• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT3 | Playing with our sticks while petting Jaguars!

SliChillax

Are people sleeping on the R8? The new model looks bad af. Watched a video and was like damn. Don't see it mentioned too often tho.
It's the most boring looking mid engine supercar imo. It's not ugly, it's just uninteresting when compared to the competition. Only interesting thing about it is that naturally aspirated V10 which the Huracan also shares and the Huracan 580-2 is a better car.

KRaZyAmmo

It's the most boring looking mid engine supercar imo. It's not ugly, it's just uninteresting when compared to the competition.

Even compared to the original R8. The recent R8 plays the it too safe with that Audiness style. I don't know if modifying it changes or not. But here is Newing's R8.
d80a822d883732d0f6c241e744cd4b38.jpg

matmanx1

I would take a NB Miata for half the price with the same miles over a NC anyday. NB looks so much better and it's lighter.

/shrug I like my NC. At 6 feet tall with long legs it fits me the best of the NA/NB/NC cars but is still small and light enough to feel like a toy.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Are people sleeping on the R8? The new model looks bad af. Watched a video and was like damn. Don't see it mentioned too often tho.

It looks bad.

As in the literal usage. I've seen 1 on the road thus far, for every 10 Huracans. The front of the car is a massive meh. It also needs its own character.

Evo X

My friend had the new R8 for a month before trading it for a Huracan.

He said it was a fantastic car, but just not raw or exciting enough.

AlphaSnake

So why get a Huracan then? They are literally the same car...from the sounds they make to the way they drive.

Shame what happened to the R8 tbh. I liked the 1st generation a lot, especially that clinky-dink gated shifter, but I think it's gone now so eh.

Why does it even exist to begin with?

Even if I had that kind of cash, I wouldn't walk into an Audi dealership to check that out, I'd be checking out the RS7 instead. I feel like it has no appeal to any enthusiasts these days.

/shrug I like my NC. At 6 feet tall with long legs it fits me the best of the NA/NB/NC cars but is still small and light enough to feel like a toy.

Sames, except the 6 feet part haha. I feel like you have to have long legs to drive a Miata and if you have a long torso instead, you're gonna find it uncomfortable.

I feel like a sausage in the NA or NB, while I'm fine in the ND and the NC is the perfect fit for me.

Smokey

Shame what happened to the R8 tbh. I liked the 1st generation a lot, especially that clinky-dink gated shifter, but I think it's gone now so eh.

Why does it even exist to begin with?

Even if I had that kind of cash, I wouldn't walk into an Audi dealership to check that out, I'd be checking out the RS7 instead. I feel like it has no appeal to any enthusiasts these days.

Sames, except the 6 feet part haha. I feel like you have to have long legs to drive a Miata and if you have a long torso instead, you're gonna find it uncomfortable.

I feel like a sausage in the NA or NB, while I'm fine in the ND and the NC is the perfect fit for me.

I could see someone buying it vs a Hurcan because you don't want the attention that a Lamborghini brings. Like alpha said, it's the same car.

witness

Do you guys go through buyers remorse? I go through it with pretty much everything I buy that isn't food to some degree, but especially cars since they are such a big deal. It's not that I don't like my GLI, I love it actually, but I can't stop thinking well maybe I should have looked at these other cars first? How do you guys work through that and move on?

Do you guys go through buyers remorse? I go through it with pretty much everything I buy that isn't food to some degree, but especially cars since they are such a big deal. It's not that I don't like my GLI, I love it actually, but I can't stop thinking well maybe I should have looked at these other cars first? How do you guys work through that and move on?

Sell the car and then buy another and start the cycle anew.

v1lla21

Sometimes I think about it but I'm pretty haply with my car. Yeah now I'm looking at other cars but it's been three years. I'm keeping this car until it completely Shits the bed though. I'm not one to sell off cars or for that matter just have a car sit and only drive it on weekends.

AlphaSnake

Not really. They share most components but they handle very different.

They handle the same too. Same suspension down to every part. The only difference is that the alignment is a little bit goofed on the Audi for more understeer, and that's what...30 minutes of work to correct?

I'm going to try and find sales of the new R8, but I expect them to be wholly lackluster compared to the success of the original.

Edit:
http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales-data/audi/audi-r8/

2016 looked lackluster, outsold 2015 by 1 car - and the R8 was way long in the tooth by that point. But in fairness, deliveries didn't begin until April.

Edit: First 10 months of sales, the more expensive Huracan outsold the R8 with 1000 total in the US. In 2016 it was over 1300 cars sold. So based on this info, the Lambo outsells the R8 almost 2:1. That's fucking impressive.

"Production car", doesn't use the inside of the carousel.

Cool formula E car with a body, China, let's maybe rethink what "production car" means.

A formula E car has slightly over 250hp, that thing has 1360hp.
For me the cheating here is that we don't know how many are produced and especially that this thing probably would have problems doing 2 laps on the Nordschleife without "refueling".

But all the sub-7-minutes laps are a bit dodgy. The 918 Spyder had the specially designed "Weissach package" and a roof that you can't buy (normal 918 time was clocked 7:13), the Aventador SV had tires designed just for that record attempt (the P Zero Trofeo tire everyone can buy is not the same that was used during the tire testing for that lap) and the newest Performante lap from march this year has been accused by multiple outlets of cheating and no neutral body was supervising the record.

Bandit1

Just about killed a woman on a bicycle this morning...

I'm cruising down a two-lane road with a 55 mph speed limit, (which I was obeying) and I see that I'm coming up on a woman on a bicycle. She's on the right hand shoulder, and there are no other cars coming, so I leisurely put my T/A in the center of the road to give her some space and I let off the gas a little, but I'm still doing 45-50. I get about a car length away from her and she cuts about a 40 degree left hand turn out of the blue. She doesn't look, doesn't give any hand signals, nothing. Thankfully the shoulder on the left hand side of the road is wide open, so I jerk the car over there and hit a rough patch of ground, but maintain control. I stop and look back and she's still on the bike. So I went back to check on her, she apologized, said she felt an asthma attack coming on and had to stop. The left shoulder did have a lot more room, so she probably figured it would be safer to pull over there, she just, you know, should have checked for traffic first. And she had headphones on to boot, so she couldn't hear me coming. Had I not drifted over to the center to give her some space beforehand I'm fairly certain I would have hit her. So always watch out for bicyclists.

On a side note, saw an ND Miata up close for the first time today. Took me long enough right? Anyway I think it's a great looking car. Best looking Miata imo.

AlphaSnake

For me the cheating here is that we don't know how many are produced and especially that this thing probably would have problems doing 2 laps on the Nordschleife without "refueling".

But all the sub-7-minutes laps are a bit dodgy. The 918 Spyder had the specially designed "Weissach package" and a roof that you can't buy (normal 918 time was clocked 7:13), the Aventador SV had tires designed just for that record attempt (the P Zero Trofeo tire everyone can buy is not the same that was used during the tire testing for that lap) and the newest Performante lap from march this year has been accused by multiple outlets of cheating and no neutral body was supervising the record.

The Huracan also had a rollcage installed.

Ahh, I have my CA license now and all I have left to do is buy a car. I want a Miata, and looking used.

I don't know much about mechanics though and I'm a bit nervous about getting screwed. I was planning on having it checked out by a mechanic, but it still makes me a bit anxious about the whole process.

Any tips/anyone been in the same situation? I'm fine with paying a bit more to get a car in better shape. Just a bit nervous!

Makki

Ahh, I have my CA license now and all I have left to do is buy a car. I want a Miata, and looking used.

I don't know much about mechanics though and I'm a bit nervous about getting screwed. I was planning on having it checked out by a mechanic, but it still makes me a bit anxious about the whole process.

Any tips/anyone been in the same situation? I'm fine with paying a bit more to get a car in better shape. Just a bit nervous!

What model year are you looking at, depending on that there's certain things to look for, but NB/NC/NDs are mostly problem free.

This is the one I'm kinda staring at right now: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/6125082254.html

I wish my father-in-law was here, he knows everything about cars and would make sure I wouldn't make a blunder. :p

Like you said, just find a reputable mechanic to check it out.

Check out the Miata forums for info on a reputable Miata shop in SF.. There's like 3 here in DFW so I'm sure SF would even have more than that.

Also here's a guide from the Miata.net forums that you need to check out before you buy: http://wiki.miata.net/tiki-index.php?page=Checking Out a Used Miata

SliChillax

They handle the same too. Same suspension down to every part. The only difference is that the alignment is a little bit goofed on the Audi for more understeer, and that's what...30 minutes of work to correct?

I'm going to try and find sales of the new R8, but I expect them to be wholly lackluster compared to the success of the original.

Edit:
http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales-data/audi/audi-r8/

2016 looked lackluster, outsold 2015 by 1 car - and the R8 was way long in the tooth by that point. But in fairness, deliveries didn't begin until April.

Edit: First 10 months of sales, the more expensive Huracan outsold the R8 with 1000 total in the US. In 2016 it was over 1300 cars sold. So based on this info, the Lambo outsells the R8 almost 2:1. That's fucking impressive.
When MotorTrend tested them they said they handled completely different from one another iirc. Still I would never buy the R8. I'd rather get a slightly used Huracan for the same price if I desperately want a V10 but if I want the better car I would take the 570s or GT McLaren.

matmanx1

Sell the car and then buy another and start the cycle anew.

This is terrible advice
that I follow almost yearly
!

The good news is that Miata's are reliable, well built cars. As always, the best advice is to find the lowest mileage, best maintained example that you can fit in to your budget. The major wear item to look out for would be the top. You can get by with a bad top but no one likes to be leaked on when it's raining or to have a damp interior.

I really like my Miata and it's probably the easiest to live with fun car that I have yet owned and that makes it a great candidate for long term enjoyment. Good luck with your search and let us know if you have specific questions.

friday

This is the one I'm kinda staring at right now: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/6125082254.html

I wish my father-in-law was here, he knows everything about cars and would make sure I wouldn't make a blunder. :p

Bring a flashlight. look all around the underside of the car, make sure there are no rust issues. Try and look at the bell housing and the front of the motor, if there is oil anywhere you might have a leaking front or rear main seal. If the radiator is brown/green it needs to be replaced. Drive the car and see how it feels. Miatas are noisy and have vibrations but they shouldn't be too bad.

If the car has records that is always a plus. If you have never driven one before it is always good to drive a few different ones. The first couple I drove were in kinda bad shape, and when I finally drove a good one I instantly knew it was the one to buy.

Miatas are crazy reliable and a used NB2 motor can be found for $1200 if the worst happens.

Lmao now is probably a bad time to mention this but my NC is in the shop coz of a CEL and the P0328 it's throwing lol.

Tbh I think it's just the knock sensor wiring that's gone kaput since it only happens when the engine temp is above 200F and intake temp above 95F, so the heat is probably just causing it to go haywire and think the engine is knocking... but here's the best part, the only time the temps reach that high for both is when I'm at idle. So even if I'm driving like crazy the CEL and code don't show up. :

On the bright side, they gave me a GT trim ND as a loaner. The only bad thing is that it's an auto... but at least now I can actually give a proper review and figure out if it really is for me lol.

Ah, I didn't know the bolded, thanks.

For it being a "production car", I just had to see the way it handled rough surfaces--the harsh vibrations were completely unlike that of a road car's, and exactly like a GT car's under heavy aero. And on top of that there's what, maybe five or six scheduled for production?

I'd classify it similarly to a purpose-built track car, like a Radical SR8. Sure it's made for sale, and is road legal, but give me a break about it being a "production car".

GHG

Have you guys seen the new Nordschleife lap record for a street legal production car?

https://youtu.be/mcepG9Twa_8

The 1000kW, 1480Nm machine has a claimed 0-100km/h time of 2.7 seconds and a 0-200km/h time of 7.1 seconds,

Who needs to go that fast? WHO?

On another note, got a good look at the new Audi S5 today in the flesh for the first time. What a boring looking car, almost fell asleep looking at it.

Who needs to go that fast? WHO?

On another note, got a good look at the new Audi S5 today in the flesh for the first time. What a boring looking car, almost fell asleep looking at it.

Personally I think it's interesting for the sake of advancing automotive technologies, but beyond that it's utterly useless.

GHG

Personally I think it's interesting for the sake of advancing automotive technologies, but beyond that it's utterly useless.

The 0-100 times are all a wash these days, especially when you consider how many cars can do sub 6s with ease, but that's ok in my book because it's useable power on public roads (where the speed limit permits). But when I see 0-200 kmh in 7.1 seconds for a supposed "road legal" car it does make you think... Why? Where do we draw the line? That sort of acceleration should only be available in a track car that cannot be used on a public road.

SliChillax

The 0-100 times are all a wash these days, especially when you consider how many cars can do sub 6s with ease, but that's ok in my book because it's useable power on public roads (where the speed limit permits). But when I see 0-200 kmh in 7.1 seconds for a supposed "road legal" car it does make you think... Why? Where do we draw the line? That sort of acceleration should only be available in a track car that cannot be used on a public road.

There's this thing called the Autobahn in Germany and I disagree. Having that power does not mean using it all the time. You might need it on a track, on the autobahn or just an empty piece of road. I don't see why it's so shocking.

For it being a "production car", I just had to see the way it handled rough surfaces--the harsh vibrations were completely unlike that of a road car's, and exactly like a GT car's under heavy aero. And on top of that there's what, maybe five or six scheduled for production?

I'd classify it similarly to a purpose-built track car, like a Radical SR8. Sure it's made for sale, and is road legal, but give me a break about it being a "production car".
I even think it's just build to make a name for that chinese company and maybe for some very (VERY) rich guys to buy it solely to show off in front of their friends who just got their Tesla supertuned and completely outclass their electric toy with another electric toy.

The Koenigsegg One:1 also has 1000kW power and in Forza 6 (where it's usually harder to get into Nordschleife records with the same car) I did a 6:42 on the second lap on the Nordschleife. Koenigsegg planned on crushing Nordschleife records with that thing, but they never did... the car crashed during testing and my money is on the same vibrations you mentioned and it being really dangerous to clip kerbs (they both need to make up for non-slick tires with downforce that comes from below the car).

Btw. I gave the reach of the Nio Ep9 some thought and... the battery weighs 640kg, that's about double the weight of the newest gen Renault Zoe battery, which would put the capacity at roughly 90-100kwh. The Nio EP9 has a maximum power of 1MW (that's like two average sized wind turbines of the size you can find next to a lot of highways in Europe), which means that a full battery would be drained in 6 minutes at full power. Of course you can't go full power for so long because the battery overheats looong before (it's still a big problem in electric race cars). On the other hand, that battery probably still has a very good reach at low speeds, probably better than most other supercars.

v1lla21

There's this thing called the Autobahn in the Germany and I disagree. Having that power does not mean using it all the time. You might need it on a track, on the autobahn or just an empty piece of road. I don't see why it's so shocking.
Good point! never thought of that.

Time to trade it in on an ND..

Heh. I was telling my brother earlier that the check engine light was a sign from the gods to get an ND, I think that's confirmed especially now that I have this loaner ND until Friday lol.

Should be more than enough time to get a proper feel for the car as a daily.

boltz

Heh. I was telling my brother earlier that the check engine light was a sign from the gods to get an ND, I think that's confirmed especially now that I have this loaner ND until Friday lol.

Should be more than enough time to get a proper feel for the car as a daily.

Cool, let us know how it goes. There's a RF on Turo in my area that's going for $100/day and I'm so tempted to take it for a spin for a day.

The knock sensor is only ~30 dollars on rock auto, surely you can spare that much so you can do the springs.

$30 for the knock sensor but 5 hours of labor to replace it.

Obviously the knock sensor is gonna be knee-deep in the engine and in order to replace it, you also need to remove the dynamic chamber among other things so there's a lot of work required to get it done.

Tbh I really don't need to replace the springs... the new ones I have just work better with my shocks, basically it's a little more comfortable and about .5-inches higher than what I have now so I'm only really wanting to do to chase that comfortability that supposedly exists.

Cool, let us know how it goes. There's a RF on Turo in my area that's going for $100/day and I'm so tempted to take it for a spin for a day.

Right off the bat I can tell you that I have a love/hate relationship with the automatic tranny. The downshifts are very obvious in normal mode when you're slowing down(you see the tach visibly jump up as if it's blipping the throttle and engaging the gear) and I don't like it because when you need to get on the throttle, you have to wait for the downshift to finish before you get power. Obviously that's how a manual tranny works too, but since I don't have control of the clutch here, I'm having to wait for the car to do all the work instead of me knowing what's going to happen and that sorta bugs me lol.

On sport mode though, it's like Mazda's lying out of their ass when they say it's a full-on torque converter. It feels like a dual clutch with how fast the throttle blips and the up/downshifts are quite fast.

Handling wise, I didn't really get a chance to fully push it, but I can say that it's damn good for a stock car. But I do feel that my NC with it's modded suspension handles a lot better. There's a turn that I go through a lot, and on my NC it feels stable and flat as I go through the corner... whereas on this ND, you feel that weight transfer take place so I guess it depends on whether you like it or not.

Anyway, that's it for now... I'll have more soon lol.

No Love

Banned
$30 for the knock sensor but 5 hours of labor to replace it.

Obviously the knock sensor is gonna be knee-deep in the engine and in order to replace it, you also need to remove the dynamic chamber among other things so there's a lot of work required to get it done.

Tbh I really don't need to replace the springs... the new ones I have just work better with my shocks, basically it's a little more comfortable and about .5-inches higher than what I have now so I'm only really wanting to do to chase that comfortability that supposedly exists.

Right off the bat I can tell you that I have a love/hate relationship with the automatic tranny. The downshifts are very obvious in normal mode when you're slowing down(you see the tach visibly jump up as if it's blipping the throttle and engaging the gear) and I don't like it because when you need to get on the throttle, you have to wait for the downshift to finish before you get power. Obviously that's how a manual tranny works too, but since I don't have control of the clutch here, I'm having to wait for the car to do all the work instead of me knowing what's going to happen and that sorta bugs me lol.

On sport mode though, it's like Mazda's lying out of their ass when they say it's a full-on torque converter. It feels like a dual clutch with how fast the throttle blips and the up/downshifts are quite fast.

Handling wise, I didn't really get a chance to fully push it, but I can say that it's damn good for a stock car. But I do feel that my NC with it's modded suspension handles a lot better. There's a turn that I go through a lot, and on my NC it feels stable and flat as I go through the corner... whereas on this ND, you feel that weight transfer take place so I guess it depends on whether you like it or not.

Anyway, that's it for now... I'll have more soon lol.

Yeah but if you mod the suspension on the ND... 😇

Yeah but if you mod the suspension on the ND... 😇

Oh yeah definitely, I mean check out this ridiculous ride height on the ND:

I'd probably drop it an inch to an inch and a half and that's it.

That's actually one of the first things I needed to get used to... I felt that I was sitting a litle too high the first time I got in this morning... well, until I got used to it at least lol.

Also, get your 56k modems ready coz here's some pics!

Evo X

Regional Porsche meeting today. GT2RS officially announced for production and unveiled behind closed doors to general managers of franchises.

It's actually not going to be a 918 VIP special.

No exact production numbers announced but more than 911R for sure so mere mortals might have a chance of getting one.

They also said that it destroyed the nurburgring and strongly hinted beating 918.

AlphaSnake

That's actually one of the first things I needed to get used to... I felt that I was sitting a litle too high the first time I got in this morning... well, until I got used to it at least lol.

Man white looks so good on the car. I saw a white RF the other day (my second time), I loved it.

v1lla21

Nice! Hoping everything goes well and I get to buy one for my bday next year.

Top Bottom