• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogamer Podcast

Rodhull

Also I really think Bratterz is on the verge of snapping finally. He's starting to fight back from some of the abuse he routinely gets. Hopefully he doesn't calm down over the Christmas break.

LtOrange

Loved Scammell objecting to the podcast being described as likely to be negative then a few minutes later he was the most negative of everyone there. 'It's been a shit year, all the games were shit' or something to that effect.

I completely lost it at that part. 2014 did not seem to be a good year for him.

Rodhull

Man Simon's job at 2k couldn't have lasted long? I thought it was a bit strange how critical of some games he was being on Twitter for a guy in PR, guess he must have already left by then. Hope he gets another spot somewhere soon. Can't imagine there's many options in UK games media currently if he wants to come back.

Lucifon

:( Bratterz is one of my favourites, but so is Miller. I feel such mixed emotions right now. Interested to see where Chris lands next, he's genuinely brilliant at what he does.

The staff turnover at VG seems crazy and slightly concerning...

Rodhull

Good to see Miller back but Ugh that Bratterz is leaving. Videogamer is like a British 1UP in that it seems to train up these people to be really good and then they go off to bigger sites and do less interesting stuff.

Hopefully bratt teams up with matt lees or something, i'm not the biggest fan of matt anymore, but the two have good chemistry with each other. I love videogamer and watch all of their content, but i cant imagine them without bratt now.

Rodhull

I like the daft souks podcast that Matt does but I don't really have the time to watch his or anyone else's videos. So pretty much podcasts, Twitter and articles on sites are the only things I catch.

Rodhull

Yeah not a surprise really. Only a few places he'd be likely to go to. Wish him well but a shame we won't see him on more humorous stuff like Videogamer. Eurogamers coverage is definitely a bit drier.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Good to see Miller back but Ugh that Bratterz is leaving. Videogamer is like a British 1UP in that it seems to train up these people to be really good and then they go off to bigger sites and do less interesting stuff.

Seriously... highly disappointing move, but can't hate on him.

Sucks to have this happen not long after Patrick Klepek left Giant Bomb to Kotaku. Both moves feel similar in that they're going to a more "entertainment" style site to a more traditional, less interesting site.

L1NETT

https://www.patreon.com/VideoGamer

they launched their own patreon thingy

guess more sites have to do this premium marlarky or else we'll see more Joystiq's happen

will probably contribute. Only dedicated site I frequently visit (outside of Eurogamer for reviews/lees for other gubbins) and hey i made this bloomin thread so wanna see em continue :)

I thought it was a link to a joke video at first. Not sure what to think of it to be honest.

ha so did I. Expected Burns to waddle in with a 'Shut ittttttt'

said i'd contribute but hmmmmm

Like I wanna support them but summat about this seems off.

dugdug

Banned
The tiers are a bit extreme. Like, $2500 to stream a game every two weeks? I don't know. Feels a bit off, is all.

Still love VG, though. Hope it works out well for everyone involved.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'll probably back a bit, but I don't like their approach. Locking podcast content behind a paywall that will maybe be heard by a few hundred people at maximum just doesn't seem like a good idea.

Rodhull

Yeah I'll probably throw a little bit at them but not much. Also don't like the idea of them holding content behind a paywall either. Giant Bomb seems to increasingly do this and to be honest I don't visit their site anywhere near as much as a result.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I'll probably throw a little bit at them but not much. Also don't like the idea of them holding content behind a paywall either. Giant Bomb seems to increasingly do this and to be honest I don't visit their site anywhere near as much as a result.

It sucks because it makes the content increasingly more difficult to share and discuss. Makes the community more insular, too.

Slowdive

Banned
Quick question for you/and other patreon backers

is the extra stuff (not just the podcast stuff) as good as their usual video stuff?

Or is just lame Miller top 5 lists and half arsed other videos. I know it's early n all

---

Also the amount of humourless folks on that gaming side thread. Shake. My. Head

There's only one extra video up so far and I liked it, it does contain Miller and a list though! It's about 15 minutes long though, I wouldn't call it half arsed, it could easily be put on the main channel and not be out of place which is a good thing.

Yeah, basically what Burns said, can't believe people are mad because they can't be bothered watching a video.

Rodhull

Great episode this week so far. Not even got to the point where Burns comes in yet and it's been funny as hell.

Kinda reconsidering supporting the patreon as I know I'm too lazy to manually add the extended podcast to my phone and that's probably the only thing I'd be likely to get any use of out on a regular basis.

TomO

Great episode this week so far. Not even got to the point where Burns comes in yet and it's been funny as hell.

Kinda reconsidering supporting the patreon as I know I'm too lazy to manually add the extended podcast to my phone and that's probably the only thing I'd be likely to get any use of out on a regular basis.

Hey, we're working on a way so you don't have to manually add this every time. We've had issues because the podcast has to be accessible only to Patrons.

L1NETT

Yesterday's Pod. Order/Zelda/Sonic chat.

also, Burns' reputation is odd in my eyes

Stick the boot in? Full Negative? Isn't that what critics/reviewers kinda sorta should be doing.

Best ones for film/games/tv I listen to like Kermode don't regurgitate cliches and insipid shite like yer big sites do. They are.....guess what....critical.

I dunno, but if ya read this Burns keep up the good work. One of the few voices whose reviews I do seek out.

Like take Sunset Overdrive. The reaction to that made it sound like he slagged off a masterpiece.

Nah he just told it like it is about a tryhard, nasty wee piece of colourful pish.

Slowdive

Banned
@Auld_Da_Jim
NeoGAF translation guide: "VideoGamer's reviews are terrible" = "VideoGamer gave Sunset Overdrive 6/10 and I'm still crying myself to sleep"

Sums it up really, people are still mad about it.

Burns is really great I think, looking forward to his Order review.

Is it worth listening to the all the podcasts in the archive? Started listening to the ones from the ones from early 2013 when they kind of rebranded it, there are loads more though from before.

Rodhull

Is it worth listening to the all the podcasts in the archive? Started listening to the ones from the ones from early 2013 when they kind of rebranded it, there are loads more though from before.

The podcast was getting a bit stale before the rebrand but if you go a bit further back the majority of ones with Neon, Wes, Seb and Tom where the podcast is a quiz are really good.

Anyone have a list of games they've played through on stream?

Making my way through Demon's Souls Pants Man, then intend to do Dark Souls and Shadow of the Colossus.

Also, can anyone recommend some highlights from their video output? Thanks :)

Top Bottom