• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT3 | Playing with our sticks while petting Jaguars!

Hopefully this is the right thread to ask for this but I am in the market for something a bit more sporty and fun and was looking into the GTI Sport and the Honda ST. I would be upgrading from an 08 Altima. I plan to test drive both vehicles and go from there. Just on paper and from reading various sites, I am leaning towards the GTI. Is there anything I should be aware of or ask about?

negitoro7

Hopefully this is the right thread to ask for this but I am in the market for something a bit more sporty and fun and was looking into the GTI Sport and the Honda ST. I would be upgrading from an 08 Altima. I plan to test drive both vehicles and go from there. Just on paper and from reading various sites, I am leaning towards the GTI. Is there anything I should be aware of or ask about?

The MK7 GTI is a phenomenal car, go for it 👍. Depending on which country you're from, the facelifted MK7.5 model might be available already. If not, it might be worthwhile for you to wait for the 2018.

v1lla21

Yeah the mk7 gti is a great car. You should definitely check it out. Quick little things.

2014 cayman on Turo for 140 a day. Feel like doing it. Lol.

witness

I just drove a '16 GTI base yesterday and goddamn it makes me feel so shitty that I got a '14 GLI. It's so responsive and sounds incredible. The Sport upgrades with the extra HP and LSD must be something else. The interior quality is also extremely impressive. Highly recommended, I can see why it's rated so highly. I'm trying to get out of the GLI now without it hurting too much and get a MKVII, might wait a year though and then go for it. Though I'm finding '16 bases for $18k locally, so hopefully I can find a deal on one with the performance pack later this year after the refresh comes out and brings prices for '16s down.

Thanks for the into guys. I think if I can get a '17 GTI Sport around 25k I will bite. Gonna try to shop around and see what I can find. I'm in no rush so we will see how this will all pan out.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I saw a blue Alfa Romeo Giulia yesterday. Look fantastic in person, very unique.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Spring has finally come to the mountains!
yHLWqRt.jpg

Now to get her dirty all over again :)

v1lla21

Spring has finally come to the mountains!

Now to get her dirty all over again :)
Mmm sexxxxxy.

I got flipped off by some dude in an suv earlier during traffic. Caught up to him later and asked him to flip me off again and he tells me it wasn't him. lol.dude had a big ass autobots sticker on the back of his suv.

v1lla21

This story would be more interesting if you told us what prompted him to flip you off.
Oh yeah lol. There was traffic and I was going slow, pacing myself a couple of cars behind so I wouldn't have to be stopping and going every single time. We were moving at around 10-15mph in the right lane.

Ty4on

Oh yeah lol. There was traffic and I was going slow, pacing myself a couple of cars behind so I wouldn't have to be stopping and going every single time. We were moving at around 10-15mph in the right lane.
Man, that reminds me.

I drove in a lot of traffic. There are two lanes, lane left is the one most use while lane right goes straight to the airport and there are no junctions or anything till the road splits. I was keeping a fair distance to the car in front so I didn't have to stop like you, think it was also so I didn't need to slip the clutch and could ride on the idle governor in first or second. Then this Golf comes at full speed and goes straight into the gap, no sign of trying to merge just "ooooh, free space".
Cue furious me honking and spending the rest of the trip tailgating him -_-
Had he come in slow trying to merge it'd have no problem giving him the spot, I can understand people getting stuck in the wrong lane. It just looked so opportunistic.

I always try to drive like that in traffic. Occasionally I can see a stop moving through the line and am able to break it up and keep the line moving. Driving up close and breaking a lot is what causes those stops even though there's really nothing to stop for.

matmanx1

I've always had a soft spot for the GTI and GLI. The only reason I haven't owned one yet is the historical reliability of VW products. Like BMW, I would pretty much only buy one if it was under bumper to bumper warranty and I had a 2nd car to fall back on. I really, really wish VW would up their game in terms of dependability and long term reliability.

Futaba

Well now I'm finally home, I'm going to rant about driving in Japan, again.

Speed limits are too low and nobody follows them, not even the police, 80km/h on a three lane toll highway? really bro?, during the day people were averaging 110, had to doubletake when cruising at 110 when a police car floated on by clearly doing in excess of 150, no lights flashing or anything, between 1am and 4am it's basically an autobahn, was driving tandem with a white GT4 RS at..... well, speeds you would not expect a GT86 to be doing, dude seemed amused that I could keep up :), fun was stopped when I had to split and merge onto another highway, where everyone was driving 90 in all lanes.

Then there were countless occasions where I'd pull into the fast lane to overtake someone doing under 80, and other drivers would randomly switch into the fast lane *way* too late or without even indicating and force me and whoever is behind me to brake hard. Then there's idiots doing 75 in the fast lane and refusing to move, then there's idiots weaving about in their lane so much that at one point a guy trying to overtake slammed on so hard he damn near lost it.

But the most frustratingly shitty thing is the Chuo expressway between Fujino and it's junction by Hachioji, every single weekend there are 6-8km long tailbacks because where the road switches from 3 lanes to 2 at the Keirinji shrine side, people seem incapable of doing so in a timely manner despite there being clear signage for the lane merge as far as 3km back, hell even when everyone is trundling along at 5kmh because of the jam, you still get absolute morons waiting till the last second to merge, which is the entire reason this tailback exists in the first place.

And that's been my experience in many places, both in japan and elsewhere, when you hit a block of slow moving traffic and pass through it never seeing a valid reason for it to even exist, back in the UK you would get the same whenever any sort of weather warning sign was showing, people would see it and slam on the brakes even though there's absolutely nothing different about the conditions they were only a few seconds earlier driving perfectly fine in.. people who have such immediate and blunt responses to any sort of signage will forever be the bane of my highway usage.

But mostly? mostly it's the insanely low speed limits, if almost nobody is going to follow them there is no point in them being so low, it just means the occasional person that does follow is at risk of being rear ended.
All it really does is make getting anywhere by car in Japan extremely time consuming, 300km should not take 4 hours, it should take 2 and a half at the most.

Also highway tolls are insane, the last leg i did this evening was 285km and the toll for that section was $88.20.

Blitzhex

I've always had a soft spot for the GTI and GLI. The only reason I haven't owned one yet is the historical reliability of VW products. Like BMW, I would pretty much only buy one if it was under bumper to bumper warranty and I had a 2nd car to fall back on. I really, really wish VW would up their game in terms of dependability and long term reliability.

I've had the mk7 gti since november 2013. The car hasn't had any problems at all, but mine's only done 38k km till now, zero highway kilometers though.

The MQB platform is pretty solid I'd say. I'm getting the new rs3 sedan next week and going to be retiring the gti. Going to miss this hatch a bit.
If I were buying another gti or R I'd be pretty comfortable voiding my warranty with some mods day 1, might do that on the rs3.

Speed limits are too low and nobody follows them, not even the police, 80km/h on a three lane toll highway? really bro?, during the day people were averaging 110, had to doubletake when cruising at 110 when a police car floated on by clearly doing in excess of 150, no lights flashing or anything, between 1am and 4am it's basically an autobahn, was driving tandem with a white GT4 RS at..... well, speeds you would not expect a GT86 to be doing, dude seemed amused that I could keep up :), fun was stopped when I had to split and merge onto another highway, where everyone was driving 90 in all lanes.

Then there were countless occasions where I'd pull into the fast lane to overtake someone doing under 80, and other drivers would randomly switch into the fast lane *way* too late or without even indicating and force me and whoever is behind me to brake hard. Then there's idiots doing 75 in the fast lane and refusing to move, then there's idiots weaving about in their lane so much that at one point a guy trying to overtake slammed on so hard he damn near lost it.

But the most frustratingly shitty thing is the Chuo expressway between Fujino and it's junction by Hachioji, every single weekend there are 6-8km long tailbacks because where the road switches from 3 lanes to 2 at the Keirinji shrine side, people seem incapable of doing so in a timely manner despite there being clear signage for the lane merge as far as 3km back, hell even when everyone is trundling along at 5kmh because of the jam, you still get absolute morons waiting till the last second to merge, which is the entire reason this tailback exists in the first place.

And that's been my experience in many places, both in japan and elsewhere, when you hit a block of slow moving traffic and pass through it never seeing a valid reason for it to even exist, back in the UK you would get the same whenever any sort of weather warning sign was showing, people would see it and slam on the brakes even though there's absolutely nothing different about the conditions they were only a few seconds earlier driving perfectly fine in.. people who have such immediate and blunt responses to any sort of signage will forever be the bane of my highway usage.

But mostly? mostly it's the insanely low speed limits, if almost nobody is going to follow them there is no point in them being so low, it just means the occasional person that does follow is at risk of being rear ended.
All it really does is make getting anywhere by car in Japan extremely time consuming, 300km should not take 4 hours, it should take 2 and a half at the most.

Also highway tolls are insane, the last leg i did this evening was 285km and the toll for that section was $88.20.

How fast can you go over the limit before being pulled over usually?

Also, thats a lot of money to pay for a toll. Probably explains why whenever I rode with someone in Japan, we never took the highway

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Starting to look at vehicles for my wife. Will probably buy something in the next year or so, so this is admittedly super preliminary.

Most basic requirements are:

SUV
4WD/AWD
3rd Row Seat

The size of the third row seat isn't that important. It'll be a "just in case" that while we will use it often, it will usually be for kid nieces/nephews to come along to the zoo or something (short ride).

Want to spend about $30K for a <2 year old model at <36K miles.

We're leaning toward a 2016 4Runner right now. We do some back-trail driving in places like Arizona and Colorado pretty often - nothing super serious, but stuff a Tahoe, for example, wouldn't be able to handle.

We don't tow anything, so a Suburban/Tahoe/Yukon seems unnecessary (and too expensive).

Range Rovers are more expensive and less reliable.

A Ford Explorer is cheaper - which is nice - but lacks the capability and I'm not as sure about the reliability.

I think the Honda Pilot is hideous.

Anything I'm not considering?

What are the fine like on speeding tickets in Japan? Do points go on your license for large violations?

Starting to look at vehicles for my wife. Will probably buy something in the next year or so, so this is admittedly super preliminary.

Most basic requirements are:

SUV
4WD/AWD
3rd Row Seat

The size of the third row seat isn't that important. It'll be a "just in case" that while we will use it often, it will usually be for kid nieces/nephews to come along to the zoo or something (short ride).

Want to spend about $30K for a <2 year old model at <36K miles.

We're leaning toward a 2016 4Runner right now. We do some back-trail driving in places like Arizona and Colorado pretty often - nothing super serious, but stuff a Tahoe, for example, wouldn't be able to handle.

We don't tow anything, so a Suburban/Tahoe/Yukon seems unnecessary (and too expensive).

Range Rovers are more expensive and less reliable.

A Ford Explorer is cheaper - which is nice - but lacks the capability and I'm not as sure about the reliability.

I think the Honda Pilot is hideous.

Anything I'm not considering?

I was about to suggest a honda pilot until I read to the bottom. My friend has a 2014 model and its been great to them, and the 3rd row is decently. But I guess that would be a previous generation model anyway.

The 4runner would probably be your best choice honestly.

Ty4on

Have you driven much in Germany? That's one place where I felt signage was appropriate, but it's a long time ago. When signs told you to slow down there was a good reason to and the speed limits were reasonable.

matmanx1

I've had the mk7 gti since november 2013. The car hasn't had any problems at all, but mine's only done 38k km till now, zero highway kilometers though.

The MQB platform is pretty solid I'd say. I'm getting the new rs3 sedan next week and going to be retiring the gti. Going to miss this hatch a bit.
If I were buying another gti or R I'd be pretty comfortable voiding my warranty with some mods day 1, might do that on the rs3.

Good to know, thank you. I had heard some anecdotal evidence that the new model seems to be improved and it is certainly something I am keeping an eye on.

This is mostly for Shortt Sirket since we have the same car. I'd mentioned a while ago that I was thinking of selling my car and buying something different. I was thinking of a BRZ/FRS and had one on order before I changed my mind. I decided to just hold off and if anything happened with the motor on my car I'd just pull it and buy a new longblock and swap it myself.

Then I found this for sale:
2mwIaGK.jpg

The same car I have, but with an even bigger turbo than the one I'd put in it, and all the mods I'd want to do but probably never would. So in the end I'm going to sell my car but stay in a Mazdaspeed 6. At some point the tune will be finished and I'll be around 600hp and it'll probably break constantly but what the hell.

ElyrionX

No matter which country you're in, there will always be idiots who think they are entitled to travel in the fast lane at the speed limit even if the guy coming up behind is clearly going faster.

Well now that you're home, you can drive where speed limits are enforced (sporadically) so you can't even enjoy going fast when you feel like it!

I would rather be in Japan or Germany where I can just go fast and no one will bother me.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
I was on a Soft99-binge recently:
6E596297-62EA-407E-9F6A-49041E5CD9D1.jpg

not pictured, but applied was the Fusso Coat 12M for light paintworks:
E434DCFD-5789-4831-899E-333A31A795B1.jpg

It's not as easy to apply/remove as Meguiar's, but the beading/sheeting is remarkable:
B0D5499A-8619-4E95-B55F-43B82A5B8201.jpg

The Fiesta itself is still fun to drive:
632D5898-1BDD-4E33-A74B-C02D8CE64BDA.jpg

matmanx1

The owner of the business where I work had a 2017 Lexus ES 350 delivered yesterday. He sent his 2014 Lexus ES 350 in for service last week and evidently they called him a day or so later and made him an offer he couldn't refuse on the new one.

That's not the interesting part of this story, though. Originally the owner turned them down and said it was too far to drive (it's a good 60 - 70 miles from our town to the closest Lexus dealership) to buy another Lexus so they told him he could take his Lexus to the Toyota dealer here in town for all warranty and service work from now on. That's what sealed the deal.

Toyota and Lexus are the same company but I had always been told that warranty work and service appointments had to be completed at the Lexus dealership. Anyway, good on Lexus/Toyota for being flexible enough to allow that to complete the sale. It is certainly something I will remember for the future.

This is mostly for Shortt Sirket since we have the same car. I'd mentioned a while ago that I was thinking of selling my car and buying something different. I was thinking of a BRZ/FRS and had one on order before I changed my mind. I decided to just hold off and if anything happened with the motor on my car I'd just pull it and buy a new longblock and swap it myself.

Then I found this for sale:
2mwIaGK.jpg

The same car I have, but with an even bigger turbo than the one I'd put in it, and all the mods I'd want to do but probably never would. So in the end I'm going to sell my car but stay in a Mazdaspeed 6. At some point the tune will be finished and I'll be around 600hp and it'll probably break constantly but what the hell.

Holy shit man, that is badass. What turbo does it have? I am assuming bigger than an S4. lol Congrats man, those panda MS6s are rare af. Know a dude down here in Indy selling his but its mostly just simple bolt ons.

witness

Nice! Really great all-around car. Don't forget to order your JB4 as well to get more power out of it :p

Is this recommended over the neuspeed power module? I was thinking about getting one or the other since I do not want to get something like APR tune and potentially void the warranty.

v1lla21

Is this recommended over the neuspeed power module? I was thinking about getting one or the other since I do not want to get something like APR tune and potentially void the warranty.
I'd recommend it just based on how many people already run either the jb1 or JB4 over the Neuspeed power module. If you're just looking for a simple piggyback you couldn't go wrong with either but the JB4 allows for more flexibility if you want to start modifying even further down the road.

Futaba

How fast can you go over the limit before being pulled over usually?

Also, thats a lot of money to pay for a toll. Probably explains why whenever I rode with someone in Japan, we never took the highway
Unofficially, 10 over the limit on normal roads, and up to 120 on highways during off peak, 100 during peak, though it's entirely down to a particular cops mood if they pull you for 2kmh over the limit or 40.
And yeah, it's expensive as hell :(

What are the fine like on speeding tickets in Japan? Do points go on your license for large violations?
Hefty financial charges and points, for example a minor error on the road, such as failing to indicate or going through a light just as it turns red is anywhere from $100 to $300, and 2-5 points on your license, equally speeding and getting caught carries a fine and points proportional to how badly you were breaking the limit, 10kmh over and you might not even get pulled, or you might get a $150 fine and 2 points, be doing 100kmh over the limit and you're looking at $3000+ and 5 points to full revoke of license.

Have you driven much in Germany? That's one place where I felt signage was appropriate, but it's a long time ago. When signs told you to slow down there was a good reason to and the speed limits were reasonable.
I have, and I agree, I also felt the model used for autobahns was excellent and should be copied elsewhere in the world, especially the sections with no limits.

No matter which country you're in, there will always be idiots who think they are entitled to travel in the fast lane at the speed limit even if the guy coming up behind is clearly going faster.
Word, it's infuriating, and a massive risk to both them and other drivers, it's especially anoying when you get a group of HGV's clogging up all lanes and in effect forming a rolling wall.

Well now that you're home, you can drive where speed limits are enforced (sporadically) so you can't even enjoy going fast when you feel like it!

I would rather be in Japan or Germany where I can just go fast and no one will bother me.
I'm in Japan dude, it's home for me, when I said I just got home it's because I was down south checking out a house, and stopped by Liberty Walk on the drive back since I was passing through Nagoya!

Holy shit man, that is badass. What turbo does it have? I am assuming bigger than an S4. lol Congrats man, those panda MS6s are rare af. Know a dude down here in Indy selling his but its mostly just simple bolt ons.

It has a precision 5862. I didnt realize or forgot you're in Indy, im only like an hour away in Lafayette. Small world!

Ty4on

I have, and I agree, I also felt the model used for autobahns was excellent and should be copied elsewhere in the world, especially the sections with no limits.
I especially remember a 100 section where it was almost uncomfortable to take the corners at that speed. It really made me trust the signage and slow down when it warned me.

witness

New Si should be starting to roll in to dealers in the next couple weeks!

I haven't read about this before, surprised it's only 205hp honestly. That's gonna be one big ass gap between that and the Type R. I would have thought going 220-230hp would have been the way to go for the Si.

Bandit1

I saw a blue Alfa Romeo Giulia yesterday. Look fantastic in person, very unique.

Saw one going down the road the other day, and just watched the Grand Tour episode where Jeremy drives it. I think it's a great looking car.

I took the 911 to Roebling Road yesterday! I have some GoPro footage as well, but in the meantime, enjoy!

https://youtu.be/OGAZaFncXzE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k-pczEzrJg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVBUDe88x7c

Car sounds great Dave! How did it do in the wet?

No Love

Banned
I took the 911 to Roebling Road yesterday! I have some GoPro footage as well, but in the meantime, enjoy!

https://youtu.be/OGAZaFncXzE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k-pczEzrJg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVBUDe88x7c

Awesome videos, looks like a blast. Lucky guy right here.

I haven't read about this before, surprised it's only 205hp honestly. That's gonna be one big ass gap between that and the Type R. I would have thought going 220-230hp would have been the way to go for the Si.

1. Si may be underrated, for all we know it's really 220-240 bhp in the real world. But then again it's a 1.5L so the displacement vs the GTI and Focus ST is definitely lacking.

2. The huge difference probably allows Honda to generate more demand sales for the Type R since it's such a huge gulf between them in so many aspects. That being said, with some tuning the new Si is going to be pretty damn fast if it's as light as I think it is.

Definitely think people will be sleeping on the Si. Vit found that the base 1.5T was making Si level power and torque, so the Si will be higher.

Even at listed torque, I think it will surprise a lot of people.

Car sounds great Dave! How did it do in the wet?

Thanks! My girlfriend asked me why I took the 911 instead of the 944 track car, and I told her it was because of the noise (really it's 50% noise and 50% not wanting to rent a trailer). And for driving in the wet it's surprisingly stable. Getting it turned in requires some trail-braking and some effort, but once in a corner holds a line very well with steady throttle. The only problem was getting power down while tracking out from apex, not because it would slip a lot, but if it got more than a little bit out of line it was very difficult to recover from. Had a few white-knuckle sideways moments out of corners and one spin--once it gets going it's a hard fight to bring it back in.

Harder was corner entry in the dry. Trail-braking can get you great turn-in there but slightly too much steering input while braking and WHAM spin. Had a great on-track 360 that thankfully I caught on gopro, but a lot of the time it was just brake-turn-countersteer-turn-countersteer-poop pants.

Oh, and not to mention hitting standing water at 100mph and spinning the rear tires! Exciting!

Great track! I need to do a track day there.

It was! I thought it looked boring from videos but once I got going with it I started to love the fast sweepers. When you finally nail a 90mph entry into turn 3 it's the best feeling in the world.

Just bought the '17 GTI SE in midnight blue. Gorgeous car. It is still at the dealership due to minor paint damage that I wanted them to touch up on but I am super psyched. It was ~24800 before taxes and fees.

v1lla21

Just bought the '17 GTI SE in midnight blue. Gorgeous car. It is still at the dealership due to minor paint damage that I wanted them to touch up on but I am super psyched. It was ~24800 before taxes and fees.
Congrats&#128588;&#128588;&#128588;&#128588; did you get the dct or manual?

Top Bottom