• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dust: An Elysian Tail |OT| Become the Storm

2159450-dust_elysian_trail_gif.gif

Let's do this!

Oh my God. I want this so much. Noogy, you win at life.

-GJ-

Please let this game be awesome. I'm really looking forward to it finally hitting.

Don't worry.

I can't say anything about the game itself because it has an embargo until monday, but the music in Dust is simply amazing. You can hear some of the soundtrack in the gameplay demo Dean did with PlayXBLA. It compliments the vibe of the game really well.

This looks hand drawn but it's 2.5D, right? It looks amazing. The animation is so smooth.

Beautiful.

Here's a quote by Noogy himself about the animation:

It's a cross of traditional and segmented animation. The protogonist is fully animated (I actually spend most of the memory of the 360 on him alone). I'm hoping to put some nice artwork-in-progress of the whole process into a post-mortem.

HoodWinked

i remember tweeting noggy just a couple months ago and he was still hard at work, he must have been killing himself getting this ready by soa.

Thenarus

Neo Member
With everyone calling this a Metroidvania type of game, does that mean we have both rare drops/loot and fixed chests? Game looks great; can't wait to dive in next week.

Probably, yes. Can't really think of any other game that might win, besides Journey.

I don't know, just off the top of my head I see Sound Shapes and Fez as contenders. Possibly Retro City Rampage if it ends up being really good. And if The Witness actually comes out this year I can also see a lot of people choosing it.

see5harp

What the fuck? This looks great and I'm buying day one but this year was extremely good for downloadable games. Trials Evolution is a very complete game. Sound Shapes is pretty awesome for a mobile game/creation toy but it's hard for me to say that or Journey compete. Joe Danger is out soon too.

With everyone calling this a Metroidvania type of game, does that mean we have both rare drops/loot and fixed chests? Game looks great; can't wait to dive in next week.

You unlock skills as you progress and find them, such as the ground slide is locked until you find it, you also level up and have some skill points to use in strengh, projectiles and stuff.

There are also chests which have locks on, you find keys to use in them and some have multiple locks on.

plus a hell of a lot more.

Silvawuff

I think there's a difference between port begging and wanting to see a game expand to other platforms, especially ones that lack a physical release. This isn't about X Y Z platform being better than another, but different communities respond to different games. I think each platform has its own unique and special community, and this game would work well on other platforms besides Microsoft's -- but I'm not suggesting the current platform it's on is a bad one.

Since Dust is a game completely designed by one person -- and looks gorgeous -- hoping it gets more exposure and enough business to expand to other places seem like good enough reasons for it to see other releases elsewhere. For now, the current one is fine and does the job gorgeously -- I just hope the kind of community it is providing for is one that will embrace it enough to cater to that expansion.

Noogy

Oh awesome, thanks for doing a OT, Matt! I'm going to be putting up the trailer VERY soon, excited to show off some new content.

I still can't believe this little endeavor of mine is done and actually coming out. It's even weirder that others are playing it. I hope everyone enjoys it come Wednesday!

And keep your eyes peeled on this thread for free XBLA codes ;)

S1kkZ

Oh awesome, thanks for doing a OT, Matt! I'm going to be putting up the trailer VERY soon, excited to show off some new content.

I still can't believe this little endeavor of mine is done and actually coming out. It's even weirder that others are playing it. I hope everyone enjoys it come Wednesday!

And keep your eyes peeled on this thread for free XBLA codes ;)

please think of us europeans when you hand out some codes (time zones...).

charsace

please think of us europeans when you hand out some codes (time zones...).

Sorry bro but I need less competition for those codes. :)

Great looking game Noogy. I know that you have posted in the indy game thread a few times. Every time I watch a vid for your game I'm amazed. I think I asked you about your skeletal animation system at one point in the thread.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Oh man, been waiting to play this game since forever. All my favorite genre hooks rolled into one beautiful package.

Congrats on this achievement, noogy. Truly inspiring.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Been waiting to buy this as well; if I get a code I'll pass it along to a few people I know without any cash right now.

Top Bottom