• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac gets a new logo

bryehn

The negative space in the O makes the letter look 3D, which is a neat effect, but it throws off all the spacing between the other letters, and now I can't unsee it.

Kerning is something I can't unsee. Thanks fir ruining what I thought was a sweet logo redesign.

Wozman23

I went ahead and did a bit of revisionist history:

aTWHjkP.png

3WYXcmp.png

kVEDHQi.png

Y5JAE0Y.png

w2mZOgh.png

fZQYVyS.png

Planet

The negative space in the O makes the letter look 3D, which is a neat effect, but it throws off all the spacing between the other letters, and now I can't unsee it.
I saw it after about 2 seconds and it bothers me ever since. I like the new logo design, but they really should have put a little more space before that c) to honor the heavily implied circle. :(

inso05saw.gif

Neith

Banned
I like it. I don't mind the old one, but it was a tad unprofessional, even though I am not sure that means anything at all.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
I like the moon a lot more, rip

Neith

Banned
I saw it after about 2 seconds and it bothers me ever since. I like the new logo design, but they really should have put a little more space before that c) to honor the heavily implied circle. :(

inso05saw.gif

They made it just how it should be. Please take a course in graphic design or something. Your model looks completely bonkers with a gigantic space that shouldn't be there. You basically separate INS from the any physical lettering, which is just plain wrong. Seriously, they did it right. They have the money to hire people that know what they are doing.

The whole point is that there is no other part of the O. It's not supposed to be like what you have drawn in there, which actually does throw off the spacing. The circles in not implied in a physical context, and should not be accounted for with this design.

I also really like how the moon is still a part of the new design. It's really a slick logo.

Fluloco

inso05saw.gif

The circle you draw is misplaced. The radius shouldnt be at the inner side of the right moon, it should be at the external side of the right moon (and, in consequence, also touching the external side of the left moon).

Which is exactly how the logo is designed.

Neith

Banned
The more I look at this the more I think they made a great decision. This is one of the best logos I have seen from a gaming company to be honest.

It not only honors their last logo properly, and the title, but it looks modern, sexy, and slick all at the same time. Bravo whoever did this. Talented.

People saying it is minimalist obviously don't get why this is being done but whatever. It's an attractive logo for modern audiences. It's also professional without being too boring.

byropoint

The more I look at this the more I think they made a great decision. This is one of the best logos I have seen from a gaming company to be honest.

It not only honors their last logo properly, and the title, but it looks modern, sexy, and slick all at the same time. Bravo whoever did this. Talented.

People saying it is minimalist obviously don't get why this is being done but whatever. It's an attractive logo for modern audiences. It's also professional without being too boring.

Cory Schmitz worked on it, he's a member here on GAF and has done numerous logo designs for game companies.

I think this is a fantastic design, really nice idea executed very well.

This looks like prep work for an eventual F2P game announcement and the redirection into the games as service business model.

But it might just be a simple logo change.

Planet

They made it just how it should be. Please take a course in graphic design or something.
I have found my (not graphic design related) profession, thanks for the friendly advice though. That doesn't change the fact that (obviously not only) I see that logo and immidiately get the feeling that the left side is strangely crammed. A degree in arts is not mandatory for me to express that feeling.
The circle you draw is misplaced. The radius shouldnt be at the inner side of the right moon, it should be at the external side of the right moon (and, in consequence, also touching the external side of the left moon).
Like this?

inso_lolblspq.png

LOL - I don't think you thought that through.
Which is exactly how the logo is designed.
The implied shape is threedimensional in an otherwise flat logo. But the spaces were obviously arranged in a way that there are just two flat blue shapes between INS and MNIAC. And it feels wrong to me.

I can't speak for universal design correctness, just about what my eyes and my brain perceive.

Neith

Banned
I have found my (not graphic design related) profession, thanks for the friendly advice though. That doesn't change the fact that (obviously not only) I see that logo and immidiately get the feeling that the left side is strangely crammed. A degree in arts is not mandatory for me to express that feeling.

Like this?

inso_lolblspq.png

LOL - I don't think you thought that through.

The implied shape is threedimensional in an otherwise flat logo. But the spaces were obviously arranged in a way that there are just two flat blue shapes between INS and MNIAC. And it feels wrong to me.

I can't speak for universal design correctness, just about what my eyes and my brain perceive.

The idea is what you just did totally messed up the spacing. What you did made a physical presence of space between the physical lettering INS and the rest of the letters. How in the world is that supposed to look right lol? I'm not sure why you think it should look like that when I could easily draw a graph showing why your thought on that is wrong as well.

In reality you aren't supposed to draw a line on the O because nothing else exists. You are drawing something that is not supposed to be there. While the illusion of the O might look like you need to draw a line to match it up, you can't. I don't really know what is so crazy about it to be honest. The O is not like any of the other letters and it is supposed to stand out. The design was made with the illusion of the rest of the O. It was properly done because there is no other way to do it with this design. Your design would have looked ridiculous as is.

They have the correct spacing between letters, and to do so they had to make it like it is now. That is all I was saying. Your redesign would have never passed a first check design phase. The INS is completely separated.

In other words the actual placement of the O is in reality just a couple slices of the moon. It is only the illusion of the O that doesn't quite properly 100% line up with the rest of the letters, which is okay considering that illusion is a completely different font and design.

ZeoVGM

Banned
It was time to update it to something modern. The original looked like it was straight out of the early 2000s.

Looks good.

Neith

Banned
So, to summarize: I am completely wrong, you are completely right. Because it is so. Sure, will memorize, sir!

You are when your fix is to apply a complete isolation of the three starting characters of the logo lol. I'm sorry but yes that is a poor logo.

What they did was correct, and it's a great logo. You are trying to make some kind of hard edged perfect symbol for O when it's not supposed to be like that. It has nothing to do with my opinion. You don't simply space the first three letters off to balance for the portion of the O that doesn't actually exist. It's as simple as that.

The O is not an actual letter like the rest of the font. It's different, hence it does not matter if the illusion of the tilt slightly caves in to the preceding letter. This is fairly logical here.

Nozem

So, to summarize: I am completely wrong, you are completely right. Because it is so. Sure, will memorize, sir!

If you view the O as a 3D object and the rest of the letters as flat, you have to decide on which 'depth' the flat letters are compared to the O. In the original logo the flat letters are on the same depth as the back of the 3D O. That's why the left side of the O (the front side) seem closer to the 'Ins' part. This is correct, because that's how things work in 3D space.

In your redesign you aligned the 'Ins' with the front of the O and the 'mniac' with the back of the O. That's why your redesign is simply wrong.

The O is not an actual letter like the rest of the font. It's different, hence it does not matter if the illusion of the tilt slightly caves in to the preceding letter. This is fairly logical here.

I don't agree with this either. The logo makes perfect sense in 3D space.

Sande

The current moon is essentially an optical illusion. The kerning is bad for anyone who sees the 3D O. But you can't change it either because then the kerning is bad for anyone who doesn't see it that way. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Of course you can try to say that there's technically no 3D and everything is fine, but that doesn't remove the fact that the logo is going to look bad to a lot of people no matter what.

If I had to choose, I'd keep it this way rather than change the kerning. But the best option would be to redesign the moon so that it doesn't have the illusion of 3D.

Top Bottom