• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop sure seems to be pushing the Xbone hard...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaaz

I found this interesting table at a GameStop today, front and center so you had to walk around it, and completely with an interesting home-made sign and in-stock flyers:

535245D4-7ABF-466F-A913-551DB3ECC2BC.jpg

4BFA3EF2-7FEE-4199-80C0-C6E6B633A4D8.jpg

I've seen the same or similar set-up at least two other GameStops. They had a few empty PS4 boxes stacked but nothing near as prominent. Inquiries on whether the PS4 was in stock were met with a negative. In the last GameStop, the employee actually said he had a PS4 but was using it as a Kinect stand for his Xbone because the PS4 has no games, especially sports games. I didn't even bother with him.

Take it for what's it worth, but there seems to be a clear push at GameStop to move Xbones. It also appears from the homemade signs that GameStop is still trying to clear the air from the Xbone reveal fiasco earlier this year.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
They have a lot of stock. I got multiple emails from them on Christmas Eve and in the few days after Christmas that there were plenty in stock.

Applecot

It's the same here in Australia, they have stock all over the place. There's not point pushing something that's out of stock (aka PS4)

The places that do have some left over PS4 stock only put up A4 sheets saying they have some stock.

Riki

Because Microsoft has overloaded every store with units. And demand is not as high as expected.

Mrbob

Probably want to move stock. I went to Best Buy today and they had a huge pallet of XB1 systems in the middle of the aisle looking lonely.

SFenton

Take it for what's it worth, but there seems to be a clear push at GameStop to move Xbones. It also appears from the homemade signs that GameStop is still trying to clear the air from the Xbone reveal fiasco earlier this year.

They're trying to clear the air that they absolutely helped pollute. I find this slightly amusing.

BONDO

Well they need to sell.
PS4 needs no help selling itself....so the focus is on moving X1 inventory they may have.

I dont think Gamestop the company gives a crap....but there are plenty...plenty of biased employees.

GulAtiCa

They prob have a good bit of stock and want to sell them. Went to one in the mall yesterday and they had plenty out for display.

You can only make a profit on something that you sell. You can only sell something that you have...

Plus, a retailer should be platform agnostic and aim to inform its customers, allowing each to make up their own minds.

smurfx

get some go again
probably because they're able to obtain xbones easier than ps4's. can't sell software if you don't have any systems to sell.

jaaz

Where's this at? The Gamestop near at the mall near my house hasn't done this...yet at least.

Naples, Florida. This one was at a mall. Another one offsite had the same table, although not the same homemade sign. Saw a similar table in Miami too.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Wouldn't be surprised at all if they're being paid by MS.

Don't see that as necessarily a bad thing though. Same as any other advertisement.

Gah! It's because GameStop's are stuffed full of Xbox Ones. My store moved more Wii Us today than Xbox Ones, and we have more Xbox Ones in stock than any other console.

PS4s fly out the door as soon as we get them in, though. People follow the UPS guy into the store for them.

Last time I was at GameStop they had a video playing of GameStop employees talking about how amazing the Xbox one is. "Microsoft pioneered online gaming". They were saying shit like that

Saganator

Because they have them to sell. If they had PS4's in stock more often, they'd be pushing it, too. It took my local Costco over a week to sell 50'ish Xbone units (1 pallet) just a couple weeks before Christmas. They aren't selling that fast or they have really good supply/production.

Business pushing merchandise... sounds about right to me. At this point if people still have an issue about a policy that wasn't implemented it's hard for me to consider said individual rational. Drm isn't an issue...time to get over it and enjoy the great games and fun times with your friends on xbl.

Jomjom

Banned
My local best buy also has hand written signs for xbone. They had one that said "Xbox One in stock!" in huge letters and underneath it "PS4s also in stock" in super tiny letters.

I've seen both a lot of stock at just about every retail/specialty location in the Chicagoland area I've visited (couple dozen) and I've ran into a lot of what I suppose could be considered casuals that still think the initial policies are still in effect for the Xbox One. This doesn't surprise me that they are trying to push units.

PS4 isn't in stock so stores are pushing X1 hardcore to try and get sales revenue up over the holiday period.

Stock sitting around taking up space doesn't make you money so it makes sense. I can see X1 doing quite well over this period, 5 of my friends who wanted PS4's for Xmas ended up getting X1's instead since it's super hard to get a PS4 here in Australia at the moment unless you hit a store as they release uncollected pre-order stock.

Iresecia

Neo Member
I used to work at GameStop and I went in there after I'd left to talk to my former boss. He'd told me on the conference call (this was back when it was first announced mind you) that his DM was trying to find the good points of the system and see how hyped the managers were. And of course no one was really excited. The company was pretty annoyed in general though with the no used policy. I think they were still being told to push it pretty hard. Typical shady GS.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Gah! It's because GameStop's are stuffed full of Xbox Ones. My store moved more Wii Us today than Xbox Ones, and we have more Xbox Ones in stock than any other console.

PS4s fly out the door as soon as we get them in, though. People follow the UPS guy into the store for them.

Holy shit.

But yeah, as people have said, Xbox Ones aren't selling, so GameStop is displaying them front and center to move units. I highly doubt this is a Microsoft thing, but a "we don't have room, sell this crap" thing.

Let me tell you about the wonders of HD-DVD.

How do the shipments compare?

SFenton

Because they have them to sell. If they had PS4's in stock more often, they'd be pushing it, too. It took my local Costco over a week to sell 50'ish Xbone units (1 pallet) just a couple weeks before Christmas. They aren't selling that fast or they have really good supply/production.

I walked into a store pre-Christmas that had about 20 Xbox Ones out... in the half-hour I was there, all but one sold, and they'd already brought out more. Anecdotal evidence, etc., but at least in that situation, it looked like supply and demand were both pretty large.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Holy shit.

Wii U have been doing fairly ok lately. Dat giftcard audience. Went from a three deep stack to a one deep stack at Best Buy when I came in recently to get those sweet discounted eshop bucks.

If that were the case they'd have Wii Us in the front with a sign that says "Wii U is not a Wii addon."

Those did show up last year. It didn't help.

Mr. X

They are trying to push the Xbone as a substitute for the PS4 since they don't have any in stock and are still trying to meet sales goals.

Having stock now is bad and is considered "overstocked" and "not selling" now, reading some of these posts. :p

Gamestop is pushing new hardware they want to sell, don't see what's so surprising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom