• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When was the last time you went shopping in a physical store?

Ogodei

I still don't quite see the merit in buying groceries online. How do you make sure they pick the best fruit, or get the milk in the expiration date range that you prefer?

I went to the grocery store today at like 3AM (best time to go). I usually go once a week to take advantage of any deals for thing I need.

But other than a grocery store? I don't know the last time I've been in a physical store. Many years.

Online grocery shopping isn't really feasible where I live. City is too small, population density of the area is too low. There are local services available for it, and they will do things like go to different stores to price compare and make sure they get the freshest stuff, but the fee is a little too high to make it an attractive option. So I still need to do that every couple of weeks.

But for anything else, I shop in an actual physical store maybe once every 6 months or so. Most of the time just for something to do. Besides food, there's nothing I need to go out to buy that someone won't deliver right to my door for free.

neptunes

You probably should have prefaced your thread title with "Leisure" items that you don't buy routinely (shoes, dress clothes, small appliances) not consumables.

That's what you meant right?

I still don't quite see the merit in buying groceries online. How do you make sure they pick the best fruit, or get the milk in the expiration date range that you prefer?

You don't. You just hope for the best. Convenience over quality, in case that wasn't obvious enough already.

I still do most shopping at regular stores. Outside of like games/electronics/random things, I buy groceries in supermarkets and do clothing shopping in malls

gutshot

Stores I have been to within the past couple weeks:

Kroger
Food Lion
Costco
Home Depot
Barnes & Noble
Target
Toys 'R Us
Party City
Dollar Tree

And we have a Prime subscription that we use all the time.

Aside from food and groceries, I don't even know actually. I pre-ordered a game at GameStop a couple weeks back, but that's about it. When it comes to clothes and other personal needs, I've pretty much ordered everything online.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Home owner here

Feels like we drive by Home Depot or Lowes just to throw money in the door and leave. There's always something that needs replacing or updating.

Clothes and stuff usually gets delivered unless we're going to the outlet mall.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I still go regularly. Grocery shopping, home maintenance stuff, and so on.

Don't most people? I do order stuff online now and then, but I don't order EVERYTHING online.

In hindsight yes that seems to be a flaw in this.

PS: Ton of GAFers know me and that I'm not a shut in. Lol

What flaw? I'm not sure what you are trying to find out? People go to the grocery store, they go to the pharmacy, some form of hardware store, etc all the time.

smurfx

get some go again
i got to the grocery store all the time. hell i just got back from there like an hour ago. went to best buy a couple of days ago to pick up a game.

Lombax

Banned
CSA, Farms, and a local grocery store one a week [we will prob switch to thrive next month].
Local coffee shop once a day.
Local hardware store at least once a weekend.
Local power equipment store for motor oil, filters, etc.
Local feed store for dog food / chicken food
Local green house for plants / fruit trees.

Last month we did take our daughter to a Zara for back to school clothing.

Amazon for everything else.

I'm shopping right now. I will be going to The Exchange later in the day.

Ooh! And The Salvation Army to get clothes for work.

inner-G

Banned
All the time...

Groceries, Best Buy, Sporting Goods store (I play golf), local hydroponics store... I go a lot of places.

Also, are Farmer's Markets a store?

I go to target frequently for stuff. Went yesterday. I also go to Barnes and Noble but usually just for the atmosphere lol.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Grocery store every week. Furniture store last weekend. Hardware store as well.

Despite what I read about my generations disdain for brick and mortar, I still go to physical stores.

WolfeTone

Not counting the grocery store or corner store, which I go to multiple times per week, I went to a Banana Republic and some other clothing stores yesterday. I prefer buying clothes in stores since I can actually try them on before buying.

Other than clothing, I go to Best Buy and homeware/hardware stores on an as-needed basis. I tend to buy most of my games digitally, but I'll pop into Best Buy for a bit if I need a charging cable or something.

Excluding grocery stores when thinking about it I rarely go to stores, but that is due to the fact my wife seems to due that pretty often, Target and Walmart for example. I do buy items other than groceries at Costco however, so I guess that counts. So for me probably once every two weeks outside of grocery stores.

Raptomex

Yesterday I went to Best Buy. I go to the mall with my friend frequently since there's a lot of game shops in that area.

djlr181

I go to the Best Buy in NYC that's 24 hours somewhat often. Nice to pick up Nintendo games for midnight launch with GCU discount.

Top Bottom