• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech Support GAF Thread: No Case Too Big, No Case Too Small

SundaySounds said:
Well I downloaded hulu desktop, and that runs it better. But I still can't play fullscreen videos without my pc crashing.

Well, what error does it give you when it BSOD? Your post is too vague to be able to help in any way.

Cheeto said:
Well, I doubt a parity error would result from faulty memory in a desktop PC. So, if I were you I'd start removing things on the PCI bus and see if it clears up. If you can't isolate it there, you might want to open it up and make sure that it's not caked in dust... overheating can cause weird issues.

Thanks. I know there's hardly any dust in it as we only had it opened recently. I don't think there's too much connected to the PCI bus either but I'll try and have a look tomorrow.

Hawkian said:
Mike, I would definitely start with clocking your CPU back to stock- see if this makes any impact on the frequency of the errors as you work with it for some time.

Got rid of the overclock and it managed to surive 3 days running fine, no lock ups or anything. Just got a BOSD with the error:

STOP - 0x0000008E (0xc0000005, 0xbd1f6ffa, 0xb30338378, 0x00000000)

****nv4_disp.dll - Address BDf6ffa base at bd012000, datestamp 4ac001a1

Any ideas folks, think I have googled this before and come up with nothing.

MikeDub said:
Got rid of the overclock and it managed to surive 3 days running fine, no lock ups or anything. Just got a BOSD with the error:

Your GPU may be toast.

Nameless

Need tech-gaf's help on resolving a stupid arguement. What's currently the most powerful, bad-ass, king shit laptop that money can buy?

clav

MikeDub said:

Drivers

Update them.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Anyone here familiar with Autodesk Maya?

I have this problem with my UI, the tool controls for Move/Rotate/Scale are far too extended for my liking:

maya.png

Green circle shows where they are when I use Maya on my campus computers.

Barrett2

I need help.

I started downloading a file and all the sudden my netbook goes haywire with popups, etc. I was able to start running Malwarebytes, but it's been scanning for 30 minutes and hasn't found anything. What other program should I run to get this crap off my netbook? Help!!

Has anyone heard of a problem like this: when I turn on my pc its fine for about 15 minutes and then either disconnects from the internet or freezes altogether and then I shutdown and restart and its fine. Any idea what could be going on here?

Halycon said:
Anyone here familiar with Autodesk Maya?

I have this problem with my UI, the tool controls for Move/Rotate/Scale are far too extended for my liking:

Green circle shows where they are when I use Maya on my campus computers.

Press the + and - keys to adjust the size.

@claviertekky Yup, that was the next step I took and everything has been A-OK, thanks!

Help my fears GAF.

New PC, on it now. Had 2 BSOD's in relatively quick succession after some bouts of freezing while trying to get Firefox to play nice/in general likely with respect to Flash. (working fine now)

MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION (middle of a youtube video that finished later no prob) and what I think was REFERENCE_BY_POINTER (just on a forum getting logged back in everyplace)---last one vanished ultra fast into an auto-reboot.

Win 7 Pro 64. A friend was helping me get it all hopping earlier today but had to bounce after like an hour and it'll be about a week until he can hopefully hop by again for a much more indepth stint of tweaking and such.

olore

Computer boots (which in itself takes ages) loads up 70+ processes and then freezes up completely when trying to launch a program (browser, MSN, Spotify et al). Nothing works at this point. ctrl alt delete does not work. What do i do?

Puck

Banned
olore said:
Computer boots (which in itself takes ages) loads up 70+ processes and then freezes up completely when trying to launch a program (browser, MSN, Spotify et al). Nothing works at this point. ctrl alt delete does not work. What do i do?
Boot it up in safe mode, once in safe mode "start -> run -> type msconfig". Then head over to the startup tab and "disable all" (you can enable them by repeating if you find this allows you to boot in normally). Restart into normal mode, if it works then you can selectively reenable startup items you know. If it doesn't, go back into safe mode and into msconfig. On the services tab, hit "hide all microsoft services" and then hit disable all. Restart and see, it should boot fine.

cryptic

Gaf, I have a big question.

I plan on taking the mcdst exam 70-271 off of reading the sybex book from 2004 (there's a 2006 version but I figure it's still XP). How hard is this test and will I definitely need to pass the second part to get a job, too?

Thanks.

Instro

So I have an odd little problem, nothing big but slighty annoying. Ive noticed that my computer refuses to go into screensaver, it will simply just wait the allotted time and the monitor will go to standby. It will go to screensaver if I manually do it, but other than that nothing. This is Windows Vista btw.

Ive also noticed that my side bar gadgets randomly switch positions at times upon startup. Neither problem seems serious, but im assuming its a windows issue?

Puck

Banned
ElectricThunder said:
Help my fears GAF.

New PC, on it now. Had 2 BSOD's in relatively quick succession after some bouts of freezing while trying to get Firefox to play nice/in general likely with respect to Flash. (working fine now)

MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION (middle of a youtube video that finished later no prob) and what I think was REFERENCE_BY_POINTER (just on a forum getting logged back in everyplace)---last one vanished ultra fast into an auto-reboot.

Win 7 Pro 64. A friend was helping me get it all hopping earlier today but had to bounce after like an hour and it'll be about a week until he can hopefully hop by again for a much more indepth stint of tweaking and such.
Firstly, enter your bios setup when booting your PC (should be either delete or f1 while booting up). You need to look for an item that is "auto restart on system error", something similar to that. If you turn that off, then the PC will stay on the BSOD, allowing you to properly write down the messages.
If your PC bios doesn't have this setting (i believe it is standard on most new PCs) then you need to follow this to disable it in windows - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ht/automatic-restart-windows-7.htm

From the little in your post, it sounds like a video card driver issue. Try uninstalling your driver and redownloading the latest from the nvidia website.

Puck

Banned
Instro said:
So I have an odd little problem, nothing big but slighty annoying. Ive noticed that my computer refuses to go into screensaver, it will simply just wait the allotted time and the monitor will go to standby. It will go to screensaver if I manually do it, but other than that nothing. This is Windows Vista btw.
You need to go into control panel and then power options. I'm guessing it has "turn off monitor" at 15 mins or something like that which overwrites the screensavr.

olore

Puck said:
Boot it up in safe mode, once in safe mode "start -> run -> type msconfig". Then head over to the startup tab and "disable all" (you can enable them by repeating if you find this allows you to boot in normally). Restart into normal mode, if it works then you can selectively reenable startup items you know. If it doesn't, go back into safe mode and into msconfig. On the services tab, hit "hide all microsoft services" and then hit disable all. Restart and see, it should boot fine.

Thanks Puck. Will try tomorrow, it`s in the middle of the night here in Sweden.

Puck said:
Firstly, enter your bios setup when booting your PC (should be either delete or f1 while booting up). You need to look for an item that is "auto restart on system error", something similar to that. If you turn that off, then the PC will stay on the BSOD, allowing you to properly write down the messages.
If your PC bios doesn't have this setting (i believe it is standard on most new PCs) then you need to follow this to disable it in windows - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ht/automatic-restart-windows-7.htm

From the little in your post, it sounds like a video card driver issue. Try uninstalling your driver and redownloading the latest from the nvidia website.

Man, I don't know what to think precisely at this point. :(

The second error was the one that decided to be nigh instantaneous, the prior one stayed on the screen until I hit the power button.

Each one has only happened a single time...hours ago now. But, I'm paranoid as some rough Googling on the first one seems to indicate there might be a hardware issue....but even in that case most seem to be older XP issues or at least a case of it happening again and again----usually in rapid succession.

I'm tempted to abandon ship back to my old/stable junker PC as I'm somewhat terrified of something going awry with this new one...but maybe I should just hold out and IF the error(s) happen again beat a steady retreat so as to not get hosed on it? This whole thing has cast a pretty dark shadow over my day as I kind need/want this PC working reliably ASAP'ish since there's some gaming beta work I have coming up any week now.

:whimper: ARRGH

Since I made that post, there's been no other errors or problems at all...but this is uncharted territory to me.

Edit: I'm on ATI actually, a 5770. Everything seemed to load fine at the time with it?...

Oozer3993

I just got a brand new Acer Aspire laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium. It's been plugged in other than a couple times where I knocked the cord out of the computer (my biggest peeve so far, it's too easy to knock it out and the computer beeps at me everytime lol). The battery is listed at "97% (plugged in, not charging)." How do I get it to charge? Is there a threshold above which it won't charge the battery? This is my first Windows 7 machine after years with XP, and I'm still getting to know and getting used to the changes.

Easy_G

I've been running Windows 7 Beta (Build 7100) for a while now. I am having two main problems. The first is that I get this kaleidoscope effect on the desktop, in the transparent borders, in applications (like Braid which I got off Steam), and especially when taking printscreens. It is usually temporary, but still annoying. Any ideas? The computer itself is 6 years old and I am planning on building a new computer soon.

Here's a sample of what happens when I printscreen neogaf:
4347104799_eb5b10108a.jpg

The second problem has been happening in firefox for a while. Basically, whenever I right-click "save as" it freezes, and also anytime I have to access Explorer through Firefox (say to upload pictures to a website) it freezes. It works in IE, but firefox always crashes. Updated to 3.6 and it still happens.

adg1034

Easy_G said:
I've been running Windows 7 Beta (Build 7100) for a while now. I am having two main problems. The first is that I get this kaleidoscope effect on the desktop, in the transparent borders, in applications (like Braid which I got off Steam), and especially when taking printscreens. It is usually temporary, but still annoying. Any ideas? The computer itself is 6 years old and I am planning on building a new computer soon.

Here's a sample of what happens when I printscreen neogaf:
4347104799_eb5b10108a.jpg

The second problem has been happening in firefox for a while. Basically, whenever I right-click "save as" it freezes, and also anytime I have to access Explorer through Firefox (say to upload pictures to a website) it freezes. It works in IE, but firefox always crashes. Updated to 3.6 and it still happens.

Sounds like you've got a problem with your graphics hardware. Probably. If your computer is 6 years old, I'm guessing your graphics card is close to that age, too. Honestly, though, you probably need a new computer. How much RAM do you have? Processor speed? Type of video card? All of these are important.

--
Okay. I need to reinstall Windows 7. Unfortunately for me, both my burned (legit) image and the actual, official, hologram-laden disc I received directly from Microsoft are unusable (the burned disc from scratching; the MS disc from who knows what- splotches and things all over). Now, I thought about trying to get a disc image from some internet buccaneers, but they only seem to like Windows 7 Ultimate, whereas I have Professional x64. I tried using a friend's Home Premium disc, only to find that unlike Vista, Win7 (as far as I can tell) doesn't have all versions on each disc, each one accessible by a corresponding product key. In other words, the Home Premium disc only works for Home Premium, and I can't install Professional x64 from there.

(Also, since this originally was a clean install and I now want to do an in-place upgrade so I can keep my settings, user data, etc, I found out that you can only do in-place upgrades on your same version of Windows- I can't use my friend's Home Premium disc, as it spits out an installation-ending error message telling me so.)

Thoughts?

EDIT: Got it. Turns out the DigitalRiver download links are still up. Operation Download-and-Burn is begun.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/...links-ultimate-professional-and-home-premium/

Ok Techsupport GAF here goes my question.

1. I'm using a free DNS service in order to test an openfire server. When a user plugs in the DNS server they get my router page. How do I direct users to the sparkweb page as the main page for the DNS.

2. My Openfire server is being hosted on a Virtual Machine.

Thanks for you help.

Can someone enlighten me to what the difference between a CAT 6 Ethernet cable and a "Patch" cable is? Someone told me to buy CAT 6 Ethernet cables, Belden ones. I found them online, but it's $18.00 for 7ft. Link

But then someone said something about a CAT 7 cable, being a Patch cable (which I heard is the same as a normal Ethernet cable?), which I found and looked at here; for cheaper ($13) Link

I need new cables for 360-PS3-Router-Modem; so what's all this about?

jhenedo

Banned
DEAR tech GAF. I find computers very hard to work around. Recently, i deleted 100s of pictures that belonged to my bro. He still doesn't know.......yet.

IS there some way i can recover these files from my hard drive? PLEASE help :(

DonMigs85

jhenedo said:
DEAR tech GAF. I find computers very hard to work around. Recently, i deleted 100s of pictures that belonged to my bro. He still doesn't know.......yet.

IS there some way i can recover these files from my hard drive? PLEASE help :(
Try Recuva, but I don't think it'll work on the current boot volume if that's where the pics were saved.

I hope you can help me with this nagging issue:
My mother has a laptop with vista. The problem is, that it doesn't autofind wireless networks. You have to click "find out why the computer can't connect" or something. Then it finds out, that wireless is disabled and you can press a button to enable it.
Why is this necessary? Can I set it to start the service automatically?

Joe

LCD monitor crapped out! I'm trying to figure out what the cause is and try to tackle repairing it myself.

Over the past 6 months or so my monitor would get lines through it and just start "acting up". Simply turning it off then back on almost always fixed the problem. But this time I turned it off and it won't turn back on.

The green power light flashes on and off constantly while a very faint light in the upper right of the monitor pulses/flashes every couple seconds.

Any idea what the problem is? I want to go to RadioShack, get the right supplies and try fixing it.

edit: it's an Acer if that matters at all.

luiztfc

So, I bought my new pc parts, but I don't have the slightest idea on how to assemble them. I have two options: be a man and learn how to or hire someone to do it for me. I'd rather try the pc-gamer way, which begs the question: does anyone have a tutorial (preferably a video one) for assembling the pc parts on a Asus P6T?

Specs:

Core i7 920
Asus P6T
6 GB DDR3
HD5870
OCZ 700W
WD 1TB
CM 690

MojoRisin

I tried this in a thread but to no avail.

I'm running Kubuntu on my laptop right now dual booted with Mint. I have a desktop that runs XP, another laptop running XP and one more with Vista. The desktop is the only wired one, all the laptops are connected wirelessly. Now to have them talk to each other I always seem to hit a dead end. I've used Google, Ubuntu Forums and Linux help forums but to no avail. A lot of them have different and most of the time contradicting instructions on what to do. I just want basic file sharing between all workstations and maybe some sort of authentication to read/write to each other's shares. I have a ton of things stored on my desktop that I would love to access from my laptop but I've ripped my hair out trying to figure it out and I've hit dead end after dead end. I just need a simple howto on what's needed.

Not a big problem, just a weird little bug in my machine:

Every now and then, windows will make the noise it usually makes when it shuts down. And then sometimes windows will make other noises at random times, but the shutting down chime is really the only one that's worrisome. Running W7.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Yo tech support GAF. Friend got a virus and they can't even boot into safemode to clean the shit out.

Anyway antivirus programs that you can either burn to a cd or copy to a flash drive that can run before your system tries to boot from the HDD?

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Brettison said:
Yo tech support GAF. Friend got a virus and they can't even boot into safemode to clean the shit out.

Anyway antivirus programs that you can either burn to a cd or copy to a flash drive that can run before your system tries to boot from the HDD?
Google found me this page, not sure how useful they are though.

Easy_G

I've got a netbook that came preinstalled with Windows 7. I was able to successfully install XP on a separate partition and XP ran fine for a couple days. Just as I was about to get 7 working again, I ran into an error message on startup saying "Error loading operating system." I attempted to reinstall XP over that same partition and now when it restarts during the install it just hangs with a blinking cursor at startup. Any tips? I can get into the BIOS, but that's about it.

DeadTrees

MojoRisin said:
I tried this in a thread but to no avail.

I'm running Kubuntu on my laptop right now dual booted with Mint. I have a desktop that runs XP, another laptop running XP and one more with Vista. The desktop is the only wired one, all the laptops are connected wirelessly. Now to have them talk to each other I always seem to hit a dead end. I've used Google, Ubuntu Forums and Linux help forums but to no avail. A lot of them have different and most of the time contradicting instructions on what to do. I just want basic file sharing between all workstations and maybe some sort of authentication to read/write to each other's shares. I have a ton of things stored on my desktop that I would love to access from my laptop but I've ripped my hair out trying to figure it out and I've hit dead end after dead end. I just need a simple howto on what's needed.
http://master.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/?

Hello, my external HDD was kicked off a PC case because of a stupid wire layout.
It fires up and makes noise but is not picked up by Windows.

How can I test to see if this device is failed?

Post from the Steam thread:

Is anyone else's Steam program broken? It tried to update to the new client version, and in doing so it fucked itself sideways. I've tried everything. When I install Steam, (With a fresh .msi from the steam website) it will install fine. But when it tries to update itself, it gets to 27% and then crashes. I get this error: "Steam.exe (main exception): ERROR: deleted Steam.exe but the file is still there"

Apparently a lot of people are having this problem. HALP?

I've scoured the internet, and I've found about a million different way to fix it, and none of them have worked. I've uninstalled my AVG and turned off my firewall. I shut off just about everything else when trying to update it. nothing works.

tha fuck, steam.

clav

SundaySounds said:
Post from the Steam thread:

Is anyone else's Steam program broken? It tried to update to the new client version, and in doing so it fucked itself sideways. I've tried everything. When I install Steam, (With a fresh .msi from the steam website) it will install fine. But when it tries to update itself, it gets to 27% and then crashes. I get this error: "Steam.exe (main exception): ERROR: deleted Steam.exe but the file is still there"

Apparently a lot of people are having this problem. HALP?

I've scoured the internet, and I've found about a million different way to fix it, and none of them have worked. I've uninstalled my AVG and turned off my firewall. I shut off just about everything else when trying to update it. nothing works.

tha fuck, steam.
Try the following (it may delete all your local cache from your steam games. back that up first if you want to or you just don't care any more and want it to work.)

Uninstall Steam through add/remove programs. Go to the folder (Program Files\Steam) and delete the entire folder. Yes, Steam included.

Try installing it again.

Rafa=FedKilla said:
Hey I'm running on safemode right now under Vista and I was wondering if it is possible to run the DVD drivers to watch a DVD? :D

DVDs should work in safemode. You could try using VLC.

Why do you want to watch a DVD using no drivers? The video is not going to playback right. You' might even get a headache trying to watch it.

Visualante said:
Hello, my external HDD was kicked off a PC case because of a stupid wire layout.
It fires up and makes noise but is not picked up by Windows.

How can I test to see if this device is failed?

Connect everything. Fire up the computer. Check your BIOS to see if it detected it.

Easy_G said:
I've got a netbook that came preinstalled with Windows 7. I was able to successfully install XP on a separate partition and XP ran fine for a couple days. Just as I was about to get 7 working again, I ran into an error message on startup saying "Error loading operating system." I attempted to reinstall XP over that same partition and now when it restarts during the install it just hangs with a blinking cursor at startup. Any tips? I can get into the BIOS, but that's about it.
Get a Windows 7 CD/DVD/USB drive.

If you need to make a bootable disk via USB for Windows 7: http://store.microsoft.com/Help/ISO-Tool

Boot it and select repair my computer.

Okay now, hold on. So after it tries to update and fails, steam.exe eventually deletes itself (it won't let you delete it manually) So then I renamed SteamTMP.exe to Steam.exe, and then the new Steam.exe gets to 27% and gives me the error: cannot open Steamnew.exe for writing (something like that, it closed itself)

Once again, AVG is uninstalled, and firewall is off.

clav

SundaySounds said:
Okay now, hold on. So after it tries to update and fails, steam.exe eventually deletes itself (it won't let you delete it manually) So then I renamed SteamTMP.exe to Steam.exe, and then the new Steam.exe gets to 27% and gives me the error: cannot open Steamnew.exe for writing (something like that, it closed itself)

Once again, AVG is uninstalled, and firewall is off.
Try what I said and report back.

claviertekky said:
Try what I said and report back.

Nope. Same thing. Although, POI: When I uninstalled steam from the add/remove programs, it was fine, except all the .exe files that were in the folder were still there. I could not delete them. Then a minute or so later I checked back and they were gone. I have also been noticing that when I delete one of the .exe files in the folder it will go away, but if I leave the folder and come back it's right there again.

tha fuck.

mj1108

Devil Theory said:
Can someone enlighten me to what the difference between a CAT 6 Ethernet cable and a "Patch" cable is? Someone told me to buy CAT 6 Ethernet cables, Belden ones. I found them online, but it's $18.00 for 7ft. Link

But then someone said something about a CAT 7 cable, being a Patch cable (which I heard is the same as a normal Ethernet cable?), which I found and looked at here; for cheaper ($13) Link

I need new cables for 360-PS3-Router-Modem; so what's all this about?

Standard UTP ethernet cable (cat5/5e/6) = patch cable. The term patch cable is typically used to describe the short (usually 1-3 ft) cables in a wiring closet which go from a patch panel to a network switch. Just don't purchase the cable if it's described as a cross-over cable (since you don't need that). It does matter as it has to do with the way the pairs are ordered.

Don't buy the cables from Fry's. Buy them from Monoprice. http://www.monoprice.com

http://www.monoprice.com/products/search.asp?keyword=cat5e&x=0&y=0 $1.03 for a 7ft cat5e ethernet cable.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/search.asp?spcDB=10232&spcWord=Cat+6+Network+Cables&keyword=cat6 $1.52 for a 7ft cat6 ethernet cable

clav

SundaySounds said:
Nope. Same thing. Although, POI: When I uninstalled steam from the add/remove programs, it was fine, except all the .exe files that were in the folder were still there. I could not delete them. Then a minute or so later I checked back and they were gone. I have also been noticing that when I delete one of the .exe files in the folder it will go away, but if I leave the folder and come back it's right there again.

tha fuck.
Probably Vista not updating the folder at the right intervals when you're viewing. Just press F5 to see if a file you attempted to delete is gone.

Let me get back to you on that. Thinking what else you can do since I'll trust on what you told us before.

Have you tried running steam as an administrator? Right click steam -> Run as administrator.

claviertekky said:
Probably Vista not updating the folder at the right intervals when you're viewing. Just press F5 to see if a file you attempted to delete is gone.

Let me get back to you on that. Thinking what else you can do since I'll trust on what you told us before.

Have you tried running steam as an administrator? Right click steam -> Run as administrator.

Yeah, and I've tried doing a lot of things while logged into the administrator account. my regular account has admin privileges, but one site suggested going through the actual admin account. Still no luck.

Running Windows 7 64bit, btw.

Oh my god I tangled with the Vista Antispyware 2010 trojan. It was dug in like a tick. My wife actually picked it up on an Olympics website. Is there anything that you guys suggest even after you have ran you malware scan?

Didn't know this thread existed. Anyway, I posted this in the Chatroullete thread, this seems like a better place to ask.

I really want to do this, but I don't have a webcam. But today I had inspiration. I remembered that a few years ago I got that crappy USB Eyetoy camera for the PS2. Seemed like it's be possible to use as a PC webcam, so I googled around and found some instructions. Awesome, until I realized that these were not intended for 64 bit systems. So, that sucks.

Don't suppose anyone knows how to make this thing work with a 64 bit PC?

Top Bottom