• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT3 | Playing with our sticks while petting Jaguars!

SliChillax

Exciting news, the new BMW 8 series has been confirmed and will debut at Villa D'Este in a few weeks.

attachment.php

I'll be there, I've heard it's a wonderful place.

What do y'all think of these Miatas? Also considering just buying a new one, but if I can find a good used one I'd be happy with that too...

2001 miata, 80k, $6750
2002 miata, 62k, $6300 obo
2003 miata, 100k, $6000

In any case I would get a mechanic to look at anything before I purchase, as I'm not mechanically inclined.

I like the last one the most. None of the other two have mentions of the timing belt being done. While the Miata engine is noninterference it's still nice to not have to do it.

North San Jose.
Cool, I'm in the Atherton area. Do you know any good local shops for getting a pre purchase inspection done? I'm heading down to Sam José to check out some new car options too (through costco).

I like the last one the most. None of the other two have mentions of the timing belt being done. While the Miata engine is noninterference it's still nice to not have to do it.
Gotcha, thanks for the feedback.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Exciting news, the new BMW 8 series has been confirmed and will debut at Villa D'Este in a few weeks.

attachment.php

I'll be there, I've heard it's a wonderful place.

They jacked the front end and headlights of the facelifted 2016 XJ.

Guys/Gals:

My lease is over in November. Pay off today is $23,000
I have 9,800 miles on my Scion FRS limited.

What can I do to get rid of it?

Carmax now and see if they at least give me payoff value?
Carmax in October in hopes they offer is closer to the payoff amount at that time? I think its close to 21,000 at end of lease.

Theres a place in the San Fernando Valley (CA) that competes with Carmax, and they guarantee they'll beat their offer.

Or
Grow up ride it out and stop this madness like a little child who need to have everything they want now to appease their inner child who was always jealous of everyone else who had nicer things. This has affected me as an adult. I have this impulse that I have to have things now, even if it doesn't make sense. And it drives me crazy, like I get this singular focus that really wreaks havoc on my mind.

AlphaSnake

Go on a road trip and break it in over the weekend. Ale took his 911R to vegas and back to break it in. :lol

You're not supposed to take a road trip with a new car. You have to fluctuate and keep the RPMs varied for the first 500 miles.

Needless to say, I imagine SliChillax is going to be driving (I believe his dad's?) F-Type far more than his own 235i. And I don't blame him. LOL. The feel of these 5.0L SC'd Jags is unlike any turbocharged motor out there. They simply feel so natural and responsive.

SliChillax

You're not supposed to take a road trip with a new car. You have to fluctuate and keep the RPMs varied for the first 500 miles.

Needless to say, I imagine SliChillax is going to be driving (I believe his dad's?) F-Type far more than his own 235i. And I don't blame him. LOL. The feel of these 5.0L SC'd Jags is unlike any turbocharged motor out there. They simply feel so natural and responsive.
Ehh you could take a road trip avoiding highways but yeah, my dad simply doesn't use the car that often due to his work. He wants me to drive it so the battery doesn't die and some components which I don't know the name of in English don't detiriorate. Cars should be driven, staying unused in storage fucks shit up. I'm mostly curious about driving a rwd car with a proper lsd. The open diff in my M235i makes rwd quite useless in some cases. It's unpredictable and wants to throw you off at times.

AlphaSnake

Ehh you could take a road trip avoiding highways but yeah, my dad simply doesn't use the car that often due to his work. He wants me to drive it so the battery doesn't die and some components which I don't know the name of in English don't detiriorate. Cars should be driven, staying unused in storage fucks shit up. I'm mostly curious about driving a rwd car with a proper lsd. The open diff in my M235i makes rwd quite useless in some cases. It's unpredictable and wants to throw you off at times.

Because this and my XKR are extremely similar, and because I also have a lot of experience with F-Type Rs, they bite. If you turn the traction off, they step out very easy. The supercharger makes torque very quickly and very early, and the car is rather undertired for the kind of power it makes. The E-Diff locks veeeery quick (yay for drifting), which means you need to make sure you're in control of the rear at all times - otherwise you'll get snap oversteer that you don't get out of an open-diff car like the M235i.

So yeah, be careful.

v1lla21

Told myself I won't be buying the Miata until probation at work is over. Probably end up picking up the RF and not an NB by then lol.

If you can fit in it, the RF is pretty amazing. You're getting a Targa top for $33,000 instead of $110,000.

My head touches the roof of the RF when I sit in it. Maybe you'll be more lucky than I was.

matmanx1

The F-Type R is here, what a beauty. 2016 model brand new and fortunately it is RWD not AWD.

Gorgeous! What a great looking car.

What do you think a fair price for this Miata is? https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/ctd/6098140455.html

2008 grand touring. Would $11k be a bad deal on my end?

I feel like 11k is good for that car. The Gran Touring is the hardtop, right? And those are pretty rare with the stick shift. Most of the NC Miata's with the hardtop were automatics. Also, that's a good color, just my two cents.

I know summer is right around the corner but how the hell can a 08 NC1 still be priced at $12K??

I got my 06 NC1 5 years(with 59k miles) ago for around that price!

I don't believe this at all so I took a look at AutoTrader and what in the fuck... there's practically no difference in price with the 3 sub-generations of the NC's. You could get a 50k miles 07 NC1 for the same price as a NC2 Club PRHT with 40k miles.

That doesn't seem right at all lol.

burgerdog

This is why I enjoy this thread, you, futaba, and a handful of others are always dropping dat knowledge.

In other news, I replaced my worn out pilot sport 3's with pilot super sports today and my god the difference is staggering, I felt it as soon as I hooked a right out of the tire shop. Might have to go on a mountain cruise sometime soon!

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Jeez the F-Type is gorgeous. I fucking love how they look. the quintessential car to demonstrate "refined."

Pinewood

Mechanically I dont see why a roadtrip would be bad, long continous operation would seem much better for break in that short trips where the engine conditions constantly change

SliChillax

Mechanically I dont see why a roadtrip would be bad, long continous operation would seem much better for break in that short trips where the engine conditions constantly change
Because doing constant speeds doesn't help with the break in of the engine. But you could take a roadtrip avoiding highways, it's what I would do.

Jeez the F-Type is gorgeous. I fucking love how they look. the quintessential car to demonstrate "refined."
Thanks man!

Gorgeous! What a great looking car.
Thanks man :)

Because this and my XKR are extremely similar, and because I also have a lot of experience with F-Type Rs, they bite. If you turn the traction off, they step out very easy. The supercharger makes torque very quickly and very early, and the car is rather undertired for the kind of power it makes. The E-Diff locks veeeery quick (yay for drifting), which means you need to make sure you're in control of the rear at all times - otherwise you'll get snap oversteer that you don't get out of an open-diff car like the M235i.

So yeah, be careful.

Yeah I'm aware, I always find it way more easy to powerslide my friends M4 than my M235i. I can hold the slide to easily with everything turned off, in my M235i everything is unpredictable and almost impossible to hold the slide.

Futaba

You know, I wish auto manufacturers would occasionally re-release previous cars, kinda like how games get a remaster now and then.

I would buy a re-released BMW M1 with a modern engine in a heartbeat.

Futaba

It's what the manual says

Much more fun to build it yourself

Until you see the prices..
front lower bumper section: $5000
oem rims, used with no tires: $25,000
bare cylinder head: $10,000

By the time you found all the parts to build one you'd be an old man and have spent insane money

SliChillax

Until you see the prices..
front lower bumper section: $5000
oem rims, used with no tires: $25,000
bare cylinder head: $10,000

By the time you found all the parts to build one you'd be an old man and have spent insane money

You talk like you expect BMW to sell it for cheaper (if they made it) :p

AlphaSnake

That sounds a bit unneccessart to me, break in happens if the pistons move, wouldnt really matter how.

It's what the engineers state and what the manuals state.

The reasoning is because the engine needs to operate in multiple different cycles and situations: slow movement, moderate movement, and fast movement (cool, warm, hot). Highways are slow movement - tall top gears with final/overdrives and the RPM is sitting at a lazy 1800RPM or some such. The car needs to have the entire rev band explored - the motor needs to run through cycles. Long road trips are not cyclical - it is one constant spend on the motor, and that is bad for it.

When you go to a gym, do you just stop working out once you've accomplished doing dozens of reps of 20lb lifts without getting tired? No, you're supposed to increase your load and move on. There are lots of little comparisons I can make to illustrate the point.

Pinewood

It's what the engineers state and what the manuals state.

The reasoning is because the engine needs to operate in multiple different cycles and situations: slow movement, moderate movement, and fast movement (cool, warm, hot). Highways are slow movement - tall top gears with final/overdrives and the RPM is sitting at a lazy 1800RPM or some such. The car needs to have the entire rev band explored - the motor needs to run through cycles. Long road trips are not cyclical - it is one constant spend on the motor, and that is bad for it.

When you go to a gym, do you just stop working out once you've accomplished doing dozens of reps of 20lb lifts without getting tired? No, you're supposed to increase your load and move on. There are lots of little comparisons I can make to illustrate the point.
You dont do engine break-in to make the engine more powerful though. You do it so the moving components would mesh with each others small imperfections, would get a surface oil layer etc.

Cycles would probably be better, but how is constant rpm bad for the engine?

I would compare it more to sanding a wood block, doesnt matter how fast you do it, you get to the same end result.

I mean I would most likely take it easy as well at first if I got a new car, but I assume some level of it is done during the car assembly and a certain degree of it comes from "better safe than sorry" and "engines have always been broken in"

burgerdog

So in car break mainly done on high end cars? I would imagine that a ton of people that buy economy cars just drive the hell out of them as soon as they drive them off the lot.

SliChillax

So in car break mainly done on high end cars? I would imagine that a ton of people that buy economy cars just drive the hell out of them as soon as they drive them off the lot.

Who drives the hell out of an economy car? Break in requires you to drive normally, usually not go over 5k rpm. That's normal driving that people do with economy cars, they don't usually even go over 4k rpm. As for people who don't do the break in properly, that's when you start having unexpected issues with the engine like burning oil too quickly etc.

boltz

Guys/Gals:

My lease is over in November. Pay off today is $23,000
I have 9,800 miles on my Scion FRS limited.

What can I do to get rid of it?

Carmax now and see if they at least give me payoff value?
Carmax in October in hopes they offer is closer to the payoff amount at that time? I think its close to 21,000 at end of lease.

Theres a place in the San Fernando Valley (CA) that competes with Carmax, and they guarantee they'll beat their offer.

Or
Grow up ride it out and stop this madness like a little child who need to have everything they want now to appease their inner child who was always jealous of everyone else who had nicer things. This has affected me as an adult. I have this impulse that I have to have things now, even if it doesn't make sense. And it drives me crazy, like I get this singular focus that really wreaks havoc on my mind.

Doesn't hurt to get a Carmax quote on it - it might be a good reality check. As for getting something else, can you say that you won't have the same impulse when you have a new car? With the way car tech is advancing, there's always going to be something faster and better. If your FRS still makes you look forward to driving it every time and you still look back at it every time after you park it, stick with it.

I've seen break in procedures in the manual of every car I've owned, which have all been economy cars except for my current one. And yeah, plenty of people totally neglect their cars :(

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
It's 500 miles. I don't know why anyone would ignore the manual and the engineer's recommendations on their vehicle's break-in. You're talking a $20, $30, $40... $100K+ investment. you can drive 500 miles in a week, easy.

I followed my car's break-in recommendations almost to a tee. And that required all kinds of driving styles - a little highway, a little stop-go, some warm up, some hard accelerating... sometimes keeping it at ~4K RPM for a few seconds, etc, etc.

AlphaSnake

You dont do engine break-in to make the engine more powerful though. You do it so the moving components would mesh with each others small imperfections, would get a surface oil layer etc.

Cycles would probably be better, but how is constant rpm bad for the engine?

I would compare it more to sanding a wood block, doesnt matter how fast you do it, you get to the same end result.

I mean I would most likely take it easy as well at first if I got a new car, but I assume some level of it is done during the car assembly and a certain degree of it comes from "better safe than sorry" and "engines have always been broken in"

The gym example was a point about stagnation, not power. Because constant RPMs keeps the internals 'cool', you're not working the motor out to bed everything in. You need cycles to break the engine in, and only heat will create proper sealing properties.

Yes, engines are ran at a factory dyno and 'broken in' - but they are done so without stress. There's no load put on the engine, no parasitic losses, no 4000lb shell to haul around, nothing. It's just a guy in a booth that opens the throttle a few times, and approves the motor.

That's why we still have the break-in period. Because now that motor is under actual duress and it needs to be taken care of for a little bit. If engineers require it, we aren't the ones to be questioning it.

Edit: Also, here's an actual engineer's explanation (Engineering Explained). There's a very frequent highlighting of varying load on the engine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oklqJnm7_TY&t=367s

Bottomline: Don't drive at constant speeds too long in a new car. The motor needs to be exercised at varying loads until it can be fully opened up.

A big part of it is putting full combustion pressure on the rings so that they wear properly and fully seat. All of the bearings throughout the engine really don't care one way or the other about loading the engine so long as the oil is up to operating temperature and you don't lug the engine.

Futaba

typical, the one time in feeling crazy i bid on a ferrari 458, highest bidder for 3 days, 10 min before auction ends and someone outbids me lol. ah well
and yeah, NB is a cutie!

Smokey

Are people sleeping on the R8? The new model looks bad af. Watched a video and was like damn. Don't see it mentioned too often tho.

Top Bottom