• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elminage Gothic |OT| - I cast magic missile at the darkness!

Gattsu25

Banned
You need to visit the Training School to make your own characters.

OK, well that's one question down.

What do the stats do?

I see no place in the manual were they explain this..and the UI doesn't give any hints when mousing over them.

STR - Assuming this is your melee damage stat
INT - Assuming this is max MP plus mage spell effectiveness
Piety - Assuming this is clearic/healing spell effectiveness
VIT - Assuming this is max HP and increased HP earned on level up (also damage mitigation?)
AGI - Assuming this is your ranged damage stat plus hit evasion (plus damage mitigation?)
Luck - Assuming this is your critical hit chance plus miniscule bonuses to other areas

cj_iwakura

OK, well that's one question down.

What do the stats do?

I see no place in the manual were they explain this..and the UI doesn't give any hints when mousing over them.

STR - Assuming this is your melee damage stat
INT - Assuming this is max MP plus mage spell effectiveness
Piety - Assuming this is clearic/healing spell effectiveness
VIT - Assuming this is max HP and increased HP earned on level up (also damage mitigation?)
AGI - Assuming this is your ranged damage stat plus hit evasion (plus damage mitigation?)
Luck - Assuming this is your critical hit chance plus miniscule bonuses to other areas

Luck also affects odds of disarming/triggering traps in chests.

KiTA

Kinda got stalled in this. Going to switch my Bishop into a Mage - the leveling is too slow and Teleport is too useful. I should have known better than to start with Bishop like I did, heh. Its what, level 32 or so before teleport on a Bishop, when its 14ish on a mage?

I miss being able to spam Flameberges for a great free fire spell early on. You can still do that but they break very quickly.

I've seen tales elsewhere of using some Pact capabilities on a Summoner to wrangle up some unique monster-race party member fodder---what all crazy possibilities has anybody delved on this front yet?

Dorarnae

Kinda got stalled in this. Going to switch my Bishop into a Mage - the leveling is too slow and Teleport is too useful. I should have known better than to start with Bishop like I did, heh. Its what, level 32 or so before teleport on a Bishop, when its 14ish on a mage?

I miss being able to spam Flameberges for a great free fire spell early on. You can still do that but they break very quickly.

they were not too bad in the other elminage for saving tons of cash so you could buy back your corpse ect. when you're not too used to these game, but yeah they're so slow, I rarely play them now.

KiTA

I wonder if there's a way to put faceload images into the compressed ISO or whatnot that the game's emulator uses? If so, then it would be as simple as a small Java utility or somesuch, ran outside the game, to handle it.

I mean the game's looking for faceload files in a certain directory in the virtual file structure, right? If we can open the compressed image file the game's using, we could put files in there, right?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I wonder if there's a way to put faceload images into the compressed ISO or whatnot that the game's emulator uses? If so, then it would be as simple as a small Java utility or somesuch, ran outside the game, to handle it.

I mean the game's looking for faceload files in a certain directory in the virtual file structure, right? If we can open the compressed image file the game's using, we could put files in there, right?

id imagine if it was that simple ghostlight would have added the feature. do think it is a huge loss that it is not contained within the game as they would have had another strong piece of marketing if so.

KiTA

So I gave up and switched my Brawler -> Samurai over to a Mage. Even just using one of my fighters to do the actual killing, leveling was a lot faster. So I now have all the mage spells on him (hit 14, again, stupid easy) and have teleport, so have been doing the same thing with Cleric spells, then I'll do Alchemist and might even do Summoner just for a laugh.

But uh, yeah. What do I do with this OP utility character afterwards? He's destined to be a front line character, so... Brawler? Ninja? Samurai? My other two front liners are going to be a Lord and Samurai, so... Brawler or Ninja, I guess?

Has anyone gotten far enough with a Ninja to see if stealing Brawler weapons is as nerfed into oblivion as the Wiki suggests?

KiTA

Hm, apparently the game loads data files in the directory before it loads them out of the compressed file storage?

I.e., people are including custom portraits by putting in .dds files in the Elminage Gothic folder directly?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=318535516

Also discussion on how to mod the game, specifically to make the magic map stack to 99 or even infinite use:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/291960/discussions/0/616188677602487895/#c616188677720905241

I'll wade in myself in a minute -- I know the game's code still seems to be capable of loading portrait files, since it has a list when you create your character. It might just be possible to add things to that list manually, and if so, 5 minutes in Java to automate it?

Edit: Hm.

Search "Lightning Physical" (3 hits in 3 files)
D:\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Eliminage Gothic\S00\JOB_EX.csv (1 hit)
Line 15: 10,Lightning Physical Attack,??????,,,1,,,,,,,,1,,1,,,,0,-,-,,,,JOB_REITAI,"#define JOB_REITAI 10 //;????"
D:\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Eliminage Gothic\S00\JOB_LIST.csv (1 hit)
Line 15: 10,,,Lightning Physical Attack,
D:\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Eliminage Gothic\S00\JOBABL.csv (1 hit)
Line 3: ,No,???,???,????,Mage Spells,Cleric Spells,Dispel,Lightning Physical Attack,+1 Thief Skills,Alchemist Spells,??????????,??????????,???????,Banking,??????,Identification,Swift Attack,Pursuit,Thief Skills,Lower AC,Group Attack,???????,Tarot,Instrumental,Barrier,Summon Magic,Special Resistance UP,Two-Handed Wielding,??????????,Vigilance,????????,+1 Magic Power UP,Soul Release,Steal,Equipment Removal,??????????,High Purity Synthesis,??????,Magic Power UP,Pursuit Sweep,Combative Instinct,Alter Fate,Ancient Rites,Blood Oath,????,Court Sanctuary,Swallow Return,Surprise Attack,??,??,,7

Edit2:

Proof of Concept. Files in the subdirectories are not loaded, but files in the main directory are. I don't have whatever version of Fell Type Ghostlight is using, and I didn't match the colors quite right, but not bad for 2 minutes in photoshop? ;)

Parakeetman

Backgrounds, monster and character sprites. It's sporadic and sometimes just stops. =/

Man one thing Id suggest doing is try find a program that monitors your PCs heat and leave that running while playing Elminage. Cant imagine the game being graphically taxing at all, but just check to see if your system is overheating while you are playing which is what could cause the artifacts with your graphics.

While its not the same game, when my card died apparently it was due to overheating and whenever it heated up saw similar issues like what you posted.

Just might be one small thing to check, to try and narrow down what the issues are.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So for folks turned off by the limited map usage, here is a method for unlimited maps:

1.) Download BRAUnpack from here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/6y88fnp3rujq39b/BRAUnpack.zip
2.) Copy BRAUnpack.exe to your base Eliminage Gothic folder (that contains elminage.exe)
3.) Run BRAUnpack.exe. You'll end up with folders named S00 - S03
4.) Go into S00 and find Item.csv open it up in a spreadsheet editor. Go to cell 606,AY and set the value to 0 and then go to cell 606,AZ and set that value to 0. Then save the file.
5.) Copy item.csv into the root elminage folder with elminage.exe.

You'll need at least 1 map in your inventory for this, but it'll be infinite usage.

Shizuka

Since I no longer have any access to my old PC controller, how is controlling the game with a trackpad and keyboard on a laptop?

Seda

Just got around to completing the main game.
Cyclanos is a jerk with his high HP regen, statuses, beheadings..
I mostly ended up besting him by using Immortarati (or however you spell it), a Fighter with High King's Sword from a quest for high physical damage, and liberal use of Miracle spells (healing and obtaining best AC status, and regaining spells use for more Immortarati casts). My mage lost several levels but it worked out!

Probably not going to go through post-game content right now, as I've put way too many hours into this game since release. I did end up cheating using the maps on the Wiki for the latter half of the game, as managing maps just became a little bit of a chore rather than an interesting limitation.

This was my first foray into a wizardry style game and I enjoyed it a lot. I'm having a difficult time putting it into words though. Every battle has a chance to be tense; You get basically absolute control over your party make-up; there are a lot of quests to keep on top of to reward going out of your way. It's the type of game you have to approach most things quite meticulously or deliberately, and requires a bit of patience in most regards. It doesn't hold hands in any manner.

The game became a lot easier when I gained multiple casts of Diomente, which made it much easier to move around and complete quests. It allowed me to heal up before boss encounters and to take them on with rested characters.

I never used an alchemist or bothered with the workshop.
wtzgU.gif

Parakeetman

Just got around to completing the main game.
Cyclanos is a jerk with his high HP regen, statuses, beheadings..
I mostly ended up besting him by using Immortarati (or however you spell it), a Fighter with High King's Sword from a quest for high physical damage, and liberal use of Miracle spells (healing and obtaining best AC status, and regaining spells use for more Immortarati casts). My mage lost several levels but it worked out!

Probably not going to go through post-game content right now, as I've put way too many hours into this game since release. I did end up cheating using the maps on the Wiki for the latter half of the game, as managing maps just became a little bit of a chore rather than an interesting limitation.

This was my first foray into a wizardry style game and I enjoyed it a lot. I'm having a difficult time putting it into words though. Every battle has a chance to be tense; You get basically absolute control over your party make-up; there are a lot of quests to keep on top of to reward going out of your way. It's the type of game you have to approach most things quite meticulously or deliberately, and requires a bit of patience in most regards. It doesn't hold hands in any manner.

The game became a lot easier when I gained multiple casts of Diomente, which made it much easier to move around and complete quests. It allowed me to heal up before boss encounters and to take them on with rested characters.

I never used an alchemist or bothered with the workshop.
wtzgU.gif

nice little write up (*´ω`*)

how i usually describe it is the fear of death is what keeps these games fresh and exciting!

I've been neglecting this for other games, but those lizardmen in the second dungeon are some real motherfuckers! Finally putting all those Vancian casts to use to tame the potential party-wide damage they can do.

nice little write up (*´ω`*)

how i usually describe it is the fear of death is what keeps these games fresh and exciting!

"An easy Dungeon Crawler is a boring Dungeon Crawler"

Faustek

First forgive the faux pas but I'm wondering if anyone know what Ghostlight said about a PSP/V Release? Or if this game is perhaps usable via shield?

Reasons: Usual ones, I have less time to actually sit down in front of the computer and play, I'm always around and about :/

Parakeetman

First forgive the faux pas but I'm wondering if anyone know what Ghostlight said about a PSP/V Release? Or if this game is perhaps usable via shield?

Reasons: Usual ones, I have less time to actually sit down in front of the computer and play, I'm always around and about :/

nothing concrete on it has been said or announced unfortunately.

Parakeetman

I'm sorry if this has been asked and answered before, but does the game have native controller support?

Not sure Id have to ask Ghostlight_Ross about that. On the steam page says "partial controller support" but am not too sure what that exactly means. On top of the manual does not list anything about controller support. When I hear back from him Ill do up a new post. Sent him a mail so will be waiting for a reply.

Shizuka

Not sure Id have to ask Ghostlight_Ross about that. On the steam page says "partial controller support" but am not too sure what that exactly means. On top of the manual does not list anything about controller support. When I hear back from him Ill do up a new post. Sent him a mail so will be waiting for a reply.

Yes it does :)

Thank you, guys! Finally got my PC controller back, gotta give it a go now.

Making some new progress. Into the 4th dungeon in between games.

Man, there's a ton of some dungeons you never NEED to go to. I had my breakthru when I realized this.

Who knew little red riding hoods could out-wreck ninjas?

Quests are happening, some good stuff for rewards without it feeling like they're burying you in loot.

Finally getting some real increases in my materials with those 3rd and 4th dungeons, so my gear upgrades and alchemy feel fully "realized" now.

I need a backup healer. This one cleric setup is really playing with fire (Br/Fi/Cl/Al/Ma/Ra)

Parakeetman

Is the modding community up to anything special, i.e. custom OSTs and such?

Id say it would depend if the original code which allows that and things like the portraits is in the build or not. Since if its not implemented then there would be no real way for them to easily mess with the game in the same way as with the psp version that had the feature.

Though since am not sure how its all made up internally its all speculation, though once again if the specific code was left out, most def would make it a lot more work for anyone trying to do something like custom music.

Am not sure if Ghostlight Ross would be in a position to answer the questions as it has to do with internal related details which generally is not shared in the public outside of simple answers such as the whole custom portraits / status pictures not being in the current PC release.

Making some new progress. Into the 4th dungeon in between games.

Man, there's a ton of some dungeons you never NEED to go to. I had my breakthru when I realized this.

Who knew little red riding hoods could out-wreck ninjas?

Quests are happening, some good stuff for rewards without it feeling like they're burying you in loot.

Finally getting some real increases in my materials with those 3rd and 4th dungeons, so my gear upgrades and alchemy feel fully "realized" now.

I need a backup healer. This one cleric setup is really playing with fire (Br/Fi/Cl/Al/Ma/Ra)

Yeah most def having back up characters in the event of "accidents" is a huge must with the series. lol. The age system puts a bit of stress on you too with the lower life span races since once you hit a certain point their effectiveness will start to go backwards and you will need to replace them. But that depends on how long you take with the game and such.

Id say it would depend if the original code which allows that and things like the portraits is in the build or not. Since if its not implemented then there would be no real way for them to easily mess with the game in the same way as with the psp version that had the feature.

Though since am not sure how its all made up internally its all speculation, though once again if the specific code was left out, most def would make it a lot more work for anyone trying to do something like custom music.

Am not sure if Ghostlight Ross would be in a position to answer the questions as it has to do with internal related details which generally is not shared in the public outside of simple answers such as the whole custom portraits / status pictures not being in the current PC release.

Yeah most def having back up characters in the event of "accidents" is a huge must with the series. lol. The age system puts a bit of stress on you too with the lower life span races since once you hit a certain point their effectiveness will start to go backwards and you will need to replace them. But that depends on how long you take with the game and such.

True, but covering bases like this is so powerful; rolling these spells onto another class will fix some of that.

But having everything go like buttah zero or negative AC then *SNIKT* *SNIKT* goes the heads and it's a scary trip back to town, haha.

And I've already deaged that Fairic twice with traps. :D

Parakeetman

If anyone was waiting (I know I was), Elminage Gothic was released on GOG.com yesterday:

http://www.gog.com/game/elminage_gothic

Which adds Starfish SD to the small list of Japanese developers on GOG (cheers ghostlight).

Nice to see that it got added to GOG, will be able to tell my friend since I know he was waiting specifically for that. No idea why considering he has steam also, but at least its good news for him.

Lanrutcon

So I just started playing this like a bloody idiot. I should have started ages ago.

I have some questions:

a) My dudes miss a lot (scept for my Brawler) despite having similar stats. Is this normal? what dictates accuracy apart from the weapons stat?
b) My casters have no hp and are dying in a single hit from anything. I don't know how to remedy this apart from swapping classes. My frontline have 70+ hp a piece, my casters have less than 20. The lizardmen in my current dungeon kill them quite casually.
c) Changing classes seems weird. As far as I can see you only get spells and hp from your old class. Sooo...can I just make everyone a class with high hp, then switch them to something with spells, then switch them to whatever I want since they'll now have high hp and spells?
d) How do I get better gear? All I find are the items from the starting shop, and doing 3 to 7 damage an attack when things have 50hp and come in large groups tells me I'm missing something.

Loving the game. Reminds me a ton of the old Mordor/DoD games, with the obvious Wizardry heritage.

Top Bottom