a greater number of achievements (higher gamerscore) sounds better to me than time spent with XBL and time spent buying crap that you won't ever use. The latter would have probably bought the game anyways so I don't understand why some people here are pissed.

Oh wait... its the principle.

Monocle

If it were some silly rewards program maybe.

Time spent with XBL and a greater number of achievements (higher gamerscore) sounds better to me than time spent with XBL and time spent buying crap that you won't ever use. The latter would have probably bought the game anyways so I don't understand why some people here are pissed.

Oh wait... its the principle.
Haha, pretty much.

Probably for loyalist who aren't getting an XB1
Ohh, I'm one of those.

I'll probably get an XB1 eventually if there are three or four absolutely must have exclusives and Halo 5 is good. Then again, I never got a PS3, which has more than a few killer apps at this point.

Onionkid

Checked my email and yup, free copy of Killer Instinct here too. 5 year gold member, ~120k gamerscore (and I guess that makes me a Master on the Xbox Live Rewards program). No Xbox One preordered, but thanks anyhow MS!

Top Bottom