• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000 |OT| In the Grim Darkness of the Community Forum There Is Only War

Tyranids: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/05/21/warhammer-40000-faction-focus-tyranids/

40kFFTyranidsSwarmlord.jpg

Cooooool!

Fou-Lu

Tyranids seem to have made out like bandits in the new edition. Pleasing for me as they are the only army I haven't completely sold off.

How does Space Marine Scouts typically loaded out? Picked some up to use for Shadow Wars and want to be able to use them in regular 40k too. Snipers for example, I assume the whole squad has to be a sniper squad if you go that route? To what extent can weapons be mixed. I did up a regular 5 man scout squad, but also got a sniper scout box, not sure I need or want to build entire sniper squad though, or If I can have a couple mixed in?

How does Space Marine Scouts typically loaded out? Picked some up to use for Shadow Wars and want to be able to use them in regular 40k too. Snipers for example, I assume the whole squad has to be a sniper squad if you go that route? To what extent can weapons be mixed. I did up a regular 5 man scout squad, but also got a sniper scout box, not sure I need or want to build entire sniper squad though, or If I can have a couple mixed in?

All that we know can change in a month about 40k, so I have no idea on that route.

My Shadow War scouts are WYSIWYG

IMG_8993.jpg

Traditionally though, I cannot help but see scouts as all snipers!

I like my close in sneaky grunts over sniper squads, I just never liked the idea of a whole team of snipers... one or two in a squad maybe, but don't think that's allowed in regular 40k

It's Cities of Death today: https://www.warhammer-community.com...th-may22gw-homepage-post-4gw-homepage-post-4/
Battles in the sprawling gothic hives of the Imperium provide many of the most iconic images of war in the 41st Millennium. To recreate battles like this in the new edition, you need look no further than the new Warhammer 40,000‘s Advanced Rules for Cities of Death. These rules, like the Stronghold Assault rules we’ve seen already, are an optional add-on to theme your battles and add more variety to your games. In these types of games, certain units will thrive, while others will find their paths across the battlefield more limited.

So, speaking of cities… let’s chat about ruins.

The crumbling masonry of once-proud Imperial architecture has been a staple of Warhammer 40,000 battlefields for a while now. In the new Warhammer 40,000, they still will be, but the way they interact with the game will be a little different. Their impact takes the form of bonuses for units with certain keywords, and limitations for others.

Infantry are the big winners here. They alone have the flexibility and dexterity to move easily between levels of a building, over ruined walls, through doors, hatches and windows, as well as taking advantage of holes blasted in the ruins themselves. They are also the only units that benefit from cover naturally, just for being in a ruin. Other units (monsters, vehicles etc…) will need to actually be obscured to gain any bonus.

In Cities of Death games, these bonuses get even better – if a unit does not move, its cover bonus from being in a ruin is increased from a +1 to their Armour Save to +2, representing the unit digging into cover and fortifying their position. This can make even a humble Guardsman squad difficult to shift, and a power armoured unit all but invulnerable.

It’s not just Infantry though, flying units will do very well in Cities of Death games, as they are able to leap from rooftop to rooftop easily. Some of these units will be Infantry as well! Imagine facing an entire army of Night Lords Raptors in the twisting streets of a ruined hive, and you start to understand what terror means…

It’s not going all Infantry’s way of course. There are solutions to dug-in enemies. Grenades for example. Any Grenade thrown at a unit in ruins will always count as having rolled the maximum number of shots (6, in the case of a frag grenade) and can reroll to wound thanks to the “Fire in the Hole” mission rule.

One last thing Cities of Death gets us is a new selection of Stratagems. One of our favourites is Sewer Rat, which lets you set up a sneaky unit of subterranean infiltrators in the enemy’s face during deployment or right on an objective.

New40kCitiesofDeathSeverRat-500x269.jpg

One war zone where the narrative certainly calls for Cities of Death battles is Ultramar. At the end of the Gathering Storm, we already saw the forces of the Traitor Legions launch their attack on the Ultramarines utopian* worlds. Now the great cities of every planet are either surrounded or active battlefields.

With his home under siege, you better believe that the liberation of the 500 Worlds** are high on the list for Guilliman’s Indomitus Crusade…

*Well, by Imperial standards anyway.
**Being in stasis for 10,000 years, it probably only feels like yesterday to Guilliman that he liberated them from the Traitor Legions the first time…

manfestival

So cover saves are gone and are just modifiers to armor saves. Pretty nice and saves time. I like how everything is going. Smarter and faster gaming. Most things make sense as well. Give it to me now. Give me 8th!!!

So cover saves are gone and are just modifiers to armor saves. Pretty nice and saves time. I like how everything is going. Smarter and faster gaming. Most things make sense as well. Give it to me now. Give me 8th!!!

Yup. Cover saves were always annoying to deal with, in the sense of the time they consumed.

Primaris Space Marines:
Fresh from the forges of Mars, and ready to bleed in defence of the Imperium, the Primaris Space Marines have come tooled for war. The bolt rifle-wielding Intercessors are the mainstay of the force. Alongside them march plasma-toting Hellblasters, providing deadly fire-support. And dropping in from orbit are Inceptors with the short range fury of their twin assault bolters.

Intercessor1.jpg
Intercessor2.jpg
Helblaster1.jpg
Inceptor1.jpg

Leading these new warriors are the champions of the Primaris Space Marines: the inspiring presence of the Lieutenants, the banner-carrying Ancients, and the commander of the force, a Captain clad in new Gravis armour.

Lieutenant1.jpg
Lieutenant2.jpg
Ancient1.jpg
Captain1.jpg

Death Guard:
First up, a unit of Plague Marines. The archetypal unit of the XIV Legion swollen with the raw power of decay, these form of the core of any Death Guard force. Nurgle fans will also be pleased to see a shambling plague host represented by the repugnant and varied Poxwalkers, each draped in scraps of clothing from their former lives. There is a new vehicle on offer too – the Foetid Bloat-drone, a floating Daemon Engine that hunts its prey with a malign intelligence.

PlaugueGuard1.jpg
Drone1.jpg
Poxwalkers1.jpg

Rounding off the Death Guard are their own leaders, including a huge new Lord of Contagion, clad in warped Cataphractii Terminator plate and wielding one of the most brutal looking axes we’ve ever seen. Alongside him is the Noxious Blightbringer, a dark reflection of the noble Legion banner bearers of old, who carries a cursed plague bell that tolls with the death knell of his victims. Last but not least is the Malignant Plaguecaster – one of the pestilent sorcerers of this pox-ridden Legion.

LordofContagion1.jpg
Blightbringer1.jpg
Plaguecaster1.jpg

Rulebook reaction video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDI-yRtnss0

Rules:
A complete set of datasheets to field both these Death Guard and Primaris Space Marines armies are included in two separate booklets inside the box. You’ll also find a host of new background information on the two forces and on the Plague Wars being fought in Ultramar.

PrimarisBook.jpg
DeathGuardBook.jpg

And of course, there’s the new Warhammer 40,000 book itself. This 280-page, hardback tome is included in the Dark Imperium box and is also available separately. This book is your guide to the new edition and contains an extensive exploration of the Warhammer 40,000 setting. This includes some pretty major advancements in the story for every faction in the galaxy, not least of which are the arrival of the Great Rift, the rise of Chaos, and the launching of the Indomitus Crusade.

And rules. Lots of rules. All the rules you need to wage the bloodiest of wars in the far future. Alongside the core rules for the game, there are missions, full guidelines for the 3 ways to play (open, narrative and matched) and advanced rules to represent the myriad war zones of the far future, including all the rules you need to play games of Cities of Death, Planetstrike, Stronghold Assault and Death from the Skies.

DarkImpReleaseRulebook-1.jpg
40kSpread1.jpg
40kSpread3.jpg
40kSpread4.jpg

This is easily the most complete Warhammer 40,000 book to date.

Also, while we’re on the subject of rules, we’ve some great news – the core rules for Warhammer 40,000 will be available for free! You’ll be able to download the Battle Primer PDF on games-workshop.com and warhammer40000.com from June 17th.

Current players will probably still want to pick up either the full Warhammer 40,000 book or the Dark Imperium box set though, as this gets you the Advanced Rules sections, loads more missions, as well as stratagems for open, narrative and matched play and of course, over 100 pages of new lore and background on the shape of the galaxy in the new Warhammer 40,000.

Okay. Where are we? Awesome box set? Check. Epic miniatures? Check. Greatest Warhammer 40,000 book ever? Check. What else…

IndexBookSpreadv2.jpg

Of course! The Indexes! These five books are the most requested things from you guys and gals out there; all of you wanted to be able to use your army with the new edition from day one. No problem.

Between them, these five softback Index books provide rules for every single Warhammer 40,000 Citadel Miniature we sell. They are broken down into themed books: 2 for the Imperium, 1 for the forces of Chaos, and 2 for the xenos races of the galaxy.

To start gaming with your existing army, you just need the box set or the Warhammer 40,000 book and whichever Index book has their datasheets and you’re good to go.

Oh, and don’t worry, this doesn’t mean Orks and Tyranids are now on the same side, it just means they share a book for the moment. In the future, they’ll get their own dedicated codexes.

Tactical Objectives, Command Dice, Wound Trackers, Combat Gauge, Sector Imperialis Objectives:
Last up, for you Warhammer 40,000 fiction fans out there, we have the Dark Imperium novel from Guy Haley. This will be the first Black Library book (of many), set after the events of the Gathering Storm and starring the Primarch Roboute Guilliman, the new Primaris Space Marines and their mortal (and in some cases immortal) enemies, the Death Guard.

DarkImpBook.jpg
Box art:

Maledict

The sorcerer looks silly, but the rest of the deathguard are fantastic. The primaries space marines are just more smurfs, I really don't get them at all.

Lore question - do the original traitor legions recruit new marines from the worlds inside the warp

Maledict

I was more referring to the fact that had you shown me those models in isolation I wouldn't have been able to tell you they were anything new... ;-). I know lots of people love space marines, but they are the ultimate boring faction for me.

Lore question - do the original traitor legions recruit new marines from the worlds inside the warp

AFAIK they are able to recruit new marines from worlds in the Eye of Terror and outside of it too (willing followers, slaves, kidnapped children etc), and they're known to steal other marines' gene-seed to use in the process (due to their own gene-seed being so corrupted). In some cases they create clones too, and defectors from loyalist chapters have also joined their ranks.

Forge World has some 'Index' books coming too: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/05/23/forge-world-and-the-new-warhammer-40000/
Much like Citadel Miniatures, rules for the extensive Warhammer 40,000 Forge World range will be made available in a series of Index books. The first two of these will be available alongside the new edition of Warhammer 40,000, available to pre-order on the 3rd of June. These first two books will cover the forces of the Adeptus Astartes and their traitorous kin.

FWIndex1.jpg
FWIndex2.jpg

Rules for all the rest of the Warhammer 40,000 Forge World range, including the myriad xenos races of the galaxy and the massed forces of the Astra Militarum and their accompanying Imperial Agents, will all be appearing in additional Index books that set to be released before the end of June. Every single Warhammer 40,000 miniature that Forge World make today will be covered, as well as a few classic ones. Also included are rules for a few characters who do not yet have a model, such as some heroes and villains of the Badab Wars. On top of that, several units will be made available to factions that never previously had access to them, and on Wednesday this week, we’ll be taking a look at one of them when we see our first Forge World datasheet for the new edition.

Gravis armor = new terminator armor?

Set looks great. I have a few spare Blood Angel banners for that primaris standard bearer too.

Looks like my SW chaos team my very well be Nurgle themed thanks to this boxed set.

Gravis armor = new terminator armor?

Set looks great. I have a few spare Blood Angel banners for that primaris standard bearer too.

Looks like my SW chaos team my very well be Nurgle themed thanks to this boxed set.
It has a power pack so I am not sure if it would be the new Terminator armour. Perhaps it confers something special beyond the save? Like more wounds / higher invul? Protection from multiple wounding?

EYEL1NER

Those Necron dice are hawt. Nice to see them making faction-specific dice now; it didn't makes sense for them to let Chessex rake in all the money with custom dice while GW made all kinds of accessories except faction dice. Don't get me wrong though, I like my Ork dice a lot and I always planned on getting some Space Wolf dice.

Gotta get the rulebook though when it comes out so I can read about what advancements in the story have been made and what other lore they include. Seems light on pages though, for it being essentially being the contents of what they split into three different books for 7th. Hope there is a ton of lore, since I don't really need the rules at all. Maybe I'll play it before 9th comes out though, so it will still be handy to have.

I finished Straight Silver last week and started Sabbat Martyr. My daughter had some medical appointments so I was able to crush Straight Silver quickly. I initially didn't think I was going to like the trench warfare of Silver but damn if Abnett didn't pull me in. With the ability he has to switch gears from book-to-book and write about such wildly different scenarios and types of battles, it makes me want to read some of his comics, like GotG, to see what he does with them. I also want to search out some old interviews to see if he talks about his research process; I figure he must do a ton of it.

Leunam

Really get the sense from that box that all Primaris armies are definitely a possibility or even viable. Just lacking heavy weapons.

UK RRPs:
WARHAMMER 40000: DARK IMPERIUM (ENGLISH) £95.00
WARHAMMER 40000 RULEBOOK (ENGLISH) £35.00
WH40K: TACTICAL OBJECTIVE CARDS (ENG) £8.00
SECTOR IMPERIALIS: OBJECTIVES £20.00
WARHAMMER 40000: COMMAND DICE £12.50
WARHAMMER 40000: WOUND TRACKERS £8.00
INDEX: XENOS 1 (ENGLISH) £15.00
INDEX: XENOS 2 (ENGLISH) £15.00
INDEX: CHAOS (ENGLISH) £15.00
INDEX: IMPERIUM 1 (ENGLISH) £15.00
INDEX: IMPERIUM 2 (ENGLISH) £15.00
DARK IMPERIUM NOVEL (HB) £18.00
WARHAMMER 40000: COMBAT GAUGE £6.00
CITADEL DEATH GUARD GREEN SPRAY £11.75

Gravis armor looks to be like an advanced threat level of the new power armor. Im gonna guess it adds another wound and gives them a save against psychic attacks.

Gravis literally means serious. lol.

Primaris Terminator armor I bet will have something similar to the upper shell of the plastic imperial knight

So maby 40€ for the rulebook and 20€ per Index book. Sounds pretty reasonable.

Think im gonna gamble a little and order some models from the UK before eventual low stock and heavier preasure on the online stores.

The box set is a bit of a bargain considering it comes with the hardback rulebook, will probably be able to get 15-20% off too from independent retailers :D

Going to be an expensive June...

Dunno why I thought they were releasing army rules for free aka warscrolls when AoS dropped. Thankfully my orks and Nids are together in one xenon book, and I don't play necrons or elder so don't need the other book.

Nazo

Welp. I can't say no to that box. It has literally everything I could want in it (as someone who doesn't yet play the table top). Really love those Deathgaurd models. They're going to be perfect for my Dead Space themed homebrew warband (still need to think of a color scheme for them though).

So maby 40€ for the rulebook and 20€ per Index book. Sounds pretty reasonable.

Think im gonna gamble a little and order some models from the UK before eventual low stock and heavier preasure on the online stores.

Yeah it seems like a reasonable price considering the current price of codixes. Theyre really going all in on it being easy to pick up.

Geist-

REMINDER:

It is reported that everything in the starter kit is "snap fit" style 3-5 part models.

So people looking to do conversion work, keep that in mind.

Ya, it's what stopping me from getting that starter set. I really like all of the Primaris stuff, even the jump jet guys, but I'm not a fan of the poses. Going to have to wait for the Start Collecting Primaris Marines box.

Top Bottom