• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Zelda BOTW. Didn't Love It But It Taught Me A Lot

Nightbird

You would have loved Xenoblade Chronicles a lot, but that's sadly a Wii game, and we don't know yet if the sequel will come close to its brilliance.

VegiHam

OP, I want to thank you for articulating the problems I have with this game so well' because I've had difficult conveying these problems well in the past.

One point I'd like to add is that I feel at times like this game is intended to be played with someone in the room watching and yelling suggestions of stuff to try. The game would play totally differently if I played it like I played as a kid, with my little bro yelling at me to throw bombs at stuff or grabbing the controller to take over. Played alone I just fall back on tactics I know work, run from shrine to shrine and get bored.

Good writeup OP.

I'm the inverse - BotW is one of my favorite games of all time, possibly #1. I bought it at release day and am still playing it. I don't consider it flawless, but it's rare that any game can make me want to just explore, experiment, and experience the universe it's created.

I'm curious how old you are - I'm in my mid 30s and played the first Zelda back on the original NES and have played almost all of them to this point. Cutscenes to me are still a novelty at times, a break in the actual game that need to enhance the gameplay in some way. Combat can be a myriad of different things, even within the Zelda series there have been a few varieties and I find BotW's just as fun as say Arkham Asylum's, for completely different reasons.

I love strong storylines, but I enjoy something that's almost 100% story driven like The Longest Journey just as much as something where story is entirely through the environment and backstory like Metroid Prime, or something totally devoid of story that is just pure gameplay.

Oh and I found the Gannon fight amazing, as well as the run up, in BotW, but I took a different path - I first beat him with the Gerudo and Rito beasts still up, so the fight was pretty damn challenging and epic. I didn't really find the progression lacking - I'm comically overpowered with the gear and four divine abilities now. Not many stats to raise up besides defense, but I did feel progression.

I guess short version is it's interesting to read the opposite take on the game from someone who still respects it for what it is. You might want to stick to a rent for Odyssey - it should be amazing, but given your criteria it could leave you with the same feeling as Zelda.

Thanks for the info! I will say I found Hyrule Castle and Calamity Ganon hype as fuck. If the whole game felt like that...well, it probably woulda been Zelda Souls, so not my type, but still, it was closer to my style than a lot of it was. I think the more 'structured' parts of the game were my favorite, if that makes sense.

Bit of history since you asked:

I'm 27, started gaming seriously when I was 8. I had played a few games before that but I was too young to really do much in them. Unreal Tournament and Starcraft were the games that truly got me into gaming and shaped my tastes. I still prefer fast-paced, wild shooters with no 'hipfire aim penalty' mechanics and I love strategy/tactics.

From there I got really into Pokemon, wrestling games, and the occasional random game, but when I was 10, life events stopped me from being able to play games for two years. When I resumed gaming, the Xbox had just come out. We got Brute Force [ugh] and Halo [yooooo] and the latter definitely was a gamechanger. Then we got Morrowind on Xbox which remains a top 5 game for me. [That's three, wanna guess the two others? Hah] Horrible load times, but man, so much freedom in its way. I got really into Gears of War and other Xbox/360 exclusives.

I loved Oblivion, but not as much as Morrowind, and Skyrim outright disappointed me. I realized what I craved was the capacity to 'fuck with' the game, to create insane tools that let me do stuff - but while having story/structure, too. Mass Effect was great, and around 2011 I built a gaming PC. This gen, I didn't buy a new console so I went fully PC after my 360 finally died/they stopped making games for it. So that's where I am now.

I guess you could say I love freedom, but only when it's given context by restrictions. If a game is built entirely around 'do what you want', I get bored. I need structure to both deviate from and come back to, a confident 'main quest' I can ignore or pursue at my leisure. A thread to pull, as it were.

Markoman

OP, I want to thank you for articulating the problems I have with this game so well' because I've had difficult conveying these problems well in the past.

One point I'd like to add is that I feel at times like this game is intended to be played with someone in the room watching and yelling suggestions of stuff to try. The game would play totally differently if I played it like I played as a kid, with my little bro yelling at me to throw bombs at stuff or grabbing the controller to take over. Played alone I just fall back on tactics I know work, run from shrine to shrine and get bored.

Woah, this hints at an even better explanation why I couldn't get into it. I went from a short experimentation phase directly into the checklist habit, too. Later I've tried things that didn't work -like using chopped trees/crates as flying vehicles - and I finally got bored because the game didn't provide me with new tools.

So yes, I think I would've enjoyed the game more if I wasn't a experienced gamer.

Steejee

Thanks for the info! I will say I found Hyrule Castle and Calamity Ganon hype as fuck. If the whole game felt like that...well, it probably woulda been Zelda Souls, so not my type, but still, it was closer to my style than a lot of it was. I think the more 'structured' parts of the game were my favorite, if that makes sense.

I'm 27, started gaming seriously when I was 8. I had played a few games before that but I was too young to really do much in them. Unreal Tournament and Starcraft were the games that truly got me into gaming and shaped my tastes. I still prefer fast-paced, wild shooters with no 'hipfire aim penalty' mechanics and I love strategy/tactics.

From there I got really into Pokemon, wrestling games, and the occasional random game, but when I was 10, life events stopped me from being able to play games for two years. When I resumed gaming, the Xbox had just come out. We got Brute Force [ugh] and Halo [yooooo] and the latter definitely was a gamechanger. Then we got Morrowind on Xbox which remains a top 5 game for me. [That's three, wanna guess the two others? Hah] Horrible load times, but man, so much freedom in its way. I got really into Gears of War and other Xbox/360 exclusives.

I loved Oblivion, but not as much as Morrowind, and Skyrim outright disappointed me. I realized what I craved was the capacity to 'fuck with' the game, to create insane tools that let me do stuff - but while having story/structure, too. Mass Effect was great, and around 2011 I built a gaming PC. This gen, I didn't buy a new console so I went fully PC after my 360 finally died/they stopped making games for it. So that's where I am now.

Yeah, that makes perfect sense. I tend to cycle in the mood of game in I want, going from very strict linear plot heavy to open fuckabout types week to week. If you haven't played Wolfenstein: New Order, that sounds right up your alley for taste.

Yeah, that makes perfect sense. I tend to cycle in the mood of game in I want, going from very strict linear plot heavy to open fuckabout types week to week. If you haven't played Wolfenstein: New Order, that sounds right up your alley for taste.

Oh yeah, played it, Old Blood, hype for 2. I will say the ADS mechanics [aim down sights, AKA hipfire penalty] pissed me right off, didn't fit with the game at all, but otherwise loved it. Lotsa combat, lotsa story. That's how I do it.

DrLazy

I liked the lack of story, thought it had too much progression leaving late game meaningless, and combat was pretty good (but needed more enemies. So I don't agree

Turrican3

When I say I wanna feel powerful, I don't just mean that I have more Hp and do more damage.
[...]
Yeah I can understand that (I saw you reply immediately after I posted mine), totally fair stance.

Again, I do not necessarily agree with what you said (I'm the exact opposite infact for many of the points you make) but I still wish more people would be able to express their criticism the way you did. :)

Yeah I can understand that (I saw you reply immediately after I posted mine), totally fair stance.

Again, I do not necessarily agree with what you said (I'm the exact opposite infact for many of the points you make) but I still wish more people would be able to express their criticism the way you did. :)

Well thank you! And of course, I'm glad BOTW's target audience exists and is so big, because it's obvious the game was made with a lot of love. I don't have to enjoy the game itself to appreciate that.

Yeah exactly. It's about the kinaesthetic development. How it looks and -feels- to kill. I don't care if I'm ten times stronger if I don't -feel- ten times more badass.
To be honest I think this issue has bugged me on a larger scale for so long I almost forgot it bothered me. I've always kind of been irked by the idea of "increasing numbers" when it comes to combat because I feel they're an ill representation of the true variety of how people fight. Not just in the direction you mention (more powerful/experienced looking and feeling more so) but also the opposite: I just don't feel people who are crud at fighting should fight he same way as someone who's good should but with weaker results. It never made sense to me. I always hated the wizard who'd run out of spells softly tapping at someone with a stick, it should feel more desperate to me.

As an example of how much it's irked me over the years and what my own ideas are I actually included a character who's a non-combatant in one of my board-game combat prototypes and all their actions are based around getting across the sense that they're not a fighter at all.
It was funny watching the testers react to them as they'd often be genuinely surprised when the player in charge of the non-combatant started doing things like throwing shoes at them, clambering up walls, kicking them in the shins or the like rather than tackling them straight on, because why would they? Why should they? Instead of just weak versions of normal punches and kicks I'd instead filled their movelists with the kinds of daft and surprising things someone who isn't a seasoned fighter would resort to because if you're rubbish at fighting, know you are and have some sense you'll likely seek less orthodox methods to try and battle. Stuff a 'real' fighter would probably have too much pride or not be desperate enough to do :3

It's something I still feel games really fail at and I'm glad you posted this thread and we had this discussion now, because it reminded me that this had been something that'd been bothering me for so long XD
...I really need to finish that combat prototype someday ¬.¬

Wamb0wneD

OP the biggest problem is that you never played a Zelda game with stellar dungeons. Those have been the meat of the game for the last 30 years and are one of the main reasons why people love the series so much.
I think BotW is genius but I see where you're cming from. It's a shame that you couldn't experience the thing that makese these games unique though.

Well thank you! And of course, I'm glad BOTW's target audience exists and is so big, because it's obvious the game was made with a lot of love. I don't have to enjoy the game itself to appreciate that.

Man that's some levelheaded approach. Kudos to you.

Hey OP, that was a great read. I completely disagree with your overall opinion on BotW (it's one of the best games I've ever played), but you gave your thoughts and criticisms in a cohesive, respectful way and I very much commend you for that. More users on GAF could learn a thing or two about criticizing a game beyond "it's overrated". So, great work.

THE GUY

Banned
I found it mediocre. Gets boring after a few hours because you're essentially doing the same old crap. And the combat and general gameplay wasn't interesting enough to keep me hooked.

Good thing is you can basically "finish" it when you're ready to. But even that's an afterthought because the game is clearly built to serve you screwing around everywhere which leaves the ending to be underwhelming too.

It's a game for a very specific type of player.

HotHamBoy

It's difficult for me to imagine the perspective of someone who's first Nintendo Console is a Switch and who's first Zelda is BotW.

For me, all Nintendo games are judged relative to their classics and OP has missed out on so many.

When Nintendo gets their shit together I hope OP takes advatange of Virtual Console to the max.

As for the Zelda franchise, BotW is so different that it's a vastly unique experience compared to the other games of the franchise.

Personally, I think everyone should start their Zelda journey with the 2D games. A Link to the Past ideally, or A Link Between Worlds for something a little more modern. Link's Awakening remains my favorite but it's crippled by dated Game Boy control compromises.

The 3D games have never been as compelling to me for some reason, they tend to drag on way too long and BotW is the epitome of this issue as actual content is pretty much pretty rinse/repeat padding for 100+ hours. Even so, the structure of previous 3D Zeldas is much more conventional and the worlds and areas feel hand-crafted.

OP, try the older games. And for god's sake, pick up a SNES Classic mini if you can. Hell, you can get a Wii for $40 and explore the vast Virtual Console library for years, not too mention the great Nintendo Wii-exclusives. I doubt very much we'll ever see a masterpiece like Super Mario Galaxy 2 on Switch given the unique Wii controls.

I found it mediocre. Gets boring after a few hours because you're essentially doing the same old crap. And the combat and general gameplay wasn't interesting enough to keep me hooked.

Good thing is you can basically "finish" it when you're ready to. But even that's an afterthought because the game is clearly built to serve you screwing around everywhere which leaves the ending to be underwhelming too.

It's a game for a very specific type of player.

I wonder what an online BotW-like game structured like Destiny with a bigger focus on 4-Swords-like gameplay would be like.

To be honest I think this issue has bugged me on a larger scale for so long I almost forgot it bothered me. I've always kind of been irked by the idea of "increasing numbers" when it comes to combat because I feel they're an ill representation of the true variety of how people fight. Not just in the direction you mention (more powerful/experienced looking and feeling more so) but also the opposite: I just don't feel people who are crud at fighting should fight he same way as someone who's good should but with weaker results. It never made sense to me. I always hated the wizard who'd run out of spells softly tapping at someone with a stick, it should feel more desperate to me.

As an example of how much it's irked me over the years and what my own ideas are I actually included a character who's a non-combatant in one of my board-game combat prototypes and all their actions are based around getting across the sense that they're not a fighter at all.
It was funny watching the testers react to them as they'd often be genuinely surprised when the player in charge of the non-combatant started doing things like throwing shoes at them, clambering up walls, kicking them in the shins or the like rather than tackling them straight on, because why would they? Why should they? Instead of just weak versions of normal punches and kicks I'd instead filled their movelists with the kinds of daft and surprising things someone who isn't a seasoned fighter would resort to because if you're rubbish at fighting, know you are and have some sense you'll likely seek less orthodox methods to try and battle. Stuff a 'real' fighter would probably have too much pride or not be desperate enough to do :3

It's something I still feel games really fail at and I'm glad you posted this thread and we had this discussion now, because it reminded me that this had been something that'd been bothering me for so long XD
...I really need to finish that combat prototype someday ¬.¬

Hah, that sounds a lot of fun. And I agree, as someone who's pretty into martial arts and war history in real life [I could go on for hours about the differences between a scimitar and a kilij alone] it's funny just how -crazy- someone who doesn't know what they're doing might fight. It's a great topic.

OP the biggest problem is that you never played a Zelda game with stellar dungeons. Those have been the meat of the game for the last 30 years and are one of the main reasons why people love the series so much.
I think BotW is genius but I see where you're cming from. It's a shame that you couldn't experience the thing that makese these games unique though.

Man that's some levelheaded approach. Kudos to you.

Thanks! And yeah I mean, the Divine Beasts were very fun, so if the Zelda dungeon standard is even higher than that, I expect I'd be impressed.

Hey OP, that was a great read. I completely disagree with your overall opinion on BotW (it's one of the best games I've ever played), but you gave your thoughts and criticisms in a cohesive, respectful way and I very much commend you for that. More users on GAF could learn a thing or two about criticizing a game beyond "it's overrated". So, great work.

Well, thank you! And I agree. There are a lot of popular franchises on GAF I'm not a big fan of [Uncharted, Last of Us, Soulsborne] but that doesn't mean I need to knock them. Awhile back I made that mistake and someone was like 'why do that' and I was like, y'know, why indeed? There's no need to knock something just because I dislike it.

Since then I've tried to look for the positives and see even things I dislike from all perspectives, so in a way, I have GAF to thank for that.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

I guess you could say I love freedom, but only when it's given context by restrictions. If a game is built entirely around 'do what you want', I get bored. I need structure to both deviate from and come back to, a confident 'main quest' I can ignore or pursue at my leisure. A thread to pull, as it were.

Yeah this mirrors my thoughts in a lot of ways. I need a little more push and direction than was found in BotW than cool looking stuff in the distance. Great game but doesn't mesh that well with my sensibilities in terms of what I want out of s gameplay loop.

HotHamBoy

OP, the reason I recommend buying an older Nintendo console like the Wii on the cheap is because, frankly, Switch is too new to serve as one's only gateway to Nintendo games.

With Wii you can experience most of the best NES, SNES, N64, GameCube and Wii games in addition to Sega Genesis, TurboGrafx 16, etc, for less than $50, easily. And if you do a little looking into it online you can also add Game Boy and Game Boy Advance to that list.

Peltz

Fair criticisms OP. Since LttP, Zelda has usually been less about story and combat than almost every other adventure game. It's more about the sense of "discovery" and making a game world as interactive and charming as possible. Story and combat take a back seat to navigation, environmental interaction, and charm. They are still there in the background, holding the entire game world together, but merely serve as foundations for the exploration. In contrast, other games put exploration as a background foundation for story and combat (basically the opposite).

They're very "toy-like" in execution which may or may not be a good thing depending on one's tastes. Good on you though for trying something new and criticizing it fairly, cogently, and not in a mean spirited way. Given your write up, even though BotW is unlike any other Zelda games, the series is likely not for you in general. I wouldn't worry about trying the other games in the series.

Kyuur

I'm glad games are as diverse as they are so people with opposite tastes like me and OP can both get what they want!

Fair criticisms OP. Since LttP, Zelda has usually been less about story and combat than almost every other adventure game. It's more about the sense of "discovery" and making a game world as interactive and charming as possible. Story and combat take a back seat to navigation, environmental interaction, and charm. They are still there in the background, holding the entire game world together, but merely serve as foundations for the exploration. In contrast, other games put exploration as a background foundation for story and combat (basically the opposite).

They're very "toy-like" in execution which may or may not be a good thing depending on one's tastes. Good on you though for trying something new and criticizing it fairly, cogently, and not in a mean spirited way. Given your write up, even though BotW is unlike any other Zelda games, the series is likely not for you in general. I wouldn't worry about trying the other games in the series.

Maybe! I got the sense that other Zelda games aren't nearly as long, and I'm a lot more tolerant of these types of things when they're shorter.

OP, the reason I recommend buying an older Nintendo console like the Wii on the cheap is because, frankly, Switch is too new to serve as one's only gateway to Nintendo games.

With Wii you can experience most of the best NES, SNES, N64, GameCube and Wii games in addition to Sega Genesis, TurboGrafx 16, etc, for less than $50, easily. And if you do a little looking into it online you can also add Game Boy and Game Boy Advance to that list.

Problem is I don't have a TV. Switch only works for me 'cause I can use its own screen.

Ultimadrago

I spent hundreds of hours with the game and, while good (much better than Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword at least), my opinion of it is already degrading steadily over time. It's interesting you bring up this being your first Zelda, because if I wasn't so disappointed by the last two console mainline titles, I probably wouldn't like the game as much.

The lacking story elements didn't just feel simple, outside of Zora's Domain, it was sloppy. Open-world and proper narratives have been a thing for years now, so it wasn't an excuse for Breath of the Wild (or Final Fantasy XV). Melee combat still doesn't have the impact I'd like it to have, with Link flailing or doing a spin attack maybe preceding a boring dodge jump. However, the upgraded necessity of bows was outstanding, and really took prioritization by the horns. The physics made for a great moment-to-moment playground that, in the end amounts to a generally likable, but moderately forgettable experience.

All said, I still find it probably the best case scenario for Nintendo creating a modern open-world game and one of the best games this year. It could have gone much, much worse.

alvis.exe

If you want a long and involved story and large amounts of combat progression I'd say Xenoblade Chronicles 2 might be up your alley considering how much of those was in the original XC.

Wamb0wneD

Thanks! And yeah I mean, the Divine Beasts were very fun, so if the Zelda dungeon standard is even higher than that, I expect I'd be impressed.

I mean they are not worse mechanically, some of them belong to the best in the entire series in that regard imo, but they are very short in comparison, all have the same objective instead of very varying ones that use specific items to get through them, their theming is the same and the bosses kinda suck.
Just skim through this video a bit, if your eyes can handle the bad quality lol. it's one of my favourite dungeons ever made. The part where it changes the scenery is so good, the music as well. And that bossfight at the end...

Glad to hear all that OP.

I was a lapsed gamer... didn't play ps3 very much at all. And when I did, it was mainly Madden, 2K or Gran Turismo. I guess you would have called me a casual gamer.

Then I played Elder Scrolls V (hear me out) and I found out that I really enjoyed other genres of gaming that I never really thought much about. So I went back and played Uncharted, God Of War, The Last of Us, ect....Then I platinumed Bloodborne, Wolfenstein, Until Dawn.

All that to say I relate in how a game (in my case Skyrim) can open you up to new things and also teach you about what you may or may not like. That's a great thing and I'm happy you have a better understanding on what makes a game enjoyable for you. Cause I feel like that's what we are all trying to find out in some ways.

I only have Mario Kart, Zelda and Tetris on Switch and they are fun but nothing I'd recommend to you. I think waiting on Mario Super Odyssey would be the right move (though I'm not sure if it will provide the story or progression you seek like you've mentioned).

HotHamBoy

Problem is I don't have a TV. Switch only works for me 'cause I can use its own screen.

Aha, well that is def a problem.

So a New 3DS would be ideal in that case but it's still pretty expensive. All the same, it plays SNES games as well as 3DS and DS games and you won't be seeing those on Switch because of the dual-screens. Between 3DS and DS you have a monster library of some of Nintendo's greatest games, as well as a lot of excellent third party games, too.

If more Zelda interests you the N3DS has all the best traditional Zelda games: A Link to the Past, Link's Awakening, Oracle of Seasons/Ages, Ocarina of Time 3D, Majora's Mask 3D and A Link Between Worlds.

But maybe you aren't looking to drop another $150 on a last-gen handheld...

An equally alluring and far more affordable option is to get a DS Lite. You can grab one for under $50. The DS library alone is worth it, it's huge and filled with stellar games you can get for cheap. It also has some great SNES ports like Chrono Trigger and Shiren the Wanderer. But it also plays Game Boy Advance games. GBA has a lot of stone-cold classics like Metroid: Zero Mission & Metroid: Fusion, Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga and Zelda: Minish Cap, Advance Wars 1 & 2, Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow, etc, as well as excellent ports of the NES and SNES Mario games, Donkey Kong Country 1 & 2, Final Fantasy 4 5 & 6, etc. There's hundreds of amazing games between DS and GBA and most of them are cheap as hell.

TL;DR buy a DS or 3DS. It will be a godsend between the Switch dry spells.

Astral Dog

BotW has a weird sense of progression and uninteresting combat, but actually i loved the characters and interactions such as the towns, its something you understand if you have been Zelda since Ocarina of Time
If this is your first nintendo might as well give Mario odyssey a shot.

But yeah even as a bit Zelda fan, I quite disliked the progression in botw. It was....
unsatisfying.

If you want a Zelda with a good long story and progression play skyward sword if or when a switch port comes out.
Nah

Once I got the Master Sword (and leveled it up through the trials) the weapon system ceased bothering me as much.

Overall I love the game and consider it one of the best ever made.

I never thought I’d enjoy another Zelda as much as ALTTP but this is now my favorite.

juicyb

Great write up about BotW and pretty much encompasses how I feel about the Zelda series as a whole. It's nice to see someone else share a similar view on the series since I always felt like I was missing something that everyone else wasn't. The Witcher 3 is one of my all time favorite games as well.

I'm surprised at your disdain for the Souls series however, as I feel that it's lack of story is made up for by its atmosphere, combat, and boss encounters. You mention that if a game's combat is good, it can make up for the lack of story/cutscenes for you, so I was taken-aback that the Souls series didn't click with you.

I am in the process of contemplating getting a switch so I have no games to recommend for you since I am still waiting for more of them to come out. Have you played Nier:Automata on PC yet? Seems like right in your wheel house

SomTervo

I love this thread because of OP's learning experience.

A proper 'this is my opinion, the game just doesn't give me what I want'.

Thanks OP.

I understand your criticisms but don't personally feel the same way.

Mr. Robot

I like your post, and i get what you are saying with the berseker part, i like when you can just kinda go and kill every enemy in sight with the moves you have earned through your walkthrough, but on the other side, this game has given me the best gaming moment in my life, i ended up in a skull cave with brown and blue bokoblins early in the game, i was really undergeared and only had apples and a horse i stole from an enemy, so i was running and slow motioning my way, eating apples like a madman, slowly killing each one and using their own weapons to kill them, until only the archers were left that i killed by throwing clubs at them, i felt so powerful by the end.

Newboi

If there's one gameplay mechanic I wish the Zelda team changes, it would be the gyroscope reliant puzzles. Some of the most tedious and frustrating moments in BotW came from puzzles that relied on the Gyroscope.

Anyway, I really enjoyed reading the OP's thoughts on the game. I actually feel somewhat the same about BotW. I can most definitely acknowledge that it's an incredibly well built, if not revelatory, game, but it didn't really meet my expectations on story, character development, or character progression. Regardless, BotW is still an incredible achievement and I hope Nintendo builds on it.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Potentially! I don't have a PS4 though so I'm out of luck. I'm a PC gamer primarily, Switch is my first console this gen.

That’s a real shame, as Sony has been doing a great job with their story based IPs this gen so far, and Horizon is one of the best open world games I’ve ever played, from story, to combat, to visuals.

I feel very similar about BotW. I love it, but I can’t say I’m having much fun playing it where combat is concerned. Exploration is fantastic. I love roaming around and discovered wrong shit. The moment combat starts, the game falls apart for me. I’m not a fan of weapon breakage, or having such a limited move set. It doesn’t need to be DMC or God of War, but combat didn’t feel particularly engaging. Horizon doesn’t have mega combos and shit either, but the variety of enemies you face (excluding humans, which are the least fun to fight in the game), require you to change up your tactics and utilize all of your arsenal, which is significant by the end of the game.

I haven’t beaten BotW yet, but I’ve been stretching g it out to be honest. I don’t have a lot of Switch games, so I’ve been trying to make this one last. I thought your OP was well executed and you did a great job of expressing your thoughts on the game. RPGs are also my favorite genre, as are action games and action RPGs. I love the Soulsborne games, however, and Bloodborne is one of my favorite games of the generation. It’s so good.

I’m not a berserker style gamer, but I do love the feeling of progression in many RPGs. It’s super satisfying to revisit older areas with your end game character and stroll through like a boss. Outside of upgrading my Hearts and Grip meter, I never felt like I was a Hyrulian badass. Even getting the Master Sword was a disappointment in that regard when I learned of the big caveat to using it.

It’s a beautiful but flawed game. There’s some really good stuff in there that I hope a folllow up builds upon, while dropping some of the archaic stuff (please no weapon breaking in the new one, and bring back dungeons at the cost of less shrines).

ghibli99

So it is still a brilliant game that doesn't give the OP exactly what they expect out of it. I actually think that's still very high praise, and it's good that it further solidified your convictions about the types of games you enjoy and what you want to get out of them.

For me, it gave me exactly what I wanted, and what it made me realize is how shallow the vast majority of open-world games have been, disguised under glitz, long cutscenes, follow-the-line quests/exploration, and perhaps most importantly for me, BOTW removes the artificial gating of the player with things like invisible walls, impassable terrain, and gives them time to reflect and think about their journey between key events. Each play session was an adventure that I was excited to share with my friends the next day. Our journeys were all different, but we were speaking the same language.

So it is still a brilliant game that doesn't give the OP exactly what they expect out of it. I actually think that's still very high praise, and it's good that it further solidified your convictions about the types of games you enjoy and what you want to get out of them.

For me, it gave me exactly what I wanted, and what it made me realize is how shallow the vast majority of open-world games have been, disguised under glitz, long cutscenes, follow-the-line quests/exploration, and perhaps most importantly for me, BOTW removes the artificial gating of the player with things like invisible walls, impassable terrain, and gives them time to reflect and think about their journey between key events. Each play session was an adventure that I was excited to share with my friends the next day. Our journeys were all different, but we were speaking the same language.

Yeah I totally get that. I hate artificial gating too, but I prefer certain elements I didn't get here. It's a hard thing to articulate for me. One example is New Vegas. It gives you a very clear sense of where you should be going because if you wander off-track, you'll get hammered by crazy strong enemies, but it never outright stops you.

I love this thread because of OP's learning experience.

A proper 'this is my opinion, the game just doesn't give me what I want'.

Thanks OP.

I understand your criticisms but don't personally feel the same way.

Totally understand that, man! I'm so glad a lot of people love the game because it deserves all its success, even if it isn't for me.

Great write up about BotW and pretty much encompasses how I feel about the Zelda series as a whole. It's nice to see someone else share a similar view on the series since I always felt like I was missing something that everyone else wasn't. The Witcher 3 is one of my all time favorite games as well.

I'm surprised at your disdain for the Souls series however, as I feel that it's lack of story is made up for by its atmosphere, combat, and boss encounters. You mention that if a game's combat is good, it can make up for the lack of story/cutscenes for you, so I was taken-aback that the Souls series didn't click with you.

I am in the process of contemplating getting a switch so I have no games to recommend for you since I am still waiting for more of them to come out. Have you played Nier:Automata on PC yet? Seems like right in your wheel house

I don't find Souls combat very entertaining. I won't make a quality assessment, I'm not invested in calling it good or bad, but it doesn't have what makes a combat system interesting to me - combos, status effects [juggles, stuns, crowd management] and large numbers of foes at once. If a game is going to focus on fighting small numbers of foes at once, I prefer it be intensely intricate, such as Bushido Blade or, more recently, For Honor. I can't get behind the kind of combat Soulsborne has. It lacks a sort of character-based variety for me. Weapons play differently, but I don't like my whole moveset being tied to my weapon. I want it to be -me-.

I liked Nier: Automata okay! I wasn't as impressed with it as some, mostly because I'm VERY repetition-averse and N:A requires a lot of overlap, but I enjoyed Route C a lot.

The mystery of BotW holds strong and sustained my playthrough for at least 50 hours, which is no small feat for sure.

But the length and size of the game could not sustain itself, and I lost interest once I felt like I had seen it all, even though there was much of the map I had not yet explored.

After later looking in guides and walkthroughs, I found that my inclination was correct.

I remember playing Skyrim and meeting the Falmer in an underground elven ruin over 80 hours into the game. I completed the game at 270 hours and still felt like I was experiencing new things.

I need the mystery to push myself forward through games of this length. More encounters, new spaces or story beats, or enemies to fight.

BotW slaps different colors on the same enemies and calls it a day.

It's a fantastic game in so many ways, but it would have greatly benefited from more enemy variety and more unique locations to warrant its massive size and length.

Underground and underwater areas were sorely, sorely absent.

The mystery of BotW holds strong and sustained my playthrough for at least 50 hours, which is no small feat for sure.

But the length and size of the game could not sustain itself, and I lost interest once I felt like I had seen it all, even though there was much of the map I had not yet explored.

After later looking in guides and walkthroughs, I found that my inclination was correct.

I remember playing Skyrim and meeting the Falmer in an underground elven ruin over 80 hours into the game. I completed the game at 270 hours and still felt like I was experiencing new things.

I need the mystery to push myself forward through games of this length. More encounters, new spaces or story beats, or enemies to fight.

BotW slaps different colors on the same enemies and calls it a day.

It's a fantastic game in so many ways, but it would have greatly benefited from more enemy variety and more unique locations to warrant its massive size and length.

Underground and underwater areas were sorely, sorely absent.

Sadly, Skyrim was disappointing for me. I'm a big fan of Morrowind and Oblivion, but with Skyrim I wound up having problems with how constrained I was. I felt like it was an 'open world on rails', without nearly as much freedom as the last two games. It really shows I have kind of a happy medium of structure vs. freedom.

dadjumper

This is a really good and well-reasoned post. I can totally agree with all of your complaints with the game, as they all have to do with what you want out of games. Interesting read!

quabba

Well as I said this is my first Nintendo console so I don't even know if any other Zelda games are available on it yet. If they are I would definitely be willing to check them out since I feel like a lot of my problems with breath of the wild are unique to it and not the series as a whole. I might check out snake pass but in general I'm not really big on Platformers because they tend to be light on both story and combat which as I said are my two big draws to a video game.

Snake Pass does not have story or combat I don't think you will like it at all. It's methodical and requires you to have patience to master the controls.

I'm struggling to think of switch recommendations because what you described as likes are RPGS and character action games, and I don't think I have any in my switch library.

Also, well done on an critique that isn't just the idontlikething gif.

Sadly, Skyrim was disappointing for me. I'm a big fan of Morrowind and Oblivion, but with Skyrim I wound up having problems with how constrained I was. I felt like it was an 'open world on rails', without nearly as much freedom as the last two games. It really shows I have kind of a happy medium of structure vs. freedom.

I'm playing Divinity: Original Sin 2 currently and find it to be the most freedom-driven game I've ever played.

It's just incredible and a masterclass in game design.

It's got mystery and intrigue in droves, and it is just incredibly polished.

SephLuis

OP, play Ys immediately

By reading your complaints, it will fit your tastes like a glove.

Earlier Ys games are lighter on story, but you can try picking Ys 7 on Steam or Ys 8 on PS4 (on Steam soon) and I think you will like it a lot.

I also had my issues with Zelda BOTW, though mine is different from yours.

It's a well-done game but I would have preferred a much smaller world with more detail and depth. And real dungeons please, the dungeons in BotW are easily the weakest of any modern Zelda.

Lynx_7

I can see where you're coming from, OP. I have a bit of a push - pull relationship with BOTW myself. Whenever I'm playing it, I'm usually having a good time. Sometimes great, even! The world has this soothing atmosphere that coupled with the game's visuals and soft soundtrack makes for a very pleasant, almost relaxing experience. I enjoy discovering new places and just going on an adventure. Even if the rewards themselves are usually predictable and/or underwhelming, the journey itself makes it worth it for me. It's more about going through an elaborate shrine and solving its puzzles, surviving in a remote island, making my way through a combat gauntlet, or finding my way through a dark labyrinth, those are the things I find engaging as opposed to the piece of armor or Spirit whatsits that I find at the end of said activities. I like exploring and adventuring for the sake of it, and in that sense, I think BOTW delivers.

That said, it has been increasingly hard for me to invest in the game. I've put a lot of hours in BOTW and I know that if I go back to it right now, chances are I'll come out satisfied from my play session... But I just don't feel that urge to play the game or see it through to the end at all, because on a "macro" level, there's not a lot there to engage me emotionally. There's a certain "spark" missing to make me really commit to beating its main story. In past Zelda games that "spark" was usually the anticipation of a new dungeon, bosses, gadgets, and some villainous banter from time to time. BOTW has that (sans the villain part) but it feels more diluted, and the divine beasts are neat but not a good replacement for actual temples, caves, castles and fortresses. It also doesn't help that I've read multiple times about how the final confrontation is underwhelming and the conclusion is nothing to write home about (and while I never cared too much for Zelda plots, I really enjoy their climaxes and endings for the most part). So when that promise of wonders to come is diminished and I already feel like I explored the game's mechanics thoroughly, there's not much to keep me invested in the rest of the journey.

I think BOTW sets a good foundation for Nintendo to build upon, but there's a lot to improve yet. It's in my top 3 of the year, but it's also the one title I expected to enjoy more than I did. I suppose that's partially my fault for setting my expectations too high. I do like the game a lot, I just wish it had a stronger main quest. That "thread" to keep me going back to it like you mentioned in one of your posts.

VeeP

OP, you hit the nail on the head for me. I haven’t finished it yet, so my opinion might chance (in 70 hours in, have Gerudo town left and Gannon left), but overall I’m not satisfied. Exploration, the world, etc is great. But the story and the real lack of progression - like you said moves and such, are dissapointing so far. I honestly expected more since it was my first Zelda game and it had so much hype around it, so maybe that’s my fault for expecting too much. I mean, it’s a great game, but it’s not perfect. But no game is. Hopefully it’ll get a sequel this gen that really builds on it and the engine.

Neiteio

BotW is probably my overall favorite game to date — either it or RE4 — but I found your post very interesting, OP, and I appreciate your perspective. You approached this topic in a levelheaded and reasonable way, sharing what you learned in good faith. Good stuff!

Greedings

It's a well-done game but I would have preferred a much smaller world with more detail and depth. And real dungeons please, the dungeons in BotW are easily the weakest of any modern Zelda.

Spoiler: BotW isn't about the dungeons.

That's what makes it so refreshing. The game is not a rush to the next dungeon, like the rest of the series. Filled with boring crap until you get to the meat that is the dungeons. The exploration between "dungeons" (more accurately small puzzles) is the point of BotW.

Top Bottom