• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sims 4 |OT| Behold its true form and despair!

UnrealEck

Oh man, that list of things that aren't in the game are such a shame. Some of the things like babies are not sims is such a shame.

Kadayi

Banned
Toyed around with the character creator and was pretty impressed, but I'll probably wait for reviews on this. Albeit I thought there was a lot to like about Sims 3, I actually didn't like that you couldn't run multiple Sim families at the same time (l used to have about 30 sims on the go in Sims 2), which was a constraint forced upon you by the open world system. So I'm not automatically against the idea of a retreat from that if it means I can have several households on the go in the same world instance.

However the flipside to that is I'm wary of the sheer amount of expansion packs and DLC that will inevitably be piled on.

Tabby

I for one am glad Open World is gone.

I'd rather have loading screens than look at low res buildings pop in and out while riding a taxi at 20fps.
Open World done right is great but man, it sucked in Sims 3.

npa189

Sounds like they are just releasing the Sims 2 with a new coat of paint? What's the point of a sequel if you move backwards. Poor maxis such an inglorious death.

Tabby

Try ...DocumentsElectronic ArtsThe Sims 4 Create A Sim Demo

Your Sims are in the Tray folder, but good luck untangling what files are for what Sim.
The Sims are tied to your Origin account isn't it?
It's why the Gallery is there.

Almighty

Well I think I am going to stick with the Sims 3. That cut feature list has just killed any excitement I might of otherwise had.

Sayers

Shouldn't the OT for the next installment of the God damn Sims be longer than 5 pages almost a week after it opened? Maybe I'm looking in all of the wrong places but there seems to be absolutely no hype for this game. I think EA is going to be pretty disappointed in its sales performance.

All pre-release hype got sucked out by The Sims 4 revealing itself to be a disappointing bummer. GAF probably isn't too representative of the overall Sims fanbase, but I certainly hope EA will feel the same way about the game's sales.

Stuart444

All pre-release hype got sucked out by The Sims 4 revealing itself to be a disappointing bummer. GAF probably isn't too representative of the overall Sims fanbase, but I certainly hope EA will feel the same way about the game's sales.

I have a strong feeling there will be a lot of disappointed Sims fans when they buy this game and see what's NOT in it. Many fans from what I see tend to be the type that sees "sims" and automatically buys it, especially a numbered title because it's not a spin-off

geetec

Neo Member
Pretty much skipped The Sims 3. So I'm still wanting this day 1 but I'm going to hold back, let some reviews roll out and then I'll think about getting it.

Hopefully this is a case of less is more, however like you all I'm really doubting it.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I hope to get a detailed review from my sister to post. She's a casual gamer that's been playing a lot of sims2/3 the past 5 years. She's mostly into mods and character/interior design.

McNum

Well this sure fill me with confidence in the upcoming game.

Fansites receive advance copies of The Sims 4 while reviewers don't.

So what this boils down to, essentially, is that that you cannot trust anything said by a fansite about The Sims 4 as it's unclear who has special access and what the terms of that access may be.

Extra special fun. That thread is on the official The Sims forum, and it's anti-stickied. Meaning no matter when the last post is made, it will never rise to the front page. Didn't know that was a thing. Also, it seems very underhanded. Ah well... Streisand Effect, I choose you!

C.Dark.DN

Banned

So what this boils down to, essentially, is that that you cannot trust anything said by a fansite about The Sims 4 as it's unclear who has special access and what the terms of that access may be.

Extra special fun. That thread is on the official The Sims forum, and it's anti-stickied. Meaning no matter when the last post is made, it will never rise to the front page. Didn't know that was a thing. Also, it seems very underhanded. Ah well... Streisand Effect, I choose you!
Censorship ftw!

I found out about Origin Great Game Guarantee on the first page tho. Didn't know they did that.

Sims 4 will support it I guess, so you have 24 hours to return it.

Anti-stickied... only in EA.

As a side note: Thank God this forum doesn't allow signatures... my god those look atrocious on thesims forum.

Koomaster

Yeah none of that is suspicious at all!

Not to deride all fan sites but many of them (simsvip being the most egregious) have been the loudest supporters of the Sims 4 and harassing anyone who posts any negative views about the missing features. So for them to receive advance copies when reviewers haven't is pretty suspect.

Also if I recall Simsvip was the one arguing with an IGN reviewer or fans on twitter when news broke that reviewers wouldn't be getting an advance copy. Simsvip being on EAs side on this. So for them to now receive an advance copy... yeah.

Never heard of an anti-sticked thread before, that's sure something new.

Yeah none of that is suspicious at all!

Not to deride all fan sites but many of them (simsvip being the most egregious) have been the loudest supporters of the Sims 4 and harassing anyone who posts any negative views about the missing features. So for them to receive advance copies when reviewers haven't is pretty suspect.

Also if I recall Simsvip was the one arguing with an IGN reviewer or fans on twitter when news broke that reviewers wouldn't be getting an advance copy. Simsvip being on EAs side on this. So for them to now receive an advance copy... yeah.

Dan Stapleton of IGN observed there won't be pre-release review copies of The Sims 4 and that he 'was getting nervous'. Alexis of SimsVIP fired off a baffling TwitLonger reponse which has since been deleted.

Koomaster

Dan Stapleton of IGN observed there won't be pre-release review copies of The Sims 4 and that he 'was getting nervous'. Alexis of SimsVIP fired off a baffling TwitLonger reponse which has since been deleted.
Yep that's what I was thinking about. Other than her not getting the point; I remember reading that at the time and laughing at her definition of 'articles' since her site does a lot of aggregate type stuff and posts links to other site's actual articles. So for her to tout out 600+ articles for simsvip was pretty amusing.

inky

Z3JK28D.png

EA has no confidence on their product and are expecting fan-sites to do what they themselves could not. EMBARRASSING by all involved.

is it that these gaming sites and magazines don't have the game to review, or they have it but can't release a review until the games released?

Koomaster

is it that these gaming sites and magazines don't have the game to review, or they have it but can't release a review until the games released?
They don't have a copy of the game. Which means they have to obtain a copy on release date and then play it and then write their review which could take a few days. This is opposed to how it's normally done where reviewers get the game early and can play it through and write a review ready for or before release.

That's why all this is suspect since it looks like EA is trying to hold off any bad reviews till after the game has already come out. So if anyone searches for a review before buying they will either find none, or find glowing reviews from diehard sims fansites.

EA is within their right to do this, but it doesn't make them or the game look very good to people following what's going on.

They don't have a copy of the game. Which means they have to obtain a copy on release date and then play it and then write their review which could take a few days. This is opposed to how it's normally done where reviewers get the game early and can play it through and write a review ready for or before release.

That's why all this is suspect since it looks like EA is trying to hold off any bad reviews till after the game has already come out. So if anyone searches for a review before buying they will either find none, or find glowing reviews from diehard sims fansites.

EA is within their right to do this, but it doesn't make them or the game look very good to people following what's going on.

It has to unlock on Origin so EA has every opportunity to grant or withold access.

I think it's funny that even with all the NDAs and hardcore fan gushing, EA Maxis hasn't been able to keep the lid on the problematic design and scarcity of content since their 'creator's camp' fan event... if their most dedicated fans can't even keep the narrative positive, what hope does the game have 'in the real world'?

Tabby

Some reviewers have the game early, though I don't know how.
Whoever is reviewing it for IGN is going to start reviewing it tomorrow.

Can someone link me the negative impressions from Creator's Camp? I'm curious what Sims fans are saying about it.
I mean, Sims 3 had a ton of hate before the release too but no one seems to talk about that.

The only thing I feel reading the OP is wanting to install the Sims 3 again.

It was so easy creating a followup of the foundations that the sims 3 borught, and they failed big time.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

It appears that thread got deleted? I can't seem to access it.

lol EA

Zareka

Man have I been looking forward to this OT. Godspeed, OP.

Yup they just deleted it.

It'd be funny if it wasn't so transparent. Now? Now it's hilarious.
Are they even trying any more? From what I've seen fansites are the only ones properly defending this thing to the end. It just makes this all so...obvious.

elelunicy

People here really want professional reviewers to review this game? Really?

Like their opinion ever mattered to this series.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Build Mode seems good enough. Dunno how much options you actually get with the base game though.

Lucinice

Neo Member
I feel like the best case scenario for this game is that while it's disappointing it's solid enough so that after an expansion or two it's really good, then I can wait for a bundle deal to get it.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I feel like the best case scenario for this game is that while it's disappointing it's solid enough so that after an expansion or two it's really good, then I can wait for a bundle deal to get it.

Yeah, if you're remotely interested in the game it's best to wait for lots of reviews and impressions, and optionally wait for further patches, addons, mods, and pricedrops.

Regret buying SimCity from the start. I could deal with the servers crapping out at launch, and while it's addictive SimCity at first, after a while you start noticing how *limited* things are and how bad/quirky the simulation is.

I have the impression The Sims 4 isn't going to be that *bad*, even with the removed stuff, but I'm definitely not buying it day 1.

Tabby

The impressions would have to be universal praise at this point to change my mind. As the cut features lists makes it sound like at launch this game will be a huge step back.

Oh well. The Sims 3 was like this as well.

Some of the fans angry at some of the changes at launch, fans get it anyway, game gets more content as they release more content patches/expansions and then no one complains anymore because the game has been out several years and it has a bunch of content.

Mr. F

Banned
This is likely going to be another hit and it bums me out, modern Maxis is an embarrassing shadow of its former self.

Please do not buy this game

We don't know whether the game will be crap or not (it's looking like pretty bad though).

If it does end up being a massively underwhelming game, I hope that this is the game that people absolutely don't buy and EA gets a message that this type of crap can't continue.

I feel bad for the devs of this game because I bet they would delay this game at least another year to be able to put all these missing features in. Or at least try. It makes no sense from the developer's standpoint to release a title that will obviously get bad reputation.

Top Bottom