• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Consoles you've regretted buying?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Really regret selling my Neo-Geo with many great games (Metal Slug, Neo Turf Masters, Robo Army,
Fatal Fury Special...) for a pittance.

Thank god I had a veeery rich friend who lent me the 3DO and CD-I so I was able to dodge that bullet, also didn't fell for the 32X (well, I returned it a day later), besides those I've owned every console under the sun and the ones I kinda regretted (meaning I've sold them shortly after) were:

N64 (loved it for ISSpro, Wave Race and Turok, never was into Mario 64 -I love every Mario bar 64- and I didn't like RARE collectatons, played a bit of OOT and sold the console)

Xbox (bought it a bit before Halo 2, loved Halo:CE and Rallysport Challenge 2, didn't like Halo 2 and I sold the console shortly after realizing I never played the damn thing -I vastly preferred the Gamecube or my PS2).

So I'd say Xbox but in the end I was able to recoup most of my money and still got a bit of enjoyment out of it.
Original GBA was pure shit but I loved the games and I just jumped to the GBA Lite as soon as it released.

sn00zer

Alan Wake PC....when my PC can play Crysis 2/Batman AA on all high settings and can barely play Alan Wake on low......trying to get a refund now

I regretted getting a wii at launch. Not so much now.

I REALLY regretted asking for a Sega Saturn for Christmas one year.

But I didn't get it away.

TurboGrafx 16 when I was 10. I sold all of NES games for it through FuncoLands ad in the back of some old gaming magazine. Got my money, went right out and got a TG16. Owned it for a weeked, realized that it was just a flashier NES, and went right back out and returned it and got a Genesis. SNES was coming out 2 weeks later.

Shouldve waited..

Hence your username? :p

Accoun

GBA
Not because of SP (never liked the blocky clampshell, the buttons were awful - especially L and R, its only adventage was the backlight), not because I paid full price (I haven't, bought when they got cheaper), but because I finished a whooping amount of 3 games on it, with 2 of them being borrowed from a schoolfriend... around 4 years after getting the console.
Well... I was a small kid, didn't knew anything about smaller game stores, buying used etc. and the ones in bigger, chain media stores were awfuly pricey.
(well, at least I was able to play Aria Of Sorrow thanks to that)

The thing that strikes me even more today: it was partially sponsored by my grandparents. I could have gotten more money and buy a PS2... :-/

true Gek

NDS... Used for the first 3 years, then my NDS died!

Also Wii... I used it for around the first 2 years, then I didn't use it until Xenoblade - Zelda SS - The Last Story - Pandora's Tower were released!

elcapitan

I like to hold on to my consoles, even when they don't get much play. You'll never know when a quality release finally comes out.

I got a CD-i back when Magnavox started making a version. I still feel like I need to repay my parents for that mistake. I did enjoy Space Ace, the Dragon's Lairs, and Burn Cycle though. Still, a lot of regret from that.

Schnei871

None. Got a lot of joy outta my wii for years. The new smash bros brawl hack project m was putting together got finished recently too so it still gets used. Highly recommended and works without a modded wii

The Nintendo DS is the only thing I can think of. My life just isn't conducive to portable gaming and when I'm at home, I'd rather play games on my consoles/PC.

Not consoles, but the Vita is VERY borderline right now on the regret scale. The good news is that there's still hope for it and that I still love the system.

But...could I have waited for a price drop and/or get it later with a possible re-model?

Yeah. :(

The original Xbox. Not only did I hate the controllers, I only really liked the remake of Conker and a few other oddities. Now it's a weight to hold my little sister's rabbit cage shut.

Refurbed 60gb PS3. Loud as hell and died quick. Should've gone straight to the Slim. I'll pick up a PS2 at some point if certain games don't get HD collected or make it to PSN.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Putting aside the Resident Evil games which eventually made it worth for me, I regretted buying every single Nintendo console/handheld. That means Gamecube, Wii, DS and 3DS.

Dear god, please don't let the WiiU have any good exclives aside from Nintendo games so I don't have to regret buying that too...

PSP.

I didn't think it was a bad system, I just realized I very rarely (if ever) use portable gaming anymore. Bought it at full price too, so that didn't help.

I'd say Wii, but I've played some phenomenal games for it, and I didn't pay too much for the console itself. It's certainly the console I've valued the least out of those I've bought, but I didn't regret it.

Top Bottom