• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

RELIGHT
Banned
(01-18-2014, 02:31 AM)
This is right up TotaBiscuits alley.
UnluckyKate
Member
(01-18-2014, 02:31 AM)
UnluckyKate's Avatar

Originally Posted by StoopKid

I wouldn't be surprised if game journalist are next.

Game journalism already works like this :

- get invited to an event
- get food, drink, look at the game, get the PR speach
- Pr guy handles you a bag full of goodies at the end, say " hope you like it, look forward your preview/review "
- you write your review. Game is okay. 7/10. Guys call you, " so how is your review going ? - Well. I liked the game but it had flaws. Thinking about 7/10 - What ? You didn't liked it ? It's such an awesome game ! It has so many cool moments ! " etc... for 30 minutes, trying to get you to put an higher score. If you don't, he will black liste you from all this editor's events and you won't get preview nor reviews.
Iacobellis
Junior Member
(01-18-2014, 02:32 AM)
Iacobellis's Avatar

Originally Posted by zeldablue

...

Look at the Wii U.

Ahem...

Look at the PS3 and PS4.
tbm24
Member
(01-18-2014, 02:33 AM)
tbm24's Avatar

Originally Posted by Iacobellis

It comes down to this to win the console generation? Whatever happened to just being honest and producing great games?

Don't youtube commercials for older systems, what you see may shock you.
mobius006
Junior Member
(01-18-2014, 02:34 AM)

Originally Posted by UnluckyKate

Game journalism already works like this :

- get invited to an event
- get food, drink, look at the game, get the PR speach
- Pr guy handles you a bag full of goodies at the end, say " hope you like it, look forward your preview/review "
- you write your review. Game is okay. 7/10. Guys call you, " so how is your review going ? - Well. I liked the game but it had flaws. Thinking about 7/10 - What ? You didn't liked it ? It's such an awesome game ! It has so many cool moments ! " etc... for 30 minutes, trying to get you to put an higher score. If you don't, he will black liste you from all this editor's events and you won't get preview nor reviews.

Not really..
Darksol
Member
(01-18-2014, 02:34 AM)
Darksol's Avatar
Microsoft, instead of paying people to pretend they like the Xbox One, why not invest that money into new games? Great games will make me buy a system.
EuropeOG
Member
(01-18-2014, 02:34 AM)
EuropeOG's Avatar
Can't wait to see the outcome from this.

What are the guidelines for promoting Xbone?
RELIGHT
Banned
(01-18-2014, 02:35 AM)
Thread title needs to be updated: Microsoft paying you tubers to promote the Bone.
EdibleKnife
Member
(01-18-2014, 02:35 AM)
EdibleKnife's Avatar

Originally Posted by Darksol

Microsoft, instead of paying people to pretend they like the Xbox One, why not invest that money into new games? Great games will make me buy a system.

Triple A Game development has gotten so expensive that this is probably cheaper
Zornack
Member
(01-18-2014, 02:36 AM)
Zornack's Avatar

Originally Posted by spwolf

so basically they get paid if they tell us that XB1 rocks... and you have problem with that?

It is not an ad... it is paying for "review" basically.

On Amazon you get banned for that.

It is completely unethical. Imagine going to buy any product and you check reviews so see if it is good or not and buy it based on those reviews.... then later you find out it is not like advertised and that review was paid for. Is that ok? I dont think so.

I'm fine with it because I take everything a youtube personality takes with a grain of salt. They're not journalists, they're personalities. I see this the same as a company paying Kim Kardashian to tweet about a product.
RedEther
Member
(01-18-2014, 02:36 AM)
RedEther's Avatar
Max CPM
xxracerxx
Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
(01-18-2014, 02:36 AM)
xxracerxx's Avatar

Originally Posted by Pitmonkey

Guys, this is nothing new. EA was in bed with Machinima during the promotion and reveal of Battlefield 4. Need for Speed was also on the list for a bit. E3 was also another big promotional stint through them.

http://www.examiner.com/article/mach...e3-2013-videos

Ok.....and? Does that make it cool to do?

And E3 is a whole different beast than one company.
RELIGHT
Banned
(01-18-2014, 02:37 AM)
Can't wait to see which youtubers suddenly become Xboners.
Garrett 2U
Member
(01-18-2014, 02:37 AM)
Garrett 2U's Avatar
wow, smart idea
tbm24
Member
(01-18-2014, 02:37 AM)
tbm24's Avatar

Originally Posted by xxracerxx

Ok.....and? Does that make it cool to do?

And E3 is a whole different beast than one company.

No one has presented a reason why it isn't yet.
Iacobellis
Junior Member
(01-18-2014, 02:37 AM)
Iacobellis's Avatar

Originally Posted by EdibleKnife

Triple A Game development has gotten so expensive that this is probably cheaper

I thought it was staying largely the same? The huge jump was entering last generation with HD and all that.
Steverulez
Member
(01-18-2014, 02:37 AM)
Steverulez's Avatar

Originally Posted by Darksol

Microsoft, instead of paying people to pretend they like the Xbox One, why not invest that money into new games? Great games will make me buy a system.

Microsoft have released 8(?) exclusive games for Xbox One already have a rather large amount of games announced too, its pretty obvious they're already investing plenty.
MormaPope
Banned
(01-18-2014, 02:38 AM)
This is hilarious, so if someone uploads gameplay from a PS4 title, specifically says they're playing on PS4, they'll earn extra money for some sort of Xbox One advert at the beginning of the video?

Or do you have to do some sort of weird shit where you go on a diatribe about Xbox One saving your life during the video?
Uno Venova
(01-18-2014, 02:38 AM)
Uno Venova's Avatar

Originally Posted by Pitmonkey

Guys, this is nothing new. EA was in bed with Machinima during the promotion and reveal of Battlefield 4. Need for Speed was also on the list for a bit. E3 was also another big promotional stint through them.

http://www.examiner.com/article/mach...e3-2013-videos

Gross, so it's likely that instead of a transparent promotion, guys will just be talking about the XB1 suddenly and having the specific words in their titles and descriptions. I'm sure that's what these channels subscribers sign up for.
DenogginizerOS
BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
(01-18-2014, 02:38 AM)
DenogginizerOS's Avatar
Payola
ZehDon
Member
(01-18-2014, 02:38 AM)
ZehDon's Avatar


At the end of the day, I just feel sorry for Major Nelson. While he's asking for the online hate to end, the company that employs him are handing the internet fuel cans and matches.
Iacobellis
Junior Member
(01-18-2014, 02:39 AM)
Iacobellis's Avatar

Originally Posted by ZehDon



At the end of the day, I just feel sorry for Major Nelson. While he's asking for the online hate to end, the company that employs him are handing the internet fuel cans and matches.

What if Sony or Nintendo picked him up? I mean, Jeff left Sony last year, did anyone take his place?
RELIGHT
Banned
(01-18-2014, 02:39 AM)

Originally Posted by ZehDon



At the end of the day, I just feel sorry for Major Nelson. While he's asking for the online hate to end, the company that employs him are handing the internet fuel cans and matches.

You think he wants the hate to stop?
HariKari
Member
(01-18-2014, 02:40 AM)
HariKari's Avatar
Makes it easy to unsub from certain people I guess. There are channels I watch because I enjoy their viewpoint, and there are channels I watch just for the content (the game footage). If you're in the former and do this, I don't really have a reason to watch anymore.

Originally Posted by upJTboogie

Gross, so it's likely that instead of a transparent promotion, guys will just be talking about the XB1 suddenly and having the specific words in their titles and descriptions. I'm sure that's what these channels subscribers sign up for.

See LevelCaps "No really guys, XB1 BF4 is good!"
BPoole
National Association for the Advancement of Hipsters
(01-18-2014, 02:40 AM)
BPoole's Avatar

Originally Posted by RELIGHT

This is right up TotaBiscuits alley.

Sucks this happened on a Friday, now we have to wait until Monday to ehar him go off about it lol
slothmoney
Member
(01-18-2014, 02:41 AM)
slothmoney's Avatar

Originally Posted by Garrett 2U

wow, smart idea

how is this smart? it's payola.
DedValve
Banned
(01-18-2014, 02:41 AM)

Originally Posted by Sinfamy

Sellouts incoming.

I admit it, I'm a sellout. I love money.
Usobuko
Member
(01-18-2014, 02:41 AM)
Usobuko's Avatar

Originally Posted by MormaPope

This is hilarious, so if someone uploads gameplay from a PS4 title, specifically says they're playing on PS4, they'll earn extra money for some sort of Xbox One advert at the beginning of the video?

Or do you have to do some sort of weird shit where you go on a diatribe about Xbox One saving your life during the video?

Probably the latter. I doubt the video has the option to not be fully dedicated to Xbox One.
Darksol
Member
(01-18-2014, 02:42 AM)
Darksol's Avatar

Originally Posted by Steverulez

Microsoft have released 8(?) exclusive games for Xbox One already have a rather large amount of games announced too, its pretty obvious they're already investing plenty.

If history repeats itself for a third time, I highly expect exclusives to taper off in a year or two as all money is diverted to yearly iterations of FPS.
Freeman
Banned
(01-18-2014, 02:42 AM)
Thinking about this, it seems like this has the opposite effect, the news of MS having to pay people to have a positive view of the game will spread much further and do more damage than what promoting it on youtube could offset.
RELIGHT
Banned
(01-18-2014, 02:42 AM)
Soooooo many impending unsubs. It will be glorious.
Salex_
Member
(01-18-2014, 02:43 AM)
Salex_'s Avatar
I thought they were over-delivering on value? Youtubers shouldn't have to be brided to say good things about the product. Word of mouth and all of that advertising that I couldn't escape from should have been enough.
antitrop
does not much care for
anti-shooter bias
(01-18-2014, 02:43 AM)
antitrop's Avatar
This is absolutely disgusting. Anyone that takes this is automatically on the shitlist.

But it's not like there's any game content on Machinima that I'm actually interested in, anyway.
Orayn
Member
(01-18-2014, 02:43 AM)
Orayn's Avatar

Originally Posted by antitrop

This is absolutely disgusting. Anyone that takes this is automatically on the shitlist.

But how will you know who takes it~~

Well, apart from people who are with Machinima and suddenly become really enthusiastic about the Xbox One if they seemed neutral or were down on it before.
Duxxy3
Member
(01-18-2014, 02:43 AM)
Duxxy3's Avatar
Fuel them fires of hate Microsoft!

They make it so easy to dislike them.
Gangxxter
Member
(01-18-2014, 02:44 AM)
Gangxxter's Avatar
Nothing wrong with that campaign IF all those videos are clearly marked as "promotion".
But I guess the outcome will be that suddenly a whole bunch of "positive opinion" videos about the XB1 will pop up.
It's sad when you can't tell the difference between paid marketing and honest opinion.
EdibleKnife
Member
(01-18-2014, 02:44 AM)
EdibleKnife's Avatar

Originally Posted by Iacobellis

I thought it was staying largely the same? The huge jump was entering last generation with HD and all that.

Possibly but it seems every month there's another tale about a 'popular' game that barely meets expected sales numbers. We'll see how this gen goes but I expect more of these strange promotion strategies.
Slayer-33
Liverpool-2
(01-18-2014, 02:44 AM)
Slayer-33's Avatar
Salt levels increasing exponentially LOL
RELIGHT
Banned
(01-18-2014, 02:45 AM)
Man dat mindshare control.
HariKari
Member
(01-18-2014, 02:45 AM)
HariKari's Avatar

Originally Posted by LQX

Really boggles my mind as to why people would have problem with this. How is it different from say MS, Sony or even publishers paying to advertise on a site like GiantBomb or IGN?


Originally Posted by Gangxxter

Nothing wrong with that campaign IF all those videos are clearly marked as "promotion".
But I guess the outcome will be that suddenly a whole bunch of "positive opinion" videos about the XB1 will pop up.
It's sad when you can't tell the difference between paid marketing and honest opinion.

There is a difference between buying ad space and buying positive mention. One is legal, the other is an astroturfing grey area. And pathetic.
LQX
Remember, he is Canadian.
(01-18-2014, 02:45 AM)
LQX's Avatar
Really boggles my mind as to why people would have problem with this. How is it different from say MS, Sony or even publishers paying to advertise on a site like GiantBomb or IGN?
Syf
Member
(01-18-2014, 02:46 AM)
Syf's Avatar
Wow. That's pretty clever by Microsoft, but I could see it backfiring.
Last edited by Syf; 01-19-2014 at 05:34 PM.
Orayn
Member
(01-18-2014, 02:47 AM)
Orayn's Avatar

Originally Posted by LQX

Really boggles my mind as to why people would have problem with this. How is it different from say MS, Sony or even publishers paying to advertise on a site like GiantBomb or IGN?

Because it's not buying ad space on a site, it's the YouTube equivalent of payola.
JerC
Junior Member
(01-18-2014, 02:47 AM)
JerC's Avatar

Originally Posted by Iacobellis

What if Sony or Nintendo picked him up? I mean, Jeff left Sony last year, did anyone take his place?

Hopefully not. Sony's PR is tolerable right now. No need to make it worse.
Iacobellis
Junior Member
(01-18-2014, 02:47 AM)
Iacobellis's Avatar

Originally Posted by EdibleKnife

Possibly but it seems every month there's another tale about a 'popular' game that barely meets expected sales numbers. We'll see how this gen goes but I expect more of these strange promotion strategies.

Indies are on the rise, I think they may be able to thrive.
Uncle Rupee
Banned
(01-18-2014, 02:47 AM)
Uncle Rupee's Avatar

Originally Posted by LQX

Really boggles my mind as to why people would have problem with this. How is it different from say MS, Sony or even publishers paying to advertise on a site like GiantBomb or IGN?

??? Microsoft can put up ads on YouTube videos all they want, but it's another thing entirely to pay people to promote it themselves under the guise of a vlog. How can you not see the problem?
RK9039
Member
(01-18-2014, 02:47 AM)
RK9039's Avatar
MS buy me an XboxOne, I'll pay you back later.
RELIGHT
Banned
(01-18-2014, 02:48 AM)

Originally Posted by LQX

Really boggles my mind as to why people would have problem with this. How is it different from say MS, Sony or even publishers paying to advertise on a site like GiantBomb or IGN?

Christ lol
EdibleKnife
Member
(01-18-2014, 02:48 AM)
EdibleKnife's Avatar

Originally Posted by Iacobellis

Indies are on the rise, I think they may be able to thrive.

I'm more than sure they will. Still worried about some of the directions the big guys are taking though.

Thread Tools