• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM 2 |OT| Be Aggressive! Be Be Aggressive!

Wunder

Thinking of doing a quick character pool and jumping into Commander/Classic Ironman just to get a feel for the game. I expect to lose but hopefully last long enough to be able to import a bunch of video game/GAF character pools for my next playthrough

8bit

Knows the Score
Is there any chance of this running on a late 2014 Mac Mini in either Windows 10 or OSX?

The rush for meld was a huge improvement in EW to try and get rid of over watch camping. Put me in the camp that's for time limits as long as they're not every other mission.

It was my understanding that the meta game did have a time limit... specifically to prevent you grinding in prep for the end game, and that it was a loss condition.
I can't remember if I read it in the Eurogamer or Polygon review... but I know it was in one of them.

Is that not the case?

EDIT: It was the Eurogamer review.

Fishook

I am very concered about the performance. If TB's monster rig suffered constant frame drops with AA turned off, I imagine my poor GTX 760 will have a lot of trouble running this at an acceptable level

I would not worry, at the end of the day it's a turn based game so high FPS are not as crucial. Also since TB has got silly specs in terms of a average gamer, he tends to gets over obsessed with stuff, due his very expensive rig.

I am running Rise of the Tomb Raider quite happily on my 770 GTX on med/high settings, my PC is 4 and half years old, and know I need a new one, but I am happy to wait a few months. But I am not bothered with maxing graphics and having every effect running, as it can get OCD and rather expensive to keep up with the latest stuff.

Looking forward to playing it, tomorrow I am tempted to up the difficulty as I did not really struggle on on Normal on my two playthroughs of the first game

Carcetti

It was my understanding that the meta game did have a time limit... specifically to prevent you grinding in prep for the end game, and that it was a loss condition.
I can't remember if I read it in the Eurogamer or Polygon review... but I know it was in one of them.

Is that not the case?

Yeah it has a global lose timer.

diamount

Banned
I would not worry, at the end of the day it's a turn based game so high FPS are not as crucial. Also since TB has got silly specs in terms of a average gamer, he tends to gets over obsessed with stuff, due his very expensive rig.

I am running Rise of the Tomb Raider quite happily on my 770 GTX on med/high settings, my PC is 4 and half years old, and know I need a new one, but I am happy to wait a few months. But I am not bothered with maxing graphics and having every effect running, as it can get OCD and rather expensive to keep up with the latest stuff.

Looking forward to playing it, tomorrow I am tempted to up the difficulty as I did not really struggle on on Normal on my two playthroughs of the first game

Jaggies are noticeable regardless of what type of game it is.

Is that not the case?

Yes but you can move the timer back by undertaking certain missions. I think by the end though it won't let you grind endlessly.

McNum

It's not a timer as such, but the aliens have a win condition this time. They don't need to beat you, they just need to fill up the Avatar Project bar. Which you can also drain by doing things. It's more of a tug-of-war than a timer.

I'm planning to spend my entire weekend with this. Going to start with normal difficulty and ironman, hoping to be successful on my first try..
I also have 2 keys, was already wondering if I accidentally got the DLC too.

One of them is the preorder bonus.

Corto

Gentlemen, prepare to kick some Alien weird hairy ass. Or die trying.

And remember, 95% chances to hit it's still not 100%

Xcom+enemy+unkown+gameplay_6ca8bf_5027519.gif

Kudo

Really want to buy this, yesterday I was like "Yeah I can wait for the sale" now I'm sweating fighting back the urge.

How long are those GMG coupons valid? Could wait for first impressions..

It's not a timer as such, but the aliens have a win condition this time. They don't need to beat you, they just need to fill up the Avatar Project bar. Which you can also drain by doing things. It's more of a tug-of-war than a timer.

This I'm fine with. A set timer not so much.

Carcetti

Well, semantics. It's a timer you can slow and they can speed up. The advancement rate depends on how many bases they got set up at any given time.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Really want to buy this, yesterday I was like "Yeah I can wait for the sale" now I'm sweating fighting back the urge.

How long are those GMG coupons valid? Could wait for first impressions..

I can't even get the Regular code to work right now..

Random17

The Avatar timer in theory sound similar to the countries' timer, which was that the aliens are making steady progress in knocking out countries.

You can slow it down depending on how well you play, but you can't stop it and eventually you will lose.

Fishook

Jaggies are noticeable regardless of what type of game it is.

Not when you have poor eyesight like me (which I struggle to tell the difference), but I realise it's like paying for expensive headphones or anything once you are used to something, I admit I notice the difference with 720p and I do struggle playing older games nowadays.

Carcetti

The Avatar timer in theory sound similar to the countries' timer, which was that the aliens are making steady progress in knocking out countries.

You can slow it down depending on how well you play, but you can't stop it and eventually you will lose.

The best comparison is a 'tracker' that many board games use. If you ever played Arkham Horror, you'll know how the Avatar counter works.

Rewind

I am very concered about the performance. If TB's monster rig suffered constant frame drops with AA turned off, I imagine my poor GTX 760 will have a lot of trouble running this at an acceptable level

I'm also pretty concerned, I have sli 760s I'm just gonna assume sli is not going to work. Frame rate drops below 60 drive me crazy even with gsync so hopefully lowering all the shadows to med or low will get me the performance I need to not hate playing the game.

GKB

Still preloading, will be done in an hour or so.

I'm going to spend the weekend playing XCOM.

Lanrutcon

The best comparison is a 'tracker' that many board games use. If you ever played Arkham Horror, you'll know how the Avatar counter works.

"Miskatonic University's Drama department holds a play from the King in Yellow. Again.

Add 4 tokens and an unborn fetus to the Doom Track."

ManeKast

I'm staying awake all night tonight; goes live Australia time 5am.

My preload will be loaded by 4am by Steam estimates.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I'm also pretty concerned, I have sli 760s I'm just gonna assume sli is not going to work. Frame rate drops below 60 drive me crazy even with gsync

Really? Thought this mostly alleviated the issue?

Also, drive you crazy? Do you ever game below 60fps? While not preferable, it certainly wouldn't drive me out of my mind....

Nyx

And ofcourse I just got a call from a friend who wants to visit tomorrow evening, oh well, I'll be social and start up the game when he's gone. :)

membran

In his latest "WTF is" video, TotalBiscuit states that his review version has still the same performance issues like the preview version he had played a few weeks prior and that the problems with the action cam even got worse. He went with completely disabling AA and ambient occlusion, as those two appear to be the culprits, and recommended to disable the action cam until it's fixed. If I'm not mistaken, I recall him calling these action cam related issues "gamebreaking".

That doesn't sound too good. Any word on a day 1 patch?

Sigh, the last thing that I wanted to hear. I guess I'll just wait then.

aravuus

I've never been THAT much into X-com, but mod support could be enough to make me buy the game soon. Will have to see what kinda stuff people come up with.

e: this is my 1234th subbed thread, looks like I gotta buy it either way

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
In his latest "WTF is" video, TotalBiscuit states that his review version has still the same performance issues like the preview version he had played a few weeks prior and that the problems with the action cam even got worse. He went with completely disabling AA and ambient occlusion, as those two appear to be the culprits, and recommended to disable the action cam until it's fixed. If I'm not mistaken, I recall him calling these action cam related issues "gamebreaking".

That doesn't sound to good. Any word on a day 1 patch?

No, but the app has been fiddled with several times since the pre-load went live.

Moff

That doesn't sound to good. Any word on a day 1 patch?

other reviews did not mention this?
seems like a serious issue

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Maybe one of Long War's first mods will be controller support like was in EU/EW... I was planning on being a couch commander again, guess not! (I didn't read the fine print about no controller support at launch).

Klyka

Banned
No one should play with action cam anyway.

It has always been terrible and just a waste of time that artificially lengthens your turn times.

Top Bottom