• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Interested in checking out Jackie Chan movies, where to start?

todahawk

Drunken Master and Drunken Master II (Legend of the Drunken Master in some regions) are top tier Jackie Chan.

I actually wouldn't mind reading some recommendations that I might have missed/overlooked.

This right here. Legend of Drunken Master is on NA Netflix still and it's amazing and my fav. Rumble in the Bronx is a close second.

Mahonay

Banned
Where's the gif of Jackie's spin kick on Benny in Wheels on Meals
Can't find it but here's this
NCK4A5V.gif

Canklestank

Neo Member
Wow, I haven't seen a lot of these since middle school, and some I've never seen. It looks like I need to binge some Jackie Chan again.

The biggest issue is finding out how to watch these post Blockbuster.

Wow, I haven't seen a lot of these since middle school, and some I've never seen. It looks like I need to binge some Jackie Chan again.

The biggest issue is finding out how to watch these post Blockbuster.
Drunken Master 2 is on Netflix, and most of the good ones are available to rent digitally on Amazon and iTunes

Don't forget to watch his films undubbed if possible.

You're aware all the classic Hong Kong films are dubbed in every release? And usually not by the actual actors either.

Also watch City Hunter!
Jackie+chan+as+chun+li+chan+li_c07937_4601909.gif

I love City Hunter, but I have no problem understanding why most people don't. Humour doesn't usually travel well, and there aren't many Hong Kong comedies I have enjoyed, but this one really worked for me.

karobit

Am I the only one who liked Thunderbolt? I'd never call it Jackie Chan's best film but the fight in the pachinko parlor is pretty good and the sequence in the junkyard is just brutal.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Here's some deeper cuts I think are underappreciated:

Miracles / Mr. Canton and Lady Rose/ The Canton Godfather/ Black Dragon (1989)

Jackie himself stated that this was one of his favorite movies I think---if not his favorite. Anyway, it deals with a kid (Jackie) from the countryside accidentally inheriting the leading position of a mob in 1930s Hong Kong. Anita Mui is in it and she's amazing.

Little Soldier Big General / Little Big Soldier (2010)

One of the more enjoyable pieces of new/commerical Mainland China cinema. It's kind of like midnight run set in the Qin Dynasty. Jackie plays a lowly footsoldier who is traveling the country with a rival General, looking to earn bounty money, but the two men slowly become friends. Not too much action if that's what you came in looking for.

I did a post a while ago of some of the cooler 2000s and later fight scenes of Jackie, I'll look it up.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Am I the only one who liked Thunderbolt? I'd never call it Jackie Chan's best film but the fight in the pachinko parlor is pretty good and the sequence in the junkyard is just brutal.

I just watched this for the first time a few weeks ago. Loved the first half hour or so with the car chase, I haven't seen a Fast and Furious movie but I assume that's what it'd be like if Jackie Chan was in one. The bad guy is some english speaking dude named Cougar and is just hilarious in how serious he's portrayed with how poorly he speaks. Lots of guns and people getting shot too which I found unusual, some of it was ok though. Once that junkyard torture scene happens I sort of check out, it's really brutal in an off putting way and the movie just slows down from there.

Also it's one of the films where Jackie had to use stunt double to do action scenes and it's pretty obvious when it's not him.

Police Story 4/First Strike is my personal favorite, but you can't go wrong with most of his catalog. Jackie's charm is his humor in every fight, the seamless action choreo, and the ridiculous nature of each stunt. It's not brutal like the rest of the films you've listed.

Guess I'll rewatch his stuff now too. It's been a while.

Watched a lot of Jackie Chan films over the last week

The Young Master
Project A
Police Story
Armour of God
Police Story 2
Operation Condor
Super Cop
Drunken Master 2
Rumble In The Bronx
First Strike

My favorites ended up being Police Story 1 and Drunken Master 2. While I did enjoy all the crazy stunts and fight choreography in every movie, those two had the best pacing and some of my favorite fights. Less wacky stunts and more furious yet creative choreography.

Edit: and yeah, that Wheels on Meals fight is insane

Matticers

Who Am I? is my personal favorite. I thought First Strike was fun and it's kind of slept on compared to some of his other movies. Gorgeous is good too. And then there's of course the Rush Hour movies, Rumble in the Bronx, etc.

RedSwirl

Drunken Master 2 is on Netflix, and most of the good ones are available to rent digitally on Amazon and iTunes

For a while now I've been interested in figuring out how to get my hands on Chan's older stuff -- the 80's and early 90's Hong Kong stuff like Drunken Master and Police Story. Is any of the Amazon stuff Prime? If not I guess it'll be worth a rental.

I think, in terms of his good stuff, start with Drunken Master and end with Rumble in the Bronx or Rush Hour.

Drunken Master is my favourite overall. I much prefer the slapstick humour of his HK films to the self referential cheese of most of his US output. I have lost interest in his new stuff to be honest.

Mahonay

Banned
I think, in terms of his good stuff, start with Drunken Master and end with Rumble in the Bronx or Rush Hour.

Drunken Master is my favourite overall. I much prefer the slapstick humour of his HK films to the self referential cheese of most of his US output. I have lost interest in his new stuff to be honest.
Rumble in the Bronx ranks pretty low for me. Not terrible, but also not in the pantheon of great Jackie Chan movies.

Kelsdesu

Sir..im not about to give you a selection. I know GAF came thtough. What I WILL do is tell you this. If you are of age and in California, or Colorado. Take the weekend off. Gather all of the films suggested. Smoke copious amounts of ganja, eat great food and watch the recommendations.

You're welcome.

Mahonay

Banned
Sir..im not about to give you a selection. I know GAF came thtough. What I WILL do is tell you this. If you are of age and in California, or Colorado. Take the weekend off. Gather all of the films suggested. Smoke copious amounts of ganja, eat great food and watch the recommendations.

You're welcome.
giphy.gif

Mahonay

Banned
Watch em all
I did. Over a long time tho
I've seen the majority up to the early 2000s. Haven't seen a whole lot past that point. The Tuxedo really did me in. Shanghai Knights is probably the last new one I saw.

Jackie needs a JCVD equivalent.

Wolfe

His 70's and 80's movies were his greatest works. He had a few good ones in the 90's and 00's.

These are my faves:

Snake in the Eagle's Shadow
Drunken Master 1 and 2
Project A Part 1 and Part 2
Police Story 1-3
Armor of God 1 and 2
Young Master
Dragon Lord
Wheels on Meals
Dragons Forever
Who Am I?

Please let me know what you think of them.

Great list, Wheels on Meals and Dragons Forever being two of my favorites.

DemonNite

Here's some deeper cuts I think are underappreciated:

Miracles / Mr. Canton and Lady Rose/ The Canton Godfather/ Black Dragon (1989)

Jackie himself stated that this was one of his favorite movies I think---if not his favorite. Anyway, it deals with a kid (Jackie) from the countryside accidentally inheriting the leading position of a mob in 1930s Hong Kong. Anita Mui is in it and she's amazing.

Little Soldier Big General / Little Big Soldier (2010)

One of the more enjoyable pieces of new/commerical Mainland China cinema. It's kind of like midnight run set in the Qin Dynasty. Jackie plays a lowly footsoldier who is traveling the country with a rival General, looking to earn bounty money, but the two men slowly become friends. Not too much action if that's what you came in looking for.

I did a post a while ago of some of the cooler 2000s and later fight scenes of Jackie, I'll look it up.

Good choices... although Miracles isn't one of my favourites, it DOES have one of my favourite combination kicks in any of his movies

wsPOgc.gif

Top Bottom