• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ok GAF lets battle it out. Which franchise is better F-Zero or Wipeout

Pick yours

Results are only viewable after voting.
Yes, because Nintendo fans weren't shitposting at all.

I wasn't talking to a Nintendo fan shitposting, tho. It's important to keep the context of a post in mind.

This isn't shitposting, isn't it?

Don't blame me if the shoe fits. There's a very clear pattern going on. The majority of posts from Wipeout fans are focusing on the technical and artistic aspects.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Wipeout > F-Zero

Look into your heart. You know it to be true.

I like Wipeout. It's kinda a chill zone out kinda experience.

F-Zero's a totally different beast however. The way the racers interact hand how the tracks aren't really built just for hitting that perfect racing line. It's a far more entertaining experience to me overall.

Broritos

A handful of governments declared that F-Zero GX is officially the greatest racing game ever created.

Renowned scientists have been studying F-Zero GX and estimate a 99.9% probability that it is in fact, the best racing game.

FinalAres

this string of words is a good way to identify bad taste imo
You're right, I was too negative. What I meant is that f zero had simple gameplay, Wipeout is more complex. The air brakes make it uniqur and hard to master, but they fit the tracks perfectly. The idea that Wipeout is style over substance is ridiculous, it's style and substance which is why it's a classic series. F zero is not a classic series, no one other than diehard Nintendo fans gives two hoots about it. That's why theyre not made anymore.

It's also why there are a string of Wipeout clones on the market now, not f zero clones.

tzare

I wasn't talking to a Nintendo fan shitposting, tho. It's important to keep the context of a post in mind.
The fact that he gives an opinion in a similar way that some Nintendo/fzero fans have been doing about WipeOut is shitposting but the other way around aren't is interesting.
Don't blame me if the shoe fits. There's a very clear pattern going on. The majority of posts from Wipeout fans are focusing on the technical and artistic aspects
WO was more than just an awesome futuristic racer. I also enjoy a lot playing it because of the immersive soundtrack, awesome track design and, of course gameplay. It wouldn't be still alive of it was only the nice envelope.
But i guess it is just consolewars.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
WO has great gameplay. Deal with it.

It really doesn't. Unless you grew up in the PlayStation era where graphics and style were consistently valued over gameplay.

Pretty much. People are saying "wipeout introduced me to [insert band here], so I like it better." By that logic, Spotify is the greatest video game of all time

Basically. "Wipeout introduced me to graphic design". So Paul Rand is the greatest videogame developer ever?

El Topo

Are you guys really throwing shit at each other over something as irrelevant as what they think about F-Zero or Wipeout? This is exactly what OP wants. Just look at his smug face.
Who cares if someone thinks Wipeout sucks? Why would it matter if someone thinks F-Zero is shitty?

SigSig

The idea that Wipeout is style over substance is ridiculous, it's style and substance which is why it's a classic series. F zero is not a classic series, no one other than diehard Nintendo fans gives two hoots about it. That's why theyre not made anymore.

It's also why there are a string of Wipeout clones on the market now, not f zero clones.

preach

Lunar15

Normally I wouldn't care for threads where it's just "which one is better", but you can tell there's been some built up tension over the past couple of "New Wipeout/F-Zero Inspired Indie Game" threads where people are politely stating what makes each game different from the other.

Like, fuck yeah, those games AREN'T similar.

Lemaitre

Banned
F-Zero is leagues above Wipeout it's not even close. Most especially F-Zero GX where I agree that it was the best racer I have ever played.

TDLink

F-Zero for sure. Wipeout has been replicated, F-Zero still hasn't. It oozes such personality, love the wide cast of colorful and weird characters and the world they built for them to inhabit. And the tracks really feel designed for 30 racers, not some narrow thing.

Moofers

Another post from a Wipeout fan that seems to prefer style over substance.

LOL

Dude, F-Zero may have come around first, but it was improved upon by Wipeout in every way. Its okay to be an F-Zero fan, but saying its better than Wipeout is like trying to say Toshinden is better than Tekken. One series is dead despite being loved in its day, and the other is still kicking ass.

Besides, Wipeout XL/2048 came out and had no peers. Playing that game felt like playing the future itself. The weapons were awesome (flash bomb, quake bomb, etc) the speed was intense, the tracks were hyper-detailed, and the soundtrack was ahead of MTV by six months. It was the perfect storm of having amazing play, being a hardware showpiece, and tapping into hot culture ahead of the curve. Since then, the series has had some incredible entries across several platforms. It can't be denied.

Moofers

You're right, I was too negative. What I meant is that f zero had simple gameplay, Wipeout is more complex. The air brakes make it uniqur and hard to master, but they fit the tracks perfectly. The idea that Wipeout is style over substance is ridiculous, it's style and substance which is why it's a classic series. F zero is not a classic series, no one other than diehard Nintendo fans gives two hoots about it. That's why theyre not made anymore.

Boom. Wipeout has had others imitating it for years.

correojon

In this thread: rabid Nintendo fans who never played Wipeout claim that F-Zero is the better game as if it had even half the impact the Wipeout series had.

Let me ask this question in another way: Which series had you detonating quake bombs while The Chemical Brothers and The Prodigy played in the background during the height of the electronica invasion of the late 90s?

Wipeout Forever.

WipeOut probably wouldn´t even exist if it wasn´t for F-Zero. It´s just like Move, PSABR or the whole Dualshock layout, another instance of Sony looking at Nintendo and saying "me too!".

jts

...hate me...
Imagine how F-Zero could be nowadays if Nintendo gave a rat's ass about dying franchises and genres like Sony does.

Would be amazing and sell little like Wipeout.

FinalAres

This is like asking which is better Smash bros or playstation all stars....

F-Zero obviously
There are a lot of easy comparisons like that where it'll easily go Nintendos way. Smash Bros V Tekken I'd say would be a fairer match. Smash Bros is better. Mario Kart vs CTR. Mario easily. Mario against anything, Mario. Metroid against...Killzone? Metroid. Zelda V Horizon. BotW.

Nintendo does so much where they win hands down.

Not f zero.

Lunar15

I really have no fond memories of F-Zero for the SNES. I only really cared about the series with X and GX, which are fucking radical.

Any Wipeout game is probably better than SNES F-Zero. But man, X and GX are something else.

Xbro

There are a lot of easy comparisons like that where it'll easily go Nintendos way. Smash Bros V Tekken I'd say would be a fairer match. Smash Bros is better. Mario Kart vs CTR. Mario easily. Mario against anything, Mario. Metroid against...Killzone? Metroid. Zelda V Horizon. BotW.

Nintendo does so much where they win hands down.

Not f zero.

How many F-Zero games have you played?

F-Zero. GX is essentially the pinnacle of video gaming in my eyes.

However, take GX out of the equation and I'd say Wipeout is the stronger franchise overall. The other F-Zero games are a mixed bag, while the only real dud for Wipeout was Fusion.

Shout outs to Fast Racing Neo and XG3.

see5harp

Until Nintendo can make a great modern version with multiplayer and all of the bells and whistles I don't think I can say anything good about that busted ass franchise.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Okay yeah that post was a low point. I got caught up in the excitement.

It's fine. I get how that kind of reaction can come out. But as someone born in 1980, it was the thing I noticed most during the 90s when PS1 came out. Every ad was a CG trailer and everything seemed to focus on visuals. When the actual games themselves rarely played well during that era on Saturn/PS1/64.

FinalAres

The hypocrisy in your post is unreal.
I'm really not biased. Not only do I not have a problem with Nintendo, I love Nintendo. Have a Switch, spent hours on MK9, Wii has been my main console for years, I have got a ps4...as of 2 days ago, but am still playing my Nintendo.

I do have a problem with mindless fanboys though.

tzare

Man this thread has gone to shit. Why is it so difficult to enjoy your game without the need to shit on the other. It is embarrassing how some gamers feel they hold the truth to describe what is gameplay and what is not.
I guess that i must be bipolar because i love GX and specially snes fzero and also enjoy WipeOut a lot despite not being very good at it.

TDLink

Until Nintendo can make a great modern version with multiplayer and all of the bells and whistles I don't think I can say anything good about that busted ass franchise.

It's hard to see how they'd improve on GX honestly, other than adding online and improving the graphics. I imagine it's partially why they ceased making new entries.

Top Bottom