• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For March 2017 [Up2: Year to date charts, platform specific charts]

Banned
Great month for Switch. Hoping the switch becomes the next Wii for Nintendo. They need it.

How can we trust info coming from a banned member? After all, NeoGAF is the ultimate authority, being a nexus of hardcore gamers and all.

*sniffs own farts*
*satisfied expression appears on face*

What I don't get is how threads using ZhugeEX sales data get closed due to him being a permanently banned member on here, yet when it's time for the monthly NPD thread his data is used no problem. Is there some kind of double standard I'm not aware of?

Wrong, I used sold numbers. Sell through was estimated to be near shipment.

You're talking sold, but you're basing that on shipped. Basically, what I'm telling you is that you dont have enough datas to make comparison.

Especially one being 220k PC (based on sold number) vs 800k PS4 (based on shipped numbers which you extrapolate sold numbers)

There's just something you dont want to comprehend, it's not to say you're right or wrong, it's to say you're extrapolating without enough datas and usually with the wrong conclusions.

You started with 200k PC based on Steamspy and 800k PS4 (because you didnt knew it was shipped and there was physical pc versions).
Then in this very thread, you thought all these 200k sales were PS4 physical only.
Then you thought it was PS4+PC physical only (relying on the fact it may have been PS4 mostly considering the state of physical PC market).
To then understand it was PS4+PC+Digital on both.

Hence why I keep arguing with you: You draw your conclusions too fast with the wrong elements.
When you claimed it was 200k PS4 physical only, this was wrong.
It was 130k PS4 physical + digital and 70k PC digital (no physical version in USA iirc).
No need to get upset, no need to get defensive. Both versions did well and the game did well too.

Jigorath

Banned
The fact that Horizon sold more units than there were Switch units shipped to the US is... not that impressive? I'd be more shocked if Horizon didn't hit 1 million units sold.

The last time a Sony game launched at 1m+ in the US was God of War III. It's extremely rare for Sony's titles to hit that mark.

Comparing PS to Nintendo consoles in strict console sold is not fair imo. The majority of people who buy a PS console buy it to play the biggest 3rd party games not because they care about Sony exclusives. It's the opposite on Nintendo consoles where Nintendo output is why people buy the console in the first place since big 3rd party support is basically non-existent.
Ughhh. It's totally fair. The user base of the PS4 blows the Switch user base out of the water. There is no comparing how good Horizon did against Zelda.

Loris146

1 ML for HZD is an amazing result , no doubt. It's the biggest launch for a new (exclusive ) IP since Gears of War which was around 1 ML too .

Unknown?

The fact that Horizon sold more units than there were Switch units shipped to the US is... not that impressive? I'd be more shocked if Horizon didn't hit 1 million units sold.
Do you know how games work? Or are you in fantasy land where a huge install base means guaranteed success for new IPs?

1 ML for HZD is an amazing result , no doubt. It's the biggest launch for a new (exclusive ) IP since Gears of War which was around 1 ML too.
So it hit 1M with DD?

I have to give major credit to NPD now. Providing bigger lists as well as having reps come in here and provide some information is a huge help and pretty much revives these threads. Well done, NPD.

Thanks and believe it or not we are actually listening to what NeoGaf is saying. Mat, myself and several guys at NPD Games are all gamers. I am currently playing Warp and Syndicate (Steam pile of shame !) and we care just as much as people here but we also work in a very competitive environment. There are differing priorities from our business partners that at times requires a lot of negotiating and understanding on our end to win hearts and minds.

Shout out to horizon new ip with a badass female lead in a great setting

Shout out to Zelda being an old franchise and still surprising ppl and being new and fresh

Shout out to neir since announcement it was supposedly going to bomb not only was it a great game but selling well too.

Shout out to Ghost recon for giving me good coop fun with my buddies, Ubisoft absolutely smashing it all gen

Too many shoutouts to give this month

Special mention to best sports game on the market

Chris1

I totally forgot about it lol.

Was it higher than 1 ML only on XB1?

It was only on XB1 at launch month. The 360 version was delayed until April remember.

Well and PC, but that's all digital and didn't count back then.

Titanfall done crazy numbers all things considering. 1M+ at retail for an exclusive new IP that early in the gen is insane

It was only on XB1 at launch month. The 360 version was delayed until April remember.

Well and PC, but that's all digital and didn't count back then.

Titanfall done crazy numbers all things considering. 1M+ at retail for an exclusive new IP that early in the gen is insane

Actually new ip does better early in the gen. People tend to be more willing to try new untested ips when they have their new console and all the mainstays aren't out yet.

That's how a game like Knack does well despite not being a very good game. Titanfall was a great game so it did even better.

What I don't get is how threads using ZhugeEX sales data get closed due to him being a permanently banned member on here, yet when it's time for the monthly NPD thread his data is used no problem. Is there some kind of double standard I'm not aware of?

Wow, I didn't know he was perm banned.

What happened?

Also with an install base of only 2.5 million at that point of time. 40% attach rate.

It reflects how at the end of the day, big software really drives sales. Large install base matters, but when a game is desirable, install base is really secondary to a game's potential to sell well.

Chris1

Actually new ip does better early in the gen. People tend to be more willing to try new interested ips when they have their new console and all the mainstays aren't out yet.

I'm not arguing that but it still smashed every other exclusive new IP's released around launch times sales. I doubt even Watch dogs on XB1 alone beat Titanfall's sales (don't have the numbers though :p)

Also with an install base of only 2.5 million at that point of time. 40% attach rate.

It reflects how at the end of the day, big software really drives sales. Large install base matters, but when a game is desirable, install base is really secondary to a game's potential to sell well.

Yep, Install base matters but not near as much as people think. We see it all the time, Games open bigger on small install bases (I.E. Infamous SS), then counterparts on consoles with ten times the userbase. Fanbase just broadens as the install base grows.

jayu26

So that confirm my guess close to 1m for retail... thanks.
No. It looks like it sold 30-40% digitally, so retail is not close to 1m. Unless I am missing a joke.
I won't count them as big at least compare to other games .
Plus i should also note i talking about new IP which is my bad .
Current iteration of games in Last of Us and Uncharted make them the biggest exclusive franchises in the world not called Mario or Pokemon. So I don't know which universe you live in.
Add those things up, in a world where it seems like every new game is the "fastest selling ever," and it's not that unreasonable to have expected Horizon to break 1m.
You should look at software sales prediction threads and then talk about unreasonable Horizon expectations.

The last time a Sony game launched at 1m+ in the US was God of War III. It's extremely rare for Sony's titles to hit that mark.

Do you know how games work? Or are you in fantasy land where a huge install base means guaranteed success for new IPs?

I don't think Horizon is your average new IP. And I don't think software consumption on PS4 is the same as the average historical console.

Add those things up, in a world where it seems like every new game is the "fastest selling ever," and it's not that unreasonable to have expected Horizon to break 1m.

What I don't have a clue about is how its tail sales will do.

I don't think Horizon is your average new IP. And I don't think software consumption on PS4 is the same as the average historical console.

Uncharted didn't even do 1 mil..y'all will find anything man

What?? How is software consumption on PS4 different then the historical console? Yes it is...just because an install base gets big doesn't mean an audience for a certain game grows along with it, that's not how it works...at all. Bringing up install base makes no sense, and is just a way to try and Downplay a game. It's a massive success for a new IP..period. How is it not your avg new IP? Games sell massive all the time on Small install bases, install base grows just widens it's demographics, it doesn't equate game sales growing at the same rate.

RM8

Some people saw the WiiU failing as the market deciding they weren't into Nintendo anymore (which was always myopic if you looked at the 3DS but whatever). I'm so happy to see Nintendo being successful again, and I'm honestly glad their strategy of NOT doing a "big powerful expensive box" paid off, because we're better off being offered diverse options from different companies.

And, well, WiiU was truly an undesirable product, wasn't it? What a disaster.

pvpness

Neat to see NPD threads looking more like they used to long ago. Also cool to see people from NPD posting here after all this time.

So hype about Nier and Bomberman charting. Lol. Lookin good for the Switch and Horizon seems to be killing it as well. What a great month!

No matter how you spin it, a new, exclusive IP opening at 1m + is an amazing result. It's not something that should ever be expected given past numbers.

ggx2ac

What?? Yes it is...just because an install base gets big doesn't mean an audience for a certain game grows along with it, that's not how it works...at all. Bringing up install base makes no sense, and is just a way to try and Downplay a game. It's a massive success for a new IP..period. How is it not your avg new IP? Games sell massive all the time on Small install bases, install base grows just widens it's demographics, it doesn't equate game sales growing at the same rate.

It is? I thought Watch Dogs and Destiny were the definitions of New IPs with "Massive" success.

black070

I swear, only on GAF would 1M units of an exclusive new IP sold in one month in NA alone be shrugged off.

It is? I thought Watch Dogs and Destiny were the definitions of New IPs with "Massive" success.

Fun fact, they're both multiplatform.

Holy shi....We truly are back to the old npd thread ways..shame

They are multiplatform...are you saying Horizon was not a big success? LMAO, people here trying to downplay Horizon. If you said 3 months ago Horizon would do 1 mill in the US people would laugh at you.
There's an entire thread you can laugh at actually.(2017 bombs)Wouldn't be surprised if it's the same ppl

They are multiplatform...are you saying Horizon was not a big success? LMAO, people here trying to downplay Horizon. If you said 3 months ago Horizon would do 1 mill in the US people would laugh at you. Ridiculous.

ggx2ac

They are multiplatform...are you saying Horizon was not a big success? LMAO, people here trying to downplay Horizon. If you said 3 months ago Horizon would do 1 mill in the US people would laugh at you. Ridiculous.

I asked a question.

It sounds like everyone keeps getting into damage control over Horizon when it did what? 2.6 million in sales worldwide.

NSESN

I think Zelda still has a lot more to sell. With good word of mouth and low number of competitors I think it will mantain more than 50% attach rate for about a year.

No. It looks like it sold 30-40% digitally, so retail is not close to 1m. Unless I am missing a joke.

Current iteration of games in Last of Us and Uncharted make them the biggest exclusive franchises not called Mario or Pokemon. So I don't know which universe you live in.

I think Animal Crossing is still bigger

So Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has... 3 days of sales for April in NPD? Anyone think it has a chance of top 3 software for the month?
There isn't much games realeasing next month, so it should do it.

Kill3r7

I think the pendulum has definitely swung the other way now. Are you seriously saying that you would be shocked that a new IP did not sell 1 million units? On what planet are new console exclusive IPs expected to sell 1 million during their first month of release. Keep in mind that no previous GG game comes even close.

Zelda did great. It is a fantastic game, it is the better game of the two and sold more copies Switch + WiiU.

I asked a question.

It sounds like everyone keeps getting into damage control over Horizon when it did what? 2.6 million in sales worldwide.

I answered your question. ?? Who is doing damage control? People trying to say 1 million in the US alone for a New ip is not a big deal, when it is rare on one platform, and a big success...period for a new ip.

I think the pendulum has definitely swung the other way now. Are you seriously saying that you would be shocked that a new IP did not sell 1 million units? In what planet are new console exclusive IPs expected to sell 1 million during their first month of release. Keep in mind that no previous GG game comes even close.

Zelda did great. It is a fantastic game, it is the better game of the two and sold more copies Switch + WiiU.

1 Million in the US for a new IP is rare...but now people are trying to say it was expected? LOL sure, looking back at the old Horizon threads no one predicted 1 million in US at launch, no one.

Top Bottom