• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

Mairu

Great idea! Thank you! Do you recommend Uber in Tokyo? Just looking at Google Maps it seems like it would be a half hour Uber compared to 1hr 10min train ride (although it could be because it's currently 3AM in Tokyo).

Uber is very expensive and there aren't many drivers in Tokyo. Might want to adjust the time on the Google Maps directions for something more accurate

Ennosuke

Mori Tower in Roppongi for around 2000 yen worth it? I love the idea of the Skydeck und would probably skip the Tokyo Tower observation deck. On the other hand the Government building has a free observation deck.

Mori Tower in Roppongi for around 2000 yen worth it? I love the idea of the Skydeck und would probably skip the Tokyo Tower observation deck. On the other hand the Government building has a free observation deck.

I enjoyed it, and you also get access to the art exhibit. Since it's open air you don't get any glare or smudges from windows in your pictures.

Mairu

Mori Tower > Tokyo Tower >>> Skytree

Tokyo City View is the best view of Tokyo 👍🏻.

shas'la

I enjoyed it, and you also get access to the art exhibit. Since it's open air you don't get any glare or smudges from windows in your pictures.

I also think there is some sort of Marvel exhibit in there at the moment, so should be a nice thing to see as a bonus!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Somewhat random post but I was in Wasabi in London and their packs of potato sticks are just like the little pots of potato sticks from Jagbee in case you've stumbled on them

good lord it gets cold in a hurry out here. it's 5:30pm now and it feels like a complete different region all of a sudden. the sun's not even completely set yet for crying out loud!

Rydeen

good lord it gets cold in a hurry out here. it's 5:30pm now and it feels like a complete different region all of a sudden. the sun's not even completely set yet for crying out loud!
I'm from Seattle so this is like being back home for me lol. Where are you staying right now?

Question regarding Osaka Amazing Pass. The pamphlet on their site show two example using Umeda and Namba but i do not have to start from either of the two places and can freely choose where i start and where i want to go correct?

Thriller

Hey guys, I'll be going to Japan again in less than a month but I wanted to ask if there is a direct Shinkansen train from Tokyo to Okayama or if we need to change trains at Shin-Osaka.

I hope that someone can help me out because I cant figure it out myself :(

man, this rain is making me want to stay in today. :(

Hey guys, I'll be going to Japan again in less than a month but I wanted to ask if there is a direct Shinkansen train from Tokyo to Okayama or if we need to change trains at Shin-Osaka.

I did a check on map and it looks like it should be just straight over there instead of switching. I'll check out the chart later on to confirm that.

Any problems with switching trains?

Tokyo in the rain at night is the ultimate in cyberpunk aesthetics, I live for it. If it stays wet tonight I'm going out and taking photos.

lol send me a PM if you do. I'm gonna spend the whole night out tonight and then try to catch the tuna auction at Tsukiji plus get some sushi breakfast.

for crying out loud! I got here at the Tsukiji tuna auction at 3:15am and the 5:25am 60 slots are already filled? at least I get to go on the 2nd auction at 6:15am.

How is the free wifi in japan ?

Is it everywhere like Seoul / Korea ? Or scarce ?

I'm wondering if I should pay extra to my carrier for Data in Japan or rent a portable wifi provider (about 6€ per day... yeah its expensive and not sure how good it will work)

N0VAM0D

I'm wondering if I should pay extra to my carrier for Data in Japan or rent a portable wifi provider (about 6€ per day... yeah its expensive and not sure how good it will work)

I'm currently going through the exact same issue. I've heard that free wifi isn't a huge thing in Japan though, aside from places like your hotel or Starbucks, etc; I've been thinking it would just be cheaper overall to pay an extra $5 AUD per day for international data roaming rather than grab a portable wifi at this stage. Plus one less thing to worry about charging/losing is a pretty good thing I guess!

pretty sure a lot of restaurants, hotels and even subway stations have free WiFi. thou I just pay to have a portable wifi hotspot along with me for the duration of my tour.

hitoman

Speaking of portable wifi, anyone have any recommendations? We're going to Tokyo and Hakone. I need it to be delivered to my hotel. I see plenty of options online, just not sure what's legit or not.

Rydeen

Free wifi is everywhere, yes. I turned my data off and have been using wifi exclusively via the hostel I'm staying at, all the Tokyo Metro and JR stations, almost all restaurant and convenience stores, etc.

eosos

Banned
Just thought of this, but are there any must go to clubs in Tokyo?? Price isn't a major factor (hotels and flight are free).

No, no problems but direct just has my preference ;)

Alright. Remember that you can't take Nozomi trains if you have an JR Pass.

Speaking of portable wifi, anyone have any recommendations? We're going to Tokyo and Hakone. I need it to be delivered to my hotel. I see plenty of options online, just not sure what's legit or not.

Depends on how much data you need.

Hey guys, I'm thinking of going to the Fuji Shibazakura Festival and I was wondering where was the best place to stay close to it? Hakone or maybe some other area? Is it reachable by train?

The best place would probably be somewhere near Lake Kawaguchi. Hakone is too far away to be viable. Even staying in Tokyo would probably be faster if you got an JR Pass or take the Shinkansen than Hakone :p

Ennosuke

Only 3 hours left and then I am going to take off to Tokyo. Excited, but also a little bit nervous, I don't like long flights, I feel like they are very exhausting. I guess I will have to play Vita all flight long :)

Only 3 hours left and then I am going to take off to Tokyo. Excited, but also a little bit nervous, I don't like long flights, I feel like they are very exhausting. I guess I will have to play Vita all flight long :)

everyone deals with long flights differently, personally depends on my arrival time at the destination, I either watch movies all flight or sleep all flight. the on board alcohol would help with the later.

what's your schedule over there like? only staying in Tokyo or you going to other places?

N0VAM0D

Good luck!

I'm flying out in about 4 hours, I'm so nervous for the flight, but I just gotta remember that it'll be worth it :))

I did +$5 for international roaming on my phone one year, under 48 hours trip I thought it was great.

did it again this year, 3 week trip, it was terrible? and super lucky my friends got the hot spots.

I highly suggest just renting a hotspot

Mairu

T-Mobile's international data that comes with One Plus is pretty good. I still typically rent a hotspot since I do a lot of photo uploading while I'm abroad, but it's more than good enough for Google Maps/directions/etc.

N0VAM0D

I did +$5 for international roaming on my phone one year, under 48 hours trip I thought it was great.

did it again this year, 3 week trip, it was terrible? and super lucky my friends got the hot spots.

I highly suggest just renting a hotspot

Ah, I'm there for 3 weeks. I'll test out the +$5 international roaming for like a day or two to see how it is, and if I'm not happy, I'll just rent a hotspot I guess 😊

I've been going through my photos from my last two trips and getting super hyped up. It almost makes me want to plan things a bit this time.

danowat

Banned
Just trying to firm up my itinery, and I am questioning whether to visit Lake Kawaguchiko for a day trip, or head to Hakone instead.

Any thoughts?

In Kawaguchiko was were planning to get some decent views of Fuji (weather permitting of course) and go up the Kachi Kachi Ropeway and on the lake pleasure cruise.

Just take in some scenery really.

Well, if you want to get the best chance of getting good views of Mt. Fuji, you should go to Kawaguchiko. If you're more interested in onsens then Hakone probably got better ones.

Top Bottom