• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT6| We Only Build in Black. And Sometimes Very Dark Grey.

Plum

An Empire State Building as tall, or taller, than the Saturn V would be amazing. The Eiffel Tower is the only tall Expert Building IIRC, another wide one would be slightly disappointing.

Osahi

An Empire State Building as tall, or taller, than the Saturn V would be amazing. The Eiffel Tower is the only tall Expert Building IIRC, another wide one would be slightly disappointing.

Would also be a very repetituous build. But I guess most expert landmarks are :p

Plum

Would also be a very repetituous build. But I guess most expert landmarks are :p

Yeah, definitely. Not every building can be the Sydney Opera House, most would be very repetitive to build. An accurate to-scale ESB would be worth it though.

Plum

Would Lego do something like the Colosseum considering what it was used for back in Roman times? I don't know what their policy on such a thing would be.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Some pretty early rumors, but worth mentioning.

UCS Falcon is looking more like $800 than $700, but we'll know definitively in 12 days.

70922 Wayne Manor, from the LEGO Batman Movie, is coming sooner than expected, As soon as October possibly, and it's looking like a $350 set.

Also a surprise is a large Creator Expert set, number 10256, which also looks to be around $350. Is this the next modular, or something else...?

More and more expensive sets.

ghostmind

After thinking about it, what I would like to see is another big Jamie D2C train set. We are due one of these, and the higher price point would really let him flesh it out.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
More and more expensive sets.

If they do the large sets as exclusive to Lego stores or Lego online, and they have the logistics nailed to be able to do controlled batches and monitor demand to avoid overstocks, then they’d be crazy not to tap into AFOLs more with larger and fancier sets, although there is a limit to what we can afford to spend in a year

UCS Falcon is looking more like $800 than $700, but we'll know definitively in 12 days.

70922 Wayne Manor, from the LEGO Batman Movie, is coming sooner than expected, As soon as October possibly, and it's looking like a $350 set.

$800
$$$$$$$$$$hit
$weatn
$o broke
$(

Welp, time to keep reselling old sets, anyone want my VW blue beetle :p

Taisaijin

After thinking about it, what I would like to see is another big Jamie D2C train set. We are due one of these, and the higher price point would really let him flesh it out.

You’re speaking my language. Still wish I had an EN but that retired just before the end of my dark age..

ninge

Ninjago City came this morning! That was much quicker than the estimated shipping date from Lego - yay :)

Sadly I have to go to Germany for 4 days for work... booo :(

In better news, our Lego room is fully decorated and we have made some really good progress with the new layout. Train track is down, monorail track has been blocked out and the upper and lower tiers of the mondulars are in place. Ninjago city has the perfect spot to tie the upper and lower levels together and the monorail will loop around it (going thru a tunnel behind it on two sides!).

There is a ton of landscaping to be done, but it's already looking great and we've made a lot more room without actually needing to move house just for the Lego :p

I will post some updated pictures when I get back from Cologne!

Plum

Well, they did a lot of roman soldiers etc in the minifig series. But I guess the proper location is a little more problematic. Meanwhile, what they do in Star Wars sets...

I guess Roman Soldiers are just soldiers like Knights are. The Colosseum (correct me if I'm wrong, history buffs) had innocent people being slaughtered for sport.

As for Star Wars, it is 'fantasy violence.'
It also nets TLG a lot of money

JANG reviews Ninjago City:

https://youtu.be/LPa8MrlrGNQ

Believe the hype.

I've seen enough of this, I don't want to get spoiled on all the details. Will watch once I've built it.

As for more huge sets, I just checked the ten biggest sets. With the exception of OG MF and Taj Mahal, all of them are in production now, and with the new MF it will basically be 9/10. Also, that doesn't count smaller HUGE sets like the Minecraft mountain, the Minecraft village, Sea Cow, Sydney Opera House, the Porsche technic set, all kinds of premium motorized technic sets overall, Bat Cave, Hoth, or the four regular modulars, or Temple of Airjitzu, or the PotC ship, or the Carousel. All released in the last few years.

I've kind of been dabbling with trains though, so if we get another D2C train, I might hop on. Literally no space for it and I was saving the monorail for that role once I get a better display area, but nothing says I can't have two train loops.

ghostmind

I've seen enough of this, I don't want to get spoiled on all the details. Will watch once I've built it.

As for more huge sets, I just checked the ten biggest sets. With the exception of OG MF and Taj Mahal, all of them are in production now, and with the new MF it will basically be 9/10. Also, that doesn't count smaller HUGE sets like the Minecraft mountain, the Minecraft village, Sea Cow, Sydney Opera House, the Porsche technic set, all kinds of premium motorized technic sets overall, Bat Cave, Hoth, or the four regular modulars, or Temple of Airjitzu, or the PotC ship, or the Carousel. All released in the last few years.

I've kind of been dabbling with trains though, so if we get another D2C train, I might hop on. Literally no space for it and I was saving the monorail for that role once I get a better display area, but nothing says I can't have two train loops.

Confession-time, I only watched the intro and the end for his final thoughts (which are full of praise for this set).

This one is special, and I don't want to spoil it for myself any further.

I was planning on picking up Ninjago City after the UCS Falcon, but I don't know if I can wait that long.

My Ninjago City has a couple of the little 1x2 flat plates missing... :(

It looks an area with a bit of modularity so it should be easy to get to their locations once I sort it out though.

Servbot24

Banned
Had my finger over the Ninjago City purchase

Closed window and put the money in my student loans instead

It's a tough world, GAF, but we fight on

R-User!

Can the numbering be an indication of what it is?

Don't think they would do another larger-than-usual modular, especially not when they don't have anything to celebrate regarding the series. And 350 would mean a 6000 piece set at modular price per piece ratio.

My bet ia on an expert building. And a huge one. Colosseum? Golden Gate Bridge? Notre Dame? (Well, last one is off the table sadly)

Wasn't the last set that was close to 6,000 pieces Taj Majal? Perhaps LEGO will revisit that too. They've revisited so much lately I wouldn't be surprised. But I'd rather it be a skyscraper!

Well, they did a lot of roman soldiers etc in the minifig series. But I guess the proper location is a little more problematic. Meanwhile, what they do in Star Wars sets...
I just recently bought a set showing the pivotal moment when Qui Gon Jinn dies via a stab to the gut, and Maul is cut in half

You know, for the kids.

DonShula

Had my finger over the Ninjago City purchase

Closed window and put the money in my student loans instead

It's a tough world, GAF, but we fight on

I walked out of the Lego Store today without it.

After my wife said "well are you going to get it?"

I still don't know why I didn't get it. Something something Old Fishing Store and Force Friday.

Did the original UCS Falcon ever get price drops while it was available (like 10-20% off offers, or double/triple VIP points back)? And when was it relatively easy to find when it was in production?

I'm dont feel the need for the NEW Falcon right away (and i could use more time to save up for it, since im planning on moving soon), and if theres a chance of getting it any cheaper or getting more VIP points I'd definitely wait for that, unless itll be impossible to find after it comes out.

I am taking zero chances on Falcon. I can wait for everything else, but that one has a huge scalper target on it, so I expect it to be very elusive for some time.

I am taking zero chances on Falcon. I can wait for everything else, but that one has a huge scalper target on it, so I expect it to be very elusive for some time.
Will it be exclusive to LEGO Stores and their website?

I've got 2 stores within driving distance of me now, but where I'm moving the nearest one will be at least 3 hours away. :/

Will it be exclusive to LEGO Stores and their website?

I've got 2 stores within driving distance of me now, but where I'm moving the nearest one will be at least 3 hours away. :/

Will be exclusive for the first several months most likely, and early VIP release on September 14th. Planning to take the day off.
Go to class, get out, drive an hour to the LEGO store. Should get there about half an hour after opening. I pray they don't sell out that quickly.

And on different subject, just finished bag 10 of Ninjago City, which finishes off the second floor. This thing is awesome so far, but already I know I cannot display with it my other modulars. The bookcase is the exact depth of a baseplate, and this has so many small things hanging over the edge, I won't be able to close the doors. And I haven't even put the cherry blossom tree on yet.

About when should we hear which stores are gonna be open at midnight for Force Friday? Sorry if this is a dumb question its jsut gonna be my first force Friday and im really excited to pick up the new sets.

ghostmind

About when should we hear which stores are gonna be open at midnight for Force Friday? Sorry if this is a dumb question its jsut gonna be my first force Friday and im really excited to pick up the new sets.

Last time it was select TRU's, and Walmarts that remembered to put product out at midnight,

This year, unless there is a killer promo, I'm going to just hit up the LEGO Store and S@H since the 2x VIP and Shoretrooper promo is there.

Last time it was select TRU's, and Walmarts that remembered to put product out at midnight,

This year, unless there is a killer promo, I'm going to just hit up the LEGO Store and S@H since the 2x VIP and Shoretrooper promo is there.

did toys r us in the past put it on there site or was it a more call your store and find out kind of deal?

mclem

LEGO going all in on these super high dollar sets now. Seems only a few years ago there may be 1-2 in the $300+ range per year, now it's practically every month something huge is being released.

Clearly this year is an experiment to see how much they can realistically get out of the average AFOL in a year!

I'm sort of hoping next year's quieter just to allow a bit of time to, well, catch up!

mclem

Is there something else named Piggly Wiggly? No really is there, because i'm intrigued now and what it could be.
please be a foot massage parlor

I thought it was a member of the cast of In The Night Garden.

It's definitely the right *sort* of name.

Edit: Ah, that's Igglepiggle.

gBJREah.jpg

Just_one

I really hope lego goes back to the normal 150€ modulars next year. Assembly square was a special date (10th year anniversary) no need to make that the norm now.

Haines

Banned
Going to royal botanical gardens in Hamilton Ontario this aft

Last day they have an artist from new York displaying 14 Lego sculptures in it

So it will be nice for the kids

Going to royal botanical gardens in Hamilton Ontario this aft

Last day they have an artist from new York displaying 14 Lego sculptures in it

So it will be nice for the kids

I didn't know they were doing that. Is it on all week? I am off this week so may take my girls.

Boogiepop

So, is there any chance of Ninjago City or Destiny's Bounty ever getting discounts better than double VIP? Like, are they in a position where such a thing is plausible, or will they just hold like the Modulars? Would be nice if that could happen, as I'm kind of waffling back and forth on both, as they look neat... but I'm not into Ninjago as a theme really, and they'd be kind of "out of place"...

So, is there any chance of Ninjago City or Destiny's Bounty ever getting discounts better than double VIP? Like, are they in a position where such a thing is plausible, or will they just hold like the Modulars? Would be nice if that could happen, as I'm kind of waffling back and forth on both, as they look neat... but I'm not into Ninjago as a theme really, and they'd be kind of "out of place"...

Destiny's Bounty is a regular retail set, it can be discounted.

valkyre

Seems fate played a weird trick on me...

I've been salivating for an awesome UCS Millennium falcon for so long. Specifically Marshal Banana's Millennium Falcon (major credit to the work this guy did...masterpiece). I have spent countless hours looking at the photos, taking notes and trying step by step to reverse engineer this design. I used part of the skeleton from the official UCS Falcon instructions together with my own work in order to achieve to the desired design. Then i tried to create a part list and start placing BL orders.

It might sound silly, but it took an awful lot of time specifically more than a year to reach the point where I am now able to begin building this... I have the parts (well i am sure im going to need one-two BL small orders eventually) , i have a pretty good idea of how to make this happen.

It cost me so far 700 euros.

And now the official UCS Falcon is around the corner (like i said ive been working on this for a year now) and i am having wierd feelings... Not so much because i think that the Lego UCS is going to be even close to the kind of detail that this UCS I am about to build has, but because it takes away some of the uniqueness and the moment of finally being able to build a UCS MF. It also might make me feel like I am missing out on the Lego set of the decade...it is a major release, it feels like an event... But i cannot aford neither the money nor the space of having 2 UCS size falcons.

If I hadnt started working on this all this time ago and hadnt placed any orders, i wouldnt bother with it and would have bought the new UCS...

Again though there is no chance Lego could meet the detail of this MOC. But still... I feel wierd, like I am not going to enjoy this as much as i would 1 year ago...

Can GAF maybe cheer me up a bit lol?

Top Bottom